Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Qubee posted:

Coop with a beginner

Catastronauts is a strong Overcooked-like, and more familiar than Unrailed. It's more of a "panic and run around" game than Overcooked's "figure out the puzzle", though. Tools Up is another in the genre, I'd put it before Unrailed, but not a must have.

Seconding Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. Nom Nom Galaxy was another hit, and kind of a babby's first factory game. Chariot and Heave Ho are more active, physics based, so might fall into the Snipperclips camp, but could be worth a shot, both have demos on Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

MockingQuantum posted:

I'd agree with everybody saying XCOM, though with the caveat that it's going to take some adjustment compared to FE and Tactics Ogre. Main thing that I had a hard time with when I played it the first time is that you can't really treat your individual troopers as particularly precious-- some (or a lot) of them are going to die over the course of the game and sometimes the best response is just to recruit some more and move on. It won't take long to adjust, though.

Yeah that's going to take some getting used to, losing someone in FE usually leads me to restarting the level, and I don't think I ever lost anyone in Tactics Ogre.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll go with XCOM!

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I'd love a recommendation as I slowly wait for Disco Elysium to come out for PS4.

I have a PS4 (and a dying PS3) and have an eclectic taste in games. I'm a fan of RPGs, JRPGs, adventure, horror, even sand box open world types.

Recent games I've played that I loved were Persona 5, the Dead Space trilogy (RIP), Resident Evil 2 remake, Witcher 3, Nier Automata, Metal Gear Solid 5, Night in the Woods, Stardew Valley.

If it's a recommendation for a JRPG, good story would be a bonus. Persona 5 is probably a rarity in that regard.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

You played Infamous: Second Son? PS4 exclusive, you don't need to know the other Infamous games at all to play it, and I personally found it good enough to do three full playthroughs and get all the trophies. Open world, but not a particularly big one, and you get lots of ways to easily move around it. Other than that its a third person superhero/villain game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm looking for ideas for more games like Forager on PC. The best description I've heard is "the insane power curve of (some) idling games, except without the idling". Any suggestions?

Something like Factorio kiiiinda fits the bill, but weekdays after work I'm too brain-drained (mostly from :420: i admit) to work out that degree of logistical nightmares

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Maybe Graveyard Keeper?

Hilario Baldness posted:

I'd love a recommendation as I slowly wait for Disco Elysium to come out for PS4.

I have a PS4 (and a dying PS3) and have an eclectic taste in games. I'm a fan of RPGs, JRPGs, adventure, horror, even sand box open world types.

Recent games I've played that I loved were Persona 5, the Dead Space trilogy (RIP), Resident Evil 2 remake, Witcher 3, Nier Automata, Metal Gear Solid 5, Night in the Woods, Stardew Valley.

If it's a recommendation for a JRPG, good story would be a bonus. Persona 5 is probably a rarity in that regard.

Have you already played God of War, Spiderman, and Shadow of the Colossus?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Ciaphas posted:

I'm looking for ideas for more games like Forager on PC. The best description I've heard is "the insane power curve of (some) idling games, except without the idling". Any suggestions?

Something like Factorio kiiiinda fits the bill, but weekdays after work I'm too brain-drained (mostly from :420: i admit) to work out that degree of logistical nightmares

mindustry is pretty cool, factorio-lite combined with tower defense, and it's free (pay what you want):
https://anuke.itch.io/mindustry

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I went to investigate Age of Wonders: Planetfall based on the previous page, as I liked the old games and turns out they've just added it to gamepass (Console and PC) in case anyone wanted to check it out. I think there's still the three months for a buck trial floating around as well.

I just upgraded to gamepass ultimate as I'd prefer play AoW on PC and despite still being on a 3 months for £3 trial for the console version it gave me one month for £1 and two months free on top of my existing trial, so I've had gamepass from November through May next year for £4 total :shrug: thanks Microsoft. Turns out that includes Xbox live/Games with Gold too, which I wasn't paying for. Too many games.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 19, 2019

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mayveena posted:

Try Astroneer before Factorio. Easier to get into and the mid game isn’t as crazy.

I've already played Astroneer to death, I don't think I could start a new game. It's a perfect shout though, makes me regret playing it instead of holding onto it for times like this.

Unreal_One posted:

Catastronauts is a strong Overcooked-like, and more familiar than Unrailed. It's more of a "panic and run around" game than Overcooked's "figure out the puzzle", though. Tools Up is another in the genre, I'd put it before Unrailed, but not a must have.

Seconding Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. Nom Nom Galaxy was another hit, and kind of a babby's first factory game. Chariot and Heave Ho are more active, physics based, so might fall into the Snipperclips camp, but could be worth a shot, both have demos on Switch.

Catastronauts seems like a good shout. I don't think Unrailed would be something we'd both enjoy, it seems to pursue stress for the sake of stress, whereas in Overcooked, you're always sort of able to keep on top of it if you get a rhythm going, and messing up once doesn't end the game. Tools Up seems great too! Loads of great recommendations, adding LiaDSP to the list. Nom Nom Galaxy was great back in the day, might get back into it.

On a completely different note, I love logistics games. Anything with supply and demand. It doesn't even have to be from a business standpoint, it could be an RTS with soldiers that are kept fed by baggage trains that can be raided by the enemy.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Astronauts and Factory Town come to mind. And of course the Anno series.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Walh Hara posted:

In my opinion:
- Turn based Games we'll still talk about in 10 years because they're just that good:
-> Divinity Original Sin 2
-> Into the Breach
-> XCOM (2)

The Non-4X turn based game I keep coming back to is Jagged Alliance 2

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

MisterBibs posted:

I'm looking for something in the vein of of a chill (roughly described: game I don't have to think about too hard because I'm listening to a podcast or youtube video) build-up game, ideally with some sort of grindy-but-not-overly-complex part of things.

The ones I've played when I'm in this mood (Stardew Valley, Slime Rancher) are at the point where just the grind remains, and they don't scratch the itch anymore. I've got Graveyard Keeper, but there's enough lemme-look-at-my-spreasheets-to-keep-going that I'd rather avoid.

Euro Trucker is great for chilling out and listening to something while feeling like you're accomplishing something. Once you start opening garages and hiring drivers it's basically an idle game where you make the numbers go up while driving.

Faerie solitaire/harvest are great for when your brain REALLY doesn't work and you just wanna match cards and level pets.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Samopsa posted:

mindustry is pretty cool, factorio-lite combined with tower defense, and it's free (pay what you want):
https://anuke.itch.io/mindustry

I'll give that a look! idk about the stress of tower defense, but mini-Factorio sounds interesting

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Maybe Graveyard Keeper?

I stopped playing that after 15ish hours; it was turning out to be kinda meandering and slow. Maybe it's gotten better since release?

Astroneer might be fun too, if rather a different genre than I was originally thinking. Crashlands, too. If anyone has other suggestions I'd love to hear them!

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

Hilario Baldness posted:

Yakuza 0. Small open world Japanese action/adventure with tons of strange/funny and well written side content.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hilario Baldness posted:

Maybe HellBlade: Senua's Sacrifice? It's story and atmosphere heavy, and it's not new or AAA (i think?) so I don't think it could cost that much.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
This may be the wrong place to ask. And i may be asking after a unicorn. But does anyone know of a good town simulator/strategy game for mobile that isnt just loving awful pay to play? Something like rimworld i guess but dumb and simple on mobile?

I just get real bored on my commute and could use a distraction.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ZeusCannon posted:

This may be the wrong place to ask. And i may be asking after a unicorn. But does anyone know of a good town simulator/strategy game for mobile that isnt just loving awful pay to play? Something like rimworld i guess but dumb and simple on mobile?

Does Mini Metro count?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

rymdkapsel is good. quite old and relatively simple, but worth it

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

ZeusCannon posted:

Pick up a Switch maybe? There are some good town simulators on Switch. Stardew Valley comes to mind immediately and I'm sure there's more.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Qubee posted:

On a completely different note, I love logistics games. Anything with supply and demand. It doesn't even have to be from a business standpoint, it could be an RTS with soldiers that are kept fed by baggage trains that can be raided by the enemy.

Have you tried logistical? It is a game about buying trucks to move goods from where they are produced to where they are consumed. It is module based, and some of the modules are free if you want to check them out

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

ZeusCannon posted:

The Kairosoft games (e.g. Dungeon Village) are pretty sweet, but they do require an initial purchase. No in-app stuff though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

ducttape posted:

Have you tried logistical? It is a game about buying trucks to move goods from where they are produced to where they are consumed. It is module based, and some of the modules are free if you want to check them out

Modules as in DLC? Edit: I tried it out, I love the game's premise. But my god the UI and everything about it is just janky as poo poo. Couldn't continue.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 20, 2019

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Walh Hara posted:

Battle brothers, Invisible inc and Into The Breach are all extremely good games. They're each pretty much the best game in their category.

That said, if you haven't played Divinity Original Sin 2 you really consider playing that because it's probably the best game in it's genre as well, the combat is extremely solid.

In my opinion:
- Turn based Games we'll still talk about in 10 years because they're just that good:
-> Divinity Original Sin 2
-> Into the Breach
-> XCOM (2)

I, and a few others, have mentioned Into the Breach as being pretty great.

It is FREE for the next few hours on Epic. Everyone who enjoys turn based games and doesn't already own it, should grab it.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Tagra posted:

Euro Trucker is great for chilling out and listening to something while feeling like you're accomplishing something. Once you start opening garages and hiring drivers it's basically an idle game where you make the numbers go up while driving.

Faerie solitaire/harvest are great for when your brain REALLY doesn't work and you just wanna match cards and level pets.

I wish this was on console so I could play it from the couch. I'm not really in the position to hook my PC up to my TV.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

I'm looking for something in the vein of of a chill (roughly described: game I don't have to think about too hard because I'm listening to a podcast or youtube video) build-up game, ideally with some sort of grindy-but-not-overly-complex part of things.

The ones I've played when I'm in this mood (Stardew Valley, Slime Rancher) are at the point where just the grind remains, and they don't scratch the itch anymore. I've got Graveyard Keeper, but there's enough lemme-look-at-my-spreasheets-to-keep-going that I'd rather avoid.

Give Satisfactory a look, it's only on the EGS sadly, but it's like a 3d factorio but not nearly as complex. It's still in early access and they are slowly adding new content every few months. The game looks great and being able to watch your factory in a 3d space is very satisfying(you might even say it's satisfactory).

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

ZeusCannon posted:

I think it’s only on iOS but Outlanders is the closest thing I’ve found to a PC-like town simulator.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Qubee posted:

How about Wilmot's Warehouse?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tagra posted:

The Kairosoft games (e.g. Dungeon Village) are pretty sweet, but they do require an initial purchase. No in-app stuff though.

Im ok with initial purchase if the rest of the game is fairly clear of ads etc. Ill take a look at the suggestions from everyone thanks

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Thank you all for suggestions :)

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm giving my 7 year old nephew a pair of Xbox 360 controllers for a laptop he's borrowing indefinitely from me, and I'm looking for a couple of games to get him. I rarely use controllers, so I don't know which games are cool for a 7 year old to play with a friend. I was thinking some twin stick shooters, but I only know Renegade Ops.

The games have to run on an i5-3210M, Geforce GT 630M and 6GB RAM. He's got Rayman Legends on it already.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

I would recommend setting up an emulator for the kid, systems like the snes have great two player games that obviously work well with controllers.
Other games that spring to mind are rocket league, overcooked, broforce, and maybe enter the gungeon?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

kaesarsosei posted:

I wish this was on console so I could play it from the couch. I'm not really in the position to hook my PC up to my TV.

My "TV" is actually a linux box so I just use Steam streaming for couch gaming.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

We saw Star Wars and it made me want a flight game. Not a realistic flight sim where you need to know all your flaps and have an aviation joystick, and not an on-rails shooter. I just want to get into a flying vehicle of some sort and dick around exploring a desert planet zipping through canyons and trying to land on cool looking rocks. Basically I want a modern free flight mode from Pilotwings.

I picked up "Feather" on Steam and it's actually pretty close to what I want, but I want something bigger and with more exploration goals. Does anything out there exist for that niche?

Maybe I should see if GTAV has mods to unlock free flight without the military getting all up your rear end...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My top recommendation for a game about flying around a desert is Rogue Squadron II – Rogue Leader or Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike. The tutorial levels for both are just fooling around flying on Tatooine and finding secrets. Those probably fit your purpose the best, so good luck trying to either wrangle a physical copy and a gamecube or an emulator and :files:. More easily available is Star Wars: Starfighter, which is sort of a spiritual predecessor (or knock-off, considering its development history) that I've never played but looks nice in screenshots.

For more easily-available games, maybe No Man Sky or Elite Dangerous, although I'm not sure whether they're great for flying in-atmosphere?
Spaceflight sims are a bit of an under-served genre these days. There's plenty of older games on GOG, but all the ones I've played tend to just take place in the empty void of space, and all the actual-plane games I've played fall either into too-complicated simulators or thrust you into more action than you're asking for, like with World of Warplanes or War Thunder.

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Ace Combat 7 perhaps? Not really free flight but it doesn't require $200 worth of peripherals.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Hilario Baldness posted:

Resident evil 7 or Prey

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Hilario Baldness posted:

You've played Bloodborne and Monster Hunter World, right? They're must-haves.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Tagra posted:

We saw Star Wars and it made me want a flight game. Not a realistic flight sim where you need to know all your flaps and have an aviation joystick, and not an on-rails shooter. I just want to get into a flying vehicle of some sort and dick around exploring a desert planet zipping through canyons and trying to land on cool looking rocks. Basically I want a modern free flight mode from Pilotwings.

My first thought was also rogue squadron.

If you have a console, Starlink might scratch this itch. The toys to play model failed, and the digital deluxe which unlocks all the weapons and ships is regularly on sale. It’s a flying game with space and atmosphere flying, and a more hovercraft combat mode, which traditional Ubisoft open world exploration and objectives.

If you have an Xbox or are willing to dig around for abandonware on PC, Crimson Skies was pretty great and had open levels to fly around as a sky pirate.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I would recommend elite but its been a bit since i played it. I do remember it having a wonderful feeling of exploration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tagra posted:

Outer Wilds is GOAT for trying to land on cool looking rocks