Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Oh I thought Quarkjets was asking himself that question. I was going to tell him to turn on his monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I never edit a page snipe for clarity.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Kazak posted:

I Am The Senate

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Leon Einstein posted:

Same with giving Yoda one. I saw AoTC in theaters and remember how cringeworthy it was when like 500 nerds nutted at that scene.

my theater featured plenty of applause when that happened

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Leon Einstein posted:

Same with giving Yoda one. I saw AoTC in theaters and remember how cringeworthy it was when like 500 nerds nutted at that scene.

same. i know my mom cheered. but than again i was like 12.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
after credit scene in ep 9 when jj is sitting in a chair looking out into the audience and says

"wow what a ride huh? i bet you guys are pretty disappointed and we at the disney star wars team are too, we wish we could have done a better job for you. before you take all that anger, sadness and mockery to your local comment section I wanna remind you that the US House is getting ready to vote on impeachment right now but sure let's keep talking about Star Wars. see you guys next december."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

yeah we didn't stick the landing, but there's starving kids in africa, so who's the real bad guy here?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Democrat person: In the name of the US House of Representatives, you are impeached, Mr. President.

Trump: It's treason... then...

*Trump pulls out a steak from his sleeve and a ketchup bottle from the other, rolls around on the floor going "Aaahglrglaglarlgaghgalgarg"*

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

So this is how democracy dies... with a piss saber

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Piss is stored in the kyber crystals.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

it's spelled khhyyyberrr crystals

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I think the movie was ridiculous and very entertaining and an enjoyable watch

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

I think the movie was ridiculous and very entertaining and an enjoyable watch

But enough about Joker, what do you think about Stars War?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
yoda being a cool swashbuckler before tragedy broke his brain is good characterisation, since he's asking luke to be a cool swashbuckler doing flips and poo poo

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
It's hilarious how every review I've read about this so far lays all the blame at JJ's feet, and none at Rian's for taking every single plot thread from TFA and even the general themes of the Star Wars universe and putting them all into a giant space dumpster labeled "poo poo for idiots"

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squashing Machine posted:

It's hilarious how every review I've read about this so far lays all the blame at JJ's feet, and none at Rian's for taking every single plot thread from TFA and even the general themes of the Star Wars universe and putting them all into a giant space dumpster labeled "poo poo for idiots"

It's where they belong

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Rian did nothing wrong

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After seeing Knives Out I'm prepared to admit that Rian Johnson is a far better writer/director than JJ Abrams

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I had no problem with the Luke/Jedi stuff in Last Jedi but the problem was the rest of the film was incredibly stupid and boring

At least this is stupid and entertaining

How they decided to create a new trilogy and not have some overarching plan for the 3 films is absolutely absurd though

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

TLJ was the best Star Wars movie in a long time and this movie is poo poo because Disney listened to the nerds that hated it.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Butterfly Valley posted:

How they decided to create a new trilogy and not have some overarching plan for the 3 films is absolutely absurd though

They were just being true to the prequels, which George Lucas didn't even write until they started actually filming.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Butterfly Valley posted:

I had no problem with the Luke/Jedi stuff in Last Jedi but the problem was the rest of the film was incredibly stupid and boring

The Luke plot is less lovely than the B plot, but it still has the big problem that it doesn’t really do anything with Rey or Kylo. They flirt, they fight, they’re back where they were at the start. Luke undergoes (kind of nonsensical) development in the movie while everything else spins its wheels.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

TLJ was extremely whiplashy to me because I loved Looper and Rian's episodes of Breaking Bad, but it's a movie that accomplishes almost nothing for its characters other than Poe learning that he should just shut up and take orders, even when they're apparently going to get everyone killed through complete inaction

It's hilarious that the movie is considered either "SJW propaganda" or Extremely Woke, because the sum accomplishment of Rear Admiral Purple Hair is to get 99% of her people killed and then to kill herself from sheer embarrassment

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Saw the movie, it was stupid and entertaining, which is what I expected. Got some laughs out of C-3PO and the little droid mechanic dude Babu Bhatt or whatever his name was.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

In the cinema awaiting the poo poo storm

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

skasion posted:

The Luke plot is less lovely than the B plot, but it still has the big problem that it doesn’t really do anything with Rey or Kylo. They flirt, they fight, they’re back where they were at the start. Luke undergoes (kind of nonsensical) development in the movie while everything else spins its wheels.

The Luke stuff also sucks because it essentially takes away his entire character arc from the original trilogy, going from being the kid who wants to beat the empire with a laser sword to the adult who throws away his weapons and puts his faith in the inherent good of people

One of the first things we see Luke doing in TLJ is contemplating whether to murder a teenager in cold blood

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Luke stuff also sucks because it essentially takes away his entire character arc from the original trilogy, going from being the kid who wants to beat the empire with a laser sword to the adult who throws away his weapons and puts his faith in the inherent good of people

One of the first things we see Luke doing in TLJ is contemplating whether to murder a teenager in cold blood

Can audiences really not relate to a character who begins as an idealistic kid and ends up a grumpy old man who wants to murder teenagers?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It just kind of rehashes his transition from killer to peacemaker that the original movies already did. at the same time it portrays him as a dogmatist obsessed with old Jedi teachings, whereas in the original movies he’s the guy who clashes with dogma and reinterprets his masters’ teachings against their will. It’s odd.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

Can audiences really not relate to a character who begins as an idealistic kid and ends up a grumpy old man who wants to murder teenagers?

It's weird cart before the horse stuff, though. I think the fans who complained (and Hamill himself) would've been fine if Luke let Kylo fall to the dark side by naively assuming it was a phase or something that would sort itself out, and then Kylo burns down the academy despite all of Luke's hippie-dippie "see the good in you" crap

Luke's failure should've stemmed from where he was when we last saw him, not some random shift in a central tenet of his character

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Luke's failure should've stemmed from where he was when we last saw him, not some random shift in a central tenet of his character

People don't just magically fix their personalities overnight. Luke was an orphaned, unloved, battle hungry hick with crazy wizard powers who has single handedly killed thousands of people.

Ending up miserable, bitter and alone is where he should be.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Necrothatcher posted:

People don't just magically fix their personalities overnight. Luke was an orphaned, unloved, battle hungry hick with crazy wizard powers who has single handedly killed thousands of people.

Trying to kill a family member because of vague dreams and poo poo is loving dumb coming from Luke "There is still good in space Hitler" Skywalker

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

MrFlibble posted:

Trying to kill a family member because of vague dreams and poo poo is loving dumb coming from Luke "There is still good in space Hitler" Skywalker

*family member goes on to kill multiple planets*

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Necrothatcher posted:

*family member goes on to kill a planet*

Sure. Him being bitter old man is loving fine.

But the whole dream attack justification is bullshit. Make it so Kylo was aggressive in training and Luke goes to far in defending himself and you have something thats way more believable.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hustlin Floh posted:

After seeing Knives Out I'm prepared to admit that Rian Johnson is a far better writer/director than JJ Abrams

i think he is too and i think TLJ was ok. i think the issue is a bunch of peoples faults. its the disney execs for not having a general outline, its JJ for going full mysterybox in tfa as well as playing to safe. rian hosed up being going to far in some areas and not far enough in others and breaking a bunch of the mystery boxes(which i am cool with but it didnt help) and basicaly making the movie more about themes than story. so than you have the final and your hosed either way you go with it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

MrFlibble posted:

But the whole dream attack justification is bullshit. Make it so Kylo was aggressive in training and Luke goes to far in defending himself and you have something thats way more believable.

I believed it. People are flawed. 'Heroes' are way more flawed than most.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

The idea of grumpy old man Luke isn’t innately terrible, but it’s a big idea that needs to be convincingly put forth for people to accept it, and that’s where TFA and TLJ went wrong with it. But the movies don’t want to actually convince you of it, they want you to believe that Luke’s a good dude deep down who will save the day in the end. It’s just kind of schizo. It both exploits and ignores previous material as seems convenient. It’s like the weirdness of Leia apparently remembering her mother better than Luke in 6, but having about five minutes of life to get to know her in 3, only instead of being a vague throwaway line it’s the whole center of the plot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MrFlibble posted:

like i get what johnson was going for and i like luke for the most part in the movie. the whole "maybe i should kill my nephew" thread could be tweaked out better but i genuinly loved the whole finalle with him and kylo and it felt every in lukes character to trick the stupid fucker.

skasion posted:

It just kind of rehashes his transition from killer to peacemaker that the original movies already did. at the same time it portrays him as a dogmatist obsessed with old Jedi teachings, whereas in the original movies he’s the guy who clashes with dogma and reinterprets his masters’ teachings against their will. It’s odd.

does it though? i got more of it him just being done with it all, he was able to save his dad and than he sees it happening all over again and for one brief second thinks about ending it right there and because the force is a bitch, it fucks him over and now he is just hidding away.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Star wars, the movie series about a hero with good intentions becoming a villain shows a hero with good intentions becoming a villain. Fans poo poo themselves.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm actually coming around on disliking the naked saber in the tent moment more and more.

Realistically sure people in the real world don't just go through neat development that can be plorted on an arc and aren't even the same people from day to day if they miss breakfast and get a "we need to talk" text from their SO. But from a narrative character perspective the movie needed to show us the backslide from tossing his lightsaber aside to hug his dad.

One of the things that The Mandalorian is kind of showing by filling in stuff TFA wouldn't even bother giving us a throw-away line to explain from a world-building view is that there's a whole lot of story that got glossed over between the OT and ST.

Like, Star Wars started "in the middle" and it works because that's the first we see of these characters. If you're going to start "in the middle" of your sequel with the story told and the characters established, you need to sell us on why they may be different than when we left them.

Like, it's not TONS better but they at least give us a little setup for what happened to Han:

Han ended the OT having turned from a self-interested smuggler in it for the payday to a General volunteering for a dangerous missions to save the galaxy. In the ST we see he's back to grifting and smuggling and estranged from the love of his life, his wife Leila. But they at least address it, however satisfying or unsatisfying you find the explanation: losing his son to Snoke punched a hole in his life and in his distress he returned to the capers his misspent youth.

There's kind of a "scene missing" card between "I won't fight you, father" and tossing away his saber in the face of two evil wizards responsible for gigadeaths and willing to kill him because of his faith in "the good in you," and contemplating cold blooded murder over not even actions but bad dreams.

I don't exactly hate the story they told, but it needed either connective tissue to tell us what changed Luke, or to ditch the Rashamon thing where even in his own telling he did the way wrong thing and set it up so Kylo's turn was something more than bad thoughts before Luke felt forced to ignite his laser sword.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm really not opposed to doing evil luke, it just needed to be done better. For one thing he needed to actually be evil instead of a secret inspirational hero blah whatever, and for another thing it needed to be better thought out to avoid him being guilty of lots of other unconscionable stuff like not bothering to tell han/leia/any of the other parents of dead and missing children what happened, gas lighting treasure map exercise, etc