Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Squadron 42 Roadmap Update (2019-12-13)

:reddit: posted:

Sure an extra year is not that bad,but I have been many in the meantime.

I remember people calling me a troll on the official forum because I mentioned 2020, now people tell me I need to get over 2020.Funny how these things turn.

Still the worse thing is that all the transparency dissapears once things aren't going well.

:argh: posted:

I got curious when you said you were calling 2020 and checked your profile. 3 years ago (2016) you were claiming a 2017 SQ42 release date in several comments.

Quit your bullshit.

Meanwhile in 2016...

Everytime they talk about SQ42 I feel less confident in what they have ready at this point. I feel it will be at least Q4 2017 for release.

:) you don't build your launch hype 2 months before (citzcon). Releasing after nov is also not something many games do for obvious reasons.

a 2017 launch is almost 100% certain at this point.

e:

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

IcarusUpHigh posted:

I don't think Star Citizen is very good personally. I think infact, it is the opposite of good.

Star Citizen is bad.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Inacio posted:

the groundbreaking planetary procedural generation v4 can certainly generate some incredible Nintendo 64-tier geometry.

Let's be fair here, that's more Playstation 2 level geometry.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dooguk posted:

"So where the gently caress's Skyrim?"

you can fit the whole of skyrim into the rear end in a top hat of commando three

edit: which one is norman reedus?

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 18, 2019

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

IcarusUpHigh posted:

I don't think Star Citizen is very good personally. I think infact, it is the opposite of good.

Star Citizen is bad.

:O

:'(

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Star Citizen is bad.

Hmm. Tell me more.

Gath
Sep 23, 2009
Can someone press fastforward on time? I want to see gnashing of teeth and wailing when the cleaners trip over powercord.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Viscous Soda posted:

Let's be fair here, that's more Playstation 2 level geometry.

I bet none of them can pee. Still attempting to find Kojima's coat-tails.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Daniel "Slope" Ibbertson mentionning store citizer at 16:30 minutes

I guess most of you are also interested in others failed kickstarters etc.
Slope has a long list of excellent videos called "kickscammers" and he promises a full video on star citizen "some day" (which fits star citizen perfectly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fb2an0nMk4

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I was gonna post that when it came out, but it was little more than a mention, and it promises that he'll eventually make a video, not that he has one in production.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 18, 2019

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i had the urge to promote slope a little hehe

i think his videos are in general very entertaining, especially the kickscammer ones, where i learned about totally wacky stuff that i would never have found out by myself.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IcarusUpHigh posted:

"Ok guys we got the screenshot of us at the top of this mountain. What do we do now?"

Crash to desktop.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
From the SQ42 Roadmap on reddit

quote:

It mainly says that people are willing to put up with it and will buy the ships anyway -- so from CIG's perspective, there's no need to do anything else.

I love these small glimpses of self awareness from the SC sub, too bad they only last until the next new shiny JPEG. :homebrew:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
If there was a betting on when SC (at least sq42) releases, what year would you bet on? Mid 20-s or early 30-s?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

AntherUslessPoster posted:

If there was a betting on when SC (at least sq42) releases, what year would you bet on? Mid 20-s or early 30-s?

Real, no-joke answer: never.

For SQ42, there's no indication they're moving in a direction towards release. Each time they actually show a vertical slice or trailer of some kind, months later, they seem to have started over again and scrapped all previous work. The roadmap shows pretty clearly they have no idea what they're doing. And on some level, CR and the rest of CIG MUST know that releasing SQ42 and it bombing will doom the project. They're better off delaying it indefinitely, since SQ42 seems to be impossible for them to finish.

I think eventually, SQ42 will just be scrapped with some justification like focusing on the PU, maybe with some sort of story-like content in the PU with the leftover assets as a consolation, if CR is feeling generous. The PU will putter on as an alpha forever. Backers seem to be perfectly happy to dump money into the Alpha - why mess that up with an actual release?

Or, more likely, both will crash and burn when the funding starts to dry up and SQ42 will never see the light of day. But, again, who knows how long THAT will be, with CR's seeming endless ability to pull money from backers' and investors' pockets.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 18, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
When was the last time any game play from SQ42 was shown?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Popete posted:

When was the last time any game play from SQ42 was shown?

That 1 hour vertical slice from like a year ago, I think. Which categorically must all be fake because none of the chapters are out of greybox.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Real, no-joke answer: never.

For SQ42, there's no indication they're moving in a direction towards release. Each time they actually show a vertical slice or trailer of some kind, months later, they seem to have started over again and scrapped all previous work. The roadmap shows pretty clearly they have no idea what they're doing. And on some level, CR and the rest of CIG MUST know that releasing SQ42 and it bombing will doom the project. They're better off delaying it indefinitely, since SQ42 seems to be impossible for them to finish.

I think eventually, SQ42 will just be scrapped with some justification like focusing on the PU, maybe with some sort of story-like content in the PU with the leftover assets as a consolation, if CR is feeling generous. The PU will putter on as an alpha forever. Backers seem to be perfectly happy to dump money into the Alpha - why mess that up with an actual release?

Or, more likely, both will crash and burn when the funding starts to dry up and SQ42 will never see the light of day. But, again, who knows how long THAT will be, with CR's seeming endless ability to pull money from backers' and investors' pockets.

As you say here, any release of SQ42 collapses the dream waveform. CIG can't release it even if they make it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah. Even if it releases and it's decent, everyone who cares about it has already paid for it - and many that did pay for it don't really care about it anyway! There's no upside to finishing it, except if it turns out to be REALLY good and is a breakaway hit that pulls in millions of new people to SC. And that seems... VERY unlikely.

The math just doesn't hold up. To have earnings equal the funding put in to SC, Squadron 42, if sold at $60, would have to sell ~4+ million new copies. That is... Not happening.

And if SQ42 releases and it's garbage... SC is over. They won't survive the bad press from that.

But we'll never find out for sure. CIG is going to ride this pony for as long as they can until CR sees an out. How long that will be I don't know, but I believe in CR's ability to extend it longer than most people expect, as he's always done.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 18, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It occurs to me that there isn't really any way to buy/pre-order SQ42 by itself. You have to buy a ship that happens to include the game. I wonder how they would handle that for a hypothetical release, if at some point they'll make a new $60 package that is called SQ42 and it happens to include a PU ship as well or it's finally split into 2 games.

It's just such a backwards system, where you can spend loads of money but not actually get the game itself. It just shows their focus is selling ships, cause the return on a conventional $60 game isn't really worth bothering with. Most anyone who cares about SQ42 already owns it and many who don't coincidentally also own it.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Scruffpuff posted:

As you say here, any release of SQ42 collapses the dream waveform. CIG can't release it even if they make it.

Yeah, it makes me sad. I really want to see some scathing reviews of it. Or a compilation of all the garbage cutscenes. 100% rock solid proof that Chris is a hack and a fraud that the backers can't deny.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
SQ42 could just be a splash screen that says "gently caress you lmao" before crashing to desktop and backers would accuse anyone who posted a bad review of being paid off by Derek Smart, before going on to say that they've spent more time and had more fun playing SQ42 than every other game they've ever played in their lives, combined

So if CIG's ever forced to actually release something, it's not really going to change anything for them

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:toot: Action packed Xmas event in Star Citizen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgprpKS5Kso

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Popete posted:

It occurs to me that there isn't really any way to buy/pre-order SQ42 by itself. You have to buy a ship that happens to include the game. I wonder how they would handle that for a hypothetical release, if at some point they'll make a new $60 package that is called SQ42 and it happens to include a PU ship as well or it's finally split into 2 games.

It's just such a backwards system, where you can spend loads of money but not actually get the game itself. It just shows their focus is selling ships, cause the return on a conventional $60 game isn't really worth bothering with. Most anyone who cares about SQ42 already owns it and many who don't coincidentally also own it.

This is their Bullshit protection against using the original license for more than one game. I'm sure they have provided tons of discovery of "proof" showing that it is part of the PU and not in any way or shape a second unlicensed game,

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Popete posted:

It made sense for the original Kickstarter but doesn't for the form SC has taken now. Honestly CIG would be best off dissolving SQ42 into the PU and devoting resources to finish that. Most people would forgive them as, again, they mostly don't care about SQ42 anymore - anyone still on board with SC is all-in for the PU.

But of course they're still splitting off and doing more "modules" like Theaters of War that will quickly get sideline and ignored like AC and SM. So I doubt they'll cancel SQ42 to concentrate on the PU. But unless they have more celebrity cameos in the works (CR's REAL passion), I doubt SQ42 has much more than a skeleton crew devoted to it at this point, given the (lack of) progress it's shown.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

monkeytek posted:

This is their Bullshit protection against using the original license for more than one game. I'm sure they have provided tons of discovery of "proof" showing that it is part of the PU and not in any way or shape a second unlicensed game,

Oh good point they can't even sell them separately. I wonder if that also bars them from selling a boxed/console version of the game called Squadron 42, so they're basically stuck selling individual ships with "Includes Squadron 42" label.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

The flight model is still so bad, it looks like someones holding up a model by a piece of string in front of a green screen.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

that fire straight up looks like something you'd find for a dollar on an asset store lol

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I'd like to see Sandi's scenes in SQ42.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Not gonna lie, the upside-down tree and the snowman's face are pretty funny.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I mean, i never put anything into star citizen. If they released something worthwhile i'd buy it. Checking if star citizen was worthwhile is how i got into this thread.... I'm sure theres others like me.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Popete posted:

The flight model is still so bad, it looks like someones holding up a model by a piece of string in front of a green screen.

It really irritates me that whenever someone says it looks terrible/noclippy, a whale will immediately shoot back that while it may look odd it’s actually perfectly accurate. You see, CIG have, for never explained reasons, given the ships the most powerful thrusters in the verse which can apply thrust infinitely quickly in any direction. It’s designed to be lovely and massless on purpose, so you’re stupid for thinking it’s broken.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I mean, i never put anything into star citizen. If they released something worthwhile i'd buy it. Checking if star citizen was worthwhile is how i got into this thread.... I'm sure theres others like me.

If SQ42/Star Citizen somehow turned out good sure they'd sell copies. But that would only be for $60 a piece, compared to the boat load they are raking in by selling new ships for hundreds of dollars to people already heavily invested in the game.

Also a lot of people who are interested in a game like Star Citizen have already bought in even if just at the cheapest $45 ship level.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

PTU 3.8 is open to all backers.
The planet MicroTech is in, but the landing zone and the 'city' zone of New Babbage will not be ready until 3.9. MicroTech's moons have killzones around them since not all of them are ready. Temperature sim is now in and players will react to the temperature as seen in the Citcon demo. Orbital stations are in, and they and all rest stops now have habs so you can respawn in any of them.

uh

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

3.8 PTU patch notes

Known Issues
:confused: Constantine Hurston is missing.
Paying a fine at the fine kiosk may not remove the player's crime stat.
Once a magazine is emptied for the Animus Launcher the player can no longer equip fresh magazines.
The mission marker for black box recovery does not update when arriving at orbital mission locations.
Multi-tool scanned mineables remain on the player's HUD when the multi-tool is stowed.
:trustme: If the quantum travel marker is at the edge of a moon or planet they can QT through the moon and explode.
:trustme: Carriable mission items can fall through flooring.
The Sentinel is incorrectly labeled as the Harbinger in the ASOP and Comms channel.
Purchased commodities will often visually not appear in the ship's hold.
:trustme: Carriable boxes may fall through the flooring.
Players may experience stalls in performance shortly after loading into Star Marine and firing weapons.
NPC beacon notifications will sometimes display an incorrect distance.
:trustme: AI ships can often get stuck in the middle of their motion and not advance further.
AR makers for enemies can sometimes be seen through walls in Star Marine.

:lol:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Volunteer Regression: 3.8.0n

Greetings Citizens!

Below you will find a survey to check on bug fixes taken from the most recent set of patch notes. If you have time, investigate those features and let us know if we were able to resolve the issue. If the issue persists, please reply to this post with video/screenshots.

https://forms.gle/qvEmmtS6Mt3haCGB6

Thanks for your help!

:blastu:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Quavers posted:

And much like any MMO, the area is packed with other players discovering and enjoying this easter egg area.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sillybones posted:

And much like any MMO, the area is packed with other players discovering and enjoying this easter egg area.

1/50th of the entire server is there!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That 1 hour vertical slice from like a year ago, I think. Which categorically must all be fake because none of the chapters are out of greybox.

Two full years ago actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I do think Crobbers has a complete SQ42 script and I bet it's hilarious. And also I'm sure has been rewritten constantly