Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Who directed the throne room sequence? It's the best scene in all 11 movies, just absolutely fantastic performances by all 3 actors there and doesnt even have much dialogue

There's no loving way Lucas directed that scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Zoran posted:

I had always thought the major falling out was between Lucas and his producer, Gary Kurtz—the guy who was actually responsible for making sure things got done on time and on budget.

Oh he was pissed at Kurtz, too.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I don't care about metacritic or rotten tomatoes, but this is so juicy. What a world!

On top: a film starring Adam Sandler, showing that script + directing trumps all
Second, Rian Johnson's new film
Third, a loving Jumanji sequel
...And below them all, Disney's conclusion to the final Star Wars trilogy.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Is Rose even in this? I haven't read anything about her in spoilers and she was such a lightning rod for toxicity last time. Sucks for Kellie Tran to endure all that for 2 years just for her character to get Jar Jar'd.

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

Pollyanna posted:

Were they seriously going to do 3 different directors for a trilogy? I mean, good thing it’s Disney that proved it was a bad idea, but god drat.

You do know the original 3 films all had different directors right?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I haven't heard anything about Maz either. Is she even mentioned?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hobo Clown posted:

Is Rose even in this? I haven't read anything about her in spoilers and she was such a lightning rod for toxicity last time. Sucks for Kellie Tran to endure all that for 2 years just for her character to get Jar Jar'd.

she does indeed get Jar Jar'd. shoved in the back for like 3 lines

but at least they introduced the first gay character in star war a lady who kisses another lady in the background woohoo finally i have representation

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Zoran posted:

I had always thought the major falling out was between Lucas and his producer, Gary Kurtz—the guy who was actually responsible for making sure things got done on time and on budget.

This is what I understood to be the case, which is why Kurtz wasn't involved in Return of the Jedi and spent the rest of his career talking poo poo about Lucas (between ruining several other projects via mismanagement, like the Thief and the Cobbler)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

riseofmydick posted:

You do know the original 3 films all had different directors right?

I still don't believe Richard Marquand was a real person :colbert:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

I still don't believe Richard Marquand was a real person :colbert:

I found this while looking for him

I guess he's one of the guys Chewie pulls head first out of the AT-ST

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Potential BFF posted:

The prequels were kind of stupid fun to rag on but the ST is just loathsome trash I can't even be bothered to hate properly. loving lol Disney.

the prequels are infinitely quotable. Good or bad, Lucas writes memorable dialogue

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Went searching for anyone writing about who directed particular scenes in ROTJ and came across this funny article

quote:

From accounts, it does seem like Marquand was a nice guy (he marched with Martin Luther King, Jr. at Selma) and a capable director (he was an Emmy-winner), but was in over his head with Jedi. Not because of the material or any of the challenges of directing a Star Wars movie, but because Lucas was literally standing right there the whole time. How do you not defer to Lucas when he’s looking over your shoulder and this is so obviously his creation? This is what brings me my greatest hope for the new Star Wars movies — not because Lucas is gone, but more because, like Kershner, with Lucas “not around,” filmmakers are going to feel a bit more freedom to do what they want to do as opposed to what they think Lucas wants.

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica
People keep saying there's no one that could have directed these films well and they also keep bringing up different directors but I have yet to hear someone mention Christopher Nolan, Peter Jackson or Matt Reeves.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I want a Nicolas Winding Refn Star Wars.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

riseofmydick posted:

People keep saying there's no one that could have directed these films well and they also keep bringing up different directors but I have yet to hear someone mention Christopher Nolan, Peter Jackson or Matt Reeves.

There's no way the first two are touching it. I don't think I need to see Peter Jackson Star Wars after watching him indulge all of his worst impulses thought 9 hours of The Hobbit. Matt Reeves might be the right kind of blandly competent to get the call, depending on how his Batman movie goes.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Brother Entropy posted:

Trevorrow was going to do episode 9 until the book of Henry came out and was an infamous turd of a film

Wait Disney fired him from EP9 because of the poor reception of BOH?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Polo-Rican posted:

I don't care about metacritic or rotten tomatoes, but this is so juicy. What a world!

On top: a film starring Adam Sandler, showing that script + directing trumps all
Second, Rian Johnson's new film
Third, a loving Jumanji sequel
...And below them all, Disney's conclusion to the final Star Wars trilogy.

You forgot cats

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Man, how bad must matt smith have been to get completely edited out of this movie

bij
Feb 24, 2007

sponges posted:

the prequels are infinitely quotable. Good or bad, Lucas writes memorable dialogue

Hello there!

It's impressive that Disney rummaged through the EU and made the characters and concepts they plucked worse.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait Disney fired him from EP9 because of the poor reception of BOH?

Probably not, but it certainly didn't help.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Gore Verbinski.

Or they should have backed a truckload of cash up to David Yates' door.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

No Mods No Masters posted:

Man, how bad must matt smith have been to get completely edited out of this movie

He was probably going to play Rey's dad in flashbacks or whatever, but the part was so small and unnecessary they were cut. I don't know, I haven't seen it. But the guy is a good actor (when he's not in garbage like Genysis), so I doubt it's because he was so bad.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

sponges posted:

I want a Nicolas Winding Refn Star Wars.

Even better: Refn is friends with a certain acclaimed Japanese auteur who's been open about his desire to direct a movie as his next project. :unsmigghh:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

just another posted:

The guy who directed the Fantastic Beasts movies?

(Yes, I know he also directed good Harry Potter movies, but Crimes of Grindlewald...woof.)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

just another posted:

Star Wars doesn't need to be dark grey and navy for its entire runtime

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

just another posted:

Gore Verbinski.

They might as well have brought in Alfonso Cuaron or Chris Colombus.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'd love a Guillermo Del Toro starwar, but there's no way he'd sign on for a full trilogy.

That's why the anthology movies were a pretty good and fun idea, Disney just went wrong when they got so concerned about maintaining tonal consistency.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

thrawn527 posted:

The guy who directed the Fantastic Beasts movies?

(Yes, I know he also directed good Harry Potter movies, but Crimes of Grindlewald...woof.)

No one could have salvaged JK Rowling's trainwreck of a screenplay.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Meh. I wanted a fun space romp with some Star Wars weirdness. Any of those directors would have been more interesting with Star Wars than goddamned JJ Abrams.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Does R2D2 die?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

General Dog posted:

I'd love a Guillermo Del Toro starwar, but there's no way he'd sign on for a full trilogy.

Wired: Del Toro and Winding Refn co-direct a trilogy written by Kojima

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Cuaron would actually be amazing though, ngl.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Wired: Del Toro and Winding Refn co-direct a trilogy written by Kojima

Negotiations have broken down, how do you feel about David Cage?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

weekly font posted:

hosed up thing is it's a more watchable movie than Jurassic World

The Book of Henry is such a bafflingly misguided film that it's at least watchable dreck, whereas Jurassic World is just completely talentless filmmaking.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

General Dog posted:

I'll see your cage and raise you Peter Molyneux

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

General Dog posted:

Just curious since I came to talk about this very subject- if TLJ had been more of a consensus success (as far as fan reception), what would've been the logical extension of its story into the third movie? I don't hate Last Jedi, and I think in a lot of ways it did its best with the bad hand TFA dealt it, but it does seem like it really burned the bridge behind it. It's explicitly about the circular nature (and overall futility of) Star Wars- the galaxy is always going to be that lightsaber, caught in the balance between light and dark, repeatedly broken and then re-mended. The protagonists identify this, but come to the conclusion that better things aren't possible. The end. Where can you go from there?

1. One of the central thrusts of TLJ was that the resistance had to survive to inspire their allies to take up the fight. While it ends with the resistance decimated, we see the stories of heroism of Luke and others being passed down, which seemed to suggest that the next movie picks up with allies reaching out and joining the fight.

2. Kylo Ren is impatient and immature, and there are many reasons to think him leading the First Order could be disastrous. Also it could lead to infighting as others in the FO sense his weakness and try to overthrow him, causing more chaos in the FO, and making it easier to defeat.

3. Rey, realizing that her affinity in the force doesn't come from any special heritage, means that far more people can become strong in the force than previously assumed. She beings to spread word of this more democratization in the force and inspires and trains a new form of Jedi, maybe guided by Leia and ghost skywalker,.

Just some ideas off the top of my head.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

General Dog posted:

Looking forward to the uncomfortable 90-second shower scene with Rey

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

just another posted:

Gore Verbinski.

After all the money he spent on Lone Ranger, I doubt they'd be willing to open up the checkbook for him again.

Wasn't there a story about him wanting to do a Bioshock movie, but wanted sets to actually be built underwater?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

how do these loving hack frauds get to write all this poo poo

I could do a better job for half the cash. Put me in coach I'm ready

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

theblackw0lf posted:

1. One of the central thrusts of TLJ was that the resistance had to survive to inspire their allies to take up the fight. While it ends with the resistance decimated, we see the stories of heroism of Luke and others being passed down, which seemed to suggest that the next movie picks up with allies reaching out and joining the fight.

2. Kylo Ren is impatient and immature, and there are many reasons to think him leading the First Order could be disastrous. Also it could lead to infighting as others in the FO sense his weakness and try to overthrow him, causing more chaos in the FO, and making it easier to defeat.

3. Rey, realizing that her affinity in the force doesn't come from any special heritage, means that far more people can become strong in the force than previously assumed. She beings to spread word of this more democratization in the force and inspires and trains a new form of Jedi, maybe guided by Leia and ghost skywalker,.

Just some ideas off the top of my head.

Seriously. No doors to go through? Blow a hole in the wall. That's what writers loving do.