Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't because I refuse to click on any thumbnail with youtube face. Every recommended video I see from him is bitching about Apple or cheaper alternative to Macs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Quinn is an unapologetic Apple fanboy, I think he oozes fanboy even more than Faruk @ iPhonedo. What makes them good Apple-centric content creators is that they don't pull punches.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't because I refuse to click on any thumbnail with youtube face. Every recommended video I see from him is bitching about Apple or cheaper alternative to Macs.

His first computer was a Mac and he’s very romantic about the past. He doesn’t knock on Apple because he hates Apple. He knocks on Apple because he loves Apple. Clickbait titles and thumbnails are part and parcel of that whole platform. It’s not just him.

There’s also some other Italian kid that is constantly trying to refurb old obsolete macs into still being productive and he’s a good channel too.

Apple truly made their machines last longer than their intended lifespan and now you have a culture of keeping those old macs running because it would be a huge blasphemy to recycle them. Core2 macs still have 10 or more years left in them :colbert:

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 14, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Others have chimed in, but if anything I roll my eyes at him because he’s too much of a fanboy.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

His first computer was a Mac and he’s very romantic about the past. He doesn’t knock on Apple because he hates Apple. He knocks on Apple because he loves Apple. Clickbait titles and thumbnails are part and parcel of that whole platform. It’s not just him.

There’s also some other Italian kid that is constantly trying to refurb old obsolete macs into still being productive and he’s a good channel too.

Apple truly made their machines last longer than their intended lifespan and now you have a culture of keeping those old macs running because it would be a huge blasphemy to recycle them. Core2 macs still have 10 or more years left in them :colbert:

You talking this guy because he’s great. https://youtu.be/9LMoCTrlDoI

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Shaocaholica posted:

i have a pile of 2011-2013 iMacs at work that i just cant throw out for some reason

eames
May 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv5HIrOrn2o

Pretty nice advertisement YouTube Video of the new Mac Pro.
I have a feeling they could have accomplished most of this on a maxed out iMac or even mini but at least they’re getting use out of the capabilities.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Trash cans are going to be hilariously overpriced forever aren't they?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Some reviewers like Snazzy Labs had to order their own Mac Pros because Apple didn’t send them one.
Good.

eames
May 9, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Trash cans are going to be hilariously overpriced forever aren't they?

Not if the mini keeps getting updated. I wouldn’t bother though, sooner or later Apple will require a T1/T2 chip for macOS.

eames fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 14, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I don’t disagree. Although I like Quinn more than most of the reviewers.

Honestly in terms of reviewers- so not people like Rossman- the only one that really kinda rubs me the wrong way is Dave Lee, even though you could probably credit him with catalyzing a lot of the butterfly MBP hate that got us the new 16”. Then there’s all of the c-tier dudes, who all appear to be European, with mostly nothingburger channels, but I never watch them.

And then there’s Renee, who I find super perplexing because I don’t know how somebody can continuously generate such a high volume of thoughtful, painstaking, sincere deep-dive content about stuff that has such little consequence. Like, ‘happy Monday, here’s a 45 minute round table with three guests about why Apple is correct about the notch.’ ‘Have a This American Life about Apple TV+‘s Spring lineup’

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I don't watch Youtube reviews, every single one just seems insufferable and 95% hyperbole and clickbait. Only long form articles for me!

:corsair:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

LionArcher posted:

You talking this guy because he’s great. https://youtu.be/9LMoCTrlDoI

Just found him the other day he'll be big soon

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Just found him the other day he'll be big soon

He’s doing interesting poo poo and does a lot of good eBay pick ups and explaining how to get more value out of older macs. He’s critical on stuff that he should be, but not a moron criticizing them for stuff that doesn’t just fit his use case. And he’s somewhat like able.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I just found that guy in the last few days too. Quite enjoying his videos.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
He’s still niche. He’ll never get that big unless he does more mainstream crap. The venne diagram of people who like macs and also interested in opening them up is pretty small.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

After shuffling around 3 laptops and 3 monitors on my desk...

The MacBook Pro/Air with only 2 Thunderbolt ports is so loving inconvienent.

I really need 3 ports. External monitor, power, and USB 3.0.

Is there a cheap adapter that gives you USB 3.0 and power pass-through?

I have an LG 4K so that fixes my power/monitor. But I would like to use my 27" monitors sometimes that requires me to use either a HDMI or Displayport cable. The Apple USB/HDMI adapter doesn't support USB 3.0 so it's basically useless for external hard drives.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

The Apple USB/HDMI adapter doesn't support USB 3.0 so it's basically useless for external hard drives.

Yeah, it does. I’ve used it regularly when traveling and it works fine.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207806

If you’re looking for an alternative, check out Anker. They make a bunch that have USB-C power pass through. I think most of them are 60W (works for your Air), but they have a couple 100W ones as well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, it does. Ive used it regularly when traveling and it works fine.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207806

If youre looking for an alternative, check out Anker. They make a bunch that have USB-C power pass through. I think most of them are 60W (works for your Air), but they have a couple 100W ones as well.

Must be a revised version. The two that I have, don't even work in 2.0 half the time. Drive randomly dissappears etc. They are back from like 2016 though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, Fstoppers did a video about that adapter I think and tons of people had different experiences with what it actually supported.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Bob Morales posted:

After shuffling around 3 laptops and 3 monitors on my desk...

The MacBook Pro/Air with only 2 Thunderbolt ports is so loving inconvienent.

I really need 3 ports. External monitor, power, and USB 3.0.

Is there a cheap adapter that gives you USB 3.0 and power pass-through?

I have an LG 4K so that fixes my power/monitor. But I would like to use my 27" monitors sometimes that requires me to use either a HDMI or Displayport cable. The Apple USB/HDMI adapter doesn't support USB 3.0 so it's basically useless for external hard drives.

I got this one and it seems to be working very well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z7H3GJK/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

They did just release new versions of the adapter in August/September, they may be USB 3.0? I can't tell you because at the same time Apple removed the product from our purchasing slice out :v:

Those things also break extremely easily, I go through about 2-3 per year per conference room.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

IFIXIT TEARDOWN

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac+Pro+2019+Teardown/128922

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I still can't believe its single socket. I still want one eventually from the used market. Hopefully they'll be 2 socket in the next revision.

e: gonna make this my desktop for a bit

e2: looks like the case locking mechanism is a like a camera bayonet mount. Very sleek.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 17, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So about a year ago I got assigned a 2015 mbp 15 for work. My last two work laptops were 2016+ mbp 13, never had any complaints about screen brightness

Are there issues with 15" 2015 era mbp laptop screens getting dim over the years? I expect there to be some fall off, 5-10%, but this is at least 15%. Considering pushing for a replacement at work. It's getting ridiculous, I'm having to draw the blinds to actively use the terminal

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The 2016+ MBPs are straight up brighter.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Linguica posted:

The 2016+ MBPs are straight up brighter.

:yup:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

According to Apple:

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp719?locale=en_US

Mid-2015 Retina 15-inch MacBook Pro: maximum screen brightness is 300 nits

vs.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP747?locale=en_US

2016 Retina 15-inch MacBook Pro: maximum brightness is 500 nits

So yeah it checks out, although I imagine if the 2015 was heavily used, perhaps the screen backlighting needs replacement (translation: new LCD assembly)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 17, 2019

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Apple’s been using LED backlights in the 15” since at least the 2012 retina model. LEDs do fade with use, but unless you were running the display at max brightness 24/7, a 4-5 year old LED backlight shouldn’t be faded too much.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1207071085251854337?s=19

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

:laugh:

Though people are basically paying the premium for upgradability.

(Though what a premium it is)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SourKraut posted:

:laugh:

Though people are basically paying the premium for upgradability.

(Though what a premium it is)

The iMac Pro is $5k vs. the Mac Pro $6k, it's not that big of a leap.

Is the GPU in the Mac Pro better? I don't know how the Vega 56 vs 580x shakes out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FCKGW posted:

The iMac Pro is $5k vs. the Mac Pro $6k, it's not that big of a leap.

Is the GPU in the Mac Pro better? I don't know how the Vega 56 vs 580x shakes out.

A big “if” is the display here. You can’t exactly go out and buy a comparable display to the 5k iMac’s unless you go for the LG Ultrafine at $1300. And if you wanna go better, we already know how much the XDR display costs.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

My top of the line 2016 MacBook Pro with touchbar just poo poo the bed

Apparently the logic board died, and the Apple affiliated store I went to charges 2,500 dollars to replace it :aaa:

Apparently it’s all packed so tight together that you have to replace the whole thing. Unbelievable.

Not that I needed the tech guy to tell me, but at that price I’d rather buy a new machine, just wondering how is this even possible.

I’m going to try going directly to Apple support, but this is insane. Pretty mad about this, a laptop that just dies after 3 years with no possibility of repair, and apparently even the data is gone because it’s tied to some flash mem, loving ridiculous.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Apparently the logic board died, and the Apple affiliated store I went to charges 2,500 dollars to replace it :aaa:

Apparently it’s all packed so tight together that you have to replace the whole thing. Unbelievable.

Not that I needed the tech guy to tell me, but at that price I’d rather buy a new machine, just wondering how is this even possible.

I’m going to try going directly to Apple support, but this is insane. Pretty mad about this, a laptop that just dies after 3 years with no possibility of repair, and apparently even the data is gone because it’s tied to some flash mem, loving ridiculous.

I admittedly have been out of the loop on costs for repairing Apple products but that estimate can't be anywhere close to the truth, I have a feeling the "Apple associated" store employee was trying to make a sale.

Can you provide more details about where you are, or what store you went to?

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/Oh right, that too

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Uh unless you poured water on it, it’s still under warranty.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol if its under warranty and they didn't catch it and were going to charge you $2400.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

asecondduck posted:

I admittedly have been out of the loop on costs for repairing Apple products but that estimate can't be anywhere close to the truth, I have a feeling the "Apple associated" store employee was trying to make a sale.

Can you provide more details about where you are, or what store you went to?

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/Oh right, that too

I’m in Mexico so there’s no “genuine” Apple stores here, only affiliates licensed by Apple.

I’m going to pick it up tomorrow and call Apple directly to see if they can do anything, this is ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Just ordered the 16inch to replace my 15 2013. I also purchased the leather sleeve. Feels like I should just return it is there anything that will be comparable? I have the iPad sleeve which matches but 200 for a case feels stupid