Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

zoux posted:

It’s the fan base actually

I'm going to push back against that. The fan base in general is fine, there are just toxic personages in there that poo poo things up for everyone else, both fans and non fans alike. Unfortunately they're becoming more and more vocal and reveling in their toxicity. Sadly you see it everywhere and in everything now.

I lived through posting about the Prequels on message boards as they were being released. And there was wide disagreement, dissatisfaction and disapproval, it was managed more or less. Now every rear end in a top hat with a camera can post whatever they want on YouTube and spread the message far and wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I personally liked how tlj undid a lot of Star Wars tropes and set up a potential Star Wars sequel without a main boss, where all the big weapons are out of the picture and the armies are exhausted and broken, a redemption story that lets the fantastic actors in this trilogy act for once. But instead we're getting Abrams "no one ever really dies" emperor return, because something remotely cerebral about change and forgiveness in a tentpole series would just be too risque. It's gonna be nonstop platitudes about good and evil and yes I'll be there opening day why do you ask

Edit: of course I'd love to be completely wrong and early impressions are all over the place

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 17, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teek posted:

I'm going to push back against that. The fan base in general is fine, there are just toxic personages in there that poo poo things up for everyone else, both fans and non fans alike. Unfortunately they're becoming more and more vocal and reveling in their toxicity. Sadly you see it everywhere and in everything now.

I lived through posting about the Prequels on message boards as they were being released. And there was wide disagreement, dissatisfaction and disapproval, it was managed more or less. Now every rear end in a top hat with a camera can post whatever they want on YouTube and spread the message far and wide.

I'm fine amending it to toxic fans but the effect is the same: I'm so goddamn tired of all these (arguing about) Star Wars

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Donovan Trip posted:

I personally liked how tlj undid a lot of Star Wars tropes and set up a potential Star Wars sequel without a main boss, where all the big weapons are out of the picture and the armies are exhausted and broken, a redemption story that lets the fantastic actors in this trilogy act for once. But instead we're getting Abrams "no one ever really dies" emperor return, because something remotely cerebral about change and forgiveness in a tentpole series would just be too risque. It's gonna be nonstop platitudes about good and evil and yes I'll be there opening day why do you ask

Edit: of course I'd love to be completely wrong and early impressions are all over the place

imagine a star wars trilogy third act that’s about change and forgiveness. only rian johnson could conceive of such a cerebral film. shame

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I never said he should have made the third one, what are you smoking? I said something remotely cerebral, meaning just a little, because that isn't what Star Wars is known for and would be a more interesting conclusion imo

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 17, 2019

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
https://twitter.com/ThinkHero/status/1206990402915459072?s=20

That should about cover it. Only people left out are those who didn't like both TFA and TLJ.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Donovan Trip posted:

That's what I like about it too but if the rumors are true about the tie in between the new movie and Mandalorian (potentially big spoiler) the remnants of the empire used the force power drained from baby yoda by those scientists to resurrect the emperor boy that's gonna be dumb as hell

Yeah I was really hoping that he was so immersed in the dark side that he could prolong his life indefinitely, and we were going to learn an important lesson in accepting the end of things and a Taoistic kind of balance between life and death kind of like Cob in le Guin's The Farthest Shore.

If they do what you said... who am I kidding I'll probably still like it, it's space lasers and Wookies poo poo. It could be two hours of Darth Vader farting through his respirator and I'll eat that poo poo up.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

CornHolio posted:

It could be two hours of Darth Vader farting through his respirator and I'll eat that poo poo up.

then this leaked footage of a thrilling space battle should excite you:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

this was worth every second

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I hope Mando gets a gun that shoots lightsabers.

It's a thing.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Knight2m posted:

It's a thing.

Dildo gun?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm still working my way through this thread but if anyone hasn't said it yet, Mando should fight a Rancor.

Show is hella loving good

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

Planet Boston sounds like my jam.

They're the galaxy's most insufferable pod racing fans. Won the Tattooine Cup for three of the past five years.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sebulba is a born Patriot

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

If every planet can have its own Ireland, it inevitably follows they must have their own Boston, too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

kiimo posted:

I don't know enough about NFL to take that personally.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

Tom Brady is a cheating piece of poo poo basically

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There’s some neat EU stuff they could incorporate for plots. I remember one idea from the RPG was a very rare sniper rifle that used super expensive blaster gas to fire an invisible bolt, combined with a disposable single-shot blaster you could snipe to fire a bolt from a different direction at your target. The only evidence would be some virtually unidentifiable crystal shards left by the crime scene.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

The Patriots just got busted for cheating for a third time in their glorious reign of tainted titles

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

kiimo posted:

The Patriots just got busted for cheating for a third time in their glorious reign of tainted titles

That's the Boston i love from afar

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

kiimo posted:

lmao

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm gonna take a stab and say that Space Boston is Corellia.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

PunkBoy posted:

Wha' you neveh heard of the melenium falcon?
Well gently caress YOU.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Senor Tron posted:

I love modern prestige TV which is essentially movie directors making 10 hour movies, but I'm absolutely adoring how The Mandalorian just gives an episode and that's it. No overwhelming cliffhangers, no big twists, just a great half hour each week of TV you can look forward to and enjoy watching.

As someone put it “single dad goes out to look for a job”

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PunkBoy posted:

That’s not wrong.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Rocksicles posted:

Planet Boston sounds like my jam.

Pronounced Bōstŏn

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

Wha' you neveh heard of the melenium falcon?
Well gently caress YOU.

*stairs at Fenway Park*

"what a piece of junk!!"

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Prediction for next season: move over baby Yoda and make room for our new star BABY JABBA

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Wasn't that god awful Clone Wars animated movie about that?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Bust Rodd posted:

I showed my brother the Bill Burr episode as his first taste of the Mando he loved it, I think it’s a great intro to the series if you’ve only got time for one episode.
Yeah, I don't know what it is. Bill Burr in a role that fits his manners ends up feeling the most natural when it comes to dialog, even compared to the other actors/roles. He needs to be in more stuff.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, I don't know what it is. Bill Burr in a role that fits his manners ends up feeling the most natural when it comes to dialog, even compared to the other actors/roles. He needs to be in more stuff.

I don't think he really enjoys acting. He's all about the easy life these days and he's doing a lot of comedy stuff behind the scenes for other people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1207105488258625536

Good lord in heaven

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I was at work and didn't have a chance to see this.
Aw, my...so adorable :allears:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think I just read a stroke.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think Trevorrow may be a bad director.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Desperado Bones posted:

I was at work and didn't have a chance to see this.
Aw, my...so adorable :allears:

when he really belts out the song near the end I lost it

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

twistedmentat posted:

I think Trevorrow may be a bad director.

Indeed. Seems hard to gently caress up Jurassic Park, I even liked the 3rd one. When he was announced the only solice I found was in the fact that there'd be a huge committee pulling his strings.

The idea of studio control doesn't usually fill me with hope

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Indeed. Seems hard to gently caress up Jurassic Park, I even liked the 3rd one. When he was announced the only solice I found was in the fact that there'd be a huge committee pulling his strings.

The idea of studio control doesn't usually fill me with hope

Yea, people were just starved for good dino action, that's why Jurassic World did so well. It's a pretty bad movie, and mean as gently caress when you think about it. Why does the death of the assistant shot in a way she deserved it? She was never cruel to the kids or anything, but nope, she's eaten by a mosaraur in the way a villain would be. Plus there's plots introduced that go nowhere, like the kids are worried their parents are getting a divorce! Also the military guy wants to ship out the Raptors right away, even though its pretty clear that they are uncontrollable, even by Chris Pratt, all he can do is calm then down.

I've not seen Book of Henry, but I'm on the live show for the Flophouse and its just a WTF movie.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

twistedmentat posted:

Why does the death of the assistant shot in a way she deserved it?

Ok so I'm not the only one that thought this.

They also did pretty much every tired movie trope that died circa 98. Like the only reason I can go to the theater nowadays is because we left a lot of that poo poo behind but no now the T Rex is mugging for the loving camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Prediction for next season: move over baby Yoda and make room for our new star BABY JABBA

Baby jabba is trash I'm here for baby bill Burr. Don't shake the burrby!!! An bite my rear end