Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If I'm ever an IK, I'm giving everyone who posts on the then-current page of this thread a 6er out of spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

If I'm ever an IK, I'm giving everyone who posts on the then-current page of this thread a 6er out of spite.

That's a very strong cover letter.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Can you 6'er yourself?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Stravag posted:

Can you 6'er yourself?

if I ever become IK I will sixer myself for every sixer I hand out

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

We used to have cop lounge threads until '15 or so I think. I also think that was the last time we had a "ask a cop" thread.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Smiling Jack posted:

We used to have cop lounge threads until '15 or so I think. I also think that was the last time we had a "ask a cop" thread.

Maybe because 2015 was the high water mark of cops killing black guys and most people decided to stop pretending they were anything other than an occupying force.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

iwentdoodie posted:

Maybe because 2015 was the high water mark of cops killing black guys and most people decided to stop pretending they were anything other than an occupying force.

hmmm and then again maybe not

thank you for your contribution to the discourse citizen

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

would this be a bad time to mention my amazing healthcare and pension system

it's loving amazing

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

iwentdoodie posted:

But if that was the high water mark does that mean things have gotten better?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Flikken posted:

But if that was the high water mark does that mean things have gotten better?

Can't speak for national numbers but 2015 was one of the lowest years in history for NYPD shootings. 23 shoots for 8 deaths. Down from 59 shoots in 2005.

2018 had 17 shooting incidents.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 19, 2019

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

Can't speak for national numbers but 2015 was one of the lowest years in history for NYPD shootings. 23 shoots for 8 deaths. Down from 59 shoots in 2005.

Yes but being NYPD, how many shots fired?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Flikken posted:

Hold on, let me look up the publicly available report. NYPD is one of the only departments that tracks and reports every firearms discharge.

quote:

Officers discharged a total of 306 rounds during ID-AC incidents in 2015, an increase of 34.8% from 2014
when 227 rounds were fired, but still 8% lower than the total of 331 recorded in 2012. The majority of
officers fired five rounds or fewer (65%) during incidents of adversarial conflict. The most common number
of rounds fired by an officer was two to five rounds (36%). Six officers fired more than 15 rounds,
constituting 11% of the total numbers of officers involved in an ID-AC incident (see Figure 20)

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

Hold on, let me look up the publicly available report. NYPD is one of the only departments that tracks and reports every firearms discharge.

You're kinda killing my joke here

The NYPD are bad shots

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Flikken posted:

:lol:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Well, if anyone's interested, here's the reports:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/stats/reports-analysis/use-of-force.page

Why this is not required nationally I have no idea.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd rather have body cameras and then deal with the problem of cops circumventing them than go back to before.

I hear many people, including the police themselves, say that there's a real problem with them being the place the buck stops with regard to a lot of neglected social problems, like homelessness and mental illnesses.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Smiling Jack. Does the NYPD still have it's ridiculous rules about trigger pull weight?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Flikken posted:

Smiling Jack. Does the NYPD still have it's ridiculous rules about trigger pull weight?

Yes. Given the level of training we get it's probably for the best.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

Yes. Given the level of training we get it's probably for the best.

....just wow.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Flikken posted:

....just wow.

I don't want to try and explain DA/SA to some of my co-workers. With the exception of transit, "don't take your fuckin gun out" seems to be the current shift in culture as the new attitudes of the trend setting units (narco, anti-crime) percolates into patrol culture.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

I don't want to try and explain DA/SA to some of my co-workers. With the exception of transit, "don't take your fuckin gun out" seems to be the current shift in culture as the new attitudes of the trend setting units (narco, anti-crime) percolates into patrol culture.

Yeah, but your issued Glocks have a trigger set at a higher pull weight.......for......reasons?

Disclaimer:
I bought an ex NYPD P226 DAO years back and I'm good with it but not as good as other pistols I own.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Flikken posted:

Yeah, but your issued Glocks have a trigger set at a higher pull weight.......for......reasons?

Glock leg. The original NYPD revolver swivel holsters required you to stick your index finger in the holster to wedge the gun past the retention rod (yes this is a dumb as it sounds) and when they switched to the Glock muscle memory and stupidity led to a lot of NDs.

Ray Kelly also hated guns and demanded that requirement.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

Glock leg. The original NYPD revolver swivel holsters required you to stick your index finger in the holster to wedge the gun past the retention rod (yes this is a dumb as it sounds) and when they switched to the Glock muscle memory and stupidity led to a lot of NDs.

Ray Kelly also hated guns and demanded that requirement.

So instead of training officers to safely handle firearms they handicap them making it more difficult to shoot accurately when they need to?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Flikken posted:

So instead of training officers to safely handle firearms they handicap them making it more difficult to shoot accurately when they need to?

How do you post in this forum and react with surprise to that?

A classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfONckOPyaI&t=6s

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Godholio posted:

How do you post in this forum and react with surprise to that?

A classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfONckOPyaI&t=6s

Because police training in America is broken and I like poking fun at the NYPD.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Flikken posted:

Equipment based solutions to training based problems are a time honored method.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I didn't realize it was sarcasm, whoops.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
God drat. "I'm out" and "later" followed by a quad post is some pro level poo poo.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Silly Newbie posted:

God drat. "I'm out" and "later" followed by a quad post is some pro level poo poo.

u mad?

:regd07:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Silly Newbie posted:

It's actually a possible to engage someone in meaningful discourse without being a total tool.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Flikken posted:

It's actually a possible to engage someone in meaningful discourse without being a total tool.

You must be new to the internet.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

welp I see this thread has progressed as expected

later

I smell pussy

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Viva Miriya posted:

I smell pussy

all cats are beautiful

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Viva Miriya posted:

I smell pussy

:catstare:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Sometimes I think it would be cool to be a park ranger and protect endangered animals from poachers but then I see crap like how a bunch of Park Rangers are being sent to the border and I get bummed out that they seem like any other kind of cop

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Internet Wizard posted:

Sometimes I think it would be cool to be a park ranger and protect endangered animals from poachers but then I see crap like how a bunch of Park Rangers are being sent to the border and I get bummed out that they seem like any other kind of cop

"Got sent" and "volunteered" aren't the same thing.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Yeah one means your coworkers might be okay but your leadership sucks, the other means your coworkers are trash garbage

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Smiling Jack posted:

quote:

The most common number of rounds fired by an officer was two to five rounds (36%). Officer Georg, who loves to dual wield and mag dumps every drawdown, is an outlier adn now works in Florida.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Internet Wizard posted:

Yeah one means your coworkers might be okay but your leadership sucks, the other means your coworkers are trash garbage

There are non-LEO park rangers who can enforce rules or call on LEO if required, but otherwise have no need to write parking tickets and bust people for weed.

On top of saving the government money, it avoids having people show up to enjoy nature only to get hassled for expired tags or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

being a game warden would be cool