Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Now I'm no star wars nerd but isn't pal having multiple contingency like 80% of the EU?

Outside of fun stuff like dinosaurs turning people into oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Another thing I noticed with my recent TFA rewatch was that it almost felt more like a sequel to Spaceballs. Like each character seemed to have a more direct analogue in Spaceballs than anything in the previous Star Wars movies.

Roughly, Rey : Princess Vespa, Kylo Ren : Dark Helmet, Finn : Barf, Poe : Lone Star, Commander Hux : Colonel Sanders, Supreme Leader Snoke : President Scroob

And just in terms of style, I feel like Yogurt could've walked right on in during a scene in TFA and it would not be weird or out of place at all in that move.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Colonel Cancer posted:

Now I'm no star wars nerd but isn't pal having multiple contingency like 80% of the EU?

Yeah, it's everywhere

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Storb Worbs.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

While we're at it, you could count General Leia as Dot Matrix with her matronly demeanor and raspy Joan Rivers-esque voice.

And in some parts Harrison Ford was reminding me of Leslie Nielsen, who wasn't in Spaceballs but you could definitely picture eventually landing in a sequel to Spaceballs.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Julius CSAR posted:

I was simply using "operation cinder" as shorthand for "the entire empire is given orders to eat itself"

i wasn't talking about the term specifically. I was talking about the whole... everything

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I really loving hate the idea of Sheev having a "contingency plan" if that is how it ends up being framed. Like the entire loving point on both a material and thematic level of the final confrontation in Jedi is that Sheev eats poo poo and dies because he's too selfish and cynical to plan for a scenario in which Luke refuses to play ball and convinces Vader to do the same. He's so high on his own evil farts it legit never crosses his mind

Someone who actually watches it tell me this part afterward so I know how mad to be

Oh my God is this actually him

I think there were multiple discussions of "contingency plans" going on but if you were triggered by my using the term to describe Rey as his descendant, I didn't mean it as a pre-determined backup plan of his, just trying to (inaccurately) describe her being instrumental to the Emperor's attempt to return to power in an analogous way to Luke and Leia being "the last hope" for the Jedi previously.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

Outside of fun stuff like dinosaurs turning people into oil.

I'm glad the EU is dead

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I think there were multiple discussions of "contingency plans" going on but if you were triggered by my using the term to describe Rey as his descendant, I didn't mean it as a pre-determined backup plan of his, just trying to (inaccurately) describe her being instrumental to the Emperor's attempt to return to power in an analogous way to Luke and Leia being "the last hope" for the Jedi previously.

My post wasn't directed at anybody in particular. I'm just annoyed that they brought back Palpatine at all. If it's reasoned within Ep 9 that he survived thanks to deliberate actions he took it will make everything exponentially stupider by going back in time to ruin the best part of Jedi

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I'm glad the EU is dead

My post wasn't directed at anybody in particular. I'm just annoyed that they brought back Palpatine at all. If it's reasoned within Ep 9 that he survived thanks to deliberate actions he took it will make everything exponentially stupider by going back in time to ruin the best part of Jedi
Ah, gotcha. As far as I know (someone correct me if we got an update) but word is there's no explanation for Palpatine's presence aside from what we might extrapolate from what is apparently a bizarre "living death" physical condition we initially see him in.

Probably the most "contingency plan"-like thing we could peg on him is that he might have mastered the Darth Plegieius (however the gently caress you spell that) patented "keep yourself from dying" technique he mentioned in Episode III, and even then I imagine that's more like the Dark Side equivalent to taking French night classes at the community college than it is him being specifically concerned his evil plans could ever possibly fail.

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 18, 2019

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sounds like they still barely explain poo poo. Thanks JJ, you loving hack.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
#jjabramsisoverparty is trending on twitter because the ending has leaked on reddit and everyone is furious (without having actually seen it, to be fair).

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I really loving hate the idea of Sheev having a "contingency plan" if that is how it ends up being framed. Like the entire loving point on both a material and thematic level of the final confrontation in Jedi is that Sheev eats poo poo and dies because he's too selfish and cynical to plan for a scenario in which Luke refuses to play ball and convinces Vader to do the same. He's so high on his own evil farts it legit never crosses his mind

It's essentially the same as Sauron, though much more explicitly stated as shown, he's extremely powerful but so far gone that he is utterly incapable of fathoming that anyone can truly be motivated by anything other than fear, hatred or power.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i dont think its specifically about sheeve dying at endor. i think it was something he set up like years and years before as a deadman switch in case he ever died of old age or some rebel or imperial blew his brains out on the toilet or some jedi got lucky, or he fell down some stairs.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TheBizzness posted:

#jjabramsisoverparty is trending on twitter because the ending has leaked on reddit and everyone is furious (without having actually seen it, to be fair).

yeah, i saw parts of the leak. looks pretty loving dumb. that being said, i don't know full context and such.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
There's a wookiee but this time he's wearing an eyepatch!!!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
STAR

WARS

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_rise_of_skywalker/

Guys, I think this movie might not be so good.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

It's okay. The OT is no longer canon, only the prequels and sequels are canon now. They're later gonna tell the story of how the rebels non-revolutionarily reformed the Empire and who that "Luke" guy is, and how they sank the Death Star on the water planet etc.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

That's kinda hosed up he just wanted to be an evil Sith Empress.

Priscilla Sheev: Queen of The Death Star

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

53% lmaoooo

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

The bad news: Rise of Skywalker is apparently not a great Star Wars movie.
The good news: sounds like it's a pretty decent Legend of Zelda movie!

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
No one would kiss in a Zelda movie, that's ridiculous.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lmao my friend said it was about as good as battlefield earth

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Somewhere, Rian Johnson is smiling

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

FizFashizzle posted:

lmao my friend said it was about as good as battlefield earth

So lots of Dutch angles then?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I hope that Rey will get clone called Reey at some point in the EU.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Collider: ‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’ Review: What a Piece of Junk
https://collider.com/rise-of-skywalker-review/

Slashfilm: ‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’ Review: The Saga Ends With a Rushed, Disappointing Finale
https://www.slashfilm.com/the-rise-of-skywalker-review/

Vox: The Rise of Skywalker is what happens when a franchise gives up. The new movie is a colossal failure of imagination.
https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/12/18/21021188/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-review-no-spoilers

New York Times: “The Rise of Skywalker” isn't a great “Star Wars” movie, but that may be because there is no such thing.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/18/movies/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-review.html

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

MorgaineDax posted:

Guys, I think this movie might not be so good.

Good, good. Everything is proceeding exactly as I have foreseen it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
q: when the Emperor heard of poor reviews for Rise of Sywalker what happened?

a: he got Palpatations

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
sheev: i am all the sith

rey: i am all the jedi

then she reflects his lightning back at him and kills him and that's loving it lmao

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
CON-SOOOOOOME

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Horizon Burning posted:

then she reflects his lightning back at him and kills him and that's loving it lmao

lmfao

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

Good thing we brought back Sheev for this.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Wow drat, seems like Yoda almost had him back in Revenge of the Sith.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
if theres only jedi and no ore sith, how is that balanced?
prepare for a new age of jedi fascism with no sith around to keep them in check.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ZeeBoi posted:

Somewhere, Rian Johnson is smiling

:smuggo:

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Archer666 posted:

Good thing we brought back Sheev for this.

It's about par for the course with what they've done with all the other characters they brought back.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Looper, too.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Horizon Burning posted:

Uhh he didn’t die from the lightning he went into hiding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

It's going to be BvS all over again. The nerd arguments are revving up as we speak.