Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

colachute posted:

There isn’t any justification that would make me agree that 0 isn’t a reasonable demand.

*shreds entirety of human history*

Oh well.

Edit: Ok maybe I should rephrase that. I don't think it's a reasonable expectation that in the tens or hundreds of millions of police interactions per year in this country alone, there will be zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I apologize for demanding cops don’t commit unjustifiable murder. It is unreasonable of me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

colachute posted:

I apologize for demanding cops don’t commit unjustifiable murder. It is unreasonable of me.

It's not unreasonable until you say "it literally can't even happen, ever. Not ever." Because, like, that's never going to achievable, not ever. Not even if you had hyper competent and benevolent robot-cops or something. I mean, to use an analogy, people die in the hospital for no better reason than that they get a resistant infection; that's also never going to be reduced to zero.

I don't think it's police apologism to point out the actual impossibility of reducing it to literally zero and insisting on it isn't going to get us anywhere.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Edit: nevermind

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 18, 2019

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's not unreasonable until you say "it literally can't even happen, ever. Not ever." Because, like, that's never going to achievable, not ever. Not even if you had hyper competent and benevolent robot-cops or something. I mean, to use an analogy, people die in the hospital for no better reason than that they get a resistant infection; that's also never going to be reduced to zero.

I don't think it's police apologism to point out the actual impossibility of reducing it to literally zero and insisting on it isn't going to get us anywhere.

If you have to explain why killing innocent people should be shrugged off as “poo poo happens” then you are part of the problem.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Well, nobody made that argument. A Bad Poster actually framed it as an all or nothing proposition, the number is zero or it doesn't matter. So working towards zero is just as bad as trying to get a high score, until you actually get to zero.

That is a really bad reading.

Like if someone says "even one case of child abuse is one too many," do you really think they mean that one literal case of child abuse is the same as "trying to get a high score" of child abuse? What the gently caress? That's the weird, rhetorically somehow worse cousin of accelerationism or something.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
We're not only not making any attempt at reducing it to zero, we're actively doing everything possible to increase the chances of police murdering but by all means continue hand wringing about this

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Godholio posted:

*shreds entirety of human history*

Oh well.

Edit: Ok maybe I should rephrase that. I don't think it's a reasonable expectation that in the tens or hundreds of millions of police interactions per year in this country alone, there will be zero.

Are you trying to say that like with any large group of armed people some amount of crime, including murder, is inevitable? I'm also not following. And I don't understand the problem with saying any such killing is unacceptable.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Proud Christian Mom posted:

We're not only not making any attempt at reducing it to zero, we're actively doing everything possible to increase the chances of police murdering but by all means continue hand wringing about this

Can you elaborate just exactly how "we" are actively doing anything (much less "everything possible") to increase the chances? Seems to me like more bodycams and better training, and the expansion of tasers to more and more departments are attempts to reduce police killings.

And who are the "we?" Society? Or police?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that we should shrug off police murder as "poo poo happens"; and adopting a stance that no unjustified killings are acceptable makes total sense to me. The reading I had, and which I can discard if it was inaccurate, was something more like "If a single person dies unjustifiably out of millions and millions of police interactions, then we have to burn down the entire concept of police".

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bored As gently caress posted:

Can you elaborate just exactly how "we" are actively doing anything (much less "everything possible") to increase the chances? Seems to me like more bodycams and better training, and the expansion of tasers to more and more departments are attempts to reduce police killings.

It is important to remember that as bad as cops are now, they were generally worse throughout US history and held at lower levels of accountability. Compounded with the generally worse level of medical care available in the past, people were more likely to die at their hands even outside of events like "brutally shot/beaten" to death.

So while things are not at acceptable levels, police violence used to be worse. That's worth acknowledging not as a point from which one should not say "good enough" or "what more do you want," but instead point out that calling out police violence, demanding increased accountability, and advocating for victims works and must continue to be a cause people fight for.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

The thing that gets me (well one of them) about the current tangent is that we literally don't know how many unarmed people are killed by cops in the US because police departments all over the country refuse to report out every time they kill someone, despite being required to by federal law. Closest we can get is a couple newspapers and activist organizations who try to figure out details from articles posted in local papers.

And that also ignores stuff like Laquan McDonald being "armed" with a knife as he was wandering down a street before a shitbag ran up to him and magdumped into him.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dum Cumpster posted:

Are you trying to say that like with any large group of armed people some amount of crime, including murder, is inevitable? I'm also not following. And I don't understand the problem with saying any such killing is unacceptable.

I never said it's acceptable. I said it's unrealistic to expect zero. That doesn't mean they get a pass. It doesn't mean it's not horrible. Humans have been killing each other since humans have been a thing. It's never going to be zero until we're all gone. That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for it and punish murder.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that we should shrug off police murder as "poo poo happens"; and adopting a stance that no unjustified killings are acceptable makes total sense to me. The reading I had, and which I can discard if it was inaccurate, was something more like "If a single person dies unjustifiably out of millions and millions of police interactions, then we have to burn down the entire concept of police".

Same. Not that it matters in this loving thread.

mlmp08 posted:

So while things are not at acceptable levels, police violence used to be worse. That's worth acknowledging not as a point from which one should not say "good enough" or "what more do you want," but instead point out that calling out police violence, demanding increased accountability, and advocating for victims works and must continue to be a cause people fight for.

Prepare to be labeled a bootlicker.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

It is important to remember that as bad as cops are now, they were generally worse throughout US history and held at lower levels of accountability. Compounded with the generally worse level of medical care available in the past, people were more likely to die at their hands even outside of events like "brutally shot/beaten" to death.

Hilariously we can't even quantify this since law enforcement doesn't actually have to track how many people die by their hands.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Prepare to be labeled a bootlicker.

This throwaway sentiment is the bullshit used to derail or slow progress or try to fracture allies in favor of maintaining the not-good-enough status quo.

Like drat, man, most every civil rights activist ever will mention how poo poo things used to be, how fighting injustice is something to be proud of in those who came before us, and how we have a moral and practical obligation to continue the fight, because things might be better, but they are not yet acceptable.

And if some edgelord replies to me and says we need violent revolution now, I’m the piece of poo poo if my reaction is then to embrace the status quo or go thin blue line mode.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Crakkerjakk posted:

The thing that gets me (well one of them) about the current tangent is that we literally don't know how many unarmed people are killed by cops in the US because police departments all over the country refuse to report out every time they kill someone, despite being required to by federal law. Closest we can get is a couple newspapers and activist organizations who try to figure out details from articles posted in local papers.

And that also ignores stuff like Laquan McDonald being "armed" with a knife as he was wandering down a street before a shitbag ran up to him and magdumped into him.

I love that it takes non profits and newspapers to actually get the numbers, as even the CDC and FBI admit their numbers are bullshit. 2019 is a slow year so far, only 885 or so police murdering people which is lower than last year.

So good job guys, you did it!

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

The key to being able to murder a few people is to historically murder more than a few people.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

mlmp08 posted:

And if some edgelord replies to me and says we need violent revolution now, I’m the piece of poo poo if my reaction is then to embrace the status quo or go thin blue line mode.

That is correct, why’d you type thin blue line twice lmao

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Trash Ops posted:

That is correct, why’d you type thin blue line twice lmao

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

colachute posted:

The key to being able to murder a few people is to historically murder more than a few people.

While also being a cop.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
sure it'd be great if cops would stop bodyslamming unarmed 12 year olds in school hallways but we can't actually guarantee that so why bother amirite

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

And who are the "we?" Society? Or police?

cops fought tooth and nail to resist body cams

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

cops fought tooth and nail to resist body cams

I love my BWC.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Chichevache posted:

I love my BWC.

And as we all know, the plural of anecdote is data.

McNally fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 19, 2019

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Also in many jurisdictions the body cam works fine when it backs up what the cop is saying happened, but mysteriously has a chain of unlikely malfunctions when some sort of misdeed is being alleged by someone who had a bad experience with a cop.

Body cameras are a good idea, but the way they've been implemented in a lot of the country isn't great, aka is just another tool in the arsenal of the state crushing anyone who opposes their whims.

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 19, 2019

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Crakkerjakk posted:

Also in many jurisdictions the body cam works fine when it backs up what the cop is saying happened, but mysteriously has a chain of unlikely malfunctions when some sort of misdeed is being alleged by someone who had a bad experience with a cop.

Body cameras are a good idea, but the way they've been implemented in a lot of the country isn't great, aka is just another tool in the arsenal of the state crushing anyone who opposes their whims.

Axon, the most popular bwc company, backs up all their stuff on the cloud. It isn't like the departments sit on a giant mound of hard drives they can erase whenever.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Nah, they just don't turn them on.

Or turn them off so they can get a good grope in on a woman's corpse.

"sexual contact with human remains without authority" might be my new favorite felony charge.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Liquid Communism posted:

Nah, they just don't turn them on.

Or turn them off so they can get a good grope in on a woman's corpse.

"sexual contact with human remains without authority" might be my new favorite felony charge.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Chichevache posted:

Jesus Christ shut the gently caress up you goddamned hypocrite.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Chichevache posted:

If you've never been handcuffed than you'd be shocked how flexible someone in cuffs can be. Especially if they're not a fat computer touching goon.

Chichevache posted:

People gently caress up sometimes. Have you ever done a pat search? Ever done one on a person who is resisting that you really dont want to touch anyway?

Why the gently caress aren't you banned yet, you're literally trying to defend cops killing people that are handcuffed.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

welp I see this thread has progressed as expected

later

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

later

Smiling Jack posted:

all the poo poo wrong with policing in America today and you guys want to slapfight over infantry tactics which should not be police tactics

peace out guys

lmao you're a whiny gently caress

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

later

Isn't there a turnstile you should be guarding?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

lmao you're a whiny gently caress

do you feel better now

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Nephzinho posted:

Isn't there a turnstile you should be guarding?

never did transit it's for losers and weirdos

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I'm here to give this thread the quality it deserves because now it's just people telling past each other as usual

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

hmmm let me come back and check on this thread since I left

welp it's a total poo poo show but I'm glad I gave random posters a chance to call me a whiner

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Why the gently caress aren't you banned yet, you're literally trying to defend cops killing people that are handcuffed.

He's saying that some people are insanely flexible enough that they could reach behind them and grab a gun from their waist and shoot themselves. Though I think you already knew that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

He's saying that some people are insanely flexible enough that they could reach behind them and grab a gun from their waist and shoot themselves. Though I think you already knew that.

I actually thought he was saying people were flexible in cuffs to be a good gently caress. I guessed completely wrong