Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

If you are making deposits large enough to be multiple % of your whole portfolio regularly enough for it to matter that's a good problem.

I'm still vesting so I am and I've been considering adding the exact thing dexter6 is asking about just to make things a bit easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I just realized that next November I'm going to have some vested money that I'll have to figure this out for anyway, so I'll see what I can do. You've put my "this is an interesting problem" hat on my head.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

Are there any good alternatives? The issue with google finance is that we have various accounts across multiple providers.

2nding Personal Capital. I have a referral code that gets you a $20 Amazon GC if you sign up using it, and I get one too. Let me know if you want it, I'll PM you.

It's free, they only charge if you want to talk to an advisor. I've been using it to replace Google Finance after a custom =GOOGLEFINANCE formula spreadsheet was just too much legwork to maintain and futz with. Does everything quite nicely.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

I'm still vesting so I am and I've been considering adding the exact thing dexter6 is asking about just to make things a bit easier.

I just let it swing off into la la land and have my 401k walk it back. I'm just OK with it going from 70/30 to 80/20 for 6 months while I ignore it. I make little best guess swags at it but don't overthink it. Full View shows me their little number and I can see it moving around, seems great.

Most people don't have this problem, and even if they do it's only quarterly. "Ok I got $100k from a stock sale, so I'll send $30k to the feds, $10k to the state, and toss $60k in my taxable so I need to glance at my accounts and see which has more than $60k in $FUND to sell so I can buy it in taxable." Sure machines could do this for you, but the input effort if it's not something you do day in and day out is going to be not worth the effort in my book for something done 4 times a year - plus at that rate you're probably going to exhaust your ability to do it in your IRA/401k depending on how well you've done at saving there over the past however many years.

I'm not going to google how to do linear algebra to solve this. :v:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Just got an email from Citi's Accelerate Savings Account dropping from either 2.1 or 2.05 (I forget) to 1.85%. But it's still competitive against Ally and such.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Hoodwinker posted:

I just realized that next November I'm going to have some vested money that I'll have to figure this out for anyway, so I'll see what I can do. You've put my "this is an interesting problem" hat on my head.
Okay, I figured it out conceptually and it turns out it's extremely easy. Later when I make changes to my own sheet, I'll explain the formulas used in greater detail. In the meantime, here's the gist:

The amount you need to buy/sell from each asset class is a simple calculation. The pieces of information you need are the following: your portfolio's total balance, the intended percentage of your portfolio for each asset class, and the actual percentage of your portfolio for each asset class. Apply each percentage (intended/actual) to your total balance, and you've got your intended balance and your actual balance for each asset class. Simply subtract your actual balance from your intended balance. The list of these are your rebalance amounts. For each item in the list, if the number is positive, you need to add this much and if the number is negative, you need to subtract this much. When you do this on your entire portfolio, you may notice something - the sum of the rebalance amounts is $0. This means if you were to do nothing but a straight rebalance, these calculations will tell you exactly what asset class to sell, how much, and then specifically where to add it.

An example:

quote:

Total Balance - $100,000

Asset A:
Intended Percentage - 50%
Actual Percentage - 45%
Intended Amount - $50,000
Actual Amount - $45,000

Asset B:
Intended Percentage - 30%
Actual Percentage - 15%
Intended Amount - $30,000
Actual Amount - $15,000

Asset C:
Intended Percentage - 20%
Actual Percentage - 40%
Intended Amount - $20,000
Actual Amount - $40,000

Rebalance Amounts:
Asset A - $5,000
Asset B - $15,000
Asset C - ($20,000)

(Sum of Rebalance Amounts - $0)

The next step is also simple: if you're adding money to the portfolio, increase your cash allocation by the amount you're adding. If you redo the previous calculations using your new increased balance and your cash allocation as an asset like any other, then the same principles will hold. The rebalance amounts will show you exactly where money needs to be added, and where it needs to be removed. This works whether you're adding $0 or $1,000,000.

This doesn't address the issue of, "Okay, which accounts do I need to buy/sell from?", but I feel like as an exercise that part is trivial compared to the simple math of, "How much needs to go into which bucket?"

H110Hawk posted:

I'm not going to google how to do linear algebra to solve this. :v:
I suck poo poo at math so I was pleased to see how easy it actually is. This is barely an effort to add to my existing spreadsheet. I don't even need to change anything else on the sheet, I can just add a little widget that I can plug a new actual cash amount into and have it show me what goes where.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 17, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hoodwinker posted:

The next step is also simple: if you're adding money to the portfolio, increase your cash allocation by the amount you're adding.

Right, everything up to and including this part is straight forward math.

Now what? As H110Hawk said, it's linear algebra that I have not used for decades and don't remember anymore.

My wife probably does. She's weirdly good about remembering every last bit of math she's ever learned.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Motronic posted:

Right, everything up to and including this part is straight forward math.

Now what? As H110Hawk said, it's linear algebra that I have not used for decades and don't remember anymore.

My wife probably does. She's weirdly good about remembering every last bit of math she's ever learned.
What's the next part? Figuring out which accounts to put the money into? Why do you need linear algebra for this?

Edit: I'm doing some poking around and I think I see what you're getting at. If you want to have your portfolio rebalanced without having to reproduce a 4-fund in each account so you can apply the appropriate balance based on only the money you're adding to the account, it gets a little weird, because you have to sell assets from another account to make up for the difference you might be applying to the first account.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 17, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you’re adding a fixed, known amount of funds, you don’t.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

MJP posted:

2nding Personal Capital. I have a referral code that gets you a $20 Amazon GC if you sign up using it, and I get one too. Let me know if you want it, I'll PM you.

It's free, they only charge if you want to talk to an advisor. I've been using it to replace Google Finance after a custom =GOOGLEFINANCE formula spreadsheet was just too much legwork to maintain and futz with. Does everything quite nicely.

I use personal capital as well. Just much easier.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

More poking around and I'm not really seeing a huge issue? If you get a big windfall and you dump it into VTSAX in taxable, the auto-balancer will tell me how much I need to sell VTSAX in tax-advantaged accounts to turn it into bonds or international or whatever to make up the shortfall.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hoodwinker posted:

More poking around and I'm not really seeing a huge issue? If you get a big windfall and you dump it into VTSAX in taxable, the auto-balancer will tell me how much I need to sell VTSAX in tax-advantaged accounts to turn it into bonds or international or whatever to make up the shortfall.

Yeah, I get that. It works for adding things, not so much for automatically suggesting a rebalance. It's probably not very important. I just made another column for "proposed (addition/removal)" per asset class on a copy of my main tab where you can just play with numbers to see how your balance ends up. Pos/neg for a straight rebalance and/or make sure the sum of that column ends up at the number you are adding. It's not like exact precision is needed here. I'm probably overthinking it as more of an interesting problem than a "close enough" thing.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Motronic posted:

Yeah, I get that. It works for adding things, not so much for automatically suggesting a rebalance. It's probably not very important. I just made another column for "proposed (addition/removal)" per asset class on a copy of my main tab where you can just play with numbers to see how your balance ends up. Pos/neg for a straight rebalance and/or make sure the sum of that column ends up at the number you are adding. It's not like exact precision is needed here. I'm probably overthinking it as more of an interesting problem than a "close enough" thing.
Assuming you have a variety of accounts and a variety of funds in those accounts, it's pretty easy to do a $0 rebalance from what I'm seeing. That's one of the things I was trying to point out with my example: it doesn't matter how much money you're adding to your accounts, the concept behind a rebalance is the starting point and adding money is just adding a cash position you need to distribute across your entire portfolio. If you're dumping money into a taxable account and the only thing you're buying in there is VTSAX, but you're over-allocated on US equities, you sell VTSAX in another account to buy whatever you're deficient in.

I just added this to my spreadsheet so if I want to know what it'll take to do a rebalance, I can scan this and figure out which account I can sell a higher asset to buy the lower asset in as long as it has a sufficient amount of the one I need to sell.

I feel like this has gone assumed and therefore unspoken until this point, but we should all be on the same page that you rebalance the portfolio and not the account, so the original premise of, "How do I balance a purchase inside of a given account?" doesn't really make sense because you can always shift money in other accounts into the balances you need for your overall allocation. I know you know this (and basically everything I've brought up so far), Motronic, but I'm not sure about others.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 17, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hoodwinker posted:

I feel like this has gone assumed and therefore unspoken until this point, but we should all be on the same page that you rebalance the portfolio and not the account, so the original premise of, "How do I balance a purchase inside of a given account?" doesn't really make sense because you can always shift money in other accounts into the balances you need for your overall allocation. I know you know this (and basically everything I've brought up so far), Motronic, but I'm not sure about others.

Correct. I understood your line of spreadsheet magic as goal solving to the account:ticker level. The logic I was aiming for is this screenshot:

It's super easy to talk past each other on the internet. Even if your'e wrong.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hoodwinker posted:

Yeah, we're on the same page with rebalancing a PORTFOLIO, not accounts. But I think what you have up there is the same as my "diff" column. In which case a $0 in rebalance where you sold 4400.75 of your total market funds to rebalance would actually be overselling. That's why I basically made a scratch-pad calculator for "what if" scenarios.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Motronic posted:

Yeah, we're on the same page with rebalancing a PORTFOLIO, not accounts. But I think what you have up there is the same as my "diff" column. In which case a $0 in rebalance where you sold 4400.75 of your total market funds to rebalance would actually be overselling. That's why I basically made a scratch-pad calculator for "what if" scenarios.
I'm not sure why you think it would be overselling. I tested by subtracting $3,964.46 in VTSAX from my Roth and added the same to VBTLX in my Roth and I got this?

If I had instead sold the full $4,400.75 and distributed $3,964.46 to bonds and ~$706.28 to international, I would be totally zeroed out. Where does the overselling come from?

H110Hawk posted:

Correct. I understood your line of spreadsheet magic as goal solving to the account:ticker level. The logic I was aiming for is this screenshot:

It's super easy to talk past each other on the internet. Even if your'e wrong.
I'm not clear on what you mean by this.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, we're at the point of sharing spreadsheets/examples. Because it feels like we all missing each other and I'm probably the dumb one so I want those formulas.

My power is out and I'm phone postin. I'll get to it later when I have a real machine to work off of.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Motronic posted:

Yeah, we're at the point of sharing spreadsheets/examples. Because it feels like we all missing each other and I'm probably the dumb one so I want those formulas.

My power is out and I'm phone postin. I'll get to it later when I have a real machine to work off of.
Rather than gum up this thread any further, I'll PM you when I get a chance and break everything out I have in my spreadsheet (or you can PM me).

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I have Personal Capital, and I use Wealthfront and Betterment solely as trackers (looked into their products, not a fan), but honestly my favorite is still just good ol' lovely Quicken, which I pay like $50 a year but I like it the best. It's a nice mix of automated and easily manually adjusted.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Quicken 2008 was perfect, it's a shame intuit cripples it by disabling transaction downloads after 3 years.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I realize it's not worthwhile to try to time your investments, but what about timing Roth conversions?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Small White Dragon posted:

I realize it's not worthwhile to try to time your investments, but what about timing Roth conversions?

I mean, that's a tax question not a investment timing the market question. What are you trying to accomplish? Backdoor roth annual conversion or trickling money out of a traditional IRA into Roth?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

I had this discussion with my dad, and forgive me if I'm offbase in my assumptions here, but if you're thinking about trying to time the Roth conversions so you end up with more money (because less is pulled out for taxes), I'll point out that the raw impact on your portfolio is the same as long as your tax rate is the same.

Here's an example using a 22% federal tax rate:

quote:

First, the starting values:
ConvertingNow --- $78,000 = $100,000 - ($100,000 * 22%)
ConvertingLater --- $100,000

Then, apply a market drop to it of 10%:
ConvertingNow --- $70,200 = $78,000 * 90%
ConvertingLater --- $90,000 =$100,000 * 90%

Finally, what you end up with:
ConvertingNow --- $70,200
ConvertingLater --- $70,200 = $90,000 - ($90,000 * 22%)
Basically, as long as you don't sell and then delay converting for a while, you end up at the same place. Market value should not affect your conversion timing. Conversion value might if it affects what tax bracket you'll be in, and a significant enough drop might impact that.

Now if you want to do it because you don't have as much money on hand to cover the tax burden of the conversion with, that's a different story. There's always the possibility that by delaying, the market goes up and your timing might get hosed up if you need 5 years for the money to season and the market decides to rise another 20% in the next year. If you have the ability to cover the taxes on the conversion now and timing of your withdrawal later is a factor, you probably want to just bite the bullet and convert now.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 18, 2019

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I mean, timing Roth conversions means timing tax rates, we are at lows historically but who knows what the future brings?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Higher taxes almost inevitably. They can't get much lower anyway, and if they don't get higher soonish we are going to have a lot of problems on our hands.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

moana posted:

I mean, timing Roth conversions means timing tax rates, we are at lows historically but who knows what the future brings?
In this context, absolutely. I'm basically always in favor of doing a conversion ASAP if you can afford it and your current rate is low.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I like personal capital, but make sure to use a Google voice number or some sort of burner because they are RELENTLESS with the phone calls to get you to sign up for their paid services.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!

Minty Swagger posted:

I like personal capital, but make sure to use a Google voice number or some sort of burner because they are RELENTLESS with the phone calls to get you to sign up for their paid services.
I did their first call to get them off my back, and haven’t heard from them in nearly a year. They are pretty relentless about that first call though, and they ultimately got like 30 min of my time.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I got a million calls at first but it stopped.

They do reach out whenever you use the retirement feature. Might be other triggers as well that I haven't noticed.

I never answer but I think if you do and tell them you aren't interested they stop for a while.

To me its a low price for a great app. I'd totally pay for a reasonable subscription price.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Google fi sends the calls from them straight to voicemail and my phone doesn't even ring. I will notice a voicemail weeks later. I sometimes feel bad, I mean I could answer once and just say no thanks, I know that works. I like the features though for checking my allocation and running Monte Carlo simulations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Hoodwinker posted:

In this context, absolutely. I'm basically always in favor of doing a conversion ASAP if you can afford it and your current rate is low.
Want to tell that to the clients who didn't want to do any roth conversion this year at zero income because they would "pay extra in taxes"?

(I wasn't there for that meeting but my boss said he was ready to jump off a cliff by the end of it trying to convince them)

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

moana posted:

Want to tell that to the clients who didn't want to do any roth conversion this year at zero income because they would "pay extra in taxes"?

(I wasn't there for that meeting but my boss said he was ready to jump off a cliff by the end of it trying to convince them)
When my parents and I first started planning out how to execute all of their retirement withdrawals and stuff, my dad told me about how a lot of times the planners they had spoken to would frame things within the perspective of, "paying the lowest taxes" but that always meant, "doing backflips to try to pay the lowest dollar amount of taxes not the lowest percentage of assets."

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Re: Personal Capital sales calls, I flat out told them that I was using a Boglehead-ish portfolio that I was managing myself, I had no plans to make major changes, and it was doing well enough over time, so I was just using the service to track everything in one place. They stopped after that.

Doesn't help that my "personal financial advisor" whose face pops up every few logins looks like a slightly less skinny version of Kenneth from 30 Rock, and his name is Bucky Bamford, which is totally the Winter Soldier, and the cognitive dissonance just makes me laugh. I'm sure he's a decent guy, just an unfortunate match for my pop culture exposure.

Going onto the question about timing conversions... I have a trad IRA that's got around $83k in it. My wife's is around $36k (she was disabled for a few years and we could only contribute the tax-break maximum). We've been income-limited from trad IRA benefits for a few years now and I opened up a Roth so I can draw from it when I'm retired.

My accountant calculated that it'd be best to convert it over in $5,000/year chunks ($2500 for each of our IRAs) to keep capital gains taxes low. Is there any reason I shouldn't convert it over time and just get it all done in one big chunky taxy swoop?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

MJP posted:

My accountant calculated that it'd be best to convert it over in $5,000/year chunks ($2500 for each of our IRAs) to keep capital gains taxes low. Is there any reason I shouldn't convert it over time and just get it all done in one big chunky taxy swoop?
First, there's no capital gains tax on conversions, it'll just be at your marginal rate. And second, it's not unreasonable to convert as much at once that a) you're paying the same marginal rate on (so don't convert so much that a portion of that is being paid at the next step up) and b) that you have the cash on hand to cover the tax liability because you can't withhold an amount from the conversion for that unless you're over retirement age (I think).

Example:
You're MFJ and your AGI is otherwise $50,000 and your marginal rate is 12%. You have $5,000 in liquid cash available. You can safely convert up to $28,950 because the next marginal rate (22%) starts at $78,950. You have more than the ~$3,500 available in liquid form to cover the tax liability ($28,950 * 12%) from the conversion, so you're golden.

Example 2:
You're MFJ and your AGI is otherwise $50,000 and your marginal rate is 12%. You only have $600 in cash available to cover the additional tax liability, so you can safely convert only up to $5,000 ($600 / 12%) even though your marginal rate ceiling is much higher.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 19, 2019

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Unless you know you're going to have a year in the near future where your taxable income is going to be significantly lower and drop you into a lower tax bracket, then there's no point in waiting, particularly if you want to get started on backdoor Roth IRA contributions. This is subject to the limitations that Hoodwinker mentioned, would not do enough to push you into the next income tax bracket and make sure you have enough cash on hand to cover the tax liability.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Chu020 posted:

Unless you know you're going to have a year in the near future where your taxable income is going to be significantly lower and drop you into a lower tax bracket, then there's no point in waiting, particularly if you want to get started on backdoor Roth IRA contributions. This is subject to the limitations that Hoodwinker mentioned, would not do enough to push you into the next income tax bracket and make sure you have enough cash on hand to cover the tax liability.
Yeah, and I mean, tax rates are already at historical lows. If we're going to talk about "timing," then "tax timing" is absolutely a thing you should be considering here. Even if you might have lower income in a later year, there's a distinct possibility you won't have lower taxes in that year.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

SlapActionJackson posted:

Quicken 2008 was perfect, it's a shame intuit cripples it by disabling transaction downloads after 3 years.

Intuit sold Quicken to a private equity firm a few years ago. Which is when they turned it into SaaS essentially.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I soured on Quicken twelve or so years ago. My online banking account kept getting locked on a regular basis because Intuit's servers were making regular requests using old credentials, even though I had completely removed that account from Quicken months before. If I didn't manually log into my account though a browser every few days, it would trigger too many incorrect logins in a row and lock me out.

No one was able to help me, so I had to create a new login for my bank, which in turn disabled the hosed account. I still use that weird variation of my username to this day.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Wait so is QuickBooks no longer associated with Intuit’s opposition to simplified taxes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I have three nephews who are all under seven years old. When I turned 25(or around there, can't remember exactly) my mother gave me a bunch of savings bonds she, my grandmother, etc all bought me when I was little and I cashed them in. They all appreciated a good amount in value and I thought it was a really cool thing, and I'd like to do something like that for my nephews - buy them some each year for their birthday's so when they get older they have a nice pile of cash.

However, I looked into it and apparently this isn't a smart thing to do anymore because the interest rates are so low on them. Is there anything else I can do like this? I'd like to be able to put some money somewhere for them as gifts that will gain interest as they get older, then they can cash in after x amount of years.