Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Glumslinger posted:

Didn't he legitimately get a job as a programmer for the federal government?

...this explains a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Billy Gnosis posted:

Please don't be Mr Pickle's

(I don't even like the food much just the mascot)

Nah its a small local spot. But its so gooood. Moron of an owner just couldn't help himself from posting dumb conservative crap on his business' facebook page.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

The Glumslinger posted:

Didn't he legitimately get a job as a programmer for the federal government?

i hope it was to maintain the old COBOL poo poo, because lol wow that stuff is the most spaghetti bullshit you ever could see. ramen block might be a better description

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Admiral Ray posted:

i hope it was to maintain the old COBOL poo poo, because lol wow that stuff is the most spaghetti bullshit you ever could see. ramen block might be a better description

Healthcare.gov. He was part of the rollout team. :v:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The AB5 hammer dropped on the SB Nation sports-team blogs that are the origins of the Vox blogging fiefdom. You can see management's announcement and the ensuing comments section fracas, or the CNBC story that's a little less bullshit-filled.

Either way, a lot of people who used to be just barely above unpaid fan bloggers are now back to being unpaid fan bloggers again. Not great for unestablished enthusiast writers in general.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Or you know, Vox could have just hired them all on as full time employees with benefits like they deserve to be, and still made money hand over fist because paying for those people is a drop in the loving bucket for a gigantic media conglomerate.

But nah let's blame California and ~burdensome regulations~ that have forced a poor, multi-billion dollar company to let hundreds of contractors they were underpaying go. :jerkbag:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Not that it matters really but it’s also causing super shuttle to shut down.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/founded-in-1983-at-lax-supershuttle-is-going-out-of-business/2276142/

Also the rumors that the Disneyland shuttle from lax will also stop come the new year.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

MarcusSA posted:

Not that it matters really but it’s also causing super shuttle to shut down.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/founded-in-1983-at-lax-supershuttle-is-going-out-of-business/2276142/

Also the rumors that the Disneyland shuttle from lax will also stop come the new year.

Nooooo SuperShuttle

Eh gently caress em. Finish that new Metro line direct to the airport

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

quote:

SuperShuttle is owned by an affiliate of Blackstreet Capital Holdings, a private investment firm based in Bethesda, Maryland, court documents show. Blackstreet describes itself as specializing in acquiring small or mid-size firms "that are in out-of-favor industries or are undergoing some form of transition."

lmao

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Nooooo SuperShuttle

Eh gently caress em. Finish that new Metro line direct to the airport

Lol see you in 2022 (we hope).

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

btw, has anyone tried to check their registration using the LA county registration-checker thing?

this one, right here, I mean. I just checked myself, my mom and my grandmother and we were all apparently no longer registered to vote. I haven't changed my address in years and my ma and grandma haven't in decades. Kinda sketch.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sydin posted:

Or you know, Vox could have just hired them all on as full time employees with benefits like they deserve to be, and still made money hand over fist because paying for those people is a drop in the loving bucket for a gigantic media conglomerate.

But nah let's blame California and ~burdensome regulations~ that have forced a poor, multi-billion dollar company to let hundreds of contractors they were underpaying go. :jerkbag:

There’s not an absence of sports journalists, however. The Athletic seems to be doing well, and SB Nation and it’s ilk clearly isn’t murdering ESPN’s old guard. The problem with bills like this is it starts off from a place like, “career cabbies have been hurt the hardest by Uber letting every John and Jane Doe into their business and drive down their wages”, and applies it to every industry.

When I was a kid, I wanted to write about video games. But either you were xXSephiroth69 on the GameFAQs message boards or you were one of the few people that worked at a select number of magazines. The freelancer blogging industry has allowed a lot of people to be able to get a position writing about something they love without it having to be their career job. This kind of legislation says nah, that hurts the labor value of guys who have been working for IGN since the PS2 days, I should go back to being an unpaid message board poster. If I can’t find someone willing to give me health insurance for my hot takes on Pokemon, I am only driving down the earnings potential of Having Hot Takes with my cheap punditry.

I don’t think my opinions on games deserve a full time career with benefits and pensions, but I’d sure like something a little more guaranteed or with a little more visibility than running my own podcast and a Patreon.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 17, 2019

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
You're right, we should have UBI and UHC.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Craptacular! posted:

There’s not an absence of sports journalists, however. The Athletic seems to be doing well, and SB Nation and it’s ilk clearly isn’t murdering ESPN’s old guard. The problem with bills like this is it starts off from a place like, “career cabbies have been hurt the hardest by Uber letting every John and Jane Doe into their business and drive down their wages”, and applies it to every industry.

When I was a kid, I wanted to write about video games. But either you were xXSephiroth69 on the GameFAQs message boards or you were one of the few people that worked at a select number of magazines. The freelancer blogging industry has allowed a lot of people to be able to get a position writing about something they love without it having to be their career job. This kind of legislation says nah, that hurts the labor value of guys who have been working for IGN since the PS2 days, I should go back to being an unpaid message board poster. If I can’t find someone willing to give me health insurance for my hot takes on Pokemon, I am only driving down the earnings potential of Having Hot Takes with my cheap punditry.

I don’t think my opinions on games deserve a full time career with benefits and pensions, but I’d sure like something a little more guaranteed or with a little more visibility than running my own podcast and a Patreon.

You are straw-manning the bill by claiming it's about protecting the cab industry. While I'm sure the cab industry lobbied hard for it because driving up the price of an Uber or Lyft ride is seen as a benefit for them, the primary goal of AB5 was to prevent the exploitation of gig economy workers themselves. My roommate works Doordash as his primary job because trying to find a non-STEM job in the Bay Area is like pulling teeth, and he makes less than minimum wage for working 40+ hours of deliveries a week once he subtracts the cost of gas, the increased auto insurance premium you're forced to pay if you're working a job like Doordash/Uber, and the healthcare plan he has to pay for out of pocket. Meanwhile he's got not 401k, no pension, etc. From what I understand this is not an experience unique to him, and having one of these jobs as your sole source of income for a household is borderline impossible. It's usually just supplemental over another job.

SB Nation is an example of how the independent contractor system has been abused. They have a ton of "freelancers" who are contributing a huge volume of articles to these sites, providing clicks and ad revenue for Vox, but not reaping any benefit besides a pittance per article. They have no job security. No benefits. No recourse if Vox decides tomorrow "actually nah we don't need your articles anymore." Sorry but if you're contributing more than 3 articles a month on average to a site, then you're probably helping drive that site's revenues and deserve to be compensated fairly for it! But of course companies are going to kick and scream and cry about how they can't afford this burdensome legislation because giving a couple hundred people actual pay and benefits means at the next shareholders meeting they'll have to explain to the board why profits only went up 0.4% last quarter when Wall Street predicted 0.5% growth.

AB5 is good and I hope companies that continue to try to abuse independent contractor status get resultingly pasted.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Sydin posted:

Vox is owned (in part) by SkyNBCUniversalComcast so it's not like they couldn't just hire the writers if they wanted to.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Hnnng. I just had a fantasy of gig platforms being collectively owned by a group of several local employee worker owned cooperatives.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The goal is going to be to cause a little short term pain so that their readers will scream at the government about it.

Long term, they're going to need content, they're going to need to hire people to do it. Or they're going to close. If their business model is stringing people along at piss-poor wages so that they can make a buck then my personal opinion is that they can gently caress off. Close already. Life will go on.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

btw, has anyone tried to check their registration using the LA county registration-checker thing?

this one, right here, I mean. I just checked myself, my mom and my grandmother and we were all apparently no longer registered to vote. I haven't changed my address in years and my ma and grandma haven't in decades. Kinda sketch.

California had a whoopsie

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/california-voter-registration-dmv-automatic-14902100.php

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The goal is going to be to cause a little short term pain so that their readers will scream at the government about it.

Long term, they're going to need content, they're going to need to hire people to do it. Or they're going to close. If their business model is stringing people along at piss-poor wages so that they can make a buck then my personal opinion is that they can gently caress off. Close already. Life will go on.

The only people I'm hearing complaining about the law right now freelance writers.

There's 90,000 journalists *total* in the entire country.

Uber "employs" millions of drivers.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

that article says it was an isolated computer glitch in contra costa county and the poster said their voter registration got deleted from los angeles county. weird how there all these isolated computer glitches in unrelated voter registration systems across the state right before the primary election!!!

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Min wage is raising again on the first so prepare for a whole slew of these articles

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2019/12/15/restaurants-closing-minimum-wage-increase/amp/

"Oh no, my lovely business model that relies on paying slave wages doesn't work in Commifornia!!!" And of course no one is going to dig into the books of these restaurants and realize just how mismanaged they must have been that the wage ticking up a buck drives them out of business.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"Small business owners are almost all universally insane" - Justin "donoteat01" Roczniak

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Shear Modulus posted:

that article says it was an isolated computer glitch in contra costa county and the poster said their voter registration got deleted from los angeles county. weird how there all these isolated computer glitches in unrelated voter registration systems across the state right before the primary election!!!

Yeah it sure is odd how many glitches we have that just happen to unregister people from the unnecessary voter suppression tactic that is voter registration.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Min wage is raising again on the first so prepare for a whole slew of these articles

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2019/12/15/restaurants-closing-minimum-wage-increase/amp/

"Oh no, my lovely business model that relies on paying slave wages doesn't work in Commifornia!!!" And of course no one is going to dig into the books of these restaurants and realize just how mismanaged they must have been that the wage ticking up a buck drives them out of business.

Oh yeah seeing a lot of "california is the worst state to run a business in" posting from the worlds 5th largest economy.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
"Nobody wants to live in California, it's too full." - Yogi Berra

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Sydin posted:

"Small business owners are almost all universally insane" - Justin "donoteat01" Roczniak

Running a small business drives you insane. It really does. It's really incredibly hard and most people can't do it, and only the truly competent or truly evil (because they just gently caress over their employees for their own benefit) succeed at it.

They say the #1 successful small business is one where the owner has identified something that was lacking in an industry that they themselves worked in prior and seek to fill it. Competence really does win.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I mean they do say that restaurants are a bad investment and incredibly low margin

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
PG&E executives were being paid massive bonuses for years for "meeting safety goals."

quote:

State regulators have identified a years-long pattern of poor maintenance at PG&E that violated state regulations and led to the deadliest fire in California history, 2018's Camp fire, which killed 85 people.

But from 2012 to 2017, PG&E paid its five top executives roughly $17 million in bonuses, including special payments for exceeding public and employee safety benchmarks, Securities and Exchange Commission filings show. Every year during that period, except 2016, PG&E's executive pay was boosted by safety performance that the company said had exceeded its goals. During most of that period, the utility, which serves more than 5 million households in central and northern California, was paying off more than $1 billion in penalties and fines for the 2010 San Bruno pipeline explosion, which killed eight people.

The executives received the bonuses even in 2015, when two people died in a wildfire tied to its equipment.

PG&E's board has historically reviewed the company's safety performance each year, overseeing goals and policies "with respect to promoting a strong safety culture," regulatory filings show.

In 2015, the year of the so-called Butte fire in which two people died, PG&E's safety performance exceeded its targets, the filings show, and accounted for half of the bonus calculation, generating $4.3 million in incentive compensation to PG&E's five top executives. "The Safety component was structured to provide a strong focus on the safety of employees, customers and communities," the company said in the filings.

Company financial performance also affects executives' bonuses at PG&E, but instead of docking their pay for the costs of the San Bruno explosion, one of its biggest safety lapses, the company has removed more than $1 billion of those costs from its earnings calculations and thus the compensation equation in recent years. This translated into higher bonuses for executives between 2011 and 2018 than would have been paid if the costs had been part of the earnings and bonus arithmetic.

In 2015 alone, the company paid $578 million in fines but exempted this amount from the bonus math.

PG&E says in regulatory filings that it excludes certain costs from its bonus calculations that "do not reflect the normal course of operations."

The former top executives at PG&E who received the bonuses either declined to comment, did not return phone calls or could not be reached.

:thermidor:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

You see if california just lowered minimum wage to 7.50 like THE REST OF US the free market would take care of the wild fires.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
People that don't support a living wage genuinely deserve the death penalty

Or, okay, I'll settle for "dragged through the streets until SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY INJURED, while pelted with poo poo and rotten fruit"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sydin posted:

You are straw-manning the bill by claiming it's about protecting the cab industry. While I'm sure the cab industry lobbied hard for it because driving up the price of an Uber or Lyft ride is seen as a benefit for them, the primary goal of AB5 was to prevent the exploitation of gig economy workers themselves. My roommate works Doordash as his primary job because trying to find a non-STEM job in the Bay Area is like pulling teeth, and he makes less than minimum wage for working 40+ hours of deliveries a week once he subtracts the cost of gas, the increased auto insurance premium you're forced to pay if you're working a job like Doordash/Uber, and the healthcare plan he has to pay for out of pocket. Meanwhile he's got not 401k, no pension, etc. From what I understand this is not an experience unique to him, and having one of these jobs as your sole source of income for a household is borderline impossible. It's usually just supplemental over another job.

SB Nation is an example of how the independent contractor system has been abused. They have a ton of "freelancers" who are contributing a huge volume of articles to these sites, providing clicks and ad revenue for Vox, but not reaping any benefit besides a pittance per article. They have no job security. No benefits. No recourse if Vox decides tomorrow "actually nah we don't need your articles anymore." Sorry but if you're contributing more than 3 articles a month on average to a site, then you're probably helping drive that site's revenues and deserve to be compensated fairly for it! But of course companies are going to kick and scream and cry about how they can't afford this burdensome legislation because giving a couple hundred people actual pay and benefits means at the next shareholders meeting they'll have to explain to the board why profits only went up 0.4% last quarter when Wall Street predicted 0.5% growth.

AB5 is good and I hope companies that continue to try to abuse independent contractor status get resultingly pasted.

The difference here is that Uber can't operate in California without changing its hiring practices to recognize its employees are actually employees if the California law sticks, and that's actually effective at creating a change; whereas SBNation can just hire freelancers in the other 49 states, so the SBNation paid bloggers in California are simply unemployed and (effectively) unemployable for their type of freelance work.

You are speaking on behalf of people and claiming they'll be better off, when those people themselves are saying they are not and they're upset about it. California should tailor its legislation to recognize the actual fact that it's just one state in the country and that gig economy workers who work for online or distributed companies are hosed by AB5. The law has created a perverse incentive and the outcome is both predictable and certain. If you want good outcomes you have to not create perverse incentives with your laws.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Or they can just hire people from outside California to write about California sports teams. It’s not like you need a local perspective to write 200 words saying, “hmm, the Dodgers need a pitcher.”

I get that doesn’t work for all gigs, but yeah I’m just generally depressed about the bill because I like having society having this endless trough of freelance work where you don’t have much of a screening process and work at your leisure. I would oppose being anyone’s employee, that makes me feel like I’m kept property to some degree, and I could never convince anyone to hire me anyway.

CPColin posted:

You're right, we should have UBI and UHC.

Yes, absolutely. I’m not doing some sort of right wing troll job here. I don’t support this form of “labor exploitation” because I want to stan corporate profits, I do it because my ability to survive in the employee hiring model is hosed. It’s a part of the social contract in the adult world that I am an abject failure in, so work for hire gigs is what I got to raise above whatever the minimum standard of living is.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 17, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Hey, PG&E is back in bankruptcy court with a new deal after Gavin Newsome said he opposed the previous plan, lets see whats changed

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Pacific Gas and Electric has reworked a $13.5 billion settlement with victims of deadly wildfires blamed on the utility to try to prevent it from unraveling after California Gov. Gavin Newsom rejected the company's financial rehabilitation plan.

The revision discussed in a bankruptcy court hearing Tuesday removes a provision requiring Newsom to approve the deal as a key piece of PG&E's plan to emerge from bankruptcy protection by June 30. The company needs to meet that deadline to qualify for coverage in a special fund the California Legislature approved last summer to help insulate utilities from losses caused by future wildfires ignited by outdated transmission lines.

Newsom had jeopardized the pivotal settlement with the victims of catastrophic wildfires during 2017 and 2018 when he refused to give it it his blessing Friday as part of PG&E's bankruptcy plan.

The governor concluded that the settlement doesn't currently comply with state law. He believes the proposal doesn't include enough changes to enable PG&E to come out of bankruptcy with the financial wherewithal and expertise needed to provide safe and reliable service to its 16 million customers.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/us/article/PG-E-California-wildfire-victims-rework-13-5B-14913771.php

Oh

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The Glumslinger posted:

Hey, PG&E is back in bankruptcy court with a new deal after Gavin Newsome said he opposed the previous plan, lets see whats changed

https://www.sfgate.com/news/us/article/PG-E-California-wildfire-victims-rework-13-5B-14913771.php

Oh

how the gently caress can this kind of poo poo happen

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh

lol

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

how the gently caress can this kind of poo poo happen

"public-private partnership"

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh

At this point you have to call their bluff and take them over, the amount of disrespect here is unreal.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
See thread title

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Fresno County seems to have switched to basically all mail-in voting so that's nice.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

https://sfist.com/2019/12/19/pro-trump-trans-woman-emerges-as-challenger-for-scott-wieners-state-senate-seat/

quote:

So, you can't get much more San Francisco: the three candidates for the state senate seat are a gay man, a queer woman of color, and a trans woman, and none of them can agree on much.