Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Cojawfee posted:

They would have to make Willow trees illegal if they did that.

Don't forget about a certain weed that is still illegal at a federal level, despite being massively popular.

Someone also suggested that caffeine would also be banned if it were discovered today. I'm not sure whether I'd agree with that or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

They would have to make Willow trees illegal if they did that.

Aspirin is several steps removed / improved from actual willow bark extract. The natural compound has even more side effects.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It depends on how easy it is to cultivate.

If it requires a lot of investment such that a capitalist can effectively control the means of production, then it'll stay legal (with some regulations to help lock up that monopoly even tighter).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A lot of data points just so happening to support deregulation. Hmmm who could have started pointing these out.

Paracetamol and aspirin are at the bottom of the list for analgesics but at least they have a proven pharmacological effect which is more than you can say for a lot of the poo poo they are hoping to put on the market if they manage to roll back regulation requirements on trials.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mozi posted:

yeah i use the latch and stand next to my car with my arms folded, what of it

same

I also squeeze the trigger 3-4 times when it stops and then I jiggle the nozzle when I'm pulling it out

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mobby_6kl posted:

There is (though it's bottled):

The gasoline pump, dispensing directly into a car’s tank, came onto the scene in 1907 and spread through the twenties.

Before the pump, there were two ways to buy gasoline at retail. It could be stocked on the shelves in tin cans, or it could be stored in a bulk tank and measured into a bucket before carrying it to car.

This guy is lucky the shoppe had a funnel on a stand for convenience.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Hillary 2020 posted:

Aspirin is prescribed to old people as an anti-inflammatory to help with arthritis etc. but it has the side effect of causing stomach ulcers. If a new drug hit the market in that condition the pharmaceutical companies would be told to take it back to the lab and have another try.
If aspirin had a one-to-one correlation between people taking it and people developing ulcers, yeah. But it doesn't and so it vastly overstates the role of easily avoidable contraindications has in the drug approval process. No drugs have zero side effects; the FDA definitely isn't taking some sort of weird absolutist stance on the matter because it simply is impossible. "Don't give this to people with a certain condition" is not some sort of dealbreaker here.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I'm sure I watched that hour-long video about sugar mills before, and it used to have awesome annotations. Fuckin' youtube :mad:

Speaking of illegal crops, there's a lot of poppies grown locally here (stealing the image from wikipedia though)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

uvar posted:

I'm sure I watched that hour-long video about sugar mills before, and it used to have awesome annotations. Fuckin' youtube :mad:

Speaking of illegal crops, there's a lot of poppies grown locally here (stealing the image from wikipedia though)

Lol, I remember those TCC threads about being a poppy tea addict.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
buying hundreds dried poppy pods from the florist and boiling them to drink that poo poo. I'm not shooting up tho.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

uvar posted:

Lest we forget get sober.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/SaKs9AF.gifv

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Is he just trying to save 2 second by not having to walk 5 extra steps or something? He quite clearly knows whats going to happen by the way he sprints from the get go.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

that looks pretty fatal

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hillary 2020 posted:

Aspirin is prescribed to old people as an anti-inflammatory to help with arthritis etc. but it has the side effect of causing stomach ulcers. If a new drug hit the market in that condition the pharmaceutical companies would be told to take it back to the lab and have another try.

I see constant commercials for a type 2 diabetes drug that says it can cause necrosis of the taint so I think you’re full of poo poo

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

that looks pretty fatal

You can see him get up and run after going through it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/GUm36WG.mp4

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I just realized it’s called break dancing because they’re all on break.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/PUv2YmG.gifv

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

buying hundreds dried poppy pods from the florist and boiling them to drink that poo poo. I'm not shooting up tho.

These are actual opium poppies, so they're a lot stronger. People do die from it when they don't know what they're doing.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i know this isn't the thread for nature photos, but here's a colony of CHEP pallets in their natural habitat

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

Lol, I remember those TCC threads about being a poppy tea addict.

lest we forget

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2545580&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I thought this was cool, I've never considered the depth of the water to be a contributing factor to sinking ships on the Great Lakes

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Memento posted:

I thought this was cool, I've never considered the depth of the water to be a contributing factor to sinking ships on the Great Lakes

It's weird that bottoming would claim so many seamen.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

That's how actor Anton Yelchin died.

But his car just rolled back and wedged him against a brick wall and security fence, he didn't actually run in front of it trying to ghost ride the gate.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Memento posted:

I've told these kids a hundred times don't take the lakes for granted :argh:

context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ4ddAgykfk

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Powershift posted:

I've told these kids a hundred times don't take the lakes for granted :argh:

context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ4ddAgykfk

Jesus christ, speaking of osha

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://i.imgur.com/pbLBuo5.mp4

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

LifeSunDeath posted:

It's weird that bottoming would claim so many seamen.

Shoulda been wearing their PPE imo

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

That's a pretty big workshop to not contain a single loving fire extinguisher. And I guess if you got someone to disconnect the battery, you might not have a spare person to record it all on their phone.

And of course it's a Land Rover.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

speaking of fire extinguishers

https://i.imgur.com/fn4OzNV.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

it's weird they would document their insurance fraud like that.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My4RA5I0FKs

guy makes a liquefied sand hot tub and proceeds to let his nephews dunk their heads in it

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF0CS8aY1CY

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I wish to know more about the free energy matter.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

take advantage of the small voltage difference between neutral and ground using step up transformers as long as you don't need any real wattage

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thanks to its proximity to the hot line, the neutral line picks up a little voltage via various effects (capacitance, inductance, or failing insulation allowing conduction).

It’s like how a cold water pipe might pick up a little warmth as it runs alongside a hot water pipe.

The demonstrations he’s does take perhaps two watts.

Running continuously, that might be worth two dollars per year.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I wish to obtain the watts for free tho if this fucks up the electron bill it's not worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

I wish to obtain the watts for free tho if this fucks up the electron bill it's not worth it
You're already paying for a bit of it but you're gonna pull some extra in the process of capturing that bit.

Lifehack: use power at the scale of a factory and negotiate losses to imaginary power out of your contract.