Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Oh ok. So it’s actually that Kylo wasn’t evil at all and the horrible future Luke saw was 100% caused by Luke’s attempt to kill Kylo.

Bleak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I have a bad feeling about this... movie.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Senior Dog posted:

make your own thread idiot

I’m the OP I already did

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Chrs posted:

I’m the OP I already did

Now that's how you subvert expectations

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Now that's how you subvert expectations

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Some of you actually had hope this movie would be good? LOL, I say. LOL. That is funny to me because that is stupid. Under what circumstances was this movie ever going to turn out to be good. You had feelings and then you let your feelings get hurt because of something that you know was going to happen. Go and get married while you're at it.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Just got back from seeing this, it's late so brief spoiler free thoughts. Firstly i hated TLJ and felt TFA was an enjoyable film on first viewing that obviously played things as safe as possible and upon reflection is kinda bland yet fun, so that's where I stand on the sequels. As for this movie it was basically fan service the movie, but its an enjoyable ride and I think if you're a big enough star wars fan thats just going into it for the spectacle and not expecting it to tell an amazing story or go in a new direction you'll have a good time. I think it's going to be for me the same as TFA where I don't care enough about these characters or the story to want to rewatch the film again but if it pops up on tv I'll sit down.

There's a lot of dumb poo poo that happens also so be prepared to roll your eyes many times, there's a few decent laughs, threepio kinds steals the show there I think which is kinda how it should be, no your momma jokes this time thankfully. Basically JJ is a fan of star wars and made a movie exactly like how a fan would, for better or worse.

Ultimately tldr: I think if you enjoyed TFA in the cinema on first viewing you'll come out of it and call it an enjoyable 2 hours+ but it will leave you relieved this whole sequel trilogy is now dead.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Pick posted:

Some of you actually had hope this movie would be good? LOL, I say. LOL. That is funny to me because that is stupid. Under what circumstances was this movie ever going to turn out to be good. You had feelings and then you let your feelings get hurt because of something that you know was going to happen. Go and get married while you're at it.

No one will marry me after I have posted so much in this thread. Please don't be cruel Pick

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

Rise of Skywalker so bad it's got Pick in peak posting form.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh no, I thought that the Disney live action poop pipeline would bring my childhood back!!

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Pick posted:

poop pipeline

poopline

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Do you think Rey holds her piss lightsaber like it’s a penis and turns it on slowly and goes “Hey Kyle, check it out I’m peeing lol”

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Do you think Rey holds her piss lightsaber like it’s a penis and turns it on slowly and goes “Hey Kyle, check it out I’m peeing lol”

He cant see it cuz his neck is like the batsuit from the Keaton batman due to the frog-tech

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Moola posted:

him getting violent because king evil monster cape guy just said he's going to turn his sister into an evil monster lady is understandable.

getting violent because a sleeping pupil had 2spooky dreams is... not

some goon said luke was clearly sexually molesting ben and had become a pedophile

like his lines were "i was filled with great shame"

yeah stop diddling kids luke

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Molestation doesn’t seem like that crazy of a read, if anything it makes the whole thing make a lot more sense. Ben is ambiguously aged at the best of times though, maybe he was of age and luke just wanted some of that weird weird face

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Anything that keeps jj too busy to make Star trek movies is fine.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

FizFashizzle posted:

some goon said luke was clearly sexually molesting ben and had become a pedophile

like his lines were "i was filled with great shame"

yeah stop diddling kids luke

That's sort of the motivation behind the Empire and the First Order. They want to break up the Jedi's child trafficking network.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pick posted:

there's a lot of boomer energy in this post

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The real losers are the people who put down like $20 to watch a movie they know is terrible in its first week no less.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I’m fighting a real internal struggle between not wanting to give this movie money or going to see it so I can talk about how lovely it is.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Colonel Cancer posted:

The real losers are the people who put down like $20 to watch a movie they know is terrible in its first week no less.

Yeah, I have no clue why anyone is putting down their cash for a lazy pile of trash that has been mostly panned by critics just because it's a Star Wars movie, let alone wasting over 2 hours of their worthless lives on a very bad movie day 1. :sad:

At least TFA and TLJ had very positive buzz from critics after pre-release screenings, while RoS is getting demolished left and right as overly safe mediocrity that pleases no one or worse.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 19, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Applewhite posted:

I’m fighting a real internal struggle between not wanting to give this movie money or going to see it so I can talk about how lovely it is.

Can u go to see if it's fascist of if it has froyo

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
It's a fun and entertaining movie where a whole bunch of ridiculous stuff happens and we actually spend some time with the main characters going on adventures together which I think was a gaping hole in TLJ

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

I can't possibly imagine the shark-eyed suits agreeing to this unless he just flew the puppet entirely under the radar.

You show them the dailies with that adorable puppet and their brains will immediately start producing phantom cash register noises at 120 decibels.

i dunno man Favreau originally wasnt sure about the puppet and did reshoots with possible CGI replacement backplates until Herzog called him a coward

also they had no toys ready except a Funko thing

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I’d rather see the thighs of Skywalker amirite fellas?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
edit: NM, failure of comedy vision

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 19, 2019

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Applewhite posted:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Applewhite posted:

I'd go for some Pies of Skywalker myself.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Does the wide guy fall in the hole and die or does he become Rey’s boyfriend?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Necros posted:

Does the wide guy fall in the hole and die or does he become Rey’s boyfriend?

They're brother and sister so I hope it's the latter. The OT teased Luke x Leia only to snatch it away at the last second in blatant disregard for the fans. If episode IX is really the fanservice movie people say it is then Rey and Kylo should end up together.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Applewhite posted:

They're brother and sister so I hope it's the latter. The OT teased Luke x Leia only to snatch it away at the last second in blatant disregard for the fans. If episode IX is really the fanservice movie people say it is then Rey and Kylo should end up together.

oh no

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Incest isnt taboo in the Star Wars universe

The jedi council regularly set up arranged marriages between related force sensitive people in order to preserve the midichlorian bloodline and keep it as pure as possible. Yoda would definitely have recommended Luke shoot his force fortified ejaculate into Leias force sensitive vagina,

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Fartbox posted:

Incest isnt taboo in the Star Wars universe

The jedi council regularly set up arranged marriages between related force sensitive people in order to preserve the midichlorian bloodline and keep it as pure as possible. Yoda would definitely have recommended Luke shoot his force fortified ejaculate into Leias force sensitive vagina,

The Jedi master with the giant forehead isn't a space alien.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Princesses Leia, Eilonwy and Deja Thoris still haven't been officially recognized as a Disney Princesses and I'm boycotting Disney until they are.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Pick posted:

Oh no, I thought that the Disney live action poop pipeline would bring my childhood back!!

This is really the thing. How in the hell could people expect Disney to poo poo out good movies at all, let alone with a production time of like a year per film???

Even after TFA the reaction wasn't so much "wow this is the best movie ever just like when I was kid" and more that it promised that actual good movies would follow. In the words of Lord Sand Tekken: "This will begin to set things right."

Narrator: It would not.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

They ran out of new ideas before the title crawl was even over on TFA and yet people kept expecting the next film to be the one that was good for four more films because people are not smart.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The only question that remains is, with all the poo poo JJ crammed into this one, did he really hope Bob Igor would let him make Episode 9 Part I and Part II? That would have owned so much the only way it could own harder would be if they would be forced to cancel Part 2 after Part 1 tanked like that one YA movie series whichever it was.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Mooey Cow posted:

The only question that remains is, with all the poo poo JJ crammed into this one, did he really hope Bob Igor would let him make Episode 9 Part I and Part II? That would have owned so much the only way it could own harder would be if they would be forced to cancel Part 2 after Part 1 tanked like that one YA movie series whichever it was.

There was an early rumor from a source who had been accurate about the early development of TLJ that Episode 9 was going to set up Episodes 10-12.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I'm just so tired of all these car doors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I'm just so tired of all these car doors

Millennium Falcon would rule as a giant rideable bird FWIW

(Edit for next-page snipe)