Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Wait, she can do this?

...am I wrong for thinking that maybe it's not a bad idea?

Yes, and it’s a loving stellar idea.

The impeachment vote just hangs over the golem like a sword of Damocles.
Broadcasting Mitch’s mendacity
Continuing the subpoena train

I fail to see a downside at this point.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Wait, she can do this?

...am I wrong for thinking that maybe it's not a bad idea?

the reason anyone is thinking about this is that lawrence tribe wrote this piece

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1207487393458200578

which is basically that they should hold off, because they can delay it this way, until they get assurances of a real trial

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
It's a great idea. The republicans' whole megawhine is about the whole thing is unfair. If Pelosi is STARTING OFF with "we'll do this when you're ready to do it fairly", that makes a public record of their good faith.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So basically now the story is he is impeached and everyone will talk about this and want to understand from Mitch how he's going to conduct the trial so they can move forward? Pressure on Mitch to respond?

Versus moving it over right away and getting an acquittal?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this is what maddow's covering now: Pelosi not committing to when the Articles get to the Senate in any way whatsoever is the biggest surprise of the night

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/ChadPergram/status/1207486816535957506
https://twitter.com/ByTimRyan/status/1207484233666715648

this may have been posted in the 300 posts i'm behind on but i wonder what's going on here

yeah. part of me thinks they are trying to bait trump into pushing mitch into doing a circus. i am pretty sure he will demand it because he is losing his poo poo.

eke out posted:

the reason anyone is thinking about this is that lawrence tribe wrote this piece

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1207487393458200578

which is basically that they should hold off, because they can delay it this way, until they get assurances of a real trial

sounds about right.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

eke out posted:

this may have been posted in the 300 posts i'm behind on but i wonder what's going on here

Tactically, that might be fun to do. Stretch it past the Iowa caucuses and start really cutting into the campaigning time of the Senators while keeping Trump this mad the whole time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Wait did Trump just publicly say that dead congressman John Dingell is in hell???

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

LtStorm posted:

I think... I think he's getting primaried by Stephen King now.

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1207069267117641730?s=19
gently caress yeah my old neighbor

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Tactically, that might be fun to do. Stretch it past the Iowa caucuses and start really cutting into the campaigning time of the Senators while keeping Trump this mad the whole time.

not to risk primarychat but: impeachment not happening in february would be extremely convenient!

i think that's incredibly unlikely at this point, but Pelosi recognizing she still has one last card to play if Mitch is going to go maximum coverup is Good

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Rime posted:

LMMFAO, Pelosi obviously isn't going to send this to the Senate and reveal that democracy is dead in America, this dies here.

It’s done dumbass.

Edit: Actually maybe not. Perhaps I am the dumbest at this time.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 19, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gatts posted:

So basically now the story is he is impeached and everyone will talk about this and want to understand from Mitch how he's going to conduct the trial so they can move forward? Pressure on Mitch to respond?

i think they are trying to make this weeks conversation about impeachment and let trump stew and have tantrums and try to force the senate into a fairish trial.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

eke out posted:

I've heard this idea floated a couple times. I think the proposed strategy is to make referral contingent on the Senate agreeing to some process poo poo that McConnell will never agree to, so the House leadership can point to it and say that they want to move forward but can't. With the theoretical motivation being that this prevents the potential downsides of a Senate trial--i.e. a bunch of TOTALLY EXONERATED tweets/headlines.

I don't know that that's what Pelosi is signalling here, but it's something that's been mentioned before.

Edit: woah, missed like a whole page while I was typing, lol

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I hope their constituents are paying attention and ready to vote

Or that their constituents are paying attention and become depressed and decide to stay home. Either way.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think they are trying to make this weeks conversation about impeachment and let trump stew and have tantrums and try to force the senate into a fairish trial.

Agreed. Might work too. I think there are 4+ R Senators that will back witnesses and documents in the trial.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Congrats house! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgGXPCYPRWw

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Wheezle posted:

Yes this is definitely how republicans vote.

Republicans are not the only voters in their districts. But don't tell anyone, it's a secret.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

gently caress him Dingell was one of the best ones

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Otteration posted:

Or that their constituents are paying attention and become depressed and decide to stay home. Either way.
oh good more "nothing matters" bullshit

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
That is not a healthy color for a human face.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

AhhYes posted:

Agreed. Might work too. I think there are 4+ R Senators that will back witnesses and documents in the trial.

possibly more. for good and ill reasons. i honestly think mitch doesn't have as much control as he wants to believe. most of the senate has been quiet as gently caress about this, unlike the chuds of the house.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I don't think that's a bad idea.

GOP has gone out of its way to say they're going to throw the trial.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

LtStorm posted:

He would probably make a better representative, but wouldn't he be hammered with all the creepy poo poo he's written. That scene in IT alone...

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

Feel free to let your friends, relatives, and coworkers know that the orange poo poo smear has been impeached. Polls count, starting now.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
In retrospect, basing a political party's multi-year strategy on 'we can get away with literally anything forever' might not have been the brightest of plans

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

Wait did Trump just publicly say that dead congressman John Dingell is in hell???

Yeah and even the sociopaths that are in attendance at his rally seemed taken aback.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

In retrospect, basing a political party's multi-year strategy on 'we can get away with literally anything forever' might not have been the brightest of plans

thats my hope. i feel like the last two years elections have not helped the GOP any and trumps base isn't enough to swing poo poo this time.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

cavallingus posted:

oh good more "nothing matters" bullshit

Not sure if your post is irony, but we can convince chud voters that the orange poo poo smear is poo poo, and we can convince more democratic leaning voters that our way is the good way, and we can also convince chud voters that the orange poo poo smear is toast and that they can stay home in 2020.

All ways are possible.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Charlz Guybon posted:

He would probably make a better representative, but wouldn't he be hammered with all the creepy poo poo he's written. That scene in IT alone...

I read the tweet as though he'd back a primary, not that he'd run, but even if he were running, all his weird poo poo is public.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

cool kids inc. posted:

I read the tweet as though he'd back a primary, not that he'd run, but even if he were running, all his weird poo poo is public.

Yeah, as hilarious as King running for office would be, that's probably the correct interpretation.

And yeah, all of his weird poo poo is public knowledge, there's not a lot of surprises.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Dang it, Tulsi Gabbard, if even my girl Kendra Horn from brick red Oklahoma can vote yes, what's stopping you?

Oh right.

(Legit sending Kendra Horn a thank you note tomorrow)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LtStorm posted:

this isn't an idle threat.

ME-2 is 650k people.

Like how much would it realistically cost to buy that seat?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I kind of do what Stephen King in office for the hope we may get him to write policy as if it was a horror story.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
The spookiest Congressman.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Fighting Trousers posted:

Dang it, Tulsi Gabbard, if even my girl Kendra Horn from brick red Oklahoma can vote yes, what's stopping you?

Oh right.

(Legit sending Kendra Horn a thank you note tomorrow)

McClintock voted in the obvious fashion. Maybe I should send him an angry letter.

I sure do love voting alongside just enough of a slice of the Central Valley to guarantee my representative is a chud. So much better than when I was in Mississippi and Texas in red districts.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gatts posted:

I kind of do what Stephen King in office for the hope we may get him to write policy as if it was a horror story.

I mean, American policy is a horror story, so it fits to have an expert on the subject.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
It would also be nice to have a good Stephen King in office and not a Nazi.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

What the gently caress is happening here

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

It would also be nice to have a good Stephen King in office and not a Nazi.

Stephen King is a legendary rear end in a top hat though. He names dumb/bad characters in his book after normal people he squabbles with. Which is admittedly sort of hilarious in addition to being petty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Charlz Guybon posted:

It'd be kind of refreshing, given he owns that he wrote most of that stuff under the influence of mountains of cocaine.