Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

Poil posted:

For some reason the stick the teacher always holds up to his hair looks like a pair of scissors to me so I keep thinking he's a barber.

Scene: A quaint barbershop in downtown Randgriz. A man in a suit walks into the building.

: "Ah, welcome back. I didn't expect to see you so soon."

: "What can I say? You're the best in town."

: "If you say so. Speaking of that, what'll you have?"

: "I don't know... perhaps Shonen Jump style? I have a date in a few hours and I need to look my best."

: "A distinguished choice. It seems as if I have my work cut out for me. Let's get started immediately."

*Some time later...*

: "....Hm. What do you think?"

: "Perfect! Man, I owe you one for this. Thanks, teach!"

: "You're quite welcome. Looks like another happy customer to me."

------

: "...Really, Cosette? Fanfiction?"

: "S-sorry..."

: "Perhaps you'd best go and get your actual homework. Promptly."

: "Y-yes, sir!"

Look at what you made me do- I'm a VC2 fanfiction writer now. Just great, that won't look good in the whiplash lawsuits.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

This is a very rough around the edges game.

In nearly every way possible. It's still one of the better games for the PSP I've played, and I suppose that's saying something. If you ignore the story, the gameplay is entertaining enough.

There's just a lot they could have done different and it would've been a much better game.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

If Anisette and Avan get married I don't think those kids are gonna be smart enough to survive to adulthood.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

If Anisette and Avan get married I don't think those kids are gonna be smart enough to survive to adulthood.

They'd be made entirely out of shonen heroism and surrounded by an ablative layer of befriended enemies. They'll do just fine.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Flying Twybil posted:

Look at what you made me do- I'm VC2 fanfiction writer now. Just great, that won't look good in the whiplash lawsuits.
:allears:

And you just triggered a horrible part of my imagination. But I can suppress it. Nobody wants to read it.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Ratoslov posted:

They'd be made entirely out of shonen heroism and surrounded by an ablative layer of befriended enemies. They'll do just fine.

This is the most likely outcome. The other is that by a miracle, their kids come out geniuses.

Well, that or they're too busy arguing which sibling is the best to ever have kids.

Poil posted:

:allears:

And you just triggered a horrible part of my imagination. But I can suppress it. Nobody wants to read it.

*Dons monocle*
How very unfortunate this occasion was brought about. Trying to keep this thread fanfiction free is the only part I have left of any sort of internet credentials. That is, I barely have any left, but high society defines I maintain what I have left.

*Sips from fine porcelain teacup*

If it's fanfiction, I'd probably read it. At this rate, I'm fine with half this thread becoming parody and fanfiction theories. This'll be running for a few months as is, so we've gotta spice it up somehow.
I've already taken the fall, but it's all good as long as the lawyers don't find out.

Edit:
My earlier statement and this fanfiction talk got to me. Okay, I asked myself "How bad could it be? It's just VC2, the game is weird enough as is, right? Is anyone out there trying to repair the story?"

Curiosity got the better of me, and I should've known I was wrong from the start.

:ohno:
It's always worse than you could imagine. This was the second search result.

I think I need to clear my head now. Excuse me while I go to play something non-anime.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 19, 2019

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

FWIW VC3 is much better in the plot department.

Low bar to clear, but.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Well if we're opening the door to bad fanfic...

: "Let me introduce the newest member of class G "

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

HardDiskD posted:

FWIW VC3 is much better in the plot department.

Low bar to clear, but.

VC2 really is a low bar to clear in the plot department. It's not the lowest though, it manages to surpass FE: Fates and White Knight Chronicles. Though, given if you've managed to beat out WKC in being completely awful, that's an achievement in its own respect.

It doesn't help that VC2 gives main plot threads sporadically, resulting in you spend half your time reading through character events and doing missions before being reminded that this game is trying to be both serious and silly at the same time.

I may get around to VC3 some day, but that'll be a long time from now, if ever.

FoolyCharged posted:

Well if we're opening the door to bad fanfic...

: "Let me introduce the newest member of class G "

Truly, I have invited an utter terror upon myself.

Update on Updates
As I've briefly mentioned before, I've finally got a bit of something resembling work in my life now. It's work I hate doing, but it is work and it's for my family, so I'm doing it. It's only going to be around for a short while, 2-3 more weeks at most, but I'll have to see what happens when that time is over. Only more inconveniently, it's happened during Christmas season, exactly when I intended to build a large update reserve so I could perhaps run a second, shorter LP.

As result, this update schedule of ~3 days per update is a bit faster than I can handle at the present. That being said, the next update will be delayed for at least a little while. Chances are I might have to go on a hiatus until my situation clears up, but I've got something planned if I have to.

The LP isn't going to stop, don't worry about that. This is just an unexpected slowdown that managed to happen at the worst time possible for the LP. I have only the best luck.

We'll see where I'm at in a day or two on this.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update: Update On the Previous Update Of An Update On Why There Hasn't Been An Update Recently:

Alternate Title: Hiatus time!

It's been two days and I'm back. It definitely looks like I'll need to take a hiatus because life will not stop stacking even more things on me it seems. I'll officially be taking time off from the LP until the 10th of January to handle this stuff. I may be back earlier depending on when some of it settles, but the 10th is my hard cap.

Yeah, that means no more updates for approximately 3 weeks. If this news is soul-crushing because you won't have my terrible commentary on wacky high school hijinks with guns and anime, then hey, do I have a deal for you. I now announce...

:siren:Twybil's VC2 Goon Fanfiction Contest!:siren:

It's what you always wanted in your life!
(I don't mean to presume, but it probably isn't.)

I'm up for this already, what do I have to do?
All you have to do is write me some VC2 fanfiction. Easy right? Well, there are a few rules to this:

- It can be done in paragraph form, done like an update (see the above post of mine), as a bunch of character skits, in a drama format, or even some comic strips/ fanart pieces if you're artistically inclined.

- Make it of reasonable length or quantity of content. The short skit I posted above is the absolute minimum, so I'd suggest making it a great deal longer than that if you want to win.

- Keep it SFW for the sanity of everyone here. The forum rule of "Don't be a Creep" still applies. I don't care if you're shipping people, just don't get explicit with it.

- Make sure it's marginally readable. If it's in all lowercase or filled with typos, that's fine by me as long as a normal person could still mostly read it.

- Put some effort into it in general, even if you're going for "intentionally bad".

- I know a good number of you have seen/played this before, so if you write anything with spoilers, please do note at the beginning that your fanfic has them.

- Above all else, have fun with it! No pressure or judgement here, just parodying this game and LP for what it's worth!*

...That's about it, really. Feel free to rip screenshots or portraits from anywhere in the LP- you should be able to find most of what you need from there.

*Note: Yes, you can put me in the fanfic/ base the fanfic on the LP if you want. I can take a joke, but don't go off the deep end with it.

What kinds of fanfiction can we write?
Anything. I'm expecting most of it will fall under "cringe-inducing" which is all good, but I'm also more than happy with plain comedy fiction or attempts to fix this game's story.

I'm the only judge here, but I'll do my best to be unbiased. That's why there's a second-place prize.

What's the prizes?
The rewards will be...

*Checks wallet*

Ahem, the first place reward will be Forums Upgrades (worth a total 10 USD or less), courtesy of me.

The second place reward is Forums Upgrades (worth a total of 5 USD or less), courtesy of me.

...What? I'm strapped for cash right now, give me a break. 15 bucks is all I can spare for some fun. If you don't want either of the above rewards, we can work something out I guess, like influencing the LP, what I LP, or whatnot. I'm a reasonable person, I'll cut you a deal.

When's the deadline? I need to know when to finish my hit drama "Avan Everhart sets sail with Captain Crunch"!

The deadline is when I get back, likely enough the 10th of January.

I'll still be around to answer any questions or concerns about this or the game, but I just presently don't have the time to write the updates. It took me these two days to get this written, and its 1:00 AM by the time I got finished and posted right here - that's how cramped my schedule is right now.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the thread can come up with!

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 23, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jarde sighed as he drew his katana,

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

: "Sensei I completely failed the test. Again."

: "I've had enough! It's time for you to be punished!"

: "Yes! Punish me sensei!"

: "Spank! Spank! Spank! You've been a bad boy!"

: "Phew!"

: "Now hurry, p-please fill me up with your meat staff."

_________

: "Cosette."

: "Eh heh heh heh heeee."

: "COSETTE!"

: "Woah! Yes? What?"

: "You're drooling on your exam."

: "Sorry, sensei."

: "Seriously. Some of you students these days. Gallian military history is very important."

: "Damnit these crayons are smudging all over!"

(I apologize for nothing everything)

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 23, 2019

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Hwurmp posted:

Jarde sighed as he drew his katana,

Oh no, what have I started This is literary genius right here.

Edit, because I had to:
: "...So, it's come to this, then. Hard to believe we were ever friends, Jarde."

Just then, the clouds parted and moonlight shined upon Avan's two blades. He gave a look of grim determination.

: "And you, Leon! I thought we were brothers."

: "Everything changes... You wouldn't understand."

Indeed, it was Leon, though one would have trouble recognizing him in full black shinobi gear.

: "Maybe I don't...but what I do know is this feeling of vengeance-"

: "Nobody gets away with eating my raisin bread!"

Poil posted:

(I apologize for nothing everything)

This one's cutting it real close to the SFW rule, but the ending with Avan and crayons got enough of a laugh out of me that I'm in a good enough of a mood to let that go.

...I have a sinking feeling that Cosette's probably going to be showing up in a lot of these now.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 24, 2019

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This one's cutting it real close to the SFW rule, but the ending with Avan and crayons got enough of a laugh out of me that I'm in a good enough of a mood to let that go.

...I have a sinking feeling that Cosette's probably going to be showing up in a lot of these now.
Sorry. I was kinda worried about that and went back and forth on whether to post it or not for longer than I worked on it. :ohdear: But then I figured I could just remove it if neseccary.

: "Crayons taste awful."

: "But this strawberry flavored one will definitely be delicious!"

: "Crunch! Crunch! Crunch!"

: "How did we lose the war again?"

Poil fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 24, 2019

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Unless there are at least three more contributions before the deadline I would like to withdraw mine.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Poil posted:

Unless there are at least three more contributions before the deadline I would like to withdraw mine.

That's fine. No fun in winning a contest if there wasn't any contest to begin with. The idea hasn't seemed to be met with much reception, but we'll see what happens.

Truth be told, I was less than half-awake when I came up with this anyways. I basically start getting drunk off exhaustion alone if I stay up too late for whatever reason. In a way, that makes it a drunk post from someone who doesn't even drink. I let myself go through with it anyhow, almost curious as to what would happen.

The hiatus is still active (the contest as well), but I guess it would be nice to note that I've had some short breaks where I've gotten two updates ready for when this returns. January 10th is still most likely the date when it will end, but we'll see if this work/not work of mine finishes before then.

Yes, I could just post the updates now, but I'd rather have an update buffer for just a little while. You'll see why.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 30, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I dunno if anyone will read my lovely 40k crossover but I'll post it anyway! Just out of town.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's a cute idea, but I'm not the creative writing type.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Hey, folks, the hiatus will be over by the 8th. I've got the next updates until the end of the month already done, so I can release those without it holding up things on my side. It's given me some time to finish the short job I got hired for, as well as prepare some other stuff, so we'll see where we're going.

If anyone has a submission for the contest, it'd be preferable to get it in soon. The contest have been the sleep-deprived equivalent of a drunk post, but I'll stand by it.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 18 - Story: Special Especially Long Post-Hiatus Update Special
Alternate Title: Avan Sucks, This Game Sucks

Time for another update about assorted high school drama and guns. Last time I self-inflicted the horrors of fanfiction upon myself. It was an interesting time and I regret nothing everything.

This time we'll hopefully not do that, but it still gets worse somehow.

This update's a bit story packed, but that's all fine with you folks, right?

TITLES EARNED:
Supernatural
Bandits
Warlords
Title Lovers

...Two of those don't belong.

Eh, anyways. Let's get to it then.

---

Music: Everyday Life of the Class

: Mm? Hey, you're Randy, right? What brings you here?
: What do you mean? I'm on the student union board.

: VP?

:sparkles: : What, are you new here? Randy Hamsun is student union vice president.

Yep, classic Avan, our hero- protagonist- character.

:sparkles: : The president stopped coming about two months ago.
:sparkles: : He said he'd sooner eat glass than come back. Really, I'm disappointed.

: Oh, I'm sure he has his reasons. Try not to judge him too harshly for it.

Yeah, it kinda just jumps to this sentence. It feels a bit out of place, but I guess it isn't.

:sparkles: : Then student council will finally be back to normal. Plus we all love Randy!

: Ha ha! I'll try my best not to let you guys down.
: Well, I should get back to the classroom, guys. See you around!
: Sounds good, Avan, and thanks again for bringing those papers by.

: ...Mm? Aw, dang it. I was supposed to turn in this form, too.
: Sorry, Randy! There's one more paper I--
: Huh? Somebody's sitting in the president's chair, but they said...

Music: Theme of the Rebels
Using this here on out every time the unknown "dark theme" starts playing.

:stare:

*The door is heard opening.*

: R-Randy? What were you talking about just now?
: What?!

: Thank you again for your help, Avan. I'll see you tomorrow in class.

: No, I must have just imagined the whole thing. That has to be it.

...So yeah, that's Randy's thing. He's basically a cartoon villain.

Change of pace/tone? Yeah, I can do that.

~* Back Alley - Coleen's First Event *~

So this is a lot different than Sofia's first event already.

Damnit Avan, are you spying on people again?

Cripes, now you've got Cosette doing it too.

: It's not like that.
: (...Psst, Cosette. Isn't it, like really bad for us to be here right now?)
: (Shh, shut up! If we get up and walk out now, we'll make a scene!)

:geno: : I feel better that I told you how I feel though. Thanks for listening.

: Phew, they're finally done!
: (Ack! Will you keep your voice down?!)

: Sorry, Coleen. I swear we werent' trying to eavesdrop!
: No, it's fine. It's my own fault for not realizing we weren't alone.

You're surprisingly chill about this.

: Second what?
: Boy asking her out, dummy! Gosh, you sure are slow sometimes.
: I wonder why they always feel the need to do this.
: What? Isn't it because they want you to know how they feel about you?

: I wish I knew. I'm not good at this stuff.
: Oh yeah? So there's nobody you're sweet on?
: Not really, no. So when these boys ask me out, I don't know how to respond.
: I guess that makes sense. It'd be silly to force something you don't feel.

*She walks off.*

: I'm kind of surprised to hear Coleen's so unsure in the love department.
: I'm right there with her. I don't get it at all.

: ...Why do I feel like I just got insulted?

It's because you did. This was the first bit of actual perception you've showed in forever.

Also: :golfclap:

--

I can't say I can relate very much to that at all- I've never had anything even remotely close to something in the "love department". Though, if you met me in person, you'd probably see why.

Egad, what's this? More Coleen? Did shooting a few tanks count for this much?

...Well, no. What happened is that her event was supposed to show up in a much earlier update, but I somehow forgot. This means you get a double dose of high-school romantic issues this update!

Wow, aren't you glad you waited 3 weeks for this?

*Dodges various rotten vegetables and unfinished fanfiction scripts, retreating behind the screenshots*

--

*Obvious lead into exposition to attempt to lessen awkwardness*

: Pretty romantic, huh? All the girls are talking about it.

I mean if Harvest Moon and its spinoffs taught me anything, people will like you back for most gifts.

This sounds more like a middle school thing, honestly.

: You girls sure eat stuff like that up, don't you?

*Casual prejudice*

: I guess I'll just go off and give you ladies a bit of privacy.

: Whoooa! Really?!

: I feel this need to talk with him more. To get closer to him...
: But when I'm with him, I can't form a sentence. Do you think it's love?

Sounds like typical anime love to me, but then again, what do I know?

*Screenshot intentionally captured mid-blink on Avan*

: As it stands, I can't even sleep at night. I have to do something.
: Hmm, you'd probably know best about what's right for you.
: But generally, I'd say the next step would be to tell him how you feel.

Of course you haven't. This is always how it goes.

: Hmmm, what do you think?
: Me?! I've never even thought about this kind of stuff before.
: But basically, what, you want to get thsi gross feeling off your chest?
: Well, then I guess I agree that the fastest way is just to tell him.

: Well, it didn't kill all the guys who told you how THEY felt.
: Yeah, but they were-- That's different! ...Wait, no, it's not.
: Right? If they can do it, so can you, Coleen.
: Um...

For some reason, I really want to make a "Quest Accepted" joke, but I can't come up with one.

: It may just be an urban legend, but it could give you some confidence.
: You finally found a guy who you think is special. It's worth the effort, no?
: And I really do think you should tell him. Don't you?

I make fun of it and find it kind to be terribly generic now, but I'll own up to it by saying that there was a time I used to read stuff like this all the time. I was a lot younger and less prone to being annoyed by waffling back and forth.

Did You Know?: Eagle-eyed readers, (or very bored ones,) would have noticed that we're 42 screenshots in (excluding the blank screen). Amazing right?

...We've still got about 3 more events to see before we get to see the actual combat section. Yeah.

Get comfortable folks.

~* Studio - Daily Event *~

Oh, hey, a Lotte based event. This'll be fun.

: For starters, I hit the campus for some cadet impressions!
: Let's hear what the buzz on campus was! Okay, uh...

:unsmith:

: I heard that from a lot of you dudes. Here are a few more reactions:

: Hey, wow. How'd you know? I'm impressed, man!

Okay, that one was good if you ask me. Lotte's one of the few characters I can say I genuinely like the writing for, even if she's made entirely for the wacky side of the story and hinges on the seven mysteries thing.

I don't even say "dude" in normal life. I use it just in this LP because of how often she says it.

--

Music: Spring in Lanseal

Bam, level ups.

...Nope, no combat update just yet though, gotta breeze through the last mission again. Here's what happened that was interesting:

No, but really, at least a few things happened worth noting.

Chloe's main negative potential causes her lose her attack for the action. It's pretty bad, but isn't as bad as Stage Fright or Feeble Attack.

Mischlitt hit some dudes.

Coleen shot a lot of dudes with her lance.

...That was about it. I found a gun but I've forgotten to check what it is since. Probably sucks anyways, so whatever.

Hey, look its a new day!

Uh, that's a thing too.

Time for more events.

--

Me, most of the time.

Captain Oblivious here swapped his hat out to be Captain Obvious in this scene, then forgets what hat he's wearing. It changes little as result.

: If I didn't, I wouldn't be here! The prof asked me to drop some stuff off.
: What's your excuse for being hin here all the time but not painting anything?
: Your canvas is still as blank the last time I laid eyes on it.

Yeah, saw this coming from a mile away.

: Is it that you're having trouble thinking about what you want to paint?
: I'm not... Look, it has nothing to do with you!
: So that's a yes, then. All right! Let's find you a new subject then!

: If that doesn't inspire you, nothing will. Now, up you go!
: Oh, of all the... No!
: Oh, come on! You'll love it, I promise. Now, here we go!

Cripes, this event is nightmarishly relatable for me. Oh and *complaints about Avan excised*.

*MANY comments regarding Avan were excluded at behest of the author.*

: If you look at Zeri, and I mean real hard, like, squinting, he's handsome.
No, there's that many commas in that. I didn't change a thing.

: And he never changes his expression from grumpy. He'd be a perfect model!

: ...Weeell, I suppose I could be persuaded, if you really insisted.
: He's nothing like what I'd want to paint. Out of the question.
: Zeri's no good, huh? Yeah, I don't blame you. All right, next idea...

: If you painted a stew series, you'd have folks drooling, I guarantee it!
: ...I'm going home.

: Never did I dream there were people with tastes as out of whack as yours!
: So... you're saying I'm one of a kind? Is that a good thing?
: Let me think. NO. But... I suppose this was at least a distraction.

...Ugh, that was bad. If I remembered how bad Sofia's were, how the hell did I forget about this one? I think I if had any reservations towards not hating Avan, they might just be gone now.

This event was just that awful in my eyes.

Blargh. Can we have a palate cleanser, game? I know you're really bad at holding a tone, you can mix this up some can't you?

~* Hospital - Daily Event *~

: Hey, c'mon, guys. Don't take it so hard.
Don't tell me this is what I think it's going to be. I've had enough for one day, game.

No, don't do this to me game. I just got back from a hiatus.

: !!!
: E-excuse me! Why are you in here, Avan?!
: What do you mean? The girls are done, so I figured we'd be next.

why

: Eeaaaaaagh! I don't want to hear that from YOU, you animal!

*She runs off*

: Was it? Dang, I'm so bad with this stuff.
: I never knew she was so sensitive about her height.

:cripes:

: I'll have to apologize to her later.
: Um... We weren't, er... We weren't really talking about our heights.

why is this a thing

--

...Sometimes I have to remind myself I've played and seen much worse than this. Avan's slow decline to being completely intolerable has sped up drastically, however.

Well, let's hope the combat is better.

Update 18 - Combat: Special Especially Long Post-Hiatus Update Post Special

Music - Briefing

That's the wrong class, Coleen. Super Vs. Armor is useless for mortarers. I mean, you're no match for the tank's damage output, but you could be the best lancer.

(I mean, beating Noel is going to be difficult.)

Could you two goofs just trade already?

...Oh, right, combat. Let's do that.

So if you just sat through all that anime hinjinks and you want some good tactical combat, I apologize because this one won't be that interesting either.

...There's also more hide and seek, I'm sure. Yay for me.

why, game, why

I deploy a lot of people. This mission isn't hard and the rewards are pretty bad as well, given most crafted weapons suck.

The APC really does seem like it has some interesting tactics, but I'd like to re-iterate why I don't use it.

: "I-I...I j-just..."

damnit

Okay, so there was my point. They can't even take a frontal lance shot if necessary.

Also, since I'm pretty sure I haven't covered this outside of the character bios, but Coleen's Feeble Attack causes her to not shoot at an enemy when you hit the fire button. It's basically Susie's Pacifist from VC1.

It's worse than Chloe's Moody because at least with that you know ahead of time and is almost worse to me than Magari's Stage Fright.

At least it gets replaced.

I mean, this guy was already done for, Mischlitt. You're not letting me down, unlike a certain somebody.

: "Hostile detected!"

Well, they'll just have to wait.

: "Hah, this one's a done deal!"

: "Target neutralized, continue at this pace."

You think I didn't think you'd be there, didn't you?

Anisette clears the caves some.

...And some more. This is going really smoothly.

Until this happens. I don't know why I took this shot, I think I probably hit the button by accident, but the guy surviving with 1 HP only makes it more annoying.

And that was my last action for that round. Chloe's probably screwed.

Yep. Sorry about that, Chloe.

Well, there's the enemy ace.

Mischlitt remains credit to team by dodging these shots even though she would've just shielded them anyways.

Some dude shoots Avan in the shoulder a couple of times.

This dude duels Anisette, hoping the Attack Down debuff he's inflicting will help him.

This was a bad plan. It was 3/4ths of the way to success, but it was still a bad plan.

A smarter dude tries the same on Avan, who is somewhat less lethal.

Unfortunately for him, he ate too much interception fire to withstand the counterattack and Avan kills him with the last shot.

At this point, it's my turn. Anisette grabs that base again from underneath the feet of the Ace who captured it.

These bases being linked like this leads to all sorts of shenanigans.

Alexis stands in as Mischlitt is still busy and this is the perfect time for an Armor Tech.

OH FOR-

: "That was quick."

Thank you, Alexis. I didn't really want to use more AP than necessary there, but I guess complaining about 2 CP for 2 take downs is a bit much.

*Bap*

*Biff*

*Bop*

Mischlitt hits a few dudes. Her not triggering any potentials when I really need her to makes me use up a whole lot more CP than I wanted, but it's whatever at this point.

Avan shoots a dude.

The enemy turn passes in which they do very little aside from random shuffling. As soon as it's my turn, Mischlitt ends her melee combo.

: "Underway."

Due to Chloe being down and our engineers not having grenades, I bring in an old member of Team Anime.

He locates one of our cowardly enemy units and delivers a present just as well as a member of Team Santa.

It's not enough to down the dude, but that's fine. Helmut just runs for it.

Anisette can deal with it.

Finally. Ugh, I'm getting tired of having to search for enemy units.

As long as it's an A rank, I guess.

None of this will ever be useful, by the way. It's just assorted garbage for features I'll be likely ignoring.

Sounds about right. I can't remember even which one of you actually needs these credits, but I basically have no control anyways.

Well, there ends this slog of a fight. Hopefully next time is more interesting.

Truth be told, over the hiatus I was looking over my older updates during my spare time and noticed a giant decline in both attitude and quality. The realistic fact is that this game isn't fun for me anymore, and I'm not the type to find it fun to wade on through for another few months to a year.

I know that's not what most people want to hear after a 3 week hiatus, but it's the truth. The baseline is that I'm trying to avoid this (no offense intended). As I mentioned before, I've got the updates up to the end of month at least, but I'm probably changing out to the other one I've started up that's better for my attitude.

...I remember when I started out thinking of this game rather neutrally. Oh, how the tides have turned.

Next Time: We do character stories. Will it be better? Only time can tell. Will I get less curmudgeonly? I don't know the answer that.

No, I'm probably never going to be consistent with this ending bit.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

What the hell is it with Japanese media and boob measuring?

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Truth be told, over the hiatus I was looking over my older updates during my spare time and noticed a giant decline in both attitude and quality. The realistic fact is that this game isn't fun for me anymore, and I'm not the type to find it fun to wade on through for another few months to a year.

I know that's not what most people want to hear after a 3 week hiatus, but it's the truth. The baseline is that I'm trying to avoid this (no offense intended). As I mentioned before, I've got the updates up to the end of month at least, but I'm probably changing out to the other one I've started up that's better for my attitude.

...I remember when I started out thinking of this game rather neutrally. Oh, how the tides have turned.

I hate Avan. That's my only comment on the update.

As for the ending bit: This is usually what happens when you LP a long game (or sometimes just games in general). SSLPs are particularly bad for this because you spend so much time analyzing a game, a lot more than you probably did when you actually played it for fun. You start honing in on the routines, the cracks, and all the imperfections that every game has.

If you choose to do a game that you like, then it's best if you are very familiar with it going in.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Japan just seems to have a love of statistics. They really love their blood types too.

Real answer: It's an easy excuse for fan service and titillation. :downsrim:

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 8, 2020

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I've never understood it myself, though I know the answer is this:

Psycho Knight posted:

Real answer: It's an easy excuse for fan service and titillation. :downsrim:

It's almost always this.

Psycho Knight posted:

As for the ending bit: This is usually what happens when you LP a long game (or sometimes just games in general). SSLPs are particularly bad for this because you spend so much time analyzing a game, a lot more than you probably did when you actually played it for fun. You start honing in on the routines, the cracks, and all the imperfections that every game has.

If you choose to do a game that you like, then it's best if you are very familiar with it going in.

I've come to realize this over time, thanks to this game. If anything at least this has been a learning experience for me, which I suppose is a pleasant bit of coincidence given it's a school based game.

Given that I hadn't played this game in years and remembered it as vastly better than it is, this made for an unfortunate choice for an LP in general. I think internally, length was part of what hurt with this LP. At the rate it's been going, I'd go up against doing another 130+ updates for about 16 months and given that I'm no longer enjoying the game itself, it's a dreary outlook. If it was, say, only 15 more updates, it'd be a lot more bearable considering we'd have actually gotten somewhere.

When it comes to the games I'm sure I like, I'm much more familiar with their flaws and I can overlook them a whole lot better than I can for this game. I unfortunately can't like this game in spite of its flaws.

Psycho Knight posted:

I hate Avan. That's my only comment on the update.

I think this sums up my thoughts on VC2 in general now.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Just caught up on this thread. Really good so far!

I haven't thought about this game for years and I still, the moment I saw the name, could immediately imitate Avan's laugh.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Given that I hadn't played this game in years and remembered it as vastly better than it is, this made for an unfortunate choice for an LP in general. I think internally, length was part of what hurt with this LP. At the rate it's been going, I'd go up against doing another 130+ updates for about 16 months and given that I'm no longer enjoying the game itself, it's a dreary outlook. If it was, say, only 15 more updates, it'd be a lot more bearable considering we'd have actually gotten somewhere.

When it comes to the games I'm sure I like, I'm much more familiar with their flaws and I can overlook them a whole lot better than I can for this game. I unfortunately can't like this game in spite of its flaws.

To be perfectly frank with you, if you're getting this burned out already, then I think you may want to consider restructuring the LP. My recommendation would be to cut out side missions unless you need them for filler. Other than that, you may want to cut Character Events down to only a few characters (such as the most popular ones).

I can't speak for everyone reading the LP, but I would assume that most people would rather see the LP completed, even if it's focused entirely on story content, rather than dropped partway through.

Just a suggestion. If you feel like you can power through it, then all the best to you. But if you're struggling with the motivation to work on each update, then I think you'd be better off just mainlining the story content. Like you said, this was a learning experience. It's why the Sandcastle users recommend that you not tackle a JRPG or other 40+ hour games in your first attempt.

Keep in mind that I'm a crazy person that did just that with Conception II... and then again with World of Final Fantasy Maxima... and now for a third time with Conception Plus... and was recently thinking of Arc Rise Fantasia... I don't have a life, is what I'm saying.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 8, 2020

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

If I can vote on what I would prefer, I would vote to see the main story content for now. I guess you can still show side stuff that you think are particularly interesting, but I can see most of the content in VC2 is bad anime bullshit.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TITLES EARNED:
Supernatural
Bandits
Warlords
Title Lovers

...Two of those don't belong.

Which ones though?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

Wise words, many of them.

I hear ya. Unfortunately, I'm horribly burned out on the game itself, not in doing LPs. It's detracting a whole lot from the experience having the subject matter be entirely uninteresting to me, and that's been backfiring hard given I do this to help with my depression. I'd be having a lot more fun doing a study on the formation of toe funk.

...And I'd rather not do a study on the formation of toe funk.

If I continue, I'd probably have to pare away a lot of the fluff as you said, especially given that the source material does nothing but put me in a bad mood.

I'll leave this discussion here for now to keep the thread clean. We can keep talking about it, if you want.

Psycho Knight posted:

I don't have a life, is what I'm saying.

I mean, I don't either.

HardDiskD posted:

If I can vote on what I would prefer, I would vote to see the main story content for now.

I mean, I wasn't planning on holding a vote, but I'll take it I guess. Again, we'll see where I'm at by the last update for the month.

HardDiskD posted:

but I can see most of the content in VC2 is bad anime bullshit.
You haven't seen Update 22 yet.

Hwurmp posted:

Which ones though?

It's a mystery. I'll leave it up to you to figure that out.

Hint: The only true answer is in your heart. Because it always is. Until it isn't.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 9, 2020

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I definitely feel you and can echo some of the comments here. You can probably just cut combat out for the most part (or pare it down) and quite frankly this game is in the awkward spot where it's not bad enough to be a constant echo of mock material but not great enough to be worth gushing over. It's bad, but it's not offensively bad.

Really, I wouldn't know how to go from here, because Avan is dumb, but he's predictably and repetitively dumb. I have yet to see an "oh poo poo, look at these new heights of idiocy" moment (yet), he's just kinda a dumb kid rather than a dumb world-destroying idiot.

There's a reason I do those little dialogue summaries, is what I'm saying.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

I hear ya. Unfortunately, I'm horribly burned out on the game itself, not in doing LPs. It's detracting a whole lot from the experience having the subject matter be entirely uninteresting to me, and that's been backfiring hard given I do this to help with my depression.

If I continue, I'd probably have to pare away a lot of the fluff as you said, especially given that the source material does nothing but put me in a bad mood.

Helping (or at least distracting from) depression is why I started, so I understand where you are coming from. You have to be having fun with it or getting some kind of accomplishment from it in order for that to work though.

I think you're doing a good job, personally. Where you seem to have stumbled is in your choice of game. Even the staunchest of VC2 defenders can't deny that the game is a slog compared to the others. It's like 90% side missions and grinding for various parts or class certificates. You're looking at 185 side missions compared to just 17 story missions.

Again, I'm not an expert. I've only been at this for a year and I only have 2 and a quarter LPs to my name. I'm a newbie. But you’re here telling us that you are burned out and enjoying this less as time goes on, so I feel like I have to give you some kind of out or help, otherwise you're going to try and force yourself through it and sour the LP experience for yourself.

-So if you just feel like you need time, then take it. LPs have gone on hiatus before. No big deal.

-If you don't want to drop this and just feel like getting through it one way or another, then mainline the story missions. Grind off screen when needed and just show the thread the important stuff. It may not be your vision of what the LP was going to be, but at least you can say it's done. Then you take what you learned and you'll be in a better position if you feel like trying again. You can try a shorter game, or one that's more focused and less open to distractions (like optional missions), or simply one that you know you enjoy and that an LP wouldn't ruin for you.

But for god’s sake, whatever you feel like doing, don't do this as a chore.

Like TheGreatEvilKing just said, this game isn't bad enough for constant mockery which could make up for boring gameplay. It's not a "so bad it's good" game.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 9, 2020

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I definitely feel you and can echo some of the comments here. You can probably just cut combat out for the most part (or pare it down) and quite frankly this game is in the awkward spot where it's not bad enough to be a constant echo of mock material but not great enough to be worth gushing over. It's bad, but it's not offensively bad.

Really, I wouldn't know how to go from here, because Avan is dumb, but he's predictably and repetitively dumb. I have yet to see an "oh poo poo, look at these new heights of idiocy" moment (yet), he's just kinda a dumb kid rather than a dumb world-destroying idiot.

There's a reason I do those little dialogue summaries, is what I'm saying.

It's in a unique spot of sub-mediocrity. The game doesn't get any more notable aside from two particularly dumb points, one of which I can say with certainty the thread'll get to see.

Psycho Knight posted:

More good words, well delivered-

Acknowledging that I stumbled with this choice of game is something I've already done. I mean, I kind of didn't intend to LP this game in the first place- I frankly don't remember how it happened.

I appreciate the help, I really do, though it does seem I've made a bit of a mess with this whole thing. In the breaks I had when I was doing that work over the hiatus, I did all the updates up to 22, the end of this in-game month. I started to really realize how badly this was affecting me, did a lot of thinking, and in the end I resolved to at least get these next few updates out before making a decision. That way, if I at least decided to put this on indefinite hold, I gave it a nice resting spot. For all my complaining, I put a hell of a lot of effort and time in this and I didn't want to leave it to fade away unmentioned at least.

Then at some point I opted to come straight out with it now because I guess I didn't want to keep people's hopes up by waiting until the last update in the buffer to say I was dropping it. I'd feel kind of guilty then, and I already have enough stuff weighing on me as is.

I'll admit I'm a jerk, but I try to avoid being one when possible. I've held back on saying a lot of stuff because I don't want to come off as ungrateful, because I'm not. I'm still thankful for everyone who's kept up with this LP, posters and lurkers alike. It's still been a great learning experience, though a hard lesson at that it seems.

I'll apologize for derailing my own thread with my personal drama and making this a big deal as I was really trying to avoid this, but kind of feel like I made an rear end of myself as I usually do. The last thing I want to do is sour the LP experience for myself or anyone else- I've had a lot of good times with it so far, and I'd hate to lose out on more of those.

I'm still updating to the end of the in-game month, that's not changed. I still have to think about what I'm going to do, but I'll just say to not keep your hopes up.

It's probably what I should've done in the first place, but hindsight is 20/20 and also almost always too late.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's cool dude. LPing is hard work. You don't need to say anything, most of us here know :)

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 19 - Story: Winter Whiplash

Welcome back folks, here's another update for a slow LP day.

Let's get to it anyways, today's should be at least an interesting update, even if I won't have too much to say story-wise. We're starting right into the update since my recordings have a small gap in them, so there's no homeroom today.

Sorry, Anisette, it's actually not your update today. It's actually someone else, someone on the original Team Anime.

: Well, I use a... A metallic object for a pillow.
: It's cool to the touch, and quite relaxing.
: A metal pillow? How curious.
: And you, Coleen? Any suggestions?

Yes, Marion uses her guns as pillows. I believe this event shows regardless if you've seen her story or not, but it won't make any real sense unless you see both Franca, Coleen, and Marion's stories.

: Last time it only took to about 20,000 porcavians to fall asleep.
: That... isn't much of an endorsement.

Porcavians are, uh, winged pigs. I almost entirely forgot they existed in this game world. Last update explains why Coleen struggles to get sleep.

I can't get any sleep anymore, and I hate sleeping in general. Unfortunately I'm plagued by nightmares constantly and I rarely get a night where they leave me the hell alone. It's probably why I get cranky easy.

That being said, let's move on.

~* Hallway - Mischlitt's Third Event *~

|Listen to the voice acting here|

:byodood: : Ugh, a dark hair? Now I gotta go shower to get the stink off me.

:byodood: : It's 'cause of creepy dark-hairs like you the rebels are fighting us.

: Louvere? Are you certain?!

:byodood: : What, planning to run off and save your kind? Hmph, good luck!

:byodood: : No sane person is going to risk their necks for some dark-hairs.

: Rgh...!

: P-please, I... I need to ask you all for a large favor.

Music: None

: My family and some of my dearest friends still live there...
: I want to keep them safe.
: But I... I can't do that alone.

: Please... please, I...
: Please... help me. I beg you.

Music: Theme of Class G

: You're our squad mate. Of course we'll help. Right, guys?
: Right! We'll do whatever we can, Mischlitt!
: Yeah! It's, like, all for one and one for the rest or whatever.
: W-we'll all work together!
: Tch... Sounds like a drag to me.

: Yeah, whatever.

Yep, the game's back to being grim again. Still as whiplashy as ever. Well, let's get to the mission then.

--

Update 19 - Combat: Winter Whiplash

This one is going to be a bit of a challenge to do so early, especially given we don't have the heater for the tank yet. Diebal Mountains is a snow area we're normally supposed to see in an in-game month or two and comes with the nasty effect that any downed units only have a short amount of time to be recovered before being hospitalized. Luckily, it's not snowstorm- that's much worse.

Rudolf's going to be putting in a lot of work here, so we'll get with it.

Player Turn Music: Snowfield Battle
Enemy Turn Music: Return Battle

: "I'm rolling out!"

Wasting no time, I'm going to construct this ladder behind me.

They never explain how the heck this works. Either way, I'm not concerned as this will let me get behind the enemy for this round.

There's no use in not taking this shot- Rudolf's going to have to go the slow way around anwyays. There's a pile of ice here that I can't break with my current model of tank that prevents any of my characters from going forward.

Eyeballing it between the flag's movement, I take the shot and somehow it works out.

They force deployed Zeri on this map, and although I'll use him in order to be story appropriate, that won't be right now. I send him back and bring out Coleen instead.

Going up the ladder here gets her behind their tank in a much easier position than Rudolf would have. (This is despite the fact that Rudolf could probably one shot the thing from the front.)

Just up the hill from the ice is more ice blocking a quick way to the flag. Enemies will shoot past this, which defines the main aspect of Diebal Mountains- a lack of cover.

damnit

There we go. You may note that being a model B tank- that's the model I really need for Rudolf. It's relatively broken as it reduces the CP cost of acting back to 1. This means your tank is no longer a CP hog, and it transforms your tank into a ridiculously overpowered and highly mobile unit when combined with the captured AA gatling turret we're using.

Allied Radio: "-sha! That's a relief!"

Coleen's not done just yet, even though her AP is giving out on her.

I send in Avan as backup because he's here.

:argh:
He doesn't get far.

Coleen just barely makes it to the sandbag outside the flag as I start aiming. The tank was probably a half-second from having its gatling gun trained on her.

But, from here, it's not that hard to get rid of it

Avan takes out the fencer as he moves up.

Everyone is really out of AP now, as it took me another move on Avan just to get here.

No holiday cheer for this guy.

Avan, basically at a crawl now, manages to get the flag.

Well, let's hope one of them survives.

This trooper goes for Coleen but misses most of his shots. Given the defense boost from crouching, she's not taking much anyways.

Oh. Great. Reinforcements.

...Huh. All they did was move a few troopers up into sight but not into shot range.

: "Moving out!"

I run him past a hail of bullets and then point-blank the guy next to him. He triggered Close Combat, and it really came in handy.

: "Nothing to get riled about."

Actually, he's just triggering all sorts of potentials.

I set Mischlitt to try and take out both of these troopers, but her damage is insufficient. Either she needs to start triggering more potentials, or she really needs into the fencer class.

Another CP is used to down them.

Could you trigger Genius, please? You don't even take enough damage to warrant an HP recover.

For no particular reason, I send Coleen to get the flag. When the bullets start hitting her side, that's when they start hurting.

Just a bit of teamwork action.

Hey, look, max morale. And it's only the first map out of 3.

(Yes, we have to clear out all the enemies. Don't you just love hide and seek?)

With 3 CP left for the round, I don't have much more time to push forward. I re-place Rudolf here at area 3 to hold it.

??? Radio: "Enemy attack! All units, prepare to engage!"

Sheesh, calm down. I'm just building a ladder.

Okay, maybe I am shooting your dudes.

Since the tank has that place mostly handled, I send in Avan by himself to take this zone. He's tanky enough with his godawful amount of HP that it should be fine.

Get off my sandbags.

Avan, but you're going to need to stare down this tank and survive. Good luck, we're all counting on you.

(He's probably the only unit that can, really. Also we're not really counting on him that much.)

Do your worst, Rebels.

...Huh. They must have heard me.

This is a neat picture. I didn't think the shell was even modeled, even if it's basically nothing.

Ouch.

They're now starting to move in all their fencers and reinforcements.

When they're done sending half their army to attack one man, they challenge Rudolf to a tank duel.

You will regret this, enemy AI.

I know this guy regrets trying to go down the ladder that has the tank gatling trained on it.

My turn again. First, I have to answer this drop of the dueling glove.

Don't attack Rudolf with your wimpy cannons.

Man, Lavinia's just the best sometimes.

Operative word being "sometimes". Then again, I can't fault you for not hitting that shot- it was nearly impossible.

Zeri and Avan are already on the field, and Marion's not direly needed, so I send in Franca off the reserve list.

Why not Anisette? Well, I already triggered her third event, so her mission will be next update.

There's a bit of manuevering involved, but I get her to clear this dude off the base.

mine

Aha! My plan is now in motion! Avan was but a distraction, you've been exposed, Rebels!

...Wait, that doesn't sound right.

Well, this is a risky shot. Can we make it past the sandbags?

damnit

Lancaar, why can't you fix this accuracy problem?

Goin' for it again.

: "Yeah!"

Yep, that's what I wanted to see.

The damage still isn't enough.

:negative:

I don't know why I'm repairing this- I'm just going to break it again anyways.

...Or not. Past me was more concerned about getting Avan secure defensively. This is probably going to backfire on me.

...Or not?

What precisely are you trying to do, past self?

The enemy turn starts by failing to attack Coleen, then moving a fencer in her direction. Then this guy walks straight through a sand bag in order to get to Avan.

...And then vaults across it in the opposite direction? :psyduck:

:argh:

And somehow he still makes it to Avan. I call cheating, as Fencers have 100 less AP than even normal AT's. They don't move that far.

Ow.

...Well, this isn't going to go well.

Miraculously, she survives.

Then suddenly, a tank.

Sorry about that, Mischlitt.

Franca shoots a dude, then it's my turn.

She takes down the trooper.

Then gets revenge on the tank.

Sofia comes in, and distracts the fencer that attacked Avan. She's just close enough to trigger a double attack with Avan, so he unloads his gun into this dude's side.

It manages to work, somehow.

He takes out the fencer that attacked Coleen...

And then they take out the last fencer.

This was the last guy on the map. He'd moved up last round from whatever hiding place he had.

Allied Radio: "Don't let them escape!"

Woo. That took way too long.

This is a significantly better payoff than any other mission we've had, though Marion's is still better for farming.

Still basically just a giant pile of junk.

Credits for everybody!

--

Music: Days With Classmates

This isn't voice acted. Her story is one of the few that's voiced on the third event and not the fourth.

: I had convinced myself of the impossibility of being friends with non-Darcsens.
: That led me to avoid all contact unconsciously.

: Well, good! You see? I told you we're on your side.
: I will not give up on others so easily again.

...Well, we were kind of already doing that.

: Avan, would you... I would like for you to have this.

: Tradition holds that it protects the bearer from harm and misfortune.
: We Darcsens give these to our closest friends.

: Thank you, Avan.
: Hey, no, thank you!

: They're waiting to hear the good news from you!

--
:unsmith:

Well that was nice. Avan wasn't a complete jerk this time, so that's something. It takes zero time at all for that to change, unfortunately.

Thaw...Thaw is kind of useless. As mentioned before, status effects are pretty much not worth it, but Mischlitt's Genius still makes up for this being rather meh.

Here's her entry in the yearbook.

....And that's it for this update! This was just as long as some of the older ones, which I find surprising.

Next update will be Anisette's story, the one after that will be Coleen's story, and then after that will be the final mission for this month where we finally see some plot.

See you then, I suppose.

-------------------

SSNeoman posted:

It's cool dude. LPing is hard work. You don't need to say anything, most of us here know :)

Thanks, this game has put a lot of stress on me and I really started feeling it there for a while. For some reason, being exhausted and sleepy acts makes me lose my inhibitions and I get really emotional.

Kind of embarrassing actually, but I'll live with it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That was a nice story event. See VC2? You CAN do it if you try!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Abandoning or stopping a lp may be "bad" but I don't think anyone would (or could) blame you if you can't suffer through this garbage fest. Real life well being is way more important. :ohdear:

SSNeoman posted:

That was a nice story event. See VC2? You CAN do it if you try!
Yeah. If more of the game was like this and less like... it actually is it would've been so much better.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Racism IS wrong!

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 20 - Story: (Not A) Beautiful Noise

Oh, er, looks like I'm a bit late on this one. I had my hands full today, apologies for that.

Edit: Oh, looks like one of the portraits supersized on me. Ugh, let me dig through my files and fix this. Got it.

Welcome back to more anime school madness, this time we're tackling the end of Anisette's story, effectively the most deadly girl on campus.

Using that massive pile of EXP I got from the last mission, all of our classes are up to level 10 now.

I go ahead and put Marion into Trooper Veteran, just in case I really need a promoted unit.

We're only going to be seeing 2 of these 3, as one of them is Coleen's third event. We'll see that in the next update.

--

Yep, this is definitely high school.

: Ugh, why do we even have to do this stuff anyway?

: "Hardins did nothing but eat and sleep again."
: That doesn't count as writing up the minutes!

: Hmph, whatever.

Erik providing us riveting experience as always.

What else do we have for today?

~* Classroom - Franca's First Event *~

*The school bell rings out.*

: Whoa, what's going on? Sounds like it's coming from our classroom.

Music: Theme of the Rebels

: Sometimes an apology simply doesn't cut it, Nichol!

: (It's a textbook case of big sister laying down the law on little bro.)
: (Oh, that's right. I forgot they were related.)

: Yes, ma'am...
: (Franca's always been extra tough on Nichol.)
: (I guess being siblings makes it that much harder to let things slide.)
: (I can remember times I got an earful from Leon. I'd be bummed for days...)

: I know you're only on his case because you care about him, but still...
: I can remember days when my brother'd chew me out all the time.
: It was rough, but thinking back on it, he just wanted me to be the best I could.
: He was extra harsh on purpose to try and goad me into trying harder at--

: Hey! Now that's just mean!
: Were you quite done talking? I have a class to prepare for. Good day.
: Come along, Nichol. Don't dawdle!

: I don't think Nichol's useless in combat either.
: I wonder if she just doesn't like him.

More depressing stuff,just great. I suppose it's worth noting that Franca's/Nichol's story is different than what I initially expected.

I guess it's a saving grace that we didn't get these two last time because that would've made for one grim update.

Well, prepare your lawsuit for whiplash, because the tone is going to jump entirely in the other direction.

~* Drill Grounds - Anisette's 3rd Event *~

Her sprite moves back and forth plus in to try and show a circular movement. It looks...really odd, honestly. Then again, I spend too much time staring at this game.

What even is a "vogue" anyways? I know some dance stuff, but I've never heard the term before.

...A stylized dance that evolved out of Harlem ballrooms? Huh.

: But this is no time to dwell on the sacrifice.
: Today, after school, my sister will be arriving!

I suppose that means she has clearance. She led a squad of her own during the last war for a while or something. I've never been clear on it, given it was DLC and Edy's not particularly a favorite character.

: We're going around telling folks now. You guys should come It'll be fun!

Nobody gave her permission for this, by the way. She's just doing it without asking/thinking. Arguably, she's less annoying than Avan due to her having much less screen time.

: A-and I, um... I feel like I'm coming down with a bad case of, er, black death!

: Oh, that'd be us.

: Wh-what?!

:byodood: : Honestly, it's gauche to use this historic academy as a place to play idol.

:byodood: : It's stunts like this that explain why nobody has any respect for your class.

:geno: : Anyway, if you must hold your little concert, do it someplace else.

: "Play" idol?
: Uh, Anisette?

---

Yeah, so we're going to shoot down the other class with dummy rounds because their preparations for actual military encounters is getting in the way of our high school pop idol concert.

Don't you just love this game like I do?
To clarify, that was sarcasm.

Oh, and we're restricted to just these two units. There's not even any allowance to call in more on the map, this is just it.

Compared to other ones we'll face though, this one's pretty easy.

Music: Practice Battle

Yeah, but what they're doing isn't either. They are trying to prepare for actual military encounters here, even if they're not the nicest people.

They only give me 4 CP per turn for this mission. Yeah, that's as awful as you think it is.

I mean, being troopers, they'll both be out of any sizable amount of AP after 2 movements, but 4 is still really stingy.

I move Anisette forward and take out a dude who was unfortunate enough to be standing in the open. He doesn't stand a chance.

This guy is a bit better off given he's behind a sandbag.

I don't really feel like wasting a grenade present on him, so I just have these two goofs point their guns towards the guy.

I sincerely hope we're using dummy bullets here. I mean, regardless this is assault, but I don't think mortally wounding our fellow classmates is going to be a good idea.

My turn ends with me getting Anisette to the grass for interception fire. This is a capture the flag map, so I'm really trying to push forward as fast as possible.

Oh, uh, I guess I have an extra CP left. Avan, go to the grass too.

I took a few shots at the guy on the base for fun. I find it odd that bullets in VC lose damage at a distance, thus resulting in 60+ headshots required to take this guy down from here.

It makes about as much sense as this game does.

The first action taken is this guy moving forward and just looking at Avan. He doesn't shoot.

I guess he's the first guy so far to know when to not trigger a counterattack. :shrug:

About all else the enemy does is send in reinforcements that aren't nearly as smart.

And like that, it's my turn again.

Anisette then goes on a rampage.

It ends when this guy barely manages to not go down.

She also takes a shot to the head and ends the encounter with 17 HP.

It just makes her angrier.

It's not that hard of a mission. I cut that close, but I should've just delivered a grenade. Everything's easier when grenades are involved.

Well, I'll take the EXP and DCT, I guess. Marion's is still one of the easiest to farm if I ever felt like it.

--

Music: Theme of Class G

Have I ever mentioned that the opening bits to this song has always bothered me? It doesn't help I've heard it so drat much.

|Listen to the voice acting here|

You just wantonly assaulted multiple classmates over a small patch of land in a giant training ground. But okay, whatever.

: I can see just how serious you are about becoming a star now.
: Sister Edy?!

Who addresses their family like this? Shouldn't it just be "Edy"?

: Well, I'm in an extra good mood today, dear, so I'll tell you.
: They say it was Squad 7 of the militia that won the war and saved Gallia.
: And they say it was one star-slash-heroine that held that squad together.
: I am that star... Edy Nelson!

I remember you being a pretty mediocre shocktrooper unit. Shocktroopers were mediocre as-is in VC1, so that's saying something.

: Anisette, dear, don't keep me waiting. Let's see this big concert!

Oh, they're all just incredibly violent then. That's neat.

: What? Why me?!

: Oops, sorry. Man, you've gotten good at this.
: Well of course! Now for the spin... and vogue!
: Uh... vogue!

*Applause*

: I would feel guilty if I didn't repay you in kind. Ooh, how about a song?
: Ooh, would you?! Oh please!

Music: None

: You stoooood... Always smiiiliiing... Ever quiet, ever tender...

*Massive screen shake*

Music: Are We A Spoiled Class?

: I look forward to it! Do take care, Edy!

It is worth noting that Avan's portrait is still shaking.

: Wh-what ever is the matter, Avan?
: Everything! Look, I won't tell you not to look up to her.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Avan here. Edy does NOT have the Miracle Voice.

---

So that was sure an update. Depressing stuff and random hostility! Isn't VC2 just the greatest?

...Japes aside, this wasn't a very fun update. Anisette's a great combat unit, but story-wise she's a bit awful.

Anyways, we've got Coleen coming up next, and it should be at least a partial break from this game's inability to have any consistent tone. I find this game plays the serious card way too hard and keeps flip-flopping in tone-deaf vagaries, even in the main story, as result of various hijinks.

I mean, I'm normally a person who's all for a silly and fun/ parodical story, but this particularly bothers me because part of my brain wants to take this seriously. Comic relief doesn't work when half your story is comic relief and the other half is just depressing/ grim.

Here's Anisette's updated yearbook and potentials, just in case you wanted to see 'em:

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 15, 2020

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

I think the justification for that mission would have been better if she had challenged the other class for the right to use that space instead of just crashing their drills and shooting them up unannounced.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Whammiewazzle posted:

I think the justification for that mission would have been better if she had challenged the other class for the right to use that space instead of just crashing their drills and shooting them up unannounced.

But that wouldn't be wild and wacky, now would it?

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

I suppose that means she has clearance. She led a squad of her own during the last war for a while or something. I've never been clear on it, given it was DLC and Edy's not particularly a favorite character.

She only led it in the sense that she acted like she was in command and all the other soldiers with her either don't care or are Homer. Edy didn't actually hold rank over anyone in that group. They were all Private rank.

It was called the "Edy Detachment" and the reason for their existence is because Edy is a dumbass that mistakenly followed an Imperial detachment and got her and some other soldiers separated and lost from Squad 7. Then they run across a village that's under attack and Edy marches everyone right into it because they find out that Rosie was captured or some poo poo and Edy has a one-sided "rivalry" with Rosie. It's a stupid mission and it reuses the map from Largo's character mission (very tight quarters with a lot of buildings and alleys and blind corners).

Edy was very popular in Japan because of course she was. She's a loving Tsundere with pigtails that acts kind of like an idol, so of course Japanese fans went ballistic for her. That's why she got a DLC mission centered on her as well as cameo appearances in the other VC games and also this off-brand Edy (Anisette) we're saddled with in VC2. This is all despite the fact that Edy is a lovely Shocktrooper. She has the Panicky potential, which lowers attack power when being fired at (which is an incredibly common situation for a Shocktrooper), and she also has Rosie Hater which lowers attack power whenever Rosie is nearby. In other words, she is a Shocktrooper that can't close the distance on enemies and also doesn't work well with one of the best Shocktroopers in the game. Most of her potentials are accuracy related, so she would have been great as an early-mid game Scout (she also has Phoenix, so there's a chance she will revive when her HP hits 0), but I guess that bad Class match is part of her backstory as a jealous rival that's desperately trying to one-up Rosie regardless of their gap in talent.

I hate Edy and I hate Anisette because I hate Tsunderes. Both of them are irritating characters.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

I hate Edy and I hate Anisette because I hate Tsunderes. Both of them are irritating characters.

Huh, well that explanation is about what I figured it would be. I by no means like Anisette as a character, only as a unit because the sheer number of possible damage + accuracy increases you can stack are very powerful. Character-wise, she's really just a bad person and mean-spirited by proxy to Edy. She's basically Avan with a little more intelligence but a complete lack of any "do-gooder" protagonist stuff which basically detracts from anything nice you could say about her.

If this was an edgier, more cringier game, she'd be the "secret serial killer" type character.

I never really thought about her being a tsundere, though I guess it does fit somewhat. I don't really know enough about the anime trope labels to take a stance here- that's not really my specialty.