Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
wtf cooking 5 peppers just gives 12 minutes of level 1 protection but cooking 1 pepper and 2-3 hot fish gives 11 minutes of level 2 protection? ugh i gotta actually put effort into cooking, i can't just spam 5 ingredients at once????????????? what the buttshit do you WANT from me game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
You have to spam 5 high-end ingredients, the peppers are basic stuff.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I like the BOTW stealth sections :shobon:

In fact since I finished the game long long ago I like to go around doing as much poo poo in full stealth mode just for shits and giggles (a lot of the 1-Hit Obliterator sections I started doing this) because I find it really fun.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Stealth is also never required in BotW. You can fight your way through the Yiga hideout if you git gud enough (they have massively inflated attack but otherwise normal Yiga stats) and the Korok one you can just run right to the end and the little dude will wander over eventually. You will have to backtrack a bit when the wolves spawn but that's like right near the end anyways.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the korok one is tedious but it's also easy and takes like five minutes. hardly worth getting up in arms about

the yiga clan I can understand the complaints about but it didn't really bother me too much. just wear the sheika outfit, which you should be wearing anyway (normally with the lynel mask)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My biggest gripe in BotW is honestly that you can't just redo the obliterator part from a menu or something.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The giddy prancing when the Yiga see bananas makes it all worth it

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Remember when people said that the backlash to Skyward Sword was just the "Zelda Cycle" at work? But it came out 8 years ago, and there has been no resurgence of appreciation for it. And there never should be.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Zore posted:

the Korok one you can just run right to the end and the little dude will wander over eventually. You will have to backtrack a bit when the wolves spawn but that's like right near the end anyways.

You don't, the wolves can be ignored.

I had no trouble getting that quest done first try as intended on my first playthrough and wondered a bit why people were complaining about it. Then on my second playthrough the motherfucker kept noticing me all the time until I gave up and just booked it to the shrine to wait for him.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Supercar Gautier posted:

Remember when people said that the backlash to Skyward Sword was just the "Zelda Cycle" at work? But it came out 8 years ago, and there has been no resurgence of appreciation for it. And there never should be.

Skyward Sword is good*, but you need a dead system and a specific controller for that system to even play it.

*obviously it has problems but most of them are easy fixes

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kassad posted:

the peppers are basic stuff

Reported for cooking snobbery :ramsay:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I never thought I'd be creeped out by something in a Zelda game but I just did the Zora love letter quest and it was extremely uncomfortable.

In less disturbing news I flew over to the labyrinth island behind the Akkala lab and got the Barbarian Helm, my first thought was "Hey maybe I can upgrade this and it'll be really good for fighting Lynels!" And then the level one upgrade requires a Lynel Horn. Oof.

I also feel like I missed the Climbing Shirt or whatever at some point, I have the bandanna and pants but never found a shirt and it sucks because I want that set bonus.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Twelve by Pies posted:

I also feel like I missed the Climbing Shirt or whatever at some point, I have the bandanna and pants but never found a shirt and it sucks because I want that set bonus.

three level spoiler

it's on an island

south of hateno

called tenoko

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I never thought I'd be creeped out by something in a Zelda game but I just did the Zora love letter quest and it was extremely uncomfortable.

it's wild to me that NoA didn't even bother to do the "actually she's 1000 years old" anime thing. not that that would make it any better I guess

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It is played that way, but only if you've actually paid attention to the various pieces of information on the Zora that get dropped in NPC dialogues, etc. You may have noticed they're basically elves so they age at least three times as slow as humans/hylians. Not that, yeah, it actually makes it come across better.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

romanowski posted:

it's wild to me that NoA didn't even bother to do the "actually she's 1000 years old" anime thing. not that that would make it any better I guess

They did but in a very roundabout way saying how Zoras age differently than people and that she was something like in her late 20s or 30s and it was STILL loving creepy as hell and shouldn't have been 1000 miles of this game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah remember Sidon is at minimum 110 years old and he's basically a teen. The Zora King is over 400.

Which means Mipha was a lot older than Link when she was alive. Also she partially raised him according to the Champion's DLC which turns her crush/proposal into something super creepy.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

romanowski posted:

they did. apart from the incidental stuff people have mentioned, the pederast that you help explicitly says "wow she's so much older than me and knows a lot of stuff" when he's hanging out in zoras domain

not a good quest. I was expecting like a comedy bokoblin or something that you'd fight, but no, you just got a pointy-eared fishnoncer

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The "She's actually like 20 or 30" thing might have (it wouldn't but at least they'd have tried) come off a bit better if the quest didn't start with her mother going "I haven't seen my daughter around in a while, I hope she's not playing around at the Bank of Wishes" as if she's still a kid.

I finally found Kilton and unloaded a bunch of monster parts on him, I have like 3k Mon which isn't anywhere near enough because I think I've heard the higher end stuff costs a couple thousand apiece. I didn't get the squeaky hammer though I thought about it, 199 mon for a joke weapon just seems like a bad deal. I also finally bought the house and now I have no rupees, which sucks because I still haven't bought the Soldier's armor (not that I really need it but it seems a waste to not get it) and also the Ancient equipment at Akkala costs a bunch too.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

granted I have not replayed that quest since release

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

They did but in a very roundabout way saying how Zoras age differently than people and that she was something like in her late 20s or 30s and it was STILL loving creepy as hell and shouldn't have been 1000 miles of this game.

It didn't work that way for Zora's in OoT though, Ruto aged just like Link did.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

sigher posted:

It didn't work that way for Zora's in OoT though, Ruto aged just like Link did.

And in Wind Waker Rito descended from the Zora but both exist in BotW

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The Yiga clan section is only really a stealth section if you want it to be, assuming you upgraded Stasis. I didn't use the bananas at all or even kill anyone this most recent playthrough.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Regy Rusty posted:

Considering his posts on this subject, I'm fairly certain that was intended to be self-deprecating.
Crap. I'm sorry. My bad.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

mastajake posted:

The Yiga clan section is only really a stealth section if you want it to be, assuming you upgraded Stasis. I didn't use the bananas at all or even kill anyone this most recent playthrough.

It's also technically not mandatory, or at least not any moreso than anything outside of the plateau and the Ganon fight.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Iirc, you can also glean from incidental dialogue that that particular zora is supposed to be a late bloomer, and the rest of her peer group at least look like adolescents.

Still creepy tho

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Honestly wish Nintendo had taken some creative liberties with the dialogue and instead made it a correspondance between academics studying, uhhhhhhhh, fish populations, or some poo poo. that's all you have to change to suddenly make it a story about stuffy academics getting schooled by a child expert. that's cute. that's a good moral for the children.

pescatarian pederasts get the gently caress out.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I didn't mainline that quest, I started it, did a step a couple hours later, and then I think waaaay after I bet the rest of the divine beasts and maybe even Ganon I finished it, so I uh... I didn't really know what was going on and was very confused. Apparently this is what was going on. Yikes.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I played 200+ hours and still never even saw it, it had to be like the one thing I didn't actually do.

Well other than most of the horse stuff.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Zore posted:

Which means Mipha was a lot older than Link when she was alive. Also she partially raised him according to the Champion's DLC which turns her crush/proposal into something super creepy.

Ah, a gender swapped Woody Allen

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

canyoneer posted:

Ah, a gender swapped Woody Allen

Watery Allen, another member of nature's creeper squad

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the whole time I thought the punchline of the quest was gonna be the guy discovering he was being catfished but then that just didn't happen

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zore posted:

And in Wind Waker Rito descended from the Zora but both exist in BotW

Aren't they different timelines?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's not clear what timeline BotW belongs to (with all the references to past games and the 10,000 years thing, personally I'm going with "at the end of all of them, somehow").

But anyway: a wizard goddess did it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Zore posted:

Arwen Syndrome.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Dictator. posted:

three level spoiler

it's on an island

south of hateno

called tenoko

As well as that shrine you can get it once Tarrey Town's complete - Robbie and Jerrin's son shows up selling the armour you can otherwise only get from shrines, including the climbing set (as long as you have at least one piece of it already.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Kassad posted:

It's not clear what timeline BotW belongs to (with all the references to past games and the 10,000 years thing, personally I'm going with "at the end of all of them, somehow").

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's officially confirmed. I feel like during that era they were stumbling a bit, trying to appease fans with a pretty lovely timeline, and trying to get casual players to get into Skyward Sword. Now that Breath of the Wild is out, I don't think anyone cares about timelines anymore, so of course they'd just go "eh whatever it's been like million years and it's everywhere at once just play the game"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Any two given Zelda games will have a straightforward shared continuity, if not necessarily an obvious one; you only start to run into bullshit ideas when you have to reconcile more of them.

Breath of the Wild can be interpreted very well as a direct sequel to Skyward Sword, for instance.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Wind Waker is the prequel to all of them.

It's Wind Waker, then any given game, then Wind Waker again, then the next...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We live in a Post-Baby Yoda society now, age is just a number