Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Killer robot posted:

Seen this observation with superheroes too. Most of the MCU movies and CW supers shows seem to deal with dad issues, both dealing with your own and being one. It's actually a kinda sharp distinction from a realization I had close to 20 years ago that in so much geeky media and pop culture fathers were almost always simple absentees, abusers, or buffoons and drive plots in very simple ways when relevant.

That's a pretty central problem. The original trilogy transformed Hollywood and sci-fi and uniquely shaped the interests of a generation of kids. Every work since is judged according to whether they recreate the same impact, and it's ridiculous to expect them to.

It's easy: we simply put the toothpaste back in the tube, fixing the problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
“It is good to restore the natural order of things after a period of such disarray, don’t you agree?”

I am sure this has been mentioned since it was in the first episode, but again, it seems like a shot at the new films like the comments from Max Von Sydow in TFA. Or am I just reading too much into it?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Herzogs couple lines on the turmoil between ROTJ and TFA have done a lot of great world building.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I know a lot of you liked last week’s episode, but the difference in quality between that and this episode is staggering to me.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I feel like I'm setting unrealistic expectations for the next episode hoping for IG-11 to drop a "I have spoken" at some point

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ghostwritingduck posted:

I know a lot of you liked last week’s episode, but the difference in quality between that and this episode is staggering to me.

Yeah I didn't really think much of it. About to watch the new one. A friend told me the setup and I'm excited to see what happens!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Cross-Section posted:

I feel like I'm setting unrealistic expectations for the next episode hoping for IG-11 to drop a "I have spoken" at some point

Speaking of I absolutely adore the sort of janky stop-motion looking effect they use for IG-11.

It feels like they are very subtly and deliberately doing stuff like that to scratch an almost "wow, this could have aired in 1985 and blown us away even more" vibe without giving up too many the bells and whistles of modern visual effects.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

That was a good episode. I was surprised they managed to make Scout Troopers on speeder bikes actually come across as loving terrifying.

At the very least, they were shown doing competent scouting work--intercepting the outgoing transmissions from the target, zeroing in on the reply, and deciding to pursue it on their own initiative. Possibly the most competent troopers we've seen since the Clone Wars.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Madurai posted:

At the very least, they were shown doing competent scouting work--intercepting the outgoing transmissions from the target, zeroing in on the reply, and deciding to pursue it on their own initiative. Possibly the most competent troopers we've seen since the Clone Wars.

I will not tolerate this erasure of the unseen "blast the nosy protocol droid and melt him down to preserve Vader's surprise party for Han and Leia" stormtrooper.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

God drat. That was great and I'm super excited for more.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Prediction for next season: move over baby Yoda and make room for our new star BABY JABBA

So what you're saying is this whole series is a stealth backdoor pilot for Muppet Star Wars Babies?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mando needs a baby rancor for a pet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ghostwritingduck posted:

Both of Deborah Chow's episodes have been head and shoulders above the rest this season in almost all aspects. Famuyiwa's episodes have had the best action direction imo.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Quell (Quill?) and Herzog had fuckin amazing dialogue this episode.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

Not to get too POLITICS but I really felt he was channeling every clueless affluent neolib technocrat when he started talking about how ~by the metrics~ the Empire improved things across the board.

"The Space Dow Jones is up! The Markets are doing well! Coaxium production is booming! 95% of households have high-speed Holonet! What is there to complain about?"

I was getting real Afrikaner vibes in that speech.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The best thing about Herzog's character is that everything he says is indistinguishable from the things Herzog says in real life.

Werner Herzog, eating at Subway: "What exquisite craftsmanship. It is amazing how beautiful a ham sandwich can be when forged by its ancestral artisans. Can I offer you a diet Pepsi, to celebrate the closing of our shared narrative?"

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Great Enoch posted:

That's a great analogy

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Sgt. Politeness posted:

That's a great analogy

I think it's more generic than that. It's the excuse of every imperialist in the modern day. Afrikaner is a good example but you can see the same poo poo everywhere.

It is, and it feels weird to say this, the best social commentary Star Wars has ever done.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The best thing about Herzog's character is that everything he says is indistinguishable from the things Herzog says in real life.

Werner Herzog, eating at Subway: "What exquisite craftsmanship. It is amazing how beautiful a ham sandwich can be when forged by its ancestral artisans. Can I offer you a diet Pepsi, to celebrate the closing of our shared narrative?"

I tried not reading that in his voice and failed utterly.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Captain Splendid posted:

I tried not reading that in his voice and failed utterly.

Sandwich artistry is a complicated profession, wouldn't you say?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

gently caress, it's absolutely amazing that I read this and heard Herzog's voice in my head so vivid and clear.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Owlbear Camus posted:

Speaking of I absolutely adore the sort of janky stop-motion looking effect they use for IG-11.

It feels like they are very subtly and deliberately doing stuff like that to scratch an almost "wow, this could have aired in 1985 and blown us away even more" vibe without giving up too many the bells and whistles of modern visual effects.

It's absolutely a better way of animating the droids. Just compare IG-11 to the maintenance droids from the gunslinger ep. Movement far too smooth.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I saw someone on twitter compare Carl Weathers' acting in this to fmv game acting and I think it's perfect. God I love this show.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Carl Weathers is a dream as TV Lando.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pops Mgee posted:

I saw someone on twitter compare Carl Weathers' acting in this to fmv game acting and I think it's perfect. God I love this show.

This right here is why I do not and will never understand people being disappointed with The Mandalorian not being “Prestige Television”. Right from the start Star Wars has been a loving tribute to corny old serials and it’s always at its best when it remembers that. Just about the only saving grace of the prequels was McGregor and Diarmid, and it’s because they knew exactly what kind of movies they were in and aimed for the fences. This show is great at capturing that silly but at the same time incredibly earnest tone, embodied by Weathers’ hamming it up with the best of them.

And, of course, Herzog’s overwhelming gravitas to both ground it and enhance the sheer surreality of it all.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This was so good. Not even sure what I’d complain about.

Love the Death Troopers outfits. Completely forgot they existed.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
gently caress!!!!

Oh poo poo I am clenched. We have to wait 9 godamn days?

What has this show done to me?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Doronin posted:

gently caress!!!!

Oh poo poo I am clenched. We have to wait 9 godamn days?

What has this show done to me?

It's gonna be torture waiting for the second season. And more if they end with Baby Yoda being taken away from Mando Dad for real, this time. Although I'm gonna laugh my rear end if the cliff hanger is Boba Fett lmao

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Episode rocked. Hard to poke any holes in it. Great performances, totally character driven, plot was simple and made perfect sense and felt super "Star Wars" ish, dramatic upping of the stakes to set up the finale, just great television.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
How much you want to bet those Speeder Bike Troopers are going to have to fight against actual stormtroopers when they get back? Seemed like there was an obvious difference between the two Imp groups.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I have knowledge that sandwich artistry is a complicated profession. I want the ultimate meatball marinara on cheesy garlic bread, toasted, with the Cool ranch chips. A man of your skill should make short work of this.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

That provalone is enough to make a handsome replacement for your six inch club. But finding a sandwich artist in these trying times is as hard as finding the cheese.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
Veggie on wheat is also acceptable upon completion of the sandwich, for a reduced fee.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Desperado Bones posted:

It's gonna be torture waiting for the second season. And more if they end with Baby Yoda being taken away from Mando Dad for real, this time. Although I'm gonna laugh my rear end if the cliff hanger is Boba Fett lmao

That will certainly make the wait for season two much easier for me personally.

What I can't wait for is IG-11's holy retribution by a barrage of blaster fire after he finds Kuiil

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 19, 2019

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

The moment Herzog stopped the conversation abruptly and said he wanted to see the Baby now, my brain had zero problem believing he had stopped mid-take and just really wanted to see the puppet.

The subsequent dialogue exchange of "...He's sleeping", and "Then we will all be very quiet" only solidified it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Yo, that episode loving ruled. This show rules.

I love how Cara was initially like "Nah, this job is too risky," and as soon as Mando said that she'll get to kill Imps, she immediately got on board. Also they doubled down on her beating the poo poo out of larger men and I really appreciate that. :allears:

RIP Kuill :(

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 19, 2019

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Owlbear Camus posted:

Death Troopers were introduced in Rogue One as the personal retinue/bodyguard of Director Krennic (if you haven't seen it basically the Empire's DARPA guy in charge of making the Death Star work).

They were better trained and equipped than stormtroopers, and reputed to be cybernetically enhanced.

Basically the Stormtroopers are the trash mobs that are only dangerous of the healer is alt-tabbed to smut wheras they are the elite mobs that get pulled with the boss fight and have to be managed.

Unless you are one with the force and the force is with you.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I do like that Mando and Cara’s decision to involve Kuiil was literally “We can’t just leave a baby unsupervised here.”

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Owlbear Camus posted:

If someone hasn't done it by the time I'm done with the office today, I'm going to cut "plenty of meat left on that bone" to the scene of the space pterodactyl stealing his spit roast monster from the fire.

Please do this. I just can’t get over his AD role. It’s more defining than Predator or Rocky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Great Enoch posted:

straight Boer poo poo