Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

There is no valid defense of Trump's actions, either official or otherwise. They're just spouting bullshit because they have to say something.

It’s like watching a public defender try to claim their client’s innocence after the jury just watched a 4K video of the client recording himself cannibalizing a dude. Except the public defender is bound by their duty (and the honor of the court) to offer a defense, but the GOP house and senate is doing the exact opposite of doing their duty and honoring the constitution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What's the accepted votes -> crimes ratio? How many votes equals one free crime?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

InsertPotPun posted:

honestly am I in a bubble? IS there an "official" defense other than "it's not a crime when trump does it?" is it something I've missed?

The defense is a mix of bullshit and table pounding. It consists of claims that the process was bad or somehow wrong (it wasn't), that the very act of impeachment is illegitimately overturning an election (it isn't), that witnesses exonerated the president (they super didn't), that what the president did wasn't actually illegal (it was), and that regardless of all that it isn't impeachable (multiple legal scholars testified that it definitely is).

Essentially, the defense is an attempt to throw so much garbage information at you that you lose the ability to tell what is really true.

To combat this slurry of bullshit, maintain the truth as your North Star. The facts of the case are clear, and are supported by witness testimony and documentary evidence. Focus on what really happened, do not get bogged down fighting each untruth. There are infinite possible lies and one truth - if you only fight the lies, you will never reach their end.

Focus on the evidence and the damned truth. Do not waste time deciphering all the bullshit, you'll never finish.

EDIT: Not that you are personally falling for it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Harrow posted:

What's the accepted votes -> crimes ratio? How many votes equals one free crime?

apparently it's 31.5 million votes = 1 free crime, since Donald Trump got 63 million and he's been accused of two

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

An insane mind posted:

Ok it's not clear to me, why is Schiff now taking over? Did Nadler get rattled?

i mean would you want to do this poo poo for 6 hours straight

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
So wtf does impeachment actually mean/do it the Senate can just squash it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

It's like the Republicans are unaware that every single president that was impeached was elected into the presidency.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

impeachment is the equivalent of a grand jury bringing an indictment, forcing a trial in the senate.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
after hearing the same stuff so often these past two weeks, my brain is seriously melting from listening to all this poo poo

can't wait until they vote, even though i know it'll prob be tmrrw

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Arturo Ui posted:

i mean would you want to do this poo poo for 6 hours straight

Oh no I wouldn't, but it's just that some Republican dick got real angry at him and now he's turning over to Schiff. If he's just like, fuckit I'm done for today, fair enough.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Is Amash going to speak? He's the only person who might actually say something interesting.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

CyberPingu posted:

Makes a poo poo load of them look bad for the 2020 elections.
It's a bonus if they actually get him out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder how many Republicans (both politicians and voters) actually think that if Trump is removed from office, Hillary gets to be president

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

An insane mind posted:

Oh poo poo, the big boy's in the house? Maybe it was planned because Collins is their big noisy foil who has hopefully expended his energy, and has also been vociferous about confronting Schiff. Now the most eloquent proceedings leadership figure gets to be on prime time, fresh-faced, get some good digs in, and the repubs may derail from planned talking points to try and beef with him directly, which would look childish.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CyberPingu posted:

Practically? Nothing. It's effectively censure writ large. All it really does is compel the Senate to act on it.

The Senate can squash it, but they can't squash it quietly. This is widely expected to happen so no one is going to be surprised or disappointed when it does.

The point of it is that there are a number of Senators - it's unclear just how many, but probably more than the Republican advantage in the Senate right now - who lose politically by the House forcing things to this point. A vote, any vote, on whether or not to keep Trump in office in no uncertain terms will have consequences in the 2020 election, as will the verdict rendered by the Senate as a whole. If they ditch him, their own voters and Trump will be furious, and that translates into at best depressed Republican turnout and at worst getting primaried. If they keep him, the Democratic base will be even more furious and that translates into Democratic votes in the general.

Plus, it'll make Trump mad as hell that his administration has now been permanently marked as one that got impeached, and that's always good for some comedy.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

gandlethorpe posted:

Is Amash going to speak? He's the only person who might actually say something interesting.

You just missed him. He stressed how nonpartisan his decision to impeach is.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Thanks for fielding all my stupid questions guys.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

haveblue posted:

Practically? Nothing. It's effectively censure writ large. All it really does is compel the Senate to act on it.

The Senate can squash it, but they can't squash it quietly. This is widely expected to happen so no one is going to be surprised or disappointed when it does.

The point of it is that there are a number of Senators - it's unclear just how many, but probably more than the Republican advantage in the Senate right now - who lose politically by the House forcing things to this point. A vote, any vote, on whether or not to keep Trump in office in no uncertain terms will have consequences in the 2020 election, as will the verdict rendered by the Senate as a whole. If they ditch him, their own voters and Trump will be furious, and that translates into at best depressed Republican turnout and at worst getting primaried. If they keep him, the Democratic base will be even more furious and that translates into Democratic votes in the general.

Plus, it'll make Trump mad as hell that his administration has now been permanently marked as one that got impeached, and that's always good for some comedy.

this. unless a miracle happens. he is gonna get aquited but the GOP has no good out when doing that so it will hurt them hard in 2020 no matter what.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Jesus how many goddamn Republican from Texas are there

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Dude didn't get the memo that the right thinks Joe McCarthy is a hero now.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

The defense is a mix of bullshit and table pounding. It consists of claims that the process was bad or somehow wrong (it wasn't), that the very act of impeachment is illegitimately overturning an election (it isn't), that witnesses exonerated the president (they super didn't), that what the president did wasn't actually illegal (it was), and that regardless of all that it isn't impeachable (multiple legal scholars testified that it definitely is).

Essentially, the defense is an attempt to throw so much garbage information at you that you lose the ability to tell what is really true.

To combat this slurry of bullshit, maintain the truth as your North Star. The facts of the case are clear, and are supported by witness testimony and documentary evidence. Focus on what really happened, do not get bogged down fighting each untruth. There are infinite possible lies and one truth - if you only fight the lies, you will never reach their end.

Focus on the evidence and the damned truth. Do not waste time deciphering all the bullshit, you'll never finish.

EDIT: Not that you are personally falling for it.
trump was asked, by a reporter, repeatedly, if he would accept foreign help with his campaign and he, repeatedly, even after all of this started, said on TV "yes, I think anyone would". And it never gets brought up! "this thing you did is bad and wrong, would you do it again?" "yes", if you're basing punishment on likelihood of reoffending, "yes I would absolutely do it again" seems pretty cut and dry.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

InsertPotPun posted:

honestly am I in a bubble? IS there an "official" defense other than "it's not a crime when trump does it?" is it something I've missed?

I believe the official party line from the Republicans at this point is: rawraratatarraqwwwwwwrr

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

CyberPingu posted:

Thanks for fielding all my stupid questions guys.

Thank you for asking, it's how you learn all the dumb niche poo poo and the explanations help others too!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I wish somebody would pull an A Time To Kill on the Republicans.

"Imagine the president colluded with a foreign country to cheat in an election. Imagine that president spending millions of tax payer dollars along with doing everything they could to break every law they thought would give them an advantage. Imagine them fighting tooth and nail at every opportunity to deny and obstruct due process and the law in pursuit of these selfish goals.

...now imagine that president was Hillary Clinton.

I yield the remainder of my time."

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

GreatGreen posted:

I wish somebody would pull an A Time To Kill on the Republicans.

"Imagine the president colluded with a foreign country to cheat in an election. Imagine that president spending millions of tax payer dollars along with doing everything they could to break every law they thought would give them an advantage. Imagine them fighting tooth and nail at every opportunity to deny and obstruct due process and the law in pursuit of these selfish goals.

...now imagine that president was Hillary Clinton.

I yield the remainder of my time."

It would turn out about the same way for the same basic reasons.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Guys I might be a Democrat now

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Guys I might be a Democrat now

I have had this thought a lot recently, and I am not trying to draw any equivalence between Republicans and Democrats with this but... Democrats are terrible.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

My Democrat colleagues believe that the 2018 election overturned the 2016 election. This is an abomination. The 2016 election should be the only election that ever counts from now until forever, praise be to the electoral college.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

An insane mind posted:

How long has he been up there?Seems like you would need a break if nothing else at some point.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I am pretty sure Pelosi said at the beginning that the plan was for Schiff to take over at some point.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CraigCaplan/status/1207423058044227584

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Absolutely shameless theft from USPOL thread:
https://twitter.com/GreatDismal/status/1207406679949631488

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Democrats: "Trump committed the following crimes for which we have hard evidence: :words:"

Republicans: "THIS IS A SHAM, NO COLLUSION"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

THE DEMOCRATS ARE JUST JEALOUS OF TRUMP'S VERY LARGE HANDS

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
shitlibs are gonna gently caress it up like usual lmao

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene
Anyone else catch Joe Wilson end his time with "We'll never forget September 11th, and the global warming terrorism"

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Awww lil' Dougie had a coffee

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Are they gonna vote soon?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Republicans posted:

Are they gonna vote soon?

2 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Scoops My Goops posted:

Anyone else catch Joe Wilson end his time with "We'll never forget September 11th, and the global warming terrorism"

I think he was muttering out the standard "god bless our troops" and got ahead of himself so it came out garbled, but he said "the global war on terrorism."

The thing I find most surprising is how lovely at speaking most of these people are.