Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

there's a comic that makes it explicit that palpatine did whatever sith magic to get schmi pregnant with anakin, the page was posted in one of the two threads awhile back

It’s also obvious in revenge of the Sith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It's all Palp's fault. His parents warned him if he did force lightning too much he'd go blind.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

dex_sda posted:

He gets hosed the same way a third time lmfao
The greatest mastermind the galaxy has ever known

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I declare the rise of Skywalker to not be cannon. It is the only way

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

It’s also obvious in revenge of the Sith

I feel like you're being manipulated by a sith. Palpatine never struck me as powerful enough to do the whole immaculate conception thing. He gets his rear end kicked in pretty much every fight. His only real power is that apparently no one on the star wars universe is capable of detecting very obvious lies/manipulation.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

The greatest mastermind the galaxy has ever known

Saddest thing is I bet Ian McDiarmid is by far the coolest part of this movie

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

kidkissinger posted:

I feel like you're being manipulated by a sith. Palpatine never struck me as powerful enough to do the whole immaculate conception thing. He gets his rear end kicked in pretty much every fight. His only real power is that apparently no one on the star wars universe is capable of detecting very obvious lies/manipulation.

Ok I should not have said obvious

How about “ it is one possible reading of his opera speech to anakin”

(Trying to not fight in Star Wars thread)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/business/status/1207301771128975360?s=20

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

Yeah, the same speech where alludes to being able to bring people back from the dead.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Friend sent me this, not mine but still.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The reviews just reek of click-bait hate. It cannot be that bad. Worse than AoTC or even RoTS?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brother Entropy posted:

they're only cousins if you treat weird sith impregnation ritual as parenting, jon snow and dany didn't even have that and still no one cared

It counts, sorry. Disney wants to make cousin loving acceptable now

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
We live in a world where both GoT Season 8 and Star Wars 9 were the Same Year. and I couldn't be happier.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Taintrunner posted:

It counts, sorry. Disney wants to make cousin loving acceptable now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rvJqqJ61lc

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Here’s what I think went wrong during this trilogy.

The Force Awakens is the thesis. Yay Star Wars, empire, rebellion, Jedi all true, lightsabers! A retread of A New Hope to establish the core of the series so far. It’s insipid and basic, but it’s where we started.

The Last Jedi is the antithesis. War is a machine built to benefit those who profit, the Jedi cling to a lovely religion designed to make them seem like moral guardians, blind loyalty is infuriating but blind subversion will meet with inevitable failure, why not simply work against the status quo and rework what we have into something better? The execution sucked and it ultimately walks it all back, but the intent is there.

The Rise of Skywalker is gently caress YOU!!! THESIS!!! YAY DEATH STAR ZOMBIE PALPATINE FORCE POWERED STAR DESTROYERS SNOKE’S A CLONE HAN’S A FORCE GHOST ALL THE JEDI (‘S VOICE ACTORS) COME IN FOR A BIG PARTY REYLO KISS THEN BEN DOESN’T FEEL SO GOOD BURY LIGHTSABERS IN SHITHOLE LAST PALPATINE IS ALSO LAST SKYWALKER WHO THE gently caress ARE POE AND FINN.

Like come the gently caress on. It was a slam dunk and you blew it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

dex_sda posted:

He gets hosed the same way a third time lmfao

It's a metaphor for the experience of viewers.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Hell yea George Lucas cut is way better

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Vintersorg posted:

The reviews just reek of click-bait hate. It cannot be that bad. Worse than AoTC or even RoTS?

Dude , half the trusted reviewers invited to the opening night refused to commit in either way and said they needed to "process" it because they hated it but didn't want to lose their access to Disney movies

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

mastershakeman posted:

Dude , half the trusted reviewers invited to the opening night refused to commit in either way and said they needed to "process" it because they hated it but didn't want to lose their access to Disney movies

You know it's bad if not even the mouse can scare them into silence properly.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

mastershakeman posted:

:negative:

3 more days for myself, haha.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

This month's cover illustration of Watchtower magazine looks rad

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YigM-F4oSIE

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Keep in mind that reviewers on the whole are a different breed than the ones that reviewed the prequels. At that point the bulk of reviewers were still old-school newspaper reviewers who had no attachment to the films or opinions about/experience with fandom. So an old dude watching AoTC or RoTS in the early 2000s is going to shrug off a mediocre film with interesting ideas and groundbreaking effects as "Yeah, that was pretty fun," but a middle-aged dude who collects Funko Pops and has written for movie blogs since he was 16 is going to have a far more hyperbolic take. The messageboard dwellers of yesteryear are the tastemakers of today.

e: Also, being bad and an empty corporate designed-by-committee product is a whole lot less palatable than being bad and having a lot of creative ideas.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 18, 2019

parara
Apr 9, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

It wasn't bad, just ultra dull. Which is a worse sin for a movie as far as I'm concerned, but YMMV.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i knew we wouldnt get to see it :smith:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Wondering what a Jedia CIA would look like now.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

parara posted:

It wasn't bad, just ultra dull. Which is a worse sin for a movie as far as I'm concerned, but YMMV.

Can you explain the first order/rebellion political stuff that did/didn't happen?

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

euphronius posted:

Palpatine later admits that he doesn't actually have that power, only Darth Plagueis did, and that they can discovered it together with Anakin. He says that right after Anakin pledges his allegiance to him.

parara
Apr 9, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Can you explain the first order/rebellion political stuff that did/didn't happen?

What political stuff, if there was any political stuff at all I must have missed it throughout all the three second flash cuts to Another Character On Another Planet Doing poo poo.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

They’re first cousins. Just, like, so you know. She’s kissing his cousin. On the lips. Wet, juicy, tounge jousting her cousin.

this was considered socially acceptable back then

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

is it actually established that Rey is a palpy clone or something?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

parara posted:

What political stuff, if there was any political stuff at all I must have missed it throughout all the three second flash cuts to Another Character On Another Planet Doing poo poo.

They don’t get into the politics at all and it’s one of the most glaring omissions of the trilogy because what the gently caress are all these factions:

-New Republic (government blown up)
-Resistance (Leia’s personal army fighting the first order?)
-Rebellion (Resistance rebrand in TLJ)
-First Order (do I have to explain operation finder again, also, who built all their poo poo that’s bigger and dumber than the Empire they copied)
-Final Order (palpy’s secret army he’s gonna fusion with Kylo also where the gently caress did they come from)

It doesn’t make no damned sense! How can you care what’s going on when you have zero idea what the stakes are?

kidkissinger posted:

Empress Palpatine is spoken at least once during the movie

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

parara posted:

Amazing

So the first order won but offscreen and is just forgotten about?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

kidkissinger posted:

Rey is the daughter of Palpatine’s son that he had at some point, and it’s not elaborated on further.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Rey is the daughter of Palpatine’s son that he had at some point, and it’s not elaborated on further.

Incredible lmao. I literally can not believe it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I can’t believe Sheev hosed and it wasn’t elaborated or shown on-screen.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Captain Jesus posted:

Palpatine later admits that he doesn't actually have that power, only Darth Plagueis did, and that they can discovered it together with Anakin. He says that right after Anakin pledges his allegiance to him.

Not fighting but wasn’t that specifically the power to bring people back from death.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I can’t believe Sheev hosed and it wasn’t elaborated or shown on-screen.

Before:

After:

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Does the entire sith fleet get blown up, and if so how?

And finally, is the entirety of the first order there? If not, does the movie give any lip service to how they don't remain in charge by just promoting their next most senior officers after the leadership dies?

Apparently the Death Star Destroyers are powered by the dark side or something so when Sheev gets kamehameha'd the entire fleet blows up like the end of Return of the King

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parara
Apr 9, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

They don’t get into the politics at all and it’s one of the most glaring omissions of the trilogy because what the gently caress are all these factions:

-New Republic (government blown up)
-Resistance (Leia’s personal army fighting the first order?)
-Rebellion (Resistance rebrand in TLJ)
-First Order (do I have to explain operation finder again, also, who built all their poo poo that’s bigger and dumber than the Empire they copied)
-Final Order (palpy’s secret army he’s gonna fusion with Kylo also where the gently caress did they come from)

Basically this. None of this poo poo is explained or expanded on and I can mayyyybe say that the First Order was sort of cooperating with the Final Order since Hux and Veteran Man bicker some, but where did all these Moffs and Admirals come from and why is no one in the First Order asking questions and oh god :psypop: