Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I tried the Narcos game tonight. It's a TBS, like X-Com, in the trailers! It's actually the Banner Saga again. You alternate moving and shooting one guy.

I get a mission to defend a dude. Each enemy turn, a different bad guy sprints at the asset and fires with no self preservation, kiilling him in three turns while I can do nothing to prevent this. Fun !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Evilreaver posted:

He really liked MechWarrior Online so this might be the last red flag to :sever:

I get where you're coming from. A friend of mine convinced me to get the Call of Duty to play with him, and I regret folding on that. It's not as mechanically annoying as Mech Warrior sounds, but it is also pretty much the same game they've been putting out for over a decade. Even when running and gunning with my buddy, I tend to zone out because it's just so boring.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Leal posted:

Thing dragging down skyrim is how you generally should be completely restarting if you're trying out mods, which means while you're onsie twosie testing things to make sure you installed them right, you gotta go through the whole start up rigamarole every god drat time :mad:

There's a mod for that!

Alternate Start - Live Another Life lets you skip the whole opening sequence: You wake up in a prison cell, make your character choices, then choose where in the world you want to start. So if you're just testing things and don't give a crap about your character, it's only a couple mouse clicks before you're in game. No cart, no Helgen, no dragon.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
So, I finally started playing MGS V: TPP after having it in my library for over a year and holy gently caress this is the dumbest pile of poo poo ever. The loving hospital intro lasts for loving ages during which there's uncountable scenes where you almost get killed by something then something saves you out of nowhere, not to mention the stupid horse chase, and then when I get to the first mission to rescue a guy, the gas guys surround me and I first try to take the obvious clear road out only to get yelled at for "you're abandoning the mission???" what the gently caress is wrong with you, why not land in that direction instead. So I have to loving ride past them to escape and then they go as fast as the loving horse does despite the overwatch guy 'giving helpful advice to 'run faster'' like no poo poo, idiot, and I take like 3 hits that are completely unavoidable because how the gently caress else are you supposed to get out of there.

Uninstalled it, 'deleted it' from my account, never looking back. What a humongous pile of stupid poo poo that game is.

e. checked steam reviews. why the gently caress is it 95% positive... dev cultists I guess

Ambaire has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Dec 19, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I can't deny it's the roughest of starts but it turns into one of the most fun things I've ever played :shrug:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’ll give you the intro is really slow and boring, but if you’re turned off by things such as ‘supernatural enemies do supernatural things’ and ‘enemies shoot at me’ it doesn’t sound like you enjoy many games at all.

The game also starts to get really good right at the moment you stopped playing.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

MGSV is one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played, certainly in the top 10. Sometimes people are really just looking for completely different things in their games I guess.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

moosecow333 posted:

I’ll give you the intro is really slow and boring, but if you’re turned off by things such as ‘supernatural enemies do supernatural things’ and ‘enemies shoot at me’ it doesn’t sound like you enjoy many games at all.

The game also starts to get really good right at the moment you stopped playing.

Try actually reading the post instead of skimming it and replying to a couple hot words. Also, nowhere did I say I disliked specifically the supernatural enemies.

Ambaire has a new favorite as of 01:28 on Dec 19, 2019

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ambaire posted:

Try actually reading the post instead of skimming it and replying to a couple hot words. Also, nowhere did I say I disliked specifically the supernatural enemies.

I'll get the calipers.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Ambaire posted:

So, I finally started playing MGS V: TPP after having it in my library for over a year and holy gently caress this is the dumbest pile of poo poo ever. The loving hospital intro lasts for loving ages during which there's uncountable scenes where you almost get killed by something then something saves you out of nowhere, not to mention the stupid horse chase, and then when I get to the first mission to rescue a guy, the gas guys surround me and I first try to take the obvious clear road out only to get yelled at for "you're abandoning the mission???" what the gently caress is wrong with you, why not land in that direction instead. So I have to loving ride past them to escape and then they go as fast as the loving horse does despite the overwatch guy 'giving helpful advice to 'run faster'' like no poo poo, idiot, and I take like 3 hits that are completely unavoidable because how the gently caress else are you supposed to get out of there.

Uninstalled it, 'deleted it' from my account, never looking back. What a humongous pile of stupid poo poo that game is.

e. checked steam reviews. why the gently caress is it 95% positive... dev cultists I guess

didn't knew DSP had a forums account

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Ambaire posted:

It's ok not to like things but claiming that one of the best games of the decade is only popular because of "dev cultists" is the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Ambaire posted:

So, I finally started playing MGS V: TPP after having it in my library for over a year and holy gently caress this is the dumbest pile of poo poo ever. The loving hospital intro lasts for loving ages during which there's uncountable scenes where you almost get killed by something then something saves you out of nowhere, not to mention the stupid horse chase,

Up to this point, I agree with you completely. The hospital / horse chase absolutely dragged.

quote:

and then when I get to the first mission to rescue a guy, the gas guys surround me and I first try to take the obvious clear road out only to get yelled at for "you're abandoning the mission???" what the gently caress is wrong with you, why not land in that direction instead. So I have to loving ride past them to escape and then they go as fast as the loving horse does despite the overwatch guy 'giving helpful advice to 'run faster'' like no poo poo, idiot, and I take like 3 hits that are completely unavoidable because how the gently caress else are you supposed to get out of there.

From what I gathered here, it sounds like you tried to just flee from the Skull guys. Makes sense, yes, but the game wants you to figure out a way past them, so time to try different things. It took me a few tries to figure out how to distract them and scoot past without getting killed. So, it sounds like you're just very impatient, or you just want to shoot your way through everything? Have you played any other MG games? Just seems like you're getting angry that you were asked to problem solve. Sometimes it takes some time and planning to figure out a solution instead of going OMG THIS IS HORRIBLE gently caress EVERYONE WHO LIKES THIS.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nostradingus posted:

It's ok not to like things but claiming that one of the best games of the decade is only popular because of "dev cultists" is the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard

I mean I'd be pretty salty if I quit there too

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
The Skull guys only get worse the further you go in the game, culminating in Metallic Archaea where you actually have to kill the fuckers and it takes goddamn forever and the entire game becomes a wet fart shortly thereafter anyway.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kicking Skull rear end is the highlight of the game for me. Clown the fuckers.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

The Zombie Guy posted:

From what I gathered here, it sounds like you tried to just flee from the Skull guys. Makes sense, yes, but the game wants you to figure out a way past them, so time to try different things.

You can absolutely just hop on the horse and run away from them. They don't follow you forever.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inco posted:

The Skull guys only get worse the further you go in the game, culminating in Metallic Archaea where you actually have to kill the fuckers and it takes goddamn forever and the entire game becomes a wet fart shortly thereafter anyway.

I just shot them and they died.

But yeah they were kind of a lame addition to the game.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Captain Hygiene posted:

I can't deny it's the roughest of starts but it turns into one of the most fun things I've ever played :shrug:

Same here, the actual gameplay is literally some of the most fun I've ever had on my ps4, it's wonderful. For about a decade my favorite stealth game of all time was Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, and it was finally MGSV that unseated it. God drat theres nothing quite like ghosting an entire base and fultoning them under the cover of darkness as they never quite figure it out, it feels drat near surgical.

And hey, if you just wanna kill poo poo and don't care about your mission ranking, just airlift a tank to yourself and drive to the end of the level killing everybody, or call down mortar fire on everything around you, or call in helicopter air support to shred everything to dust. The game has a brilliant way of selecting your difficulty like that, you'll limit yourself to A-rank instead of S-ranking missions but who gives a gently caress, S-ranks are best earned through replaying levels with way beefier equipment anyway, but only do that if you care and no one really does.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 06:52 on Dec 19, 2019

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Schubalts posted:

You can absolutely just hop on the horse and run away from them. They don't follow you forever.
That's kinda what they encourage you to do the first time you play the game.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Croccers posted:

That's kinda what they encourage you to do the first time you play the game.

Yes, this is exactly what the guy on overwatch was telling me, too. "You've got to get out of there!" Tried going up the cliff but there didn't seem to be a way besides past them, and I was panicking a bit IRL.

The Zombie Guy posted:

From what I gathered here, it sounds like you tried to just flee from the Skull guys. Makes sense, yes, but the game wants you to figure out a way past them, so time to try different things. It took me a few tries to figure out how to distract them and scoot past without getting killed. So, it sounds like you're just very impatient, or you just want to shoot your way through everything? Have you played any other MG games? Just seems like you're getting angry that you were asked to problem solve. Sometimes it takes some time and planning to figure out a solution instead of going OMG THIS IS HORRIBLE gently caress EVERYONE WHO LIKES THIS.

Problem solve what, exactly? The game didn't give me any clue that there was an alternative way to do that encounter. And for the record, I have 800 hours in Factorio, 600 in Oxygen Not Included, and 500+ in Kerbal Space Program.. I love optimizing stuff and solving problems when the game gives me even the slightest idea that it can be done different ways. The loving hospital had a single way to solve each encounter (run away, mostly), so why should the skull fuckers be any different?

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Ambaire posted:

Problem solve what, exactly? The game didn't give me any clue that there was an alternative way to do that encounter. And for the record, I have 800 hours in Factorio, 600 in Oxygen Not Included, and 500+ in Kerbal Space Program.. I love optimizing stuff and solving problems when the game gives me even the slightest idea that it can be done different ways. The loving hospital had a single way to solve each encounter (run away, mostly), so why should the skull fuckers be any different?

Because that's the essential nature of MGS gameplay, really. You've got a bunch of tools, an open space full of people to render unconscious or murder, and it's up to you to figure it out from there.

The intro is...bad. I quite enjoyed the hospital sequence the first time through but it's a complete drag any time after that and a barrier to getting to the actual game, but the actual game is very very good. The first Skulls fight isn't a part of the game I particularly enjoy tbh (I didn't like any of the Skulls fights very much) but you can just stealth away from them - or just book it, which works just fine - and then the game actually opens up and lets you get to the core gameplay of dicking around ruining people's day with balloons.

small ghost has a new favorite as of 12:45 on Dec 19, 2019

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
And here's a few snippets of why exactly I think that hospital intro was so loving stupid.

The lady assassin spends loving forever lining up a shot with the pistol when she could have taken a quick shot and ended it. Artificial stupidity to tell a 'story'. Then when she gets over by the wall, she just stands there while the other guy throws stuff instead of taking quick action. More Artificial stupidity and/or Idiot balls.

Let's not even talk about the idiotic soldiers who've never heard of looking under stuff or getting on the floor and sweeping the area. There's at least 3 or 4 times or more where the protagonist would have died a quick death if not for the Artificial stupidity imposed upon the opposing force by hideo kojima. When the patient was grabbing onto Snake under the bed, the soldier just did something with the patient and ignored under the bed and his foot should've been visible... In the room with curtains, if one of them had just ducked on the ground, it would've been over.

And then when the soldiers are sweeping the hallway and snake and the other guy are pretending to be dead and the soldiers are shooting each to ensure they're dead, why the gently caress didn't they gun down Snake when he was obviously not dead.

And the supernatural enemies are fed even more idiot balls / artificial stupidity, disposing of the soldiers efficiently but taunting Snake/etc instead of killing them, too?

And the chopper just fired a missile above the tunnel and didn't follow the van to the other side of the tunnel.. I've played helicopter sims, I know how maneuverable they are, and it could easily have strafed to the other side and blown the van the gently caress up after it took the tumble.

And then with the loving horse chase, the fire guy had a loving winged horse but went on the ground like whyyyy.

Hideo Kojima seems addicted to narrow 'escapes'... by about 2/3 of the way through the hospital, it was honestly getting boring. "What stupidity is he going to inflict upon the enemies this time", etc.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I bet you're fun to watch dumb action movies with

Because you're playing the videogame equivalent of a dumb action movie

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is there some pressing reason you need everyone to agree with your opinion, or are you just trying to justify a conclusion you jumped to too early in the game?

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Ambaire posted:

And here's a few snippets of why exactly I think that hospital intro was so loving stupid.

The lady assassin spends loving forever lining up a shot with the pistol when she could have taken a quick shot and ended it. Artificial stupidity to tell a 'story'. Then when she gets over by the wall, she just stands there while the other guy throws stuff instead of taking quick action. More Artificial stupidity and/or Idiot balls.

Let's not even talk about the idiotic soldiers who've never heard of looking under stuff or getting on the floor and sweeping the area. There's at least 3 or 4 times or more where the protagonist would have died a quick death if not for the Artificial stupidity imposed upon the opposing force by hideo kojima. When the patient was grabbing onto Snake under the bed, the soldier just did something with the patient and ignored under the bed and his foot should've been visible... In the room with curtains, if one of them had just ducked on the ground, it would've been over.

And then when the soldiers are sweeping the hallway and snake and the other guy are pretending to be dead and the soldiers are shooting each to ensure they're dead, why the gently caress didn't they gun down Snake when he was obviously not dead.

And the supernatural enemies are fed even more idiot balls / artificial stupidity, disposing of the soldiers efficiently but taunting Snake/etc instead of killing them, too?

And the chopper just fired a missile above the tunnel and didn't follow the van to the other side of the tunnel.. I've played helicopter sims, I know how maneuverable they are, and it could easily have strafed to the other side and blown the van the gently caress up after it took the tumble.

And then with the loving horse chase, the fire guy had a loving winged horse but went on the ground like whyyyy.

Hideo Kojima seems addicted to narrow 'escapes'... by about 2/3 of the way through the hospital, it was honestly getting boring. "What stupidity is he going to inflict upon the enemies this time", etc.

Look, I don't think anyone disagrees with you that the intro is bad, it's pretty bad. It's just not at all similar to the actual game, which you've not played.

Genuine question: have you played any other Metal Gear Solid games? Because they operate on something between action movie logic and anime logic, pretty much. I don't think the intro is particularly indicative of Kojima's work and obsessions (the philosophy of war and asses, mostly) but you seem hella chippy about him personally in a way that doesn't really make sense based on just playing the intro to MGSV.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

people are entitled to video game opinion. i hope dude bought mgs5 when it was 5$

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I have to say most of my complaints about Far Cry 5 have disappeared since I found a bear named Cheeseburger who I can just sic on people. My boy took out a whole Outpost, all I had to do was watch and shoot the alarms.

Wait till you also unlock Peaches.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
First of all, you're really not winning any points by linking to TV Tropes. Especially not linking to the same page three times.

Second of all, I think you're simultaneously overthinking and underthinking this, deliberately ignoring things to justify your own bad mood. I think you don't understand the concept of dramatics, either, or doing things for effect. The hospital sequence isn't great, but your specific complaints seem to specifically ring false.

What you call 'artificial stupidity' on the part of the sweeping guards is pretty clearly combining dramatic close shaves with 'hey, this game is about sneaking and you're playing a character who is good at hiding'. It's not exactly the most subtle way to introduce you to the concept, but Kojima's career is an ongoing lesson in telling us that it doesn't matter how loudly and clearly you make your point, people will still miss it. Yeah, the entire hospital scene is an ongoing series of close calls. It's actually teaching you about the same hiding skills you'll be using for most of the game, showing you the importance of hiding out of immediate view, keeping still, staying behind cover, using your surroundings.

You're constantly facing close shaves in there, but it's not really luck, or the stupidity of the enemies; they're sweeping these rooms just like they actually should, because what they're coming to do is 'kill patients in a hospital'. It would actually be uncharacteristically stupid for them to find you in your hiding places in that sequence, because most people in a hospital aren't the type to hide tremendously well! It's more time-efficient for them to keep going through the rooms without checking hiding places, because the chance that people in a long-stay hospital can actually hide worth a drat are pretty small. You just happen to be good at literally exactly that.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ambaire posted:

So I have to loving ride past them to escape and then they go as fast as the loving horse does despite the overwatch guy 'giving helpful advice to 'run faster'' like no poo poo, idiot, and I take like 3 hits that are completely unavoidable because how the gently caress else are you supposed to get out of there.

They go as fast as the horse but they stop following pretty quick. You get injured, yes, but if you don't slow down it's easy to get away from that first encounter without dying. If you slow down or take a wrong turn they can kill you though.

The hospital is painfully slow, I admit.

But yeah maybe everyone else who likes the game is wrong.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Sunswipe posted:

Is there some pressing reason you need everyone to agree with your opinion, or are you just trying to justify a conclusion you jumped to too early in the game?

It's called 'defending oneself from irrational accusations', and this seems to be another.

Cleretic posted:

First of all, you're really not winning any points by linking to TV Tropes. Especially not linking to the same page three times.

This isn't Reddit, and we don't seem to have a karma scoring system, so how is that relevant?

im pooping! posted:

people are entitled to video game opinion. i hope dude bought mgs5 when it was 5$

Captain Hygiene posted:

I mean I'd be pretty salty if I quit there too

Inco posted:

Nuebot posted:

I just shot them and they died.

But yeah they were kind of a lame addition to the game.

Thanks for not attacking me or my post.

Werong Bustope posted:

Look, I don't think anyone disagrees with you that the intro is bad, it's pretty bad. It's just not at all similar to the actual game, which you've not played.

Genuine question: have you played any other Metal Gear Solid games? Because they operate on something between action movie logic and anime logic, pretty much. I don't think the intro is particularly indicative of Kojima's work and obsessions (the philosophy of war and asses, mostly) but you seem hella chippy about him personally in a way that doesn't really make sense based on just playing the intro to MGSV.

Nope, hadn't played any others.

So I just spent 30 minutes on the MGS wiki looking up stuff, and here's where I went wrong: I had assumed MGS5 was a spiritual sequel, and not a literal sequel that required knowledge of the other games to have the slightest idea of what was going on in 5. Now that I actually have an idea of what was going on, I can see how the stuff fit, and I think I'm gonna give it another try.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Ambaire posted:

lol, get a load of this guy

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ambaire posted:

So I just spent 30 minutes on the MGS wiki looking up stuff, and here's where I went wrong: I had assumed MGS5 was a spiritual sequel, and not a literal sequel that required knowledge of the other games to have the slightest idea of what was going on in 5. Now that I actually have an idea of what was going on, I can see how the stuff fit, and I think I'm gonna give it another try.

...it's the fifth one. It's got the number 5 in its name.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cleretic posted:

...it's the fifth one. It's got the number 5 in its name.

Not always indicative of direct sequels. Final Fantasy is a series that has very very few direct sequels within it's long rear end life.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I don't think there's been a single mainline Metal Gear game that wasn't directly tied into the others. I'm pretty sure even weird rear end spin offs like Acid are part of the overarching storyline. One of the common things known about MG is the sprawling, batshit "Spread across a boatload of games" plot. Thinking one is a spiritual sequel is not particularly a failing of the game itself, since I am pretty sure it was never advertised as such.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

its difficult enough to understand even if you have played all the others. for a series that aged poorly i can only imagine reading what must be a total cf of a wiki synopsis may be a significant hurdle to playing them out of sequence. i will recommend chip and ironicus LPs because they are cool and good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
what kind of jamoke links tvtropes articles in two thousand and loving nineteen

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Ravenfood posted:

Not always indicative of direct sequels. Final Fantasy is a series that has very very few direct sequels within it's long rear end life.

Yeah but that was the groundwork laid out since the second. Outside of JRPGs you can generally assume continuity is followed.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

If you want to get a feel for the series - and Phantom Pain is 100% the least OTT and crazy of the lot, in many ways - you can't go wrong with watching Chip & Ironicus' LP of MGS3. It's a pretty good crash course in Metal Gear insanity from the ridiculously convoluted plots to the verbose musings on the nature of war, to the demented level of attention to detail and weird poo poo you can do.

But yeah, I don't think there was ever any indication that PP isn't a mainline plot game? It follows on pretty directly from Ground Zeroes. It's not a bad entry point for the series in all honesty, the plot is kind of silo'd off for much of the game and is about 4 steps less insane than usual even when you know all the backstory (and...frontstory? PP is a midquel) so it's more accessible for newcomers to the series who might enjoy the central gameplay loop, so long as they can make it through the poorly thought through intro.

If I do have a single big criticism of Phantom Pain, having played it through, other than the fact it's depressingly unfinished, it's that it's not insane enough for a metal gear game. You're gonna give me a whole game of hanging out with Ocelot and he's like...passingly sane? And low-key? Excuse me? I mean, I guess there are plot reasons why he's less Ocelot than normal but still, disappointing. He barely even hits on Big Boss once :saddowns:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

im pooping! posted:

its difficult enough to understand even if you have played all the others. for a series that aged poorly i can only imagine reading what must be a total cf of a wiki synopsis may be a significant hurdle to playing them out of sequence. i will recommend chip and ironicus LPs because they are cool and good.

C&I are fantastic, but I think people would be genuinely surprised in how much series knowledge you don't need to properly understand any single Metal Gear. My first Metal Gear game was MGS2, which is probably the most obtuse one to start in with because so much of it is explicitly relating back to MGS1; it's debatably even worse than 4, because 4's a lot more overt about when it's doing callbacks.

But I don't think it hinders any individual game, because they do try to make the story itself very self-contained. You don't need to play MGS1 to 'get' MGS2, because any reference that's truly important they'll directly address, and anything else just reads as quirky set dressing unless you recognize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Cleretic posted:

C&I are fantastic, but I think people would be genuinely surprised in how much series knowledge you don't need to properly understand any single Metal Gear. My first Metal Gear game was MGS2, which is probably the most obtuse one to start in with because so much of it is explicitly relating back to MGS1; it's debatably even worse than 4, because 4's a lot more overt about when it's doing callbacks.

But I don't think it hinders any individual game, because they do try to make the story itself very self-contained. You don't need to play MGS1 to 'get' MGS2, because any reference that's truly important they'll directly address, and anything else just reads as quirky set dressing unless you recognize it.

This is also true. MGS3 was my first entry into the series and while it's more self contained than the others, there's a lot that just washes over you if you don't know all the established lore but it never really matters. What was interesting with PP for me was how many of my friends who'd never played a Metal Gear game before ended up loving it despite having no clue why anything was happening or who anyone was. There's only really three things you actually need to know about any given Metal Gear Solid game, unless you're a big nerd for the setting:

1) War is bad
2) Butts are good
3) box friend