Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, that was just cutting away from Sammy and Jericho goofing around during commercials and it was actually funny that as soon as Sammy started up the "for those watching without audio in PiP" gag they flipped away.

The only real "problem" cut I remember was the first one when Omega went back to chase after PAC. And that wouldn't have been a bad place for a commercial break, but the announcers didn't say anything so it was kind of weird that it just went away. And they probably should have done a quick followup after the commercial for those who couldn't see how it played out.

Growing pains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/HecBitw/status/1207498738253647872

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What does FTDO mean?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

What does FTDO mean?

gently caress This Dumb Otter

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Don't be mean to otters :ohdear:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

it dum tho

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Inoki stans are always very special people

https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1207507529556738051

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1207499689379147776?s=21

Maybe I'm not understanding this tweet correctly, but character development is an important aspect of wrestling in my opinion.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

DarkstarIV posted:

Maybe I'm not understanding this tweet correctly, but character development is an important aspect of wrestling in my opinion.

I take it as more an ask to not over complicate things.

As they RT’d after, Okada/Tanahashi is the feud of the decade, and that was just “I’m the best!” “No, I’m the best!” and that’s it.

Sure, there were extensions of that over time, but really, the goal remained: this guy wants to beat that guy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Whoever that is just seems to be mad about the Dark Order and is equating "gimmick I don't like" with "character development."

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Wrestlers don’t develop as characters the same way characters in other scripted shows develop.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/CamelCrushGals/status/1207470272477106178

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

This isn't the thread for funny hyperbolic wrestling jokes

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I normally like VoW's takes but they're going way too far into 'wrestling is about cool moves and looking like a badass' rhetoric there. There's room for goofy-rear end characters in wrestling, you just have to make them be not lovely.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MJeff posted:

I normally like VoW's takes but they're going way too far into 'wrestling is about cool moves and looking like a badass' rhetoric there. There's room for goofy-rear end characters in wrestling, you just have to make them be not lovely.

Look, Evil Uno was only lovely in ISW as part of Team Dirty poo poo, let's not hold that against Dark Order

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That dude said that "all of" Lucha Underground was bad, so him and me just ain't gonna agree.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

for some reason I thought that the way this all played out was that yes it was a work but Hashimoto had very little choice in the matter, and was basically given a warning before the match that Ogawa was going to rough him up/humiliate him and he could fight back but there wasn't much point because Ogawa was the stronger fighter. Anyway can't find a source for this but honestly when you consider the poo poo Inoki pulled with Nakamura after Nakmura said he was planning to shoot on Ogawa it wouldn't be surprising.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

I thought this thread was for stupid wrestling fan opinions :colbert:

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

DarkstarIV posted:

this poo poo is so irritating to me. it's a self-fulfilling prophecy, nobody takes wrestling seriously because nobody takes wrestling seriously. it's a narrative form like anything else, it isn't inherently trashy. really hilarious to see someone talk about WWE brainrot when they literally can't imagine pro-wrestling as anything other than the goofy horseshit circus show that WWE has turned the industry into

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

dsriggs posted:

No you're clearly in the right place

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Low Desert Punk posted:

this poo poo is so irritating to me. it's a self-fulfilling prophecy, nobody takes wrestling seriously because nobody takes wrestling seriously. it's a narrative form like anything else, it isn't inherently trashy. really hilarious to see someone talk about WWE brainrot when they literally can't imagine pro-wrestling as anything other than the goofy horseshit circus show that WWE has turned the industry into

I don't really see how "guy fights guy because they don't like each other" is remotely what the WWE does though?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

dsriggs posted:

Yes but you're not supposed to be the one making them

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

forkboy84 posted:

I don't really see how "guy fights guy because they don't like each other" is remotely what the WWE does though?

the problem is that WWE's attitude to story and character development are "some stuff happens and some people do things", which are executed in inconsistent and poorly developed ways because things get chopped and changed at so much. This leads some people to have a reaction of "just let them wrestle", which is the wrong lesson to take from it.

Wrestling only works with story and character development, but story and character development has to involve things happening and those things having consequence. The slow burn on Adam Page is a perfect example of a character driven story that makes sense. Page failed to gain the world title at All Out so he's started to doubt himself. He thinks that he's the weak link in the Elite and doesn't really think he belongs any more. This has led to a run of tag matches where he's gone into business for himself, in one case stealing a pin and in another hitting his partner by mistake and then fighting with him after the match. And when his friends were in trouble at the end of the show... he didn't turn up. The slowly growing sense of alienation is right now the most interesting thing about Adam Page for me. It goes way beyond "This guy doesnt like that guy,and they fight" while retaining consistency and having characters behave as true to themselves.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Not watching any of their matches but Rhea > Riho

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Riho has never had a heated gamer moment

vivazomo
Nov 4, 2010

https://twitter.com/HecBitw/status/1203134658415910912

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Well now this feels like making fun of someone with a massive head wound.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

...can I change my mind about supporting this man?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Can an embed be a thread title?

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Are we sure this man isn't a troll?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Oh good lord

https://twitter.com/HecBitw/status/1206385186218369024

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
New Japan absolutely has character development. Even if you ignore Okada's balloon period, one of the major plot points in Okada vs Tanahashi was the fact that Okada cried after he lost to Tanahashi at WK9. If you don't believe in character development, that would've been out of character for the carefree Okada. In reality, it was important to show that Okada really does care, and it made him more sympathetic on his road to becoming the new ace of the company. That goes way beyond "this guy hates that guy," even if there wasn't a boring 15-minute promo attached.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
sometimes it’s tough to tell if the athletes or the fans are the ones with brain injuries

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Vince has poisoned peoples' brains to such an extent that they can't comprehend any subtlety whatsoever in wrestling stories and not always even when they have things explicitly spelled out to them in some 30 minute Triple H promo.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

People that don't think NJPW has character development probably don't watch real sports.

There are press conferences and poo poo but two football coaches don't go on the fifty yard line and talk poo poo for 20 minutes prior to the football game but there are still stories that play out through games and seasons... ah who the gently caress am I kidding? It's just a bunch of bad faith arguments from people that don't even watch.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Toru Yano was a monster heel who shaved the head of Hiromu Takahashi.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TheKingslayer posted:

People that don't think NJPW has character development probably don't watch real sports.

Never mind that, they don't even watch New Japan.

By all means you can not watch New Japan, it's not going to be for everyone. I didn't watch for the first 33 years of my life or whatever it was. But then it turned out it was really good, logically booked, straight forward pro wrestling. Yes, there's big moves & head drops & flips and kicks and fighting spirit spots but there's also basic character stuff: But you can't tell me that the "character" of Hideo Itami was better than all the character development in the last 6 months of KENTA in New Japan. Big star returns to his homeland after not making it in America, fans turn on him so he turns on the fans, and his own best friend, to join the big heel faction. As time goes on he does the usual heel dirty tricks but then you listen to his promos and he's doing all sorts of wordplay and talking about how #TOMO is Japan's Sweetheart, the new idol and all sort of weird surreal poo poo where the camera is nodding or shaking its "head" along with the weird promos he's saying. And at the heart of it all he's a big smug arrogant shite who can back up his words with some very stiff kicks.

Meanwhile Hideo Itami's character was what exactly? Japanese guy who couldn't even work the style that got him over in the first place.

Lance Archer's gimmick is big angry man who loves to scream EVERYBODY DIES and he'll beat up anyone happily, be it small kids or even his own stablemates. Is it a nuanced, complex character? No, of course not, it's about as basic as it gets. Would it be better if it was more complex? I don't see how. Would he be improved with a hacky love triangle story between himself, Taichi & Miho Abe? Good god no.

I feel like a lot of the "WWE has great characters" talk is stuck in the past. Who are the great characters on the current roster? In one sentence can you explain what Baron Corbin's character actually is in a sentence?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

he has evolved from just being an applebees manager to being how an applebees manager sees themselves in their head

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

ThePariah posted:

New Japan absolutely has character development. Even if you ignore Okada's balloon period, one of the major plot points in Okada vs Tanahashi was the fact that Okada cried after he lost to Tanahashi at WK9. If you don't believe in character development, that would've been out of character for the carefree Okada. In reality, it was important to show that Okada really does care, and it made him more sympathetic on his road to becoming the new ace of the company. That goes way beyond "this guy hates that guy," even if there wasn't a boring 15-minute promo attached.

I mean Taichi/Ishii happened this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Speaking of Taichi, there was that angle where the completely mad, fun-time having Hiromu broke down into tears and screams when Taichi reminded him of his time as a Young Boy and being bullied by Taichi, which lead to a feud in which Hiromu confronted and had to overcome that mental/emotional block. Simple, straightforward, and most importantly GOOD storytelling/character development!