Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Take the inlet manifold off, blast into the port with the valve closed, hoover it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

PainterofCrap posted:

Horrible Traffic Failures: Port Richmond (Philadelphia) Edition.

Now what?

That's Frankford, I'm currently sitting 5 blocks from that intersection.
(for non-Philly residents, Port Richmond is relatively up and coming as far as real estate goes. Frankford is decidedly not.)

xzzy posted:

The real problem is that that area has three streets named Buckius and this particular version is only about two blocks long and google maps can't find it. :colbert:

Guessing it used to be a single contiguous street and the building of the highway and railways cut it up and no one ever bothered to rename any of the segments.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0086526,-75.0739246,3a,75y,257.86h,83.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgxChWmToDEkjCICAn8TLpg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Pretty much. 95 really hosed over the riverfront neighborhoods.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 17, 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I've driven in most of the major cities on both US coasts, and Philly was a special hell, I was in a hotel down by the airport, and the roads around there often had no lane markings, lanes would end without signage, and indeterminate lane markings would make merging impossible, this seemed to contribute to no one, ever, under any circumstances actually following traffic laws.

Many parts of the third world have a better driving experience.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Elviscat posted:

I've driven in most of the major cities on both US coasts, and Philly was a special hell, I was in a hotel down by the airport, and the roads around there often had no lane markings, lanes would end without signage, and indeterminate lane markings would make merging impossible, this seemed to contribute to no one, ever, under any circumstances actually following traffic laws.

Many parts of the third world have a better driving experience.

Philly is where you can just park your car in the middle of the street if you feel. It's belligerently awful.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

NoWake posted:

Philly is where you can just park your car in the middle of the street if you feel. It's belligerently awful.

Aw, watching the vehicular shitshow on South Broad when the city declares an impending snow emergency is a mid-winter comedy tradition topped only by the Mummers.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 18, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

NoWake posted:

That's ridiculous. Is it actually legal, or is it just a thing people do? Do they ever get towed or is it pretty much accepted?

gently caress that so much.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Krakkles posted:

That's ridiculous. Is it actually legal, or is it just a thing people do? Do they ever get towed or is it pretty much accepted?

gently caress that so much.

There's nowhere to park at the curb. There's a left turn lane in the center with no streets to turn left onto. Thus it became a parking area and nobody cared.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Deteriorata posted:

There's nowhere to park at the curb. There's a left turn lane in the center with no streets to turn left onto. Thus it became a parking area and nobody cared.
Until someone cared.

Zuur
May 2, 2009
Just ran into one in the wild.

He came in just looking for four new tires and one of the rims seemed a little odd, so we went back to check what was wrong, and well-

And yes, the wheel balanced fine.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Since my brother has a broken spine I got drafted to try and fix the front end of his winter shitbox (rusty Peugot 206 gti) to make it pass the annual inspection, even though I'm a lovely car mechanic. Work took place outside in the cold rain. The ball joint was easy. The broken spring was replaced without real issues, though I spilled some oil out of the gearbox when the drive shaft popped out and spring compressors make me queezy. I saved the easiest job for last; an outer tie rod end. I had to lop it off in order to use a rattle gun on the jam nut which was super stuck. This was a bad sign. I then used all my tricks on the remaining threaded section. Wishful thinking in the form of penetrating fluids. Heat from fire (no oxy/acetylene though, could have made a difference maybe). Welded on nut that actually held once I broke out the 200 amp stick welder since the MIG is an underpowered single phase POS that wouldn't penetrate properly. The big pneumatic rattler, cheater bars and pipe wrenches. In the end the tie rod itself twisted and bent. Brother didn't feel like bothering with getting the whole rod out - it's really cramped in there and it seems like the subframe needs to drop in order to gain access. So the shitbox gets junked and I got to spend all day wet, dirty and uncomfortable, throwing new parts at a car that's going straight to the crusher.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

BlackMK4 posted:

My friend, have you heard of the BMW M57? :smith:

Please do tell, I only have M50s and M52s.

taqueso posted:

You can do that without taking everything apart?

You'll have to strip the engine to the point where you can see the intake ports and where you can turn it over by hand to close the valves you are working on. But that's still substantially less than removing and stripping the cylinder head.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Invalido posted:

So the shitbox gets junked and I got to spend all day wet, dirty and uncomfortable, throwing new parts at a car that's going straight to the crusher.

that's the worst thing in this thread. That fukken sucks. I hope your brother appreciates you! did you ever finish up that engine swap in your Nissan ute?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

slothrop posted:

that's the worst thing in this thread. That fukken sucks. I hope your brother appreciates you! did you ever finish up that engine swap in your Nissan ute?

Oh, he appreciates me plenty. I even made the deal that he would get the chinesium VIDA thingy that's been laying around unused for years up and running in return for the rainy wrenching so that I can finally speak to Volvos properly. He still hasn't quite met that obligation, but I'm pretty sure he'll read this and take the reminder. Bro has computer skills I lack but really hates Windows, so it was a big ask.

"Finished" is a relative term. The D21 has a new engine and it kind of runs OK-ish and sees occasional use. It doesn't like to start easily and acceleration enrichment still isn't ideal, and there's an injector that's seemingly misbeaving when it gets heat soaked, fouling up the spark plug (the problem changed cylinder when the injectors were moved between them). There are new injectors waiting to be swapped in, which needs to happen before any further attempts at fine tuning is made. Also less back pain I guess. Bro has recently signed papers to buy a house with a huge garage though, so car wrenching will hopefully move into the warmth soon and become more accessible and frequent altogether. I'm sure the Nissan will receive more love because of this.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Zuur posted:

Just ran into one in the wild.

He came in just looking for four new tires and one of the rims seemed a little odd, so we went back to check what was wrong, and well-

And yes, the wheel balanced fine.

Some monster mounted the tires white-letter in, though.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Some monster mounted the tires white-letter in, though.
As they should be, you monster.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Krakkles posted:

As they should be, you monster.

Letters out on a pick-up, in on anything else. You horrible monster, you.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

And ‘70s musclecars.

Edit: Blazers and Jimnys and such also go in with pickups.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Darchangel posted:

And ‘70s musclecars.

Fair, fair. Now I wanna stencil, "Mickey Thompson", on airliner tires. When this baby hits Vr, you're gonna see some poo poo.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

madeintaipei posted:

Nothing will ever make it seem like this was the wrong choice. I thought we were in agreement until I saw the monster:

Darchangel posted:

And ‘70s musclecars.

I will stipulate to 70s muscle cars and old pickups. Nothing else.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Paging KakerMix to the thread. We need pix of Land Cruisers, Jimnys, and Pajeros white-letters out, stat!

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

PainterofCrap posted:

Aw, watching the vehicular shitshow on South Broad when the city declares an impending snow emergency is a mid-winter comedy tradition topped only by the Mummers.

I lived on 2nd down in pennsport for a while. It was a special kind of hell the night of new years, but loving surreal and funny to be walking down on new years Eve and seeing the mummers in full regalia loading up floats with buckets filled with handles of liquor.

I miss federal donuts. Will you please have some zata'ar chicken for me?

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.
I was doing the same job just a while ago and I also wish I had known that after they have been on the road for a while, there are no such things as outer and inner tie rod ends, there are just tie rods.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Not only that, but I’ll go to Pennsport Pub and get some wings.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I lived on 2nd down in pennsport for a while. It was a special kind of hell the night of new years, but loving surreal and funny to be walking down on new years Eve and seeing the mummers in full regalia loading up floats with buckets filled with handles of liquor.

Will tip you my hat from Two Street while munching the chix & a lavender donut.

Zuur
May 2, 2009
It is surprising just how many people want their tires mounted black out instead of white out. But that car wasn't worth letters out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I just got new tires on my Silverado yesterday. Mounted letters in. Fite me.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
letters in? for the win

letters out? weird goons shout

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Sheeeit. If I were to put the white letters out on our work trucks, the guys would write work orders demanding that I put them in.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Had to have a tire fixed. Mounted and put on truck letters out.

Had to point out after everything was done the other three were letters in. The look on the tech's face...

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Well you simply mustn't mix ins and outs. That is just ignorant savagery.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
I think it really depends on the vehicle but yeah it's most acceptable on old trucks and the like. I run white letters out on my Suburban but nothing else.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

heh heh heh

e: https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/chevrolet/corvette/2356637.html

:psyduck:

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 21, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

"I'm asking $30,000 complete or $15K as a roller"

ok, boomer

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

It's fine, it's just fine

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is what insurance is for you stupid dumbshit

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Powershift posted:

heh heh heh

That’s beautiful but mind boggling. How on earth does that happen?

I mean obviously the root cause is something like “on Friday, near shift end, with a quota to meet, Joe Blow accidentally bumped the current knob on the spot welder and didn’t want to scrap the part”. It’s just that going by the apparent age of the vehicle, that sucker existed for many years without going all :v:. Hard to imagine it holding together that long with lovely welds.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Autoexec.bat posted:

I think it really depends on the vehicle but yeah it's most acceptable on old trucks and the like. I run white letters out on my Suburban but nothing else.

I was behind a suburban from that era this morning that was leaking fuel every time he accelerated. I assume it didn't change the gas milage very much.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

My favourite part is "Interior: Charcoal".

Well, no poo poo!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sagebrush posted:

this is what insurance is for you stupid dumbshit

double dippin, i hope, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

My favourite part is "Interior: Charcoal".

Well, no poo poo!

I figured that was at least a modicum of humor.
It actually wouldn’t surprise me that a ‘56 Corvette in that shape is worth $15k. If the engine is still good (looked like it, if they got oil or WD-40 or something down its fuller to displace any firefighting water) I could see it being a $15k engine. Corvette people are special.