Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tippis posted:

“It's the Enron of games. It's impossible to give exact details because no matter what you pick, it gets fractally worse and more complex.”

I think the thread veterans should get PhDs in Star Citizen Studies at this point. The people following this train wreck from the beginning have absorbed enough ludicrousness to require an entire set of encyclopedias just to document the preternatural degree of ineptitude on display. People will occasionally bring up some bizarre insanity that happened and I'll dust off the old neurons like I'm remembering something from childhood - "Oh yeah, holy poo poo I forgot about that..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Scruffpuff posted:

I think the thread veterans should get PhDs in Star Citizen Studies at this point. The people following this train wreck from the beginning have absorbed enough ludicrousness to require an entire set of encyclopedias just to document the preternatural degree of ineptitude on display. People will occasionally bring up some bizarre insanity that happened and I'll dust off the old neurons like I'm remembering something from childhood - "Oh yeah, holy poo poo I forgot about that..."

I honestly think at some point in the future SC/CIG will be studied as a relic of our era. Something like an example of the gilded age in the 20s USA.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

:v: Something has gone wrong

:reddit: Nothing has gone wrong. The project has rightly reevaluated the available options and luckily adapted correctly with a more appropriate scope. And complaining about not enough transparency in the most transparent game development ever is a truly off-scale dumb accusation just because the singleplayer part is not open.

:v: It's ok, you should dial down the outrage a smidge. Don't pop a vein. Criticism is not a bad thing.

:reddit: Correct. The OP is not critisism though, its a badly hidden atteempt at the usual crap we get from the cult of anti SC-ists who don't seem to have anything better to do. Let me check that dudes history.... Edit: ok, he seems fine. Maybe just a bit underinformed and jumping to overly hasty conclusions.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

"Oh yeah, holy poo poo I forgot about that..."

Is somebody keeping a list?

sniper rifle for ants
bagman
crobear poster
honesty dial
sandworm demo playing twice, with water spash

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I assume when this falls apart there's going to be a bunch of idiots ready to hand Chris money for the next grift.

fry take my money.gif

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

iron buns posted:

:reddit: Nothing has gone wrong. The project has rightly reevaluated the available options and luckily adapted correctly with a more appropriate scope. And complaining about not enough transparency in the most transparent game development ever is a truly off-scale dumb accusation just because the singleplayer part is not open.

:v: It's ok, you should dial down the outrage a smidge. Don't pop a vein. Criticism is not a bad thing.

:reddit: Correct. The OP is not critisism though, its a badly hidden atteempt at the usual crap we get from the cult of anti SC-ists who don't seem to have anything better to do. Let me check that dudes history.... Edit: ok, he seems fine. Maybe just a bit underinformed and jumping to overly hasty conclusions.

This is why every critical post there has to be buffered with a disclaimer that they absolute love SC and Chris Roberts is still their one and only findom no matter what, but they have this TINY EENSIE WEENSY bit of concern

And then they're called a concern troll anyway

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Bubbacub posted:

Is somebody keeping a list?

sniper rifle for ants
bagman
crobear poster
honesty dial
sandworm demo playing twice, with water spash

How about the Social Module that was going to be added to - you know, so they could put their AI npcs in there and use it to experiment and improve the 'city' type areas.

Instead it was just a total waste of all the resources that they put into it and was never added to at all.

The only pro about it was that, if I remember correctly, it was the only time that they managed to hit a release date.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Quavers posted:

:confused: What ship do u need to start out with to earn $155 ship in 2 days? Only a few months ago it was $100 ship in 2 weeks and now $155 in 2 days, cant see that staying. How long does each run take from station to planet, do the mining and back to station to sell?

:homebrew: You would need to either Hand Mine pretty hard doing 40 + trips and keep in mind the average hand mining trip is about 30-60 minutes if you know where to look or you would need something like a cat for trade runs which is a 295 dollar ship. So while I say 40+ trips hand mining I still mean a 40-hour effort solo so still a standard workweek and at the least amount of in game money investment of around 4000 uec for the hand tools and that is barring anyone shooting you and robbing you, screwing up and blowing your own head off by failing at the rock and causing it to explode etc etc. At current rates. So I guess I should clear it up that when I say 2 days I mean 40+ hours or around two entire including nights.

:stonk: I mean, 40 hour workweek or $155? Jesus.

Well every single Citizen apparently is a software engineer working for a major tech company, and makes at least $150k a year. So when the game launches and is a smash AAAA hit, they’re going to need hordes of space peasants to clean the bathrooms in their Idris.

I’m not even joking, the whales want the game to be punishingly tedious and grindy in order to justify the thousands they’ve spent on spaceships. They only pay lip service to accessibility for new players as a smokescreen whenever outsiders rake them over the coals for how hilariously pay to win (or really “pay to engage in basic gameplay) SC is.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

I’ve said before that someone could literally write a PhD thesis in sociology or psychology about this mess. There are so many layers to it and it speaks to so many broader societal problems.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Could someone please explain this one? Theres a JPEG in it for you!

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

iron buns posted:

Everything is always the fault of the person raising the concerns, never the project or it's management for failing to address those concerns. Even if someone is truly "uninformed," they represent the new player experience coming to this so-called "game" for the first time. New players aren't going to spend 100s of hours reading old forum posts or watching every fluff piece youtube video from the past 7 years to find out why the new player experience of SC is so poo poo, they're just going to uninstall and move on to something fun.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

GyverMac posted:

Could someone please explain this one? Theres a JPEG in it for you!

A cosplayer from citcon 2019

dude put a literal bag on his head to look like a glass space helmet.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

One in the Bum posted:

No, there was actually a bag helmet guy introduced last year, at an event, in a segment with Chris himself, in which he specifically said not to cosplay that character.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
In the future, there is no glass for helmets so you have to use plastic grocery bags instead.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nyast posted:

That image is the most interesting one IMO. It's a more visual representation of what I had counted a week or two ago.

Blue = what they had completed in 2018
Green = what they completed in 2019

Total completed in 2019 versus goal: 14 / 80

Whats most insane is that going from 3 to 4 should be the most difficult thing for each of these things and they are still mostly stuck on 2s

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

One in the Bum posted:

Figures that someone being dumb enough to fall for the BDSSE scam is not affected by oxygen deprivation.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Whats most insane is that going from 3 to 4 should be the most difficult thing for each of these things and they are still mostly stuck on 2s

Well technically most have completed phase 2 (whitebox playable), and are working on phase 3 (greybox). But seeing as the "whitebox' phases are a made-up CIG thing that seems to be a more formalized, in-engine version of scripting + storyboarding, this means they haven't even finished the first real step of creating a playable level (greybox).

At a real game company, phase 1, 2, and 3 would ALL just be part of greybox.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well technically most have completed phase 2 (whitebox playable), and are working on phase 3 (greybox). But seeing as the "whitebox' phases are a made-up CIG thing that seems to be a more formalized, in-engine version of scripting + storyboarding, this means they haven't even finished the first real step of creating a playable level (greybox).

At a real game company, phase 1, 2, and 3 would ALL just be part of greybox.

Don't make "That Kazan" , a driver technician working in a MS lab, come and school you on development since he at one time modified an ini file for a long forgotten game!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Kosumo posted:

How about the Social Module that was going to be added to - you know, so they could put their AI npcs in there and use it to experiment and improve the 'city' type areas.

Instead it was just a total waste of all the resources that they put into it and was never added to at all.

The only pro about it was that, if I remember correctly, it was the only time that they managed to hit a release date.

Incorrect, the main "pro" of the social module was the like six months where people could spawn the little buggies in it and they exploded with enough force to kill everyone in the area when you ran them into a wall.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

One in the Bum posted:

It's actually a remarkably accurate cosplay

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Incorrect, the main "pro" of the social module was the like six months where people could spawn the little buggies in it and they exploded with enough force to kill everyone in the area when you ran them into a wall.

That is true, that and people all going to the bar and emoting on the dancefloor. (never done before!!!)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

colonelwest posted:

I’ve said before that someone could literally write a PhD thesis in sociology or psychology about this mess. There are so many layers to it and it speaks to so many broader societal problems.

This would definitely be in the field of Anthropology. You have a society and culture behind this poo poo now.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Great analogy for visualization of wast....spent gaming budgets in the history of games.
Star Citizen‘t is on the left.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Mr.PayDay posted:

Great analogy for visualization of wast....spent gaming budgets in the history of games.
Star Citizen‘t is on the left.

It's also a good visualization for how the project has cut down on its promised deliverables. Original scope starts on the left and subsequent scope moves onto the right. Final delivery of MVP not shown on this chart.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Colostomy Bag posted:

It is impossible. You start off and around a few sentences in you remember some other clusterfuck and have to say "Oh wait, there was also this...". There is just so much poo poo.

Best way to approach it as we all know, is explaining it as not a failed game, but a cult.

Since 2012 chris Roberts has raised 350 million dollars by enticing people to pre purchase star citizen a PC space game and it's game assets (that ofent don't exist or the work) for eye wateringly high prices, (up to $27k USD). Most of the money raised has been spent on making flashy marketing, weekly shows, conferences and celebratery actors to entice further spending to the support the game.

Contrary to the aggressive marketing messaging the promises amazing features, cutting edge technology, and superb graphics development has been deeply troubled, with the release of chapter 1 in the star citizen story being pushed back a year almost every year.

Since 2012 Chris Roberts and his 16+ companies, 5 stuidos, 500 employees have managed to miss every development target they have set, produce two law suits and 1000's of YouTube vedios but no games.

Despite the failure to make measureable progress, Chris Roberts, his family and close friends that work on the project are now millionaires.

None of this has bothered fans of the project who have pored another 30+ million into the project in hopes that project development is finally turning a corner.

After such a long development time and large budget expectations and hopes are high for 2020!

DigitalPenny fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 18, 2019

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

No, I voluntarily stepped down due to some disagreements with the admin team. It had nothing to do with Star Citizen though, and the thread is safe in the very capable hands of VideoGames, Reene, and Palpek.

And now that I'm not spending every waking moment reading reports, I'll have more time for shitposting!

Yay! <3

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:five:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

If sea level rises, does that mean you will have sunk to new deeps?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

More content in one crater on Hurston than the whole of Earth though.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Are there any other markets of mostly boomer dads to milk? Like, some other thing they haven't done in 20+ years, so even a garbage product would seem impressive by comparison? Star Citizen has made millions by doing this.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Elderbean posted:

Are there any other markets of mostly boomer dads to milk? Like, some other thing they haven't done in 20+ years, so even a garbage product would seem impressive by comparison? Star Citizen has made millions by doing this.

Pretty much anything sports related.

valiantlife
Dec 6, 2018
I wonder what the overlap is of people who complain about mismanagement of resources/project of their own company and SC backers is.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Elderbean posted:

Go browse the infowars store and you'll see a hundred grifts. "Tactical" gear, "Alpha King" supplements, Ultimate Krill oil, just a million bullshit items that are probably mostly chalk and baby powder, repackaged for desperately insecure boomer dads.

It turns out there are a lot of things they haven't done or paid attention to in 20+ years and have no real calibration on.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Scruffpuff posted:

Final delivery of MVP not shown on this chart.

It is shown, it's just too small to display.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Argon

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Agony Aunt posted:

More content in one crater on Hurston than the whole of Earth though.

Personally 1:1 anything is sometimes lazy design. Why do I say this? Because its 1 : 1! There's no need to get creative when everything is not scaled. In a world like Nier Automata / Dark Souls / Fallen Order, you need to get creative with context and how the world works and is seamlessly woven together. While still giving the illusion these are massive worlds to explore.

Star Citizen though? It describes itself as this massive game, but realistically, there isn't much game to be had. Just a lot of expensive ships.

So buy an Idris!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

GyverMac posted:

I fear that when this all come crashing down, some especially deluded commandos will put Crobberts or other personell at cig on their real life "KOS" list.... :ohdear:

No they will just send CR money in the mail instead of buying spaceships. After all CR dared to dream and therefore deserves it.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Elderbean posted:

Forgive me if this is close to a hot take.

The moment someone realizes a GenX Nu-College for 35-50's, as a "education institution" but in reality "an excuse for old sausage to chase women into increasingly familiar and traumatic corners under the guise of an institution" will probably rake in in for 20 years before the sexual assault suits bring that "free market sector" to its knees.

When in doubt, sell sex. Especially at the expense of the other sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

Go browse the infowars store and you'll see a hundred grifts. "Tactical" gear, "Alpha King" supplements, Ultimate Krill oil, just a million bullshit items that are probably mostly chalk and baby powder, repackaged for desperately insecure boomer dads.
Even better, they're usually made of soybeans (or used to be)