Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zoran posted:

I thought it was incredible how Thor Ragnarok ended with Thor learning the lesson that Asgard is not the fancy space island, it's the people he's responsible for, and whom he has just shepherded onto a lifeboat so that they can rebuild on Earth...

...and then in the opening scene of Infinity War, literally minutes later in-universe, they all got killed.

Yeah exactly

Thor ragnarok and IW don’t mesh at all but it’s ok. Just accept the new movie and move on.

Also Waititi is doing Mandalorian stuff so hopefully he gets a Star Wars movie down the road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

It was 1999 and I asked my old boss if I could take the day off to stand in line for Phantom Menace. She called me a loser and said my friends were losers. I got angry and muttered to myself about how I was going to show her by having so much fun. You know how that turned out. We waited sixteen hours in the hot Riverside sun for it and when we came out we were quiet because we didn’t want to admit we wasted our time. With God as my witness, I’ll never wait in line for a movie ever again, I said, shaking one fist at the heavens and holding a half eaten carrot in the other

Fast forward to 2010, when I rented a house to throw a Lost Series Finale party. All the mysteries would be answered I thought to myself. Then the finale happened and we realized we fell for a mystery Ponzi scheme. I’ll never fall for JJ Abram’s “mystery box” BS ever again, I said

Imagine my surprise when they announced JJ Abrams would be putting his chocolate in Star Wars’ peanut butter

Lindeloff was responsible for Lost.

Imagine hating the Pod Race and Duel of the Fates right out of the gate. Wild.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

euphronius posted:

Yeah exactly

Thor ragnarok and IW don’t mesh at all but it’s ok. Just accept the new movie and move on.

What? Why? If I was a Thor and an Avengers fan I’d be pissed they did that.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Edit: wrong thread

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

euphronius posted:

Which is fine and the genre/franchise should be big enough to handle different interpretations.

It didn't need to all be in one trilogy is what I'm saying. Total imagination land, but what if they'd taken a few years to make one movie that did a proper sendoff for the original cast while setting up the seeds for a new trilogy? Capitalize on the nostalgia, you know? See the foundations of the new republic and the old gang go on one last adventure in the millennium falcon, because of course a new threat is brewing that needs them. And end it on a sad note, kill one of the characters like they did in TFA and send Luke off to hide in space out of regret. JJ would have been perfect for this movie.

Then let Rian do his new trilogy with a new cast that challenges the nature of good and evil in Star Wars, that looks at all that stuff thru a modern lense (just like the OT did at the time, and the PT did as well). You could take a lot of the same story beats that exist but give them the space they need to breath and the time to create the world they all exist in, like Luke making himself a recluse just as Ben or Yoda before him, except you earned it with the audience. The stuff with benicio was interesting, but again cramped. The relationship with the 3 main characters was a waste, Finn and Rey had great chemistry and the ST should have been about them. A nobody orphan strong with the force and a runaway Storm trooper- those are interesting twists in a universe where everyone force sensitive is a Skywalker and every Storm trooper is a faceless clone with no agency, you see flashes of it being compelling in TFA and TLJ but it should have been given more care to be a satisfying arc.

I thought Rey being born by nobodys was the bravest thing Star Wars has done in a while- undoing that is so uninteresting. Leave most of the OT baggage behind, for God's sake that well was tapped thoroughly already and bringing back palpatine is so, so predictable.

No disrespect to Carrie Fisher, but her ongoing problems were well known. Giving her so much work to do on these new movies was a mistake. I remember at the time TFA was announced everyone was in shock she was even in it. She was not doing well. She had one more movie in her and they signed her up for 3, and now it all just looks disrespectful to her anyway when they reanimate her digital corpse with scrapped takes.

They could've done anything but they tried to do it all as fast as possible and it's just a mess. It's shameful and Disney should be ashamed that this is what they made.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Totally agree the trilogy isn’t needed. It worked more with an auteur model which the current Disney/marvel paradigm def is not

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

euphronius posted:

Totally agree the trilogy isn’t needed. It worked more with an auteur model which the current Disney/marvel paradigm def is not

bbbbbbut member trilogy?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

sean10mm posted:

The obvious narrative if this doesn't make money will be that The Last Jedi poisoned the well with audiences.

So WHEN it hits that 200 millions benchmark this weekend, which is almost exactly on pace with Last Jedi, and IF drops off from bad word of mouth and fails to hit the billion mark, will that be specific enough evidence that Last Jedi was great and did no damage to the brand and JJ Abrhams being garbage and/executives running from previous success because of whiny assholes on the internet is the real,problem? Or would you need more in that instance?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Didn’t Carrie Fisher’s toxicology reveal she still had enablers around her who were providing her with a poo poo load of hardcore drugs? Fans should have been loving pissed but everyone just kind of... accepted that because she got to be in a Star Wars one more time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TFA was ANH 2, TLJ sucked in many places, and I can smell TROS from a mile away. The problem isn’t just the directors, it’s capitalism via Disney.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Sanguinia posted:

So WHEN it hits that 200 millions benchmark this weekend, which is almost exactly on pace with Last Jedi, and IF drops off from bad word of mouth and fails to hit the billion mark, will that be specific enough evidence that Last Jedi was great and did no damage to the brand and JJ Abrhams being garbage and/executives running from previous success because of whiny assholes on the internet is the real,problem? Or would you need more in that instance?

Calm down, I'm not saying it's RIGHT to blame TLJ if the new movie does poorly, I'm saying that's what I think their excuse will be. I don't need any proof of anything because I assume if it does badly it will be because... the movie sucked.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ruddiger posted:

Didn’t Carrie Fisher’s toxicology reveal she still had enablers around her who were providing her with a poo poo load of hardcore drugs? Fans should have been loving pissed but everyone just kind of... accepted that because she got to be in a Star Wars one more time.

If by "enablers" you mean "Disney handlers with no ethics whose only job was to get Fisher thin and fired up for the role," I'm pretty sure everyone kind of figured that one out already.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ruddiger posted:

I think part of it was Disney wanted not a lot of noise made about her getting on drugs again partially due to pressure to lose weight - AGAIN.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Disney sure as poo poo wasn't going to call attention to her problems and she died in the pre TLJ window when disney was getting a pass to the highest extent. Now the machine grotesquely dons her skin as necessary :rip:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Given all the grotesque garbage and disappointing bullshit I’ve seen surrounding Star Wars...it could make for a good backdrop to a horror story. Get some Lovecraft in the mix or something.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
TOP VOTED TAGS

Cringe-Worthy · Over-Hyped · One-Dimensional Characters · Unconvincing · Boring · Illogical · Depressing · Plot Holes · Forgettable · Awkward

Can't wait to see this in an air conditioned cinema tomorrow when it's 42 degrees!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Pollyanna posted:

Given all the grotesque garbage and disappointing bullshit I’ve seen surrounding Star Wars...it could make for a good backdrop to a horror story. Get some Lovecraft in the mix or something.

Wasn't there some wacky EU poo poo around an invasion from beyond the galaxy by some kind of bizarre monster horde that...stole organs or some poo poo?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

The best star wars spinoff film is the Episode I making-of which is basically an unwitting Ed Wood/Disaster Artist/Christopher Guest type of deal

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

sean10mm posted:

Wasn't there some wacky EU poo poo around an invasion from beyond the galaxy by some kind of bizarre monster horde that...stole organs or some poo poo?

The Yuuzhan Vong, a society of masochists who only used biotech, hated non-biological machines, and were completely disconnected from the Force.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

If by "enablers" you mean "Disney handlers with no ethics whose only job was to get Fisher thin and fired up for the role," I'm pretty sure everyone kind of figured that one out already.

Not anyone that matters since the fans never cared and the ones responsible didn’t suffer any consequences for their actions.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Zoran posted:

The Yuuzhan Vong, a society of masochists who only used biotech, hated non-biological machines, and were completely disconnected from the Force.

Sounds weirdly familiar.

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

Necrothatcher posted:

Sounds weirdly familiar.

Resistance is futile Necrothatcher.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

riseofmydick posted:

Resistance is futile Necrothatcher.

The joke is that I was thinking of Star wars fans

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Any sources for this stuff btw? I don't doubt it and I've googled and found the toxicology report, I'd just love to have something to bust out when my friend with terminal star wars brainworms says the trilogy might be pointless but who cares since we got more star wars

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Star Wars definitely doesn’t need Finn to be born from a hard shell egg or for its minority characters to be less-than-human descendants of the great other.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ruddiger posted:

Star Wars definitely doesn’t need Finn to be born from a hard shell egg or for its minority characters to be less-than-human descendants of the great other.

Okay, not Lovecraft Lovecraft. "Lovecraft".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zoran posted:

I thought it was incredible how Thor Ragnarok ended with Thor learning the lesson that Asgard is not the fancy space island, it's the people he's responsible for, and whom he has just shepherded onto a lifeboat so that they can rebuild on Earth...

...and then in the opening scene of Infinity War, literally minutes later in-universe, they all got killed.

nah. most of them lived and live on earth or something. least from endgame.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
No matter how you slice it, someone with more than 40 years of active addiction who admitted to it being ongoing and also pinned the origin of her addiction on the pressure of Star Wars itself, is not someone you haphazardly throw back into the mix for what was going to be years. The autopsy found heroin, cocaine and mdma in her system. The months leading up to her death she was becoming clearly unhinged on her Twitter, her final days she was posting straight up nonsense words and emojis.

It isn't Disney's fault per se. It's not like Mickey mouse fed her lines. But I've thought ever since that maybe there was a reason Lucas didn't go back to the original cast for his own sequel trilogy. Say what you want about him but he's certainly more human than the billionaire committee steering Disney, and he was very aware of Carrie Fishers problems and opinions of him.

I just get the impression Disney asked all of this from so many people, and to make it happen as fast as possible, but never stopped to ask if any of it was a good idea. Thrusting Carrie Fisher back into the light and onto a new full trilogy and all of its production requirements including requiring her to lose weight, one of the very things she had identified had injured her in the OT, it doesn't take a genius to see that that's all very dangerous territory for her. And yes someone around her was helping her get all that poo poo.

She died just ten days after the younger, skinnier digital version of herself appeared in RO. To me that sounds like a perfect catalyst of a mind gently caress for someone with her specific life and problems.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 19, 2019

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
For what it's worth, I’m pretty sure George was instrumental in getting the original trio all signed on for the new movies. Although I think that was also back when Disney was going to use his story treatments.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm only 35 and mortality hoves into view more often with aging parents and other pressures. I can't imagine that watching de aged vision of yourself would be an assist if you're already feeling it keenly. Billy Dee Williams gave an interview and he mentioned his own mortality a fair bit and he wasn't so sure about returning to star wars because of it. I feel like this would be the same for Carrie Fisher and I can't imagine it's easy to return to your youthful endeavours as an older person and not find a huge amount of existential inquiry waiting.

E: furthered by it triggering dependences that are linked to the work.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Donovan Trip posted:

No matter how you slice it, someone with more than 40 years of active addiction who admitted to it being ongoing and also pinned the origin of her addiction on the pressure of Star Wars itself, is not someone you haphazardly throw back into the mix for what was going to be years. The autopsy found heroin, cocaine and mdma in her system. The months leading up to her death she was becoming clearly unhinged on her Twitter, her final days she was posting straight up nonsense words and emojis.

It isn't Disney's fault per se. It's not like Mickey mouse fed her lines. But I've thought ever since that maybe there was a reason Lucas didn't go back to the original cast for his own sequel trilogy. Say what you want about him but he's certainly more human than the billionaire committee steering Disney, and he was very aware of Carrie Fishers problems and opinions of him.

I just get the impression Disney asked all of this from so many people, and to make it happen as fast as possible, but never stopped to ask if any of it was a good idea. Thrusting Carrie Fisher back into the light and onto a new full trilogy and all of its production requirements including requiring her to lose weight, one of the very things she had identified had injured her in the OT, it doesn't take a genius to see that that's all very dangerous territory for her. And yes someone around her was helping her get all that poo poo.

She died just ten days after the younger, skinnier digital version of herself appeared in RO. To me that sounds like a perfect catalyst of a mind gently caress for someone with her specific life and problems.

:capitalism:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
There's something really tasteless about someone who got hosed over by Hollywood that much becoming a springboard for such a ghoulish technology and its inevitable normalization.

Just get younger lookalike actors ffs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

YaketySass posted:

There's something really tasteless about someone who got hosed over by Hollywood that much becoming a springboard for such a ghoulish technology and its inevitable normalization.

I couldn't enjoy The Irishman because it felt a bit played out, but also because watching a nearly 80 year old man in a computer mask creak around for three hours is bloody gruelling.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

JBP posted:

I couldn't enjoy The Irishman because it felt a bit played out, but also because watching a nearly 80 year old man in a computer mask creak around for three hours is bloody gruelling.

Big same. A lot of people liked it, that's great, but God it was uncomfortable for me. At least you get the impression everyone involved did it because they like each other so it has less of the deeply patronizing cynicism of the ST.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Donovan Trip posted:

Big same. A lot of people liked it, that's great, but God it was uncomfortable for me. At least you get the impression everyone involved did it because they like each other so it has less of the deeply patronizing cynicism of the ST.

Oh yeah, it had a kind of a collective victory lap feel to it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

YaketySass posted:

They tried that with Solo, to be fair

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

I think you mean Rogue One, or did Solo do this too?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bogus Adventure posted:

There wasn't really anything wrong with the casting in Solo. It was just a bit hollow somehow (maybe as a result of the trouble they had making it). The release timing of it was nuts as well.

I said come in! posted:

He just means casting a young Solo I think.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

I said come in! posted:

I meant hiring lookalike actors

JBP posted:

He just means casting a young Solo I think.

This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Kathleen Kennedy is a really bad producer