Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Not to sidetrack anyone but am I the only the enjoying the Miles Morales series?

Hell no, it's been fun as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
Anyone know how to change credit card details for a marvel unlimited subscription? The account page seems to just be a blank white screen.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Man, that book's been kind of a neverending trainwreck hasn't it?
-The initial teaser got people hyped up for a Raimi Spider-Man 4 adaption
-Then they lied by omission to make people think it was happening in 616, including in solicitations, which naturally upset some people, especially when it was pointed out a lot of the same story beats have already been done.
-Then they fridged Mary Jane on literally the first page after the preview in issue #1, which caused a whole other backlash.
-And now it's delayed like crazy.

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Not to sidetrack anyone but am I the only the enjoying the Miles Morales series?
No, it's both cool and good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

No, it's both cool and good.

Are they still pushing Miles and Gwen?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Dawgstar posted:

Are they still pushing Miles and Gwen?

Not really. They both still have books of course, but they are both almost back where they were as far as sales. Bumps from movies rarely last more than a month or so, and then everyone goes back to reading what they were reading before. Moving Gwens book to the 616 definitely cut away part of what made it a cool different read.

I wonder why Marvel thinks we need another Gwen Stacy mini series coming up. The MJ one is a delightful read, but locally it doesn't get much traction. Marvel gonna Marvel though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Man, that book's been kind of a neverending trainwreck hasn't it?
-The initial teaser got people hyped up for a Raimi Spider-Man 4 adaption
-Then they lied by omission to make people think it was happening in 616, including in solicitations, which naturally upset some people, especially when it was pointed out a lot of the same story beats have already been done.
-Then they fridged Mary Jane on literally the first page after the preview in issue #1, which caused a whole other backlash.
-And now it's delayed like crazy.

It's almost like Abrams sucks, if he's even involved, but more likely that his kid sucks and only got the job because of nepotism and this is a great example of why nepotism sucks.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It is almost certainly his kid doing all of it while JJ Abrams is on the cover to help it sell.

The plot has been about Abrams' self insert trying to live up to his famous father while dating his ideal manic pixie dream girl.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just read valkyrie, and the final page got me thinking...have we seen the living tribunal since its death in pre-secret wars new avengers? i cant remember

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Al Ewings Ultimates set up the post Secret Wars cosmology, but I don’t remember about the Tribunal.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Turns out that Amazing Mary Jane an ongoing! (or at least a Maxiseries).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
well as long as it stays better than her gwenpool...

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

site posted:

okay so is it civil war 3 or secret empire 2 or both

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1205256354304278528

I can't figure it out. Empyre. The Pyre implies fire and ruin, but what big cosmic villains use fire? Dorammaru? He wouldn't have anything to do with an Empire. We aren't getting phoniex. My best guess is the Pyre is just there for ruin. So, its a ruined Empyre? Is it a sequel of Secret Empire dealing with the fallout? Unlikely, the original was too controversial. Empire makes me think of Kingpin because of Empire the TV show. I doubt it.

I got no idea what its about. This is my guess, though:
  • It will be more like Civil War 2 than recent Marvel Events in that it will not branch out of a pre-existing storyline from an ongoing
  • The main character of Empyre will either be Spider-Man because he's the new face of the MCU or Black Widow because her movie is coming out next
  • It will involve a powerful organization operating in the shadows for years coming to light
  • There will 100s of tie-ins
  • The villains will win at some point causing a temporary change to status quo
  • Any effects will be forgotten within 1 year
  • One hero's reputation will be ruined due to their involvement in the story

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Hydra Cap takes over all of America, again! But this time we get the long awaited introduction of Tiger Wylde... Who later is involved with this summers huge Doctor Doom event!

Honestly, I generally like the Marvel events but at this point why would anyone bother buying a tie in.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

well as long as it stays better than her gwenpool...
I think that her Gwenppol's perhaps underrated. While I completely understand her portrayal in the first few issues has been offputting for a lot of people, between what happened last issue with a bunch of different versions of Gwen from her various appearances (including Unbelievable Gwenpool being very upset at her future self) and the preview for issue #5, I think it's quite clear that she's been going somewhere with Gwen's behaviour.

Covok posted:

I can't figure it out. Empyre. The Pyre implies fire and ruin, but what big cosmic villains use fire? Dorammaru? He wouldn't have anything to do with an Empire. We aren't getting phoniex. My best guess is the Pyre is just there for ruin. So, its a ruined Empyre? Is it a sequel of Secret Empire dealing with the fallout? Unlikely, the original was too controversial. Empire makes me think of Kingpin because of Empire the TV show. I doubt it.

I got no idea what its about. This is my guess, though:
  • It will be more like Civil War 2 than recent Marvel Events in that it will not branch out of a pre-existing storyline from an ongoing
  • The main character of Empyre will either be Spider-Man because he's the new face of the MCU or Black Widow because her movie is coming out next
  • It will involve a powerful organization operating in the shadows for years coming to light
  • There will 100s of tie-ins
  • The villains will win at some point causing a temporary change to status quo
  • Any effects will be forgotten within 1 year
  • One hero's reputation will be ruined due to their involvement in the story

I feel like Spider-Man's got a lot of stuff going on in his book (2099 aside) that's going to preclude him from bein the main character of an event book.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hydra-cap-red-skull vs red skull for the fate of hydra

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think that her Gwenppol's perhaps underrated. While I completely understand her portrayal in the first few issues has been offputting for a lot of people, between what happened last issue with a bunch of different versions of Gwen from her various appearances (including Unbelievable Gwenpool being very upset at her future self) and the preview for issue #5, I think it's quite clear that she's been going somewhere with Gwen's behaviour.

yeeeeah, im sorry but im not gonna call a book with 4 lovely issues good because it has a 6 panel cameo of hastings version of gwenpool in issue 4 calling out strikes back for being lovely. if leah knew the whole thing sucked she couldve just like...wrote it differently to begin with. and her pointing out that her own book sucks actually makes it look even worse

site fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 15, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Hydra Cap takes over all of America, again! But this time we get the long awaited introduction of Tiger Wylde... Who later is involved with this summers huge Doctor Doom event!

Honestly, I generally like the Marvel events but at this point why would anyone bother buying a tie in.

Tie-ins are often the best part.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I like the idea for a meta character trying to maintain relevance, but doing it in an industry where the story is laid out slowy over a period of weeks and with an audience that
s fairly fickle and may not follow you all the way to the tone shift seems...risky?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Empyre thing is supposedly spilling out the Incoming thing we've had teasers for. Some people have theorized Incoming is tied to the Kree/Skrull story with Teddy Altman being at the center of it. One of the teasers has a figure that looks like him that says "One will unite them" and that's been said to be his destiny being that he's of both the Kree and Skrull Empires.

https://www.newsarama.com/46695-hulkling-future-of-the-marvel-universe-teaser-excelsior.html

X-O fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 15, 2019

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Tie-ins are often the best part.

This is actually often true, but most people can't deal with the spike in their budget if they try and read them all. War of the Realms and Secret Wars both had a lot of fun tie ins that were great reads. I much prefer a tie in miniseries than issues in an existing book (for ease of skiping).

If you can't tell me the entire story in one miniseries and I need to read some particular tie in to understand what is going on? You hosed up. Tie in can be great, but they need to never be necessary by design.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Covok posted:

Maybe the pyre means the heroes will go to war with each other over their spectacularly hot takes. :v:

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This is actually often true, but most people can't deal with the spike in their budget if they try and read them all. War of the Realms and Secret Wars both had a lot of fun tie ins that were great reads. I much prefer a tie in miniseries than issues in an existing book (for ease of skiping).

If you can't tell me the entire story in one miniseries and I need to read some particular tie in to understand what is going on? You hosed up. Tie in can be great, but they need to never be necessary by design.

The worst part of tie-ins is that they derail the story of other series. Oh, you're enjoying this 12-issue series and want to see where the author is going with it? Well too bad, you'll get your tie-ins and you'll love it, buster!

site posted:

yeeeeah, im sorry but im not gonna call a book with 4 lovely issues good because it has a 6 panel cameo of hastings version of gwenpool in issue 4 calling out strikes back for being lovely. if leah knew the whole thing sucked she couldve just like...wrote it differently to begin with. and her pointing out that her own book sucks actually makes it look even worse

I agree with this. It kind of feels like other writers trying to handle Gwenpool read Hastings' run and got the entirely wrong idea that she's all about wacky 4th wall jokes.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

X-O posted:

The Empyre thing is supposedly spilling out the Incoming thing we've had teasers for. Some people have theorized Incoming is tied to the Kree/Skrull story with Teddy Altman being at the center of it. One of the teasers has a figure that looks like him that says "One will unite them" and that's been said to be his destiny being that he's of both the Kree and Skrull Empires.

https://www.newsarama.com/46695-hulkling-future-of-the-marvel-universe-teaser-excelsior.html

I was unaware. However, this also confirms I will never read this as I have no interest in cosmic Marvel.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Eh I'm down for an epic event centered around an A+ quality gay character.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

Eh I'm down for an epic event centered around an A+ quality gay character.

I mean, Civil War ruined Iron Man and Civil War 2 ruined Captain Marvel, but we still love them. Why can't Hulking become a fascist and us still love him?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1207062619884072960

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well that return to the classic costume lasted all of five minutes. I guess this means Strikeforce is over, since the writer specifically reverted Jess back to her old costume out of her personal preference.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like the costume, but it seems like something that Peter would make since it kind of takes after his style. Don't know if that's right for Jess.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Meh. Nothing beats the motor-jacket look.

I didn't know she was getting a new ongoing, though. Who's the writer?

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 17, 2019

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well that return to the classic costume lasted all of five minutes. I guess this means Strikeforce is over, since the writer specifically reverted Jess back to her old costume out of her personal preference.

Good. Strikeforce was such a disappointment.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BrianWilly posted:

Karla Pacheco. Also agreed. Javier Rodriguez' costume was close to perfection.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah, bring back the jacket you cowards!!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
someone wanted their cake while eating it too, incorporating color aspects of the redesign into the old costume. but uhh they shoulda just gone back to the redesign imo

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

site posted:

someone wanted their cake while eating it too, incorporating color aspects of the redesign into the old costume. but uhh they shoulda just gone back to the redesign imo

It looks better to me in the design rather than the highly rendered cover, which might translate to it looking better in issues depending on the artist(s), but I can't say that I disagree that they should have just gone back to the Anka design.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
noticing that a lot of books ended today

aarons thor
invaders
gwenpool
agents of atlas
future foundation
guardians

plus minis like the history of the marvel u and spidey velocity

must be garbage day

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

noticing that a lot of books ended today

aarons thor
invaders
gwenpool
agents of atlas
future foundation
guardians

plus minis like the history of the marvel u and spidey velocity

must be garbage day

Heh.

It's the last normal "new comics day" of the year. Also being reported as the biggest diamond invoice week in ages.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Gwenpool strikes back was a weird series with an odd ending, but I actually did kinda like it.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Yeah, I feel like it really turned a corner the last two issues and became pretty good. I really hated the first issue, but this last one I felt was pretty heartfelt and genuine and I liked it. Gwen retconning her own origin to stay relevant seemed pretty clever.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God drat nothing is going to come close to Aaron’s Thor for a long drat while.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Heh.

It's the last normal "new comics day" of the year. Also being reported as the biggest diamond invoice week in ages.

Can confirm. My invoice was painful.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My old boss said the last time it was this big was when they early shipped that issue of Blackest Night so it would be on stands for the NCD after Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The constant hunger for the shot you get for a first issue is a little frustrating. The Agents' story is continuing in Atlantis Attacks. Ewing's Guardians starts in January.