Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Looks like for the "new" B-wing they stuck a Firefly cockpit on instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Captain Splendid posted:

Similar to the ship in Fallen Order.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lampsacus posted:

midnight nz viewing:very fun. quick movement of plot, crazy ambience and laser sword times. did midnights for fa and last jedi too. jj let me rest now goodnight its 3am why

Good enough for a Star Wars film, honestly.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

WaPo's spoiler free review: wet fart end to the 9 films. But lol this reviewer expected some transcendent moment

quote:

Everybody wants a happy ending. But that doesn’t mean that we should always get the one we want. It’s fine, if also cliche, to be reminded that good will triumph over evil. But it would make for a deeper and more powerful lesson — one that, after nine movies, might leave a lasting dent in the heart — if the hero actually had to give up something, or someone, that didn’t feel like a tiniest bit of a cop-out.

hahahaha its a Star Wars movie :wtc:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bilirubin posted:

WaPo's spoiler free review: wet fart end to the 9 films. But lol this reviewer expected some transcendent moment

hahahaha its a Star Wars movie :wtc:

They successfully did this in RotJ though?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

quote:

Everybody wants a happy ending. But that doesn’t mean that we should always get the one we want. It’s fine, if also cliche, to be reminded that good will triumph over evil. But it would make for a deeper and more powerful lesson — one that, after nine movies, might leave a lasting dent in the heart — if the hero actually had to give up something, or someone, that didn’t feel like a tiniest bit of a cop-out.

Doesn't literally every theatrically released movie in the franchise already do this?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I love 53 Minute Youtube Video and I'm going to be 53 Minute Youtube Video for halloween

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Holy poo poo I was not expecting that RT score. Figured it would be a crowd pleaser like Force Awakens in the 90% range. It looks like they tried to please everyone and created a mess.

edit: IDK why but I'm more excited about seeing it now

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Terrible IX pitch"
"Rey is a robot"

Why are these in the same sentence?

Also am I supposed to have some tricked-out super TV to make the D+ versions of the films look good?

Is it supposed to be that dim?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I can't recall ever agreeing with a critic about a Star War that came out in my lifetime.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

I see that Rotten Tomatoes is good now and not paid off by Disney

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
"Last lines of unkind RoS reviews" is my favorite new literary subgenre. Check these out:

-Star Wars was modelled on John Ford’s The Searchers and Akira Kurosawa’s Hidden Fortress. The current “content” has more in common with the last update of your PC’s operating system. Have fun watching the grey bar complete itself.

-In that way, the film is an interesting study in how mega studios react to fan feedback, a whole movie crafted out of Sonic the Hedgehog’s retextured fur.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Guze posted:

I see that Rotten Tomatoes is good now and not paid off by Disney

RT will always be pointless and bad, but it seems like the zeitgeist has shifted enough that at least half of all critics now feel comfortable enough making these Star Wars movies the butt of jokes as a way to get clicks, rather than just fawning all over them as a way to get clicks.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Lucas I understand, but did Fisher have more important things going on or something?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i can’t believe they dropped a moon on chewbacca

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Colonel Whitey posted:

Lucas I understand, but did Fisher have more important things going on or something?

She just had a problem on her flight.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So did Adam Driver attend the premiere and then run away screaming before they could show the film, or did he get over his phobia?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

"They died"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

PT6A posted:

So did Adam Driver attend the premiere and then run away screaming before they could show the film, or did he get over his phobia?

It's not fun to make fun of peoples mental illness. Some idiot tried doing the same as he cancelled an interview where they started playing back audio.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Vintersorg posted:

It's not fun to make fun of peoples mental illness. Some idiot tried doing the same as he cancelled an interview where they started playing back audio.

It was Terry Gross at NPR, which is doubly insulting because Gross has interviewed Driver before and they talked about his phobia at the time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Vintersorg posted:

I don't mean to make fun of it, I don't think he's mentally ill just because he has a completely understandable phobia, but after that made headlines, I'm just curious why he attended the premiere if he can't watch himself. What do you do in that situation? Greet everyone, talk with some people, then wander off and drink for a couple of hours while other people watch the film?

EDIT: I should add I think he absolutely did the right thing walking out of that interview.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Probably, haha. Do the press, make the rounds then head back.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It was Terry Gross at NPR, which is doubly insulting because Gross has interviewed Driver before and they talked about his phobia at the time.

Reading NPR's statement, their claim is that they had informed him to take off his headset so that they could play the clip for the audience, after which they would signal him to put it back on. They said they did this in the previous interview without issue.

Maybe there was some massive miscommunication, or someone said something insulting about his phobia?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

PT6A posted:

I don't mean to make fun of it, I don't think he's mentally ill just because he has a completely understandable phobia, but after that made headlines, I'm just curious why he attended the premiere if he can't watch himself. What do you do in that situation? Greet everyone, talk with some people, then wander off and drink for a couple of hours while other people watch the film?

EDIT: I should add I think he absolutely did the right thing walking out of that interview.

given early reactions it sounds like that's a better way to spend a night than actually watching TROS

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

Reading NPR's statement, their claim is that they had informed him to take off his headset so that they could play the clip for the audience, after which they would signal him to put it back on. They said they did this in the previous interview without issue.

Maybe there was some massive miscommunication, or someone said something insulting about his phobia?

Maybe it's fuckoff rude for them to ignore his preference that they not play a clip, even if they think they found a "solution"?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Captain Splendid posted:

This is just sad. The awful design work is an under-discussed feature of the sequels.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE2j5fJR1sQ

Why the dagger is important in Rise of Skywalker.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

There is just one thing I want to know:

How much did they ruin my son, Kylo Ren

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Bholder posted:

There is just one thing I want to know:

How much did they ruin my son, Kylo Ren

They ruin everything else but kylo comes out of it okay, i think.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

What are the chances they try to pull a dark fate in this series and make a new sequel to ROTJ that ignores the existing trilogy. I mean like ten years from now and theoretically with a Feige type overseeing the actual story.

I guess theoretically you could just set a sequel far into the future that doesn't really reference the ST much.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PT6A posted:

Maybe it's fuckoff rude for them to ignore his preference that they not play a clip, even if they think they found a "solution"?

No maybes about it, it definitely is!

It sounds like they had worked out this :airquote:solution:airquote: with him in previous interview, assumed that the same solution would work this time, and it uh didn't for some reason which isn't totally clear yet at this point

If they didn't clarify with him in advance that they could use the same solution, that's certainly rude, among a bunch of other rude poo poo they could have done (I even mention some examples in my post)

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Elfgames posted:

i'm gonna bite the bait and say that ANH is a movie from the 80's and is definitely silly honestly the sequels haven't really been very silly like theres kinda the scene in TFA where fin gets eaten and then the stuff with luke drinking blue milk and the porgs in TLJ

I’m not talking about general textural silliness, I’m talking about things that would be considered “plot holes” or “characters being dumb for no reason” by the standards of today’s redlettermedia types. And by the way this

Elfgames posted:

sorry it's a 70's movie which were even worse, my point is that in general movies have evolved as a medium since ANH came out

is an absolutely wild assertion. How many 70s movies have you seen? The 70s are widely considered to be an incredible time for cinema.

It’s my sense that it’s not so much movies that have changed, but audiences. Star Wars has been so baked into people’s brains when they were kids that they’re hyper sensitive to anything that doesn’t completely jive with their version of it, even if that version is not consistent with the actual movies. It’s the toxic effect of internalizing media so that it becomes part of one’s identity. It was a nigh impossible task to satisfy the fans with these movies...this is why JJ played it so safe with episode 7. I personally found the movie kinda boring aside from the new characters. But that’s JJ’s strength, he can set up stories and characters incredibly well, he just can’t follow through.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Colonel Whitey posted:

I’m not talking about general textural silliness, I’m talking about things that would be considered “plot holes” or “characters being dumb for no reason” by the standards of today’s redlettermedia types. And by the way this

is an absolutely wild assertion. How many 70s movies have you seen? The 70s are widely considered to be an incredible time for cinema.

It’s my sense that it’s not so much movies that have changed, but audiences. Star Wars has been so baked into people’s brains when they were kids that they’re hyper sensitive to anything that doesn’t completely jive with their version of it, even if that version is not consistent with the actual movies. It’s the toxic effect of internalizing media so that it becomes part of one’s identity. It was a nigh impossible task to satisfy the fans with these movies...this is why JJ played it so safe with episode 7. I personally found the movie kinda boring aside from the new characters. But that’s JJ’s strength, he can set up stories and characters incredibly well, he just can’t follow through.

A lot of 70s films are amazing, but it depends on the genre. Plenty of action/adventure movies of the time look hokey as hell, even by 80s standards. ANH was far above its peers of its time though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Any time you feel disappointed in Star Wars, tell yourself:

This is the way

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Lol, RT has it at 58%.

lmao, get rekt JJ

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m seeing 57%. Oof.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Chillin at 53 on metacritic. Can’t get a read on whether the movie is divisive or just mediocre

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m guessing mediocre. It’s JJ Abrams and it’s not the beginning of the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The tomat-o-meter isn't holding, captain! We're at 57% and dropping fast!