Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Oh, Untitled Goose Game is available for Game Pass. I'll just install Game Pass app on my phone and tell it to install.

Installs App, requests install.

*Later that day*
Notification GAME PASS GAMES NOW AVAILABLE

Oh yeah, I'm going to play that game. Gets on Xbox, nothing loving installed. God damnit, ok, install Untitled Goose Game.

*Later*
Notification GAME PASS GAMES LEAVING SERVICE

Uninstall Game Pass app again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I get that Xbox 2020 is suppose to be pretty powerful, and you do kinda need a lot of space for airflow and cooling, but... that size can't be correct. :psyduck:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I get that Xbox 2020 is suppose to be pretty powerful, and you do kinda need a lot of space for airflow and cooling, but... that size can't be correct. :psyduck:

The photos look like it should be about the width of a controller and maybe 2x-3x taller?

However, every photo that shows it pulled up front next to a slim console is going to make it look huge since your mind assumes it has the same depth, which it wont.

Also, does it in any way matter?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's 6x6x12. Basically just imagine two GameCubes stacked on top of each other.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FunOne posted:

Also, does it in any way matter?

It absolutely does, a good chunk of setups don't have a space with that much vertical clearance.

Where do you put the Xbox Series X in something like this?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

American McGay posted:

Time works the same way.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

univbee posted:

It absolutely does.

It's 100% going on the floor next to the table. Besides, setups like the one depicted has no airflow for consoles. I think the horizontal version of the sexbox is going to be pretty dodgy for airflow, too.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ufarn posted:

It's 100% going on the floor next to the table.

This is great news for people with pets and small children.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

univbee posted:

It absolutely does, a good chunk of setups don't have a space with that much vertical clearance.

My grandma isn't planning on buying a Series X so I doubt it will be an issue.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Here's another one. This is approximately my home setup, same stand, but the TV is the full width of the cabinet so can't put anything higher than a few inches on top or it'll block the screen.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

univbee posted:

On top, behind the tv, upright.

TenTwelveTwelve
Oct 12, 2012
Microsoft will just make an officially licensed Gamer TV Stand with bigger and wider shelves

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TenTwelveTwelve posted:

Microsoft will just make an officially licensed Gamer TV Stand with bigger and wider shelves

Even better, the stand is the console.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Put it behind the drat TV?? You guys REALLY stretch to find stuff to bitch and concern troll about with anything Xbox related. I don't see anyone complaining about the switch dock when that requires even more overhead room if you want to undock the system.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

At least the Switch setup is thinner.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
It drat well better be the switch is less powerful than just about any new cellphone on the market today lol

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
hobbling your consoles performance and cooling because some nerd in Japan is going to complain when he has to dedicate 20% of the space in his pod apartment to it is bad and dumb and should stop

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The PS4 Pro may sound like a jet engine but hey at least it fits into my ugly prebuilt entertainment center.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

On top of the smouldering ashpile that a ps4pro would create in that tiny space

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How big is the original PlayStation 3 in comparison to OG Xbox, or Xbox SEX?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

American McGay posted:

it's actually closer to 3 gamecubes stacked on top of each other

the xbox series x is larger by volume than the xbox one og if you go by the estimated measurements

it's a big boy

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ethanol posted:

it's actually closer to 3 gamecubes stacked on top of each other

the xbox series x is larger by volume than the xbox one og if you go by the estimated measurements

it's a big boy
So you're trying to tell me that the GameCube isn't actually a cube? gently caress off troll.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

How big is the original PlayStation 3 in comparison to OG Xbox, or Xbox SEX?

Here are some console dimensions (width-depth-height) in mm.

Nes (EU) 254 - 203 - 89
Snes (EU) 241 - 203 - 76
N64 260 - 190 - 73
Gamecube 150 - 160 - 110
Wii 157 - 215 - 44
WiiU 172 - 267 - 46
Xbox 320 - 260 - 100
Xbox 360 (phat) 258 - 309 - 83
Xbox one 343 - 263 - 80
Playstation 260 - 184 - 45
Playstation 2 (slim) 231 - 153 - 28
Playstation 3 325 - 290 - 98
Playstation 4 275 - 305 - 53
Master System 360 - 170 - 70
Sega Mega Drive II 425 - 270 - 85
Sega Saturn 260 - 230 - 83
Dreamcast 190 - 195 - 78
Atari 2600 343 - 229 - 88

The Xbox Series X is estimated to be 310 - 160 - 160, so roughly 2 inches taller than a Gamecube in Horizontal orientation.

And ethan was close to spot-on, if you stacked 3 gamecubes it would be less than an inch taller in the Series X's vertical orientation, and still 1cm thinner.

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 18, 2019

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

BrownieVK posted:

Put it behind the drat TV?? You guys REALLY stretch to find stuff to bitch and concern troll about with anything Xbox related. I don't see anyone complaining about the switch dock when that requires even more overhead room if you want to undock the system.

switch dock sucks as well hope this helps

Intel&Sebastian posted:

hobbling your consoles performance and cooling because some nerd in Japan is going to complain when he has to dedicate 20% of the space in his pod apartment to it is bad and dumb and should stop

dog it isnt just japan, its basically most places that arent america. making something that wont just fit in a normal tv stand is completely stupid no matter who is doing it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
everyone saying its fine stop and think for one second what good reason is there to make it that shape instead of just deeper and shorter like literally everything else that goes under the tv. its just a garbage design i can only assume cos its the x model theyre aiming it for people at a desk or something.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

everyone saying its fine stop and think for one second what good reason is there to make it that shape instead of just deeper and shorter like literally everything else that goes under the tv. its just a garbage design i can only assume cos its the x model theyre aiming it for people at a desk or something.
The same reason you don't see PC cases shaped like consoles. Cooling.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Series X is almost as big as my receiver lol. I use a credenza as an entertainment center, it has space for that receiver and two normal sized consoles. No way the Series X goes inside, it would have to sit on top or on the floor.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

American McGay posted:

thats... not why pc cases are shaped the way they are... is this a bit? also is your claim that something with a form factor similar to the original xbox one cant fit sufficient cooling? the original xbox one model doesnt exactly have an anemic heatsink and fan combo, its far bigger than what was used in the launch ps4 and close to high end PC air coolers.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I maintain that they're aiming for a next-to or in-front of the TV setup for TVs mounted on the wall.

Counter point, flat rectangle design isn't friendly for the TV mounted over the fireplace.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Stux posted:

thats... not why pc cases are shaped the way they are... is this a bit? also is your claim that something with a form factor similar to the original xbox one cant fit sufficient cooling? the original xbox one model doesnt exactly have an anemic heatsink and fan combo, its far bigger than what was used in the launch ps4 and close to high end PC air coolers.

PC cases are shaped as they are for several reasons, but one of them is definitely cooling. A big box with lots of internal volume and big fans isn't pretty, but it's great for pushing air around.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

American McGay posted:

you can fit a 2080ti and a 9900k in this, a xbox series x isnt going to be any where near that hot

midrange pcs will be even cooler and there are loads of console shaped boxes for them now

big pc cases are for ease of access and a lazy industry that is slow to change from *checks notes* the 90s

ethanol fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 18, 2019

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The minecraft themed xbox series x will be cool

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

acksplode posted:

PC cases are shaped as they are for several reasons, but one of them is definitely cooling. A big box with lots of internal volume and big fans isn't pretty, but it's great for pushing air around.

no it isnt, it mightve been in the past but you can fit high end components into boxes with very little internal volume and get plenty of airflow to cool them. the main reason is the reliance on atx/matx standards and difficulty in moving off of that because of both momentum from using it for so long and also having that form factor allowing for the expandability people buy a pc for instead of something else. an imac pro fits a loving xeon and a vega into a monitor.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
People with clean living room setups either don't buy consoles or make them work for the ones they do. Put the thing on top of the cabinet and mount the drat tv. Or put it behind the TV. This isn't that big a deal.

The priced-to-move version is probably the usual VCR form factor anyway. I'm sure the Nerd Tower is just for the special people.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

What if the real XBox Series is inside the Box? maybe is something like this:

https://twitter.com/MichaelGalanin/status/1207125527867379712

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1207138776981610498

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Do former gamepass games ever come back to the service, or once they're gone are they definitely gone forever?

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

And ethan was close to spot-on, if you stacked 3 gamecubes it would be less than an inch taller in the Series X's vertical orientation, and still 1cm thinner.

Wait, three gamecubes taped together? I can't believe Nintendo didn't think of it first.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tei posted:

The minecraft themed xbox series x will be cool

I want a steve console

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is apparently the price we pay for *looks at notes* 8K resolution gaming on *checks notes again* $10,000 televisions.