Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

I get what you're saying but Finns problem is waaay deeper than that.

The problem with Finn was that he was in the orbit of Rey as opposed to his own character. His story should have been one of learning to connect with normal people and escaping the brainwashing of his stormtrooper upbringing. I'm not sure having him revolve around another weirdo like Rey is the way to get that done. Imagine a somewhat militaristic get stuff done character that wants to but can't really understand a life of peace. Someone who doesn't wanna fight for the first order but also doesn't want to kill all of the people he grew up with, people just like him. Instead we got a starwars version of the nerdy black sidekick who's only purpose in life revolves around a white woman he barely knows. He is honestly the only original character in these movies, yet somehow ended up being the most underutilized.

Also, Reylo shippers will hate this movie too. Take a guess as to why.

There's a cut scene in TLJ where Finn convinces a bunch of stormtroopers to rebell, but Phasma murks them to save face. Had they taken his character in that direction and given him a real purpose it could've been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

They just needed to find the right wording on the wish spell to convince the space dm

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Mat Cauthon posted:

There's a cut scene in TLJ where Finn convinces a bunch of stormtroopers to rebell, but Phasma murks them to save face. Had they taken his character in that direction and given him a real purpose it could've been great.

TLJ also has a deleted scene of Rose biting Huxs finger while he tries to shake her off like in some goofy saturday morning cartoon. But I agree, squandered potential.

Postorder Trollet89 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 18, 2019

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
wait does Palpitation say "I am all the senate!"?

parara
Apr 9, 2010
No, kind of wish he did since there was an unexplained massive crowd spectating him like the senate chambers in his Sith iTomb.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

parara posted:

No, kind of wish he did since there was an unexplained massive crowd spectating him like the senate chambers in his Sith iTomb.

Wait, what?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
With the emperor being arbitrarily resurrected (and what's to keep him from being brought back again after this movie?), I'm glad the films have come full circle to being as ridiculous as the old EU. Only disappointed we didn't get Luuke Skywalker and Luuuke Skywalker

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Was palpatine waiting for luke to die to come back or is the timing never explained

parara
Apr 9, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Wait, what?

He stands in a large chamber akin to an arena or the senate chambers surrounding some spiky Sith throne, and there's an ominously chanting crowd of people with hoods.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

parara posted:

lol this owns

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

I don’t get why everyone suddenly disappears with the force. That was specifically mentioned by Qui Gon as this ultimate final level Jedi ability and now it’s taught the second week of Jedi school it seems

...JJ thought it would look cool and he doesn't really care if it conflicts with previously established facts because he's a hack? :shrug:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vader disappeared and became a ghost so maybe it wasn’t all that hard.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I called him an idiot hack fraud before and I stand by it, Abrams has never made a film I liked.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Are the space battles at least good?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

euphronius posted:

Vader earned it :colbert:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tato posted:

With the emperor being arbitrarily resurrected (and what's to keep him from being brought back again after this movie?), I'm glad the films have come full circle to being as ridiculous as the old EU. Only disappointed we didn't get Luuke Skywalker and Luuuke Skywalker

That force ghost of Luke did look suspiciously slightly bigger...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CODChimera posted:

Are the space battles at least good?

By all accounts, there’s one at the end, and it’s constantly cut with Rey vs. Grampa. It ends with the Empire ships blowing up because Sheev died.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Friend sent me this, not mine but still.

But why is Jar Jar, the most notorious Sith Lord on it?

Beeez
May 28, 2012
The worst part about the reviews is that people still won't concede that this whole trilogy wasn't worth it, as if two films worth of totally separate, but equally vague, promises that the new characters would actually become interesting were likely to lead to a satisfying conclusion.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

By all accounts, there’s one at the end, and it’s constantly cut with Rey vs. Grampa. It ends with the Empire ships blowing up because Sheev died.

So basically it doesn't even matter lol.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Friend sent me this, not mine but still.

The Dark Knight Rise of Skywalker

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica
What's sad is there are some really good ideas here actually.

Rey being Palpatine's daughter isn't a bad idea in and of itself. Bringing Palpatine back is loving stupid, but that idea is probably better than any of the other alternatives.

TLJ basically should have ended with Rey joining Kylo and going to the dark side.

The movie should have begun with Luke refusing to train Rey because of her anger and age, that she is too old, echoing the prequels. Basically they should have created a mirror image of Rey = Anakin and Luke = Yoda from the original series. Have Luke repeat the "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the dark side." And really foreshadow Rey's turn at the end.

They should of just also canonized that Anakin is Palpatine's Son and have him mention it during his conversation at some point and make that one of the big revelations of the film, the same way Vader is revealed to be Luke's father in ESB.

Some people here mentioned the third film should have had Luke fight Kylo and Rey, but imo that would have been boring.

They should have always had a subplot that Finn was force-sensitive and it should have been him going up against Kylo and Rey. Specifically make Rey a dark evil sith temptress playing on Finn's infatuation with her, and make it so Finn ultimately wins and end up revealing that the whole trilogy was about Finn all along. You could also center the third film revelation around Rey being a Palpatine, without bringing Palpatine back.

And with the previous explanation, that would make Rey Darth Vader's sister, and also explain Kylo's fascination with her.

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Darth Bane still out there.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

euphronius posted:

Was palpatine waiting for luke to die to come back or is the timing never explained

that would actually make alot of sense

so I'm guessing it's the latter

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah I'm assuming it's (all)bad but you never know!

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
There's already a narrative taking hold that ROS is a bad movie because it tried to appease people who didn't like Last Jedi by retconning every subversive element. Thing is, they don't seem to like it either. So they managed to piss off and alienate every side of the argument. That's one way to unify the fans I guess!

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Asgerd posted:

There's already a narrative taking hold that ROS is a bad movie because it tried to appease people who didn't like Last Jedi by retconning every subversive element. Thing is, they don't seem to like it either. So they managed to piss off and alienate every side of the argument. That's one way to unify the fans I guess!

It reminds me of that Dark Tower movie that was supposedly made for fans of the books but they hated it and non-readers couldn't follow it so it was literally a movie made for no one.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's already spinning up that's it's fans faults this film is bad

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Score’s back down to 55%

:rip:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Forbes going hard:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...skywalker-saga/

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Asgerd posted:

It’s all according to plan...*palps laugh*

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
"I am all the Senate."

euphronius posted:

There wasn't much of him left in the first place.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

The Rise of Skywalker is possibly worse than any prior Star Wars “episode.” It ends a legendary franchise with a thud while denying this new trilogy its artistic reason for existence. It represents the cultural theft of Star Wars from today’s kids by today’s arrested-development-stricken adults. Star Wars was a franchise first and foremost for children, and the kids who grew up with Harry Potter, The Hunger Games and the MCU have embraced harsh truths and challenging narratives. Lucasfilm and Disney’s The Rise of Skywalker feels explicitly crafted for the “Rian Johnson ruined Star Wars!” and “George Lucas ruined my childhood!” demographics, right down to its near erasure of Kelly Marie Tran’s Rose Tico. It’s bad enough that adults no longer see grown-up movies in theaters, but now yesterday’s geeks who have taken over pop culture feel entitled to have the kid-friendly franchises aimed at them as well.

"You ungrateful plebs didn't like The Last Jedi, so it's your fault this movie sucks."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

I get what you're saying but Finns problem is waaay deeper than that.

The problem with Finn was that he was in the orbit of Rey as opposed to his own character. His story should have been one of learning to connect with normal people and escaping the brainwashing of his stormtrooper upbringing. I'm not sure having him revolve around another weirdo like Rey is the way to get that done. Imagine a somewhat militaristic get stuff done character that wants to but can't really understand a life of peace. Someone who doesn't wanna fight for the first order but also doesn't want to kill all of the people he grew up with, people just like him. Instead we got a starwars version of the nerdy black sidekick who's only purpose in life revolves around a white woman he barely knows. He is honestly the only original character in these movies, yet somehow ended up being the most underutilized.

Also, Reylo shippers will hate this movie too. Take a guess as to why.

Finn was utterly wasted which is a god damned shame.

YaketySass posted:

"I am all the Senate."

There wasn't much of him left in the first place.

And I mean did he disappear? Both he and Qui-Gon left bodies to be burned. That Qui-Gon's spirit manifested itself didn't mean his body ceased existing.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Asgerd posted:

about time disney got their justice league

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Asgerd posted:

"You ungrateful plebs didn't like The Last Jedi, so it's your fault this movie sucks."

https://twitter.com/dankmccoy/status/1207319341429071872?s=19

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There was no body in the funeral pyre in rotj

Or I don’t know I’m probably wrong.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Brother Entropy posted:

about time disney got their justice league

What’s the equivalent of Harley Quinn in Star Wars? That’s what will save Disney!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

I am, in fact, happy that this movie is poo poo. I am so more entertained than if it was merely boring.