Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Erebus posted:

This is the first time I've noticed that apparently the sound effect for rocking a dude's can is WHONK

Dang, I never thought it would be like this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

Dang, I never thought it would be like this!

Oh my god

This is so wackyyyy

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
KOODGE

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeCrotch posted:

He also got mad rutty with the care worker in the thing and low rise jeans
Sounds like a Claim to me, though he did wear the sex crown.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It always seemed to me like Ray was trapped by his predilections for a type of woman that was incompatible with his generally blissed out lifestyle. Much like Teodor always secretly craving WASP-y business women, Ray's preferred lady would as soon hit him with his own car as actually put up with a night of his regular life.

He is probably best living in the poolhouse, only visiting the women of the tribe when more children are needed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

theironjef posted:

It always seemed to me like Ray was trapped by his predilections for a type of woman that was incompatible with his generally blissed out lifestyle. Much like Teodor always secretly craving WASP-y business women, Ray's preferred lady would as soon hit him with his own car as actually put up with a night of his regular life.

He is probably best living in the poolhouse, only visiting the women of the tribe when more children are needed.

Ray is like Alexander, who wept when he had no more worlds to conquer. It’s like him doing the outdoor fight, he can exceed but he needs a challenge.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://imgur.com/gallery/2wSwCwL

J-Lo Whaaat? Biting lil' neph's style!

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I just started reading all of the blogs again, and it is *shocking* how good the writing can be. I really enjoyed this passage from a book Ray was writing about made up words and the celebrities who created them:

"You and I are on a journey, and language is both our coach and our impossible goal. Speaking the English language is like jumping a sports car through a gap in a quickly-passing train, only to find that on the other side is a table full of girls from the Clinique counter who get quiet and then call you 'random.'"

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Women working at cosmetic and fragrance counters in department stores come up a lot in Ray's blog.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I remember Ray having a nervous breakdown when no one attended one of his most ostentatious parties, oblivious to the fact that it was because they were all hanging out with Philippe

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Or that time when Philippe got lost and Ray was literally bribing Teodor not to leave. Could the dude also have circumstances?

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

Necronomicon posted:

I just started reading all of the blogs again, and it is *shocking* how good the writing can be. I really enjoyed this passage from a book Ray was writing about made up words and the celebrities who created them:

"You and I are on a journey, and language is both our coach and our impossible goal. Speaking the English language is like jumping a sports car through a gap in a quickly-passing train, only to find that on the other side is a table full of girls from the Clinique counter who get quiet and then call you 'random.'"

He really needs to write a regular-type book.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

I remember Ray having a nervous breakdown when no one attended one of his most ostentatious parties, oblivious to the fact that it was because they were all hanging out with Philippe

I think that entirely played out in the blogs. Wasn't that "Enormous by Ray Smuckles"? I think I remember one of his ideas was literally having people wheeled around on stretchers by foxy nurses with bottles of Ketel One on IV stands, or something.

I may be conflating two party ideas since, you know, Ray.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Pastry of the Year posted:

I think that entirely played out in the blogs. Wasn't that "Enormous by Ray Smuckles"? I think I remember one of his ideas was literally having people wheeled around on stretchers by foxy nurses with bottles of Ketel One on IV stands, or something.

I may be conflating two party ideas since, you know, Ray.

Right, and all the drinks would be served in magnum sized bottles, and the meal was ostrich eggs Benedict served with three pints of hollandaise. The following week he went in the opposite direction and held the smallest possible party, lasting only sixty seconds

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the blogs also covered ray's ongoing and deeply pathetic pool competition with cornelius

and it's where i learned that philippe is actually native french (bordeaux, specifically)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

My favorite of the blogs is Pat's. It's just such a careful examination of a very particular variety of NorCal rear end in a top hat. All the stuff about him dressing himself as a meathead so he won't get noticed shopping in the Trader Joes, or calling Cornelius to shame him for old captioning because it clearly bothered Rod (it very obviously did not bother Rod).

Plus that last entry with Rod constantly going to cider and fry bars, which I have yet to find in California but now I desperately want to. I want to drink ciders by the pitcher and climb into bed like a big farting pile of college before snoring like an apneating didgeridoo.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The teodor blogs about women are loving hilarious but overall the best blog is the one ray blog where a girl he’s on a date with Urps Bellini into his mouth while they’re making out, which also causes Ray to Urp involuntarily into her mouth.

That or the one where Cornelius falls thru a rooftop window

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ive never had the patience to work my way through the blogs but maybe I could tackle that while work is shut down for the holidays

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Phy posted:

Ive never had the patience to work my way through the blogs but maybe I could tackle that while work is shut down for the holidays

I found the timeline here useful for reading the blogs in order

(scroll down a bit to get to where the blogs actually start, the first ones are in July 2004)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Phy posted:

I kinda envy you because reading the blogs for the first time was a wonderful (and in Pat's case, wonderfully infuriating) experience.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The image is missing now due to link rot, but I remember thinking oh, this is going to be good when Nice Pete got a blog and the first post was just a picture of what looked like a spatter of vomit in the corner of a filthy room.

Fake edit: archive.org has us covered (warning: a picture of what looks like a spatter of vomit in the corner of a filthy room)

I can't choose a favorite blog or character's voice but I remember really disliking Little Nephew, like, more than I did just from the strips. I'm sure that was intentional.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The blogs are fantastic, I’m very envious of anyone reading them for the first time. They were such a natural extension of the comic and they started about at the peak of achewood as a comedy thing. Teodors risotto fight with onstad, pats experience with the samoan mailman, all of Molly’s food service travails. gently caress. All so good

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It takes Molly a little while to figure out Showbiz's deal.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Molly's "Achewood A-List" entries are maybe my favorite of all the blogs.

quote:

Can you guess it? Coffee beverage of PETER H. "NICE PETE" CROPES, the main guy in town who can make you uncomfortable in under one second? No, you can't guess it. Because he changes it every day. And when he does order the same drink again (e.g. quattro venti Americano) he uses an accent. Like he's working on an alternate identity. Someone needs to tell him that ALL HIS ACCENTS SOUND LIKE A GAY SOUTHERN MAN WITH A LISP.

Some day I will order Ray's "High Systolic" latte and drink like a quarter of it before giving up.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

I found the timeline here useful for reading the blogs in order

(scroll down a bit to get to where the blogs actually start, the first ones are in July 2004)

I had that bookmarked but thanks for the reminder, I've had a couple sleepless nights recently and this helped with the not spinning

R I S O T T O ?

E: JESUS CHRIST WHAT HAPPENED TO MY AVATAR

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Oh god how awful, how awful to live with Rachael Ray. How awful to watch what happens. How awful to eat what happens.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The image is missing now due to link rot, but I remember thinking oh, this is going to be good when Nice Pete got a blog and the first post was just a picture of what looked like a spatter of vomit in the corner of a filthy room.

Fake edit: archive.org has us covered (warning: a picture of what looks like a spatter of vomit in the corner of a filthy room)

I can't choose a favorite blog or character's voice but I remember really disliking Little Nephew, like, more than I did just from the strips. I'm sure that was intentional.
second: the first is just "peter h cropse" as the title and body

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The blogs for LN and maybe to a lesser extent Lyle lean way too hard into trying to render the way they'd type, very hard to read compared to their strip dialogue.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
neff’s blogs were weak in part because of his jive lingo but mostly because he didn’t lead that interesting a life compared to the rest of the cast. he was a spoiled kid who sold weed, that’s about it

the only thing I retain from his blogposts is that he wasn’t a dick to the maid, which is frankly more than I expected from him

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02102005

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

I liked the bit where LN was trying to hit on Molly and was so bad at it that Molly thought he had a thing for the manager who brought in her parents to meet him

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think my favorite blog of all time is when Molly is alone at Christmas and then Roast Beef shows up with a present for her :shobon:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

OK I got to rereading Little Nephew's blogs and they're better than I remembered, at least '04-'05 so far. His description of Suicide Girls: "Sanford and Son would get much wood, they see so much junk and metal."

e: kept going and it is like exactly in 2006 that his blogs start getting way bogged down in excessive slang and misspellings the way I was remembering it

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 21, 2019

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I seem to recall Lyle being locked away in a Scottish finishing school with no access to hooch which made his blog entries better spelled, with better grammar, etc. When that storyline ended his blog went right back to being barely literate. Or am I misremembering?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No that absolutely happened and it was amazing.

Edit: Starts here and finishes here.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 21, 2019

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
That arc even got mentioned in the comic at one point.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Happy Hippo posted:

I seem to recall Lyle being locked away in a Scottish finishing school with no access to hooch which made his blog entries better spelled, with better grammar, etc. When that storyline ended his blog went right back to being barely literate. Or am I misremembering?

This might be my favourite blog arc. Deeply compelling.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

OK I got to rereading Little Nephew's blogs and they're better than I remembered, at least '04-'05 so far. His description of Suicide Girls: "Sanford and Son would get much wood, they see so much junk and metal."

e: kept going and it is like exactly in 2006 that his blogs start getting way bogged down in excessive slang and misspellings the way I was remembering it

I do remember liking a concept that showed up in a Nef blog, which was a Chinese/Italian fusion pizza restaurant where you could get a steamed sesame bread pizza with orange chicken already on it. Wonderful idea, I'm ready to invest.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
'Stad on Apprentice-era Trump:

quote:

Is it too early to be sick of The Apprentice Season 2? The first time around it was interesting to see who Donald Trump was, and to watch people try to be smart and aggressive and try to meet his challenges. The latest season is being billed purely as a pricks'n'bitches glass cage match, with "The Donald's" ego in full engorgement. Sometimes I feel like he's just sitting on a big rotating leather La-Z-Boy at the exact center of America, jacking off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

This is probably old news to most of y'all but I just heard it for the first time and loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTlzUpmp8sY