Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

graventy posted:

Wait, three gamecubes taped together? I can't believe Nintendo didn't think of it first.

Wiiu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The WiiU was 1.5 Wiis which themselves were 2 GameCubes so you are correct. 1 WiiU = 3 GameCubes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bowing irl

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hamsterlady posted:

Do former gamepass games ever come back to the service, or once they're gone are they definitely gone forever?

I don't think a game that's left has come back, although some games "left" for a second and then relisted because the license timer rolled over a 1-year mark or something. That doesn't mean games can't come back but I can't think of anything that's left that I would be hungry to get back.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
this thread is full of *checks notes* AIDS

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Zachack posted:

I don't think a game that's left has come back, although some games "left" for a second and then relisted because the license timer rolled over a 1-year mark or something. That doesn't mean games can't come back but I can't think of anything that's left that I would be hungry to get back.

The only one that I know of since it mattered to me was MGS V: The Phantom Pain which left but did come back.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Fallout 4 has come, gone and come back again

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Xbox one series x is so big every time one comes off the production line it causes an earthquake

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
the xbox series x is so big that the picture of it keeps falling off my wall; thanks to the prarie home companion for that "yo mama" joke I tweaked a little here

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

univbee posted:

It absolutely does, a good chunk of setups don't have a space with that much vertical clearance.

Where do you put the Xbox Series X in something like this?

univbee posted:

Here's another one. This is approximately my home setup, same stand, but the TV is the full width of the cabinet so can't put anything higher than a few inches on top or it'll block the screen.

Where do you put your speakers? Where do you put your subwoofer? Where do you put your receiver? Where do you put anything? Do you even have room for a couch?

Where are you going to put this?

lol jk we know you got a pedestal ready.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It has already been determined that it sits ontop of the X Pillar.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
the xbox whatever x is so big it has caused a permanent shift in our orbit, thus dooming us all

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

SUNKOS posted:

Where do you put your speakers? Where do you put your subwoofer? Where do you put your receiver? Where do you put anything? Do you even have room for a couch?

most people dont have seperate speakers let alone a sub. do you not understand why soundbars took off? if the release ps5 looks like that or is huge it will also be bad yes.

i mean you can lol all you want about lack of room but again most places that arent america space is a legit concern. everyone points out japans pretty modest average house size but theyre not exactly out of the ordinary, they fit in with a lot of europe. its more that the us and canada have giant housing.

Stux fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 18, 2019

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
like the idea of having space on the floor near the tv to put other stuff is v funny to me a person in the uk especially, and uk is one of the places where xbox still does well

acksplode
May 17, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Where do you put your speakers? Where do you put your subwoofer? Where do you put your receiver?

Floor except for the center speaker which sits underneath the TV, floor, in the one spot in my media cabinet that can fit either a reciever or an Xbox Series X

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

that's a ps5 devkit, the ps4 and ps4 pro dev kits are stacked behind them in the top right, giving you a strong indicator that this is not what the ps5 will look like

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I live in the UK too and what you're saying only applies if you're one of those unfortunate fucks stuck paying through the nose to rent a cupboard in London where a one bedroom flat has been converted into five separate abodes. Also, if you're a UK resident then the size of the new Xbox console should be the least of your concerns lol

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
You'll buy it anyway, spend a few forum posts grousing about how it doesn't fit into your precious little entertainment center and then go back to playing Halo 7.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

we're on halo 6

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I didn't think anyone even gave a poo poo about Halo any more but people been going nuts for Reach so wtf

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
just pull a brick out of your wall and replace it with a bone sex

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

I didn't think anyone even gave a poo poo about Halo any more but people been going nuts for Reach so wtf

Reach was good then Halo got real bad.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Mr E posted:

Reach was good then 343 took over Halo.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Just balance your TV on top of the SexBox 360

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's called the Sexbox 360 because you have sex with it 360 times.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/Rhymestyle/status/1205591071213834241?s=20

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

SUNKOS posted:

I live in the UK too and what you're saying only applies if you're one of those unfortunate fucks stuck paying through the nose to rent a cupboard in London where a one bedroom flat has been converted into five separate abodes. Also, if you're a UK resident then the size of the new Xbox console should be the least of your concerns lol

it really isnt, i live out in what passes for the countryside and our houses are matchboxes compared to literally anywhere else

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I have lived in more than one uk house and they were not really matchboxes compared to japan or hong kong

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Celexi posted:

I have lived in more than one uk house and they were not really matchboxes compared to japan or hong kong

i mean uk houses are actually smaller on average than in japan. not really got anything on hong kong though.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
It does seem a bit silly that a modern game console (plus space for air flow) should be expected to match the approximate dimensions of a 1980s VHS player. I know lots of people might still have furniture designed for them but we have to move on eventually.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

heeheex2 posted:

this thread is full of *checks notes* AIDS
Greetings AIDS.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

uvar posted:

It does seem a bit silly that a modern game console (plus space for air flow) should be expected to match the approximate dimensions of a 1980s VHS player. I know lots of people might still have furniture designed for them but we have to move on eventually.

the tyranny of standard design that has no real reason t ochange except "what if xbox tall"

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

uvar posted:

I just wanted it to fit in a regular backpack, like the One X does :(

acksplode
May 17, 2004

uvar posted:

Moore's law would lead me to expect that newer consoles do not need to become bigger in order to be more powerful, and I'd expect a fully integrated console to be smaller than its PC equivalent since it doesn't need a modular design.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Moore's law stopped being a thing like 10 years ago.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SUNKOS posted:

People wanted another bungie halo on pc with no gfwl or whatever the last one had.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

American McGay posted:

Moore's law stopped being a thing like 10 years ago.
It's only now starting to falter as we're beginning to hit limits on reducing manufacturing process size. But for now we're still cramming exponentially more transistors into chips every year. It was about a decade and a half ago that we hit a ceiling on clock rate which limits single-thread performance, so now gains from moore's law are reflected in multi-core performance, which is harder for software to take advantage of. But this isn't as applicable to game consoles since graphics rendering tends to be highly parallel, and not bottlenecked by your CPU's clock rate. In any case, Moore's Law hasn't stalled to the point where it's unreasonable to expect that a new generation of consoles should be able to deliver much better performance without being huge.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If the PS4 Pro is any indication the current state of thermals in high performance consoles is already too ambitious. Consoles could stand to be a little airier. Although I'm not going to argue that the Series X isn't a cartoonish swing in the opposite direction I also don't care enough to complain about it.

Reminder that Microsoft spent a billion dollars dealing with and fixing thermal failures with the 360. They're probably just being overly cautious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
microsoft managed to make a camera that ran at 45C while idle that had a fan in it