Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

So is the movie good?

its the greatest movie of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Amethyst posted:

No you delusional weirdos are still bottom of the pile. Sorry.

this. for all their issues, i have fun watching TFA and TLJ. i tried watching the prequels with my friends and its loving miserable/boring.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Amethyst posted:

No you delusional weirdos are still bottom of the pile. Sorry.

Wrong

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

This poster is a huge fan of Artifact: The DOTA Trading Card Game.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. for all their issues, i have fun watching TFA and TLJ. i tried watching the prequels with my friends and its loving miserable/boring.

Just lol if you’re looking to have fun watching Star Wars

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Amethyst posted:

This poster is a huge fan of Artifact: The DOTA Trading Card Game.

Played it for 60 hours :)

General Dog posted:

For real lol.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'll watch any of the prequels over TFA.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
With all the clips and still frames out there, can we assemble the movie yet?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ghostinmyshell posted:

With all the clips and still frames out there, can we assemble the movie yet?

Disney couldn't, you can't do any worse.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

nemesis_hub posted:

The vindication of Lucas and the Chad prequel-likers couldn’t have happened in a funnier way.

every time someone on the internet goes 'y'know maybe the prequels weren't that bad' in the next few days i will grow stronger and more empowered

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Thank you for your input, man with a Doctor Who avatar.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
i was born in the eighties and for years i couldn't tell star wars and spaceballs apart

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Rewatching the phantom menace recently made me realize I like this movie more than the sequel trilogy plus spin offs lol. Wild. Some annoying parts but drat at least it went somewhere. The sequel trilogy I still have no idea who or why the first order is a thing

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Seyser Koze posted:

i was born in the eighties and for years i couldn't tell star wars and spaceballs apart

ah, we found the guy who wrote poe's 'your mom' joke

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the worst prequel is better than all the sequels combined

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Brother Entropy posted:

every time someone on the internet goes 'y'know maybe the prequels weren't that bad' in the next few days i will grow stronger and more empowered

I haven't seen episodes 2 and 3 since they were in theaters (and I last watched TPM in a film criticism class in 2006 or so) and if nothing else, the sequels have given me an appreciation for how they at least attempted to do worldbuilding. Jesus.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

waiting eagerly for the tepid burn

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Rewatching the phantom menace recently made me realize I like this movie more than the sequel trilogy plus spin offs lol. Wild. Some annoying parts but drat at least it went somewhere. The sequel trilogy I still have no idea who or why the first order is a thing

Interesting. Your brain doesn't work right. Whenever a thought forms in that rats nest it loses it's way, before spilling out of your gaping mouth twisted and deformed, embarrassing everyone in the vicinity on your behalf.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Gonz posted:

Huey Lewis hard at work on the soundtrack.

I don't need Dooku, don't feel shame
Don't need no Chosen One to help me reign
I'm strong in the Dark Side and I'm cruel sometimes
And I might just take your life
That's the power of Sheev
That's the power of Sheev

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Amethyst posted:

Interesting. Your brain doesn't work right. Whenever a thought forms in that rats nest it loses it's way, before spilling out of your gaping mouth twisted and deformed, embarrassing everyone in the vicinity on your behalf.

Ok weirdo!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

cuntman.net posted:

COunterpoint: shut up. Shut the gently caress up you god damned idiot.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

cuntman.net posted:

You shouldn't watch any of them, what the gently caress are you fighting over here? Who lies on top of the mass grave of lovely opinions?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Watching movies distract from posting. You're allowed to have them in the background (preferably with a commentary track) but anything more involved lacks the necessary detachment.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

cuntman.net posted:

Let’s form an alliance

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

cuntman.net posted:

:agreed:

Hell, The Ewok Adventures are better than the sequel trilogy

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Amethyst posted:

COunterpoint: shut up. Shut the gently caress up you god damned idiot.
^^^^^^
Prequelchads coolly take the W yet again

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

already the battle lines are being drawn for years of 'which trilogy was worse' arguments

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Sorry amethyst looks you’re wrong. I’m sorry.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

General Dog posted:

i usually have fun watching star wars. its a particular skill of mine

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Brother Entropy posted:

ah, we found the guy who wrote poe's 'your mom' joke

Please. "Your mother" jokes are beneath the dignity of the Mel Brooks school. :c00lbutt:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Let’s form an alliance

hell yea we can rebel or something against, i dunno, prequel haters who are evil and jerks

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Spaceballs is that one with Bruce Willis, right?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i am beginning to think its morally questionable to give disney any more money though

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Amethyst posted:

Imagine going this hard in the paint for the sequels lol

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

YaketySass posted:

Spaceballs is that one with Bruce Willis, right?

Nah, it's the one with Dennis Hopper transporting a freight of alien sex toys.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Zas posted:

i usually have fun watching star wars. its a particular skill of mine

Whoa, check out this loving guy.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

It's actually cool and good to call people stupid for liking bad things.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The prequels and the sequels are equally bad for different yet incredibly grating albeit fascinating reasons.

On one hand you have the tyranny of Lucas, who lorded over production like a petty tyrant from his director's chair with a starbucks cup in one hand and his eyes fixated on a massive green screen. On the other hand, you have the tyranny of Disney executives and shareholders, where the blame falls an ever widening number of ways, it's like a mystery onion - JJ? Rian? Kathleen? Bob himself? Who knows!

The prequels have all this unique visual imagery that largely doesn't hand, and on the other hand, you have the most loving derivative visual design I have ever seen in my loving life oh my god how loving low effort is everything in the Sequel Trilogy. Seriously, loving TIE Daggers? The Resistance X-Wings are even worse! It's all bigger and loving dumber with no heart and no purpose. The stupid crossguard saber! The lady boba fett knockoff! There's not a single original idea in there!

MinisterSinister
Dec 17, 2019

riseofmydick posted:

I must be weird because I think Kylo/Ben are the worst loving part of TFA and the whole thing is telegraphed from a mile away.

I remember people hating Anakin's portrayal in the prequels because he was too whiny, and then they brought back a character who's the exact same loving thing and It really is loving poo poo.

Kylo/Ren do not interest me at all in this series. The only way to make them interesting at all (and even then it was dumb) is to have them as like twin emperors or something.

The issues with this movie and TLJ are still down to the fact that TFA is a lovely, lovely film, and bad remake of ANH.

Literally everything in the drat thing except Finn is unsalvageable. The whole plot line doesn't make sense as a sequel to ROTJ.

I don't think a character being "whiny" is necessarily a bad thing if it makes sense in the story. The problem is that Anakin wasn't given a good reason to be a whiny bitch with anger issues. At least Kylo had the whole "betrayed by his trusted master" thing, stupid as it was.

But I agree, the whole thing faltered from the start and it is very clear that they had no good plan for this trilogy. The whole thing manages to feel both very conventional and played out while also being directionless and floundering.

Also, weighing in on the Prequels vs. Sequels debate here:

I think the Prequels have a much better meta-plot but they are overall worse movies due to poor character direction, an awful script, and really bad VFX in the second movie in particular. TFA is a rehash of ANH but at least it has fun, likable characters who are acted and directed appropriately. TLJ is slightly below RotS though in terms of quality. I think RotS, while still very flawed, is more coherent, and the bad parts are at least entertaining. TLJ felt like a loving fever dream.

I think the Sequels have done more damage to the overall universe, though. Again, the fairly good meta-plot about the rise of Space Hitler at least gives plenty of room for expanding on the story and the universe in the Prequels, whereas the Sequels have nothing original or interesting to base any expanded content off of. They are a husk of Star Wars.

MinisterSinister fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

the prequels do not have "unique visual imagery"

if that's true then the bold and the beautiful is also a visual marvel. You are a culturally limited dweeb if you believe there is anything creative about the visuals in the loving phantom menace. gently caress you.