Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Taycan's efficiency problem might be the fact that it has permanent magnet motors on both the front and back. Unlike with induction motors, The PM motors are very powerful and efficient but you can't simply turn one off while cruising and have it freely rotate without dragging the axle down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Pretty sure the EPA doesn't assign the mileage, the manufacture submits it and the EPA tests that it's at least within 10% (or some %) on their tests. So they could of submitted a conservative number so people don't have the thing where they never get their range on the highway.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ClassH posted:

Pretty sure the EPA doesn't assign the mileage, the manufacture submits it and the EPA tests that it's at least within 10% (or some %) on their tests. So they could of submitted a conservative number so people don't have the thing where they never get their range on the highway.

Ooooo, I thought the EPA rating was a tested number, not a verified submission.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I wish they labelled highway/city range like they do mpg. Also devise a test that differentiated between warm and cold weather

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

HONG KONG SLUMLORD posted:

I apologize to you all because I got this on Jalopnik (it’s a bad habit), but the EPA just kinda took a big crap on the Taycan by rating its range at 201 miles. :psyduck:

I know the EPA has a very different testing cycle than the WLTP parameters, but dropping 79 miles between tests is pretty insane. Not sure why the EPA’s test will result in that, but having to put 201 miles on the sticker is gonna be ugly when you compare to the 348(!) mile Model S Performance.

Edit: for those outside the US, the Leaf+ is rated at 215 miles in the same test so, yeah, that’s kinda insane.

That’s crazy. Based on my driving style it should get about 230 miles.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrYenko posted:

Ooooo, I thought the EPA rating was a tested number, not a verified submission.

It's been that way a while which is why Hyundai / Kia got hefty fines for grossly overstating their mileage.
https://jalopnik.com/hyundai-and-kia-out-745-million-over-false-mpg-claims-1654019291

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Re: Porsche, they're usually known for understating their performance, seems odd they'd get this so wrong? What are real world tests showing?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

Re: Porsche, they're usually known for understating their performance, seems odd they'd get this so wrong? What are real world tests showing?

I won’t believe anything until uncle Björn tests the Taycan out.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Elon paid off the EPA

:colbert:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MomJeans420 posted:

You could scroll up three posts and find out from someone who’s actually driven it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Got my L2 charger for the Leaf in today!

I ended up going with a no-name Chinese one, Clippercreek just didn't have the options I wanted, and I don't really want it connected to the internet and poo poo like Chargepoint wants, biggest feature for me was 16/24/32 amp selectable charging. Had to chop the NEMA 14-50 plug offa it and pit on a 6-50, confirmed that the Neutral stab is dead and not connected in the plug. Got it plugged into one of my nice welding extension cords in the garage, in a 30 amp circuit. With the selectable current model I can choose to do a nice slow 16A charge overnight, or up to 6.6kW if I want to get power in the battery in <2 hours. It's interesting to see how power drops off once the battery gets around ~95% SOC.

Had to charge off local CHAdeMO a couple times this week, both were BLINK stations, and holy poo poo these things are a shitshow of design, touchscreens angled up so they catch water, no physical protection against breakage on them, big TV screens in them for some weird loving reason... just make them big grey boxes like they should be.

In general my Leaf is awesome.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

New charger display.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Elviscat posted:

New charger display.

Nice, cool that you were able to use the CHAdeMO plugs for a while. I didn't think there were that many, but seem to be quite a few in the Seattle area on Plugshare.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nice, I like the volt/amp/Watt display.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Does that ground icon in the middle indicate a fault?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Was wondering that. What are the two amperages in the lower left? Nominal and actual?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

stevobob posted:

Does that ground icon in the middle indicate a fault?

I was wondering the same thing!

I checked that I had a good ground with my meter, it doesn't seem to impare function.

taqueso posted:

Was wondering that. What are the two amperages in the lower left? Nominal and actual?

Pretty much, max that it will draw at that setting and actual.

I like it, the kWH display is really nice, I'm tracking it on a spreadsheet since I have roomates, so we know how much of each electric bill are going to power my car.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
The manual says that it means a ground fault, but even the sample screenshot shows it happily charging while faulted. Guess it's advisory.

https://www.steam-brite.com/equipment/Zencar%2020181010%20Level%202%20EVSE%20Electric%20Vehicle%20Charger%20240v%2032amp%20ADJUSTABLE%2014-50p%20Home%20Charging%20Station%20Brochure.pdf posted:

Image to right show if charger has open ground fault. The red arrow on left show proper grounding. Red arrow on right show open ground that needs to be fixed.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Cool! Just like hopping marinas - your boat is connected and charging, but there's a mysterious ground issue - don't swim or touch anything metal while connected.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
When they say Open Ground Fault that implies to me that it is not properly grounded rather than having a true ground fault.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

helno posted:

When they say Open Ground Fault that implies to me that it is not properly grounded rather than having a true ground fault.

Yeah it's telling you that it's not properly grounded, which is a safety hazard (a real one, fix it!), not something that will prevent your equipment from working. The grounding conductor is there as an emergency drain basically, it isn't normally carrying current. But in the fail state where it's supposed to carry charge, if you don't have a proper ground, then someone's gonna get shocked.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Actually, if it is a cheap European charger, its just telling you that you are on a 120V system instead of 230 that it thinks it is.
Its probably looking to see if the ground is at the same potential as one of the legs (supposedly neutral).
As that wont be the case in a 120/240v system, you can just ignore it.

I had the same problem on a 240V UPS - if you didn't disable the fault, it says "Wiring Fault" and wouldn't close the contactor. The official solution from Eaton was to disable the fault.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

HONG KONG SLUMLORD posted:

I apologize to you all because I got this on Jalopnik (it’s a bad habit), but the EPA just kinda took a big crap on the Taycan by rating its range at 201 miles. :psyduck:

I know the EPA has a very different testing cycle than the WLTP parameters, but dropping 79 miles between tests is pretty insane. Not sure why the EPA’s test will result in that, but having to put 201 miles on the sticker is gonna be ugly when you compare to the 348(!) mile Model S Performance.

Edit: for those outside the US, the Leaf+ is rated at 215 miles in the same test so, yeah, that’s kinda insane.

The explanation is up now https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-the-porsche-taycan-turbos-epa-range-is-so-bad-1840444842

The short version is the 2 cycle EPA test Porsche used has a .7 derating factor to account for things like bad weather. So the car had the same 280ish mile range in testing but the final number is .7 of that.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Looks like the US EV federal tax credit may be getting a reform? https://thenextavenue.com/2019/12/16/electric-vehicle-credit-updated/

Big points:
  • $7,500 until 200k sold, then drops to $7,000.
  • $7,000 until 600k sold, drops to $3,500 two quarters later. After $3,500 for two quarters it's gone.
  • $2500 used credit for sub 100k income. 200k for joint filers.
  • Completely gone in 2024. No more rewarding "wait and see" from companies like Toyota.

Apparently it's got decent bipartisan support. Well see if it actually goes anywhere. These aren't retroactive unfortunately it sounds like, so if this passes and you bought with a $1,875 tax credit you're SOL.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
New tax credit program looking less likely today.

https://twitter.com/tsrandall/status/1206625780152905730

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It's my birthday, so I knocked off work early, grabbed a beer and the old multimeter, and headed out to the garage for some fun, results:

Ground pin on NEMA 6-50 to separate ground from house: 0.3Ω

Ground to first leg of 240V supply: 119VAC, 500kΩ
Ground to second leg 240V supply: samsies

Ground pin on NEMA connector to ground pin on SAE connector: 0.01Ω

For fun:
Both hot pins on the SAE connector show 0VAC to ground, so this thing definitely breaks the circuit when unplugged.

So it's definitely not a problem with the wiring TO the EVSE I wonder if it's an internal fault with some GFCI type protection on the EVSE?

Either way I'll just keep ignoring and using it until it shits itself, or until it shocks and kills me.

The Leaf is still great, woke up to a 74° car this morning, I checked the charger and the climate control apparently hogs down 2kW by itself. Electric motors just simply make better traction motors than gasoline or diesel though, it's not terrible to drive, a lower ratio rack and heavier touch on the wheel would go a long way to making it feel sporty and fun.

It also has a HUGE usable volume in the cab, great for running errands.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The cybertruck was spotted on public roads again

build quality suggests it's nearing production spec

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Powershift posted:

Don't believe it. Surely they'll have to add side mirrors for the production version.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That front end is going to kill people :argh:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

Don't Doxx me please

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Powershift posted:

That's the H variant, I'm waiting for the S variant myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGR9EOgMY6w

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Powershift posted:

This must be the smaller version Elon mentioned would be coming. Once again Tesla delivers on all of its promises in a timely fashion.

In other news, act surprised that Trump dropped an executive veto on the tax credit reform.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Mercedes went from this

to this

Great work! Another generic SUV/Crossover shaped vehicle.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Looks like you can get a tax credit for home charger cost, retroactively:

quote:

Due to an amendment made to the year-end spending bill, taxpayers will once again qualify for a 30% rebate (up to $1,000) on costs associated with the installation of an EV charging station, a 10% credit (up to $2,500) on 2- or 3-wheeled electric vehicles such as electric motorcycles, and a $4,000 credit for the purchase of a new fuel-cell vehicle.

These credits previously expired at the end of 2017, but will now be available through the end of 2020. The credits are available retroactively. Presumably, this means that taxpayers can and should file amended returns for previous years

stevewm
May 10, 2005
drat... the credit was in effect in 2017?! I thought it expired in 2016! I bought a ClipperCreek 20A EVSE in Feb. of 2017. I wonder if I can still claim that somehow.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Awesome, my Energica Ego just got 10% cheaper

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Looks like you can get a tax credit for home charger cost, retroactively:

Does this include e-bikes, or just electric motorcycles? It'd be nice to get a ~$100 credit for the e-bike I just bought.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Mercedes went from this

to this

Why, yes, the same people that loves the sleek 3-door would love another tall 5-door thing! How could you think otherwise?

Just once, I want to see a car mag picture the concept, then the “finished” work in a review, and title the review “What The gently caress Is This?” or something along the lines of “Manufacturer X Shows One Thing, Bait And Switches To Another”.

If what you intend to build is a loving CUV, make the “concept” a CUV. Quit blue-balling.

Not that I can afford to buy anything new anyway...

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Mercedes went from this

to this

Well, that nixes my wife's C240 replacement. She hates SUV's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Darchangel posted:

Just once, I want to see a car mag picture the concept, then the “finished” work in a review, and title the review “What The gently caress Is This?” or something along the lines of “Manufacturer X Shows One Thing, Bait And Switches To Another”.

Honestly, these both sound like jalopnik headlines.