Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Furism posted:

I lost the instruction sheet for a GW miniature. It's a bit of a complicated mini (the Rockgut Troggoths), with lots of customization options, so it's a nightmare to figure it out. Is there anyway to get the PDF somewhere?

You can either search r/warhammerinstructions or just email gw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, if you just mail GW customer service that you've lost the instruction sheet for a model they will just mail a PDF scan of it back to you. I've done it a couple of times for sets I've won over auctions and it's really nice.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Booley posted:

You can either search r/warhammerinstructions or just email gw.

Awesome, thanks!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

queef anxiety posted:

Base with temple guard blue, wash with dameonette hide and lahmian medium, wash with medium and screamer pink . Heavy Dry brush Temple guard blue, dry brush gauss flayer green on edges and wherever you feel like.

Thanks. Tried this last night with similar colors I have and it didn't come out nearly as well.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Cat Face Joe posted:

Thanks. Tried this last night with similar colors I have and it didn't come out nearly as well.

I normally wash the daemonette hide 2:1 medium/hide and the screamer pink really watered down at 4:1. The gauss blaster green is pretty important and a really underrated paint in general imo

baharroth blue might be a cool but very bright alternative ?

queef anxiety fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 19, 2019

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Brush-on primer is the bane of my modeling existence. I have the Vallejo gray acrylic poly brush-on stuff and no matter how much I shake it it doesn't seem to be consistent. If I don't water it back it goes on thick and uneven, if I do water it back it runs into the crevices and dulls the definition. Either way I never get a clean, even coverage on my special little guys. I think I'll just get some spray primer and risk it in the less-than-ideal seasonal conditions.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Is it just a lovely bottle? Did it freeze? Is it really old?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I don't have grey, but I have black, white, and UK Bronze Green Vallejo brush-on primers, and the only issue I've ever had is the white usually takes about two coats to get proper coverage.

I'm pretty sure it shrinks as it dries so as long as you don't coat it like the tar thing from Star Trek the details will be fine in the end.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

That's pretty standard with the vallejo in my experience, and you probably shouldn't be using water. You pretty much just need to prime it one time however streaky it looks, then move on to a proper undercoat with a regular acrylic.

edit: I don't recommend more than one coat, it can build up in any corners or crevices pretty badly.

The black brush on covers decently though, but the hassle is what made me finally buy an airbrush and it's my favorite hobby purchase ever.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

dexefiend posted:

Is it just a lovely bottle? Did it freeze? Is it really old?

dunno, no, no I bought it this summer and had problems from the get go

at first I thought brush-on priming was inherently lovely but now I'm thinking maybe I got a dud bottle, I've had it sitting upside-down for a couple of days and I'm going to shake it like it for 10 mins before I try it again and if it's still lovely I'll give up on it

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Filthy Hans posted:

at first I thought brush-on priming was inherently lovely but now I'm thinking maybe I got a dud bottle, I've had it sitting upside-down for a couple of days and I'm going to shake it like it for 10 mins before I try it again and if it's still lovely I'll give up on it

drop a bb or two in it and then shake it up, it may need help mixing the pigment into the medium.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

drop a bb or two in it and then shake it up, it may need help mixing the pigment into the medium.

thanks, I'll try that

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Filthy Hans posted:

Brush-on primer is the bane of my modeling existence. I have the Vallejo gray acrylic poly brush-on stuff and no matter how much I shake it it doesn't seem to be consistent. If I don't water it back it goes on thick and uneven, if I do water it back it runs into the crevices and dulls the definition. Either way I never get a clean, even coverage on my special little guys. I think I'll just get some spray primer and risk it in the less-than-ideal seasonal conditions.

A few youtubers did some extensive seasonal testing with rattlecan primers (Miniac comes to mind) and concluded that as long as the cans were kept indoors and you dried the minis indoors the application outdoors in heat/cold dryness/humidity was negligible if not altogether unnoticeable.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is there anything wrong with just dumping flow improver straight into my pots

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Doorknob Slobber posted:

is there anything wrong with just dumping flow improver straight into my pots

So long as the consistency you get with that is what you want. Reaper's paint notably comes with more flow improver than other lines.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Filthy Hans posted:

Odds are its a dud, my white is the same way but my black is perfect right out of the bottle

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Like I said, it's not a dud, it's normal for the lighter colored vallejo primers. The black has better pigment coverage if that's what you want.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Doing some terrain

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

JackMann posted:

So long as the consistency you get with that is what you want. Reaper's paint notably comes with more flow improver than other lines.

Yeah like there is no rule do whatever you want to get what you want. That being said the main difference between regular thinner and flow improver is basically a drop of soap. Flow improver is reducing surface tension more due to that so if it’s a cost issue just add a drop of cleaning solution to your thinner.

Idgaf so I just have a ton of Vallejo flow improver.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

is airbrush priming basically cheat mode? literally the first time i ever used my airbrush i loaded some cheap grey primer from humbrol into it, sprayed it on a few space marines and it went on perfectly. it took a fair bit longer than a rattle can but the end result was so loving smooth

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

is airbrush priming basically cheat mode? literally the first time i ever used my airbrush i loaded some cheap grey primer from humbrol into it, sprayed it on a few space marines and it went on perfectly. it took a fair bit longer than a rattle can but the end result was so loving smooth

Yes. 100%

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody got hot tips, tricks, and idiot-proof approaches for a novice painter trying checkerboard and harlequin patterns?

Transfers? How do those work?

Thanks mates

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’ve painted a few checked patterns on my orks, and always had good success getting my lighter colour down, drawing out the grid with a mechanical pencil, and painting the darker colour into the appropriate squares

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

Yup. I feel like I had a 33% chance of loving up rattle cans somehow and brush on never worked that well for me, but airbrush priming pretty much always works perfectly.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
There is no such thing as cheating when it comes to painting models, geez.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
Yes there is! Using a brush is cheating, finger painting is the only true way.

Premade paint is also cheating, go out to smush some berries, grind up some rocks and ores and stop being such a cheater.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I don't think anyone is using "cheating" in that way. Might be ok to calm down a lot.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Airbrush priming is so simple and easy and fast that it's worth the purchase of a cheap airbrushing rig by itself. Bonus points if you get a nicer setup and start using it for real-deal airbrushing.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Anybody got hot tips, tricks, and idiot-proof approaches for a novice painter trying checkerboard and harlequin patterns?

Transfers? How do those work?

Thanks mates

Are you spraying or brushing on? Either way, as much as setup is going to be a pain in the rear end, your best bet is going to be masking off your pattern. Use tiny tape or cut it into the right spots with a hobby knife, then seal the edges of the tape. You can either do this with gloss varnish like me if you're lazy, or another coat of your base layer of paint.

You can freehand it, but you'll probably want to at least sketch out your grid first.

Transfers are pretty simple. Get them wet, gently pull them off the backing, and plop them onto your model. Using tweezers to pull and position them will make your life easier, and if you wet the area where you're going to place the decal it'll give you a little more time to position it. Be careful not to rip the decal, since they're pretty fragile. Smoother surfaces are more better, so you should consider gloss varnishing the whole thing before you apply your decal.

Some decal softener will help the transfer conform to the surface of your model, so if you're using something with a lot of complex surface detail or curvature, you'll probably want to do so. Plus, it looks nicer. After that, put your topcoat over the decal so it doesn't stand out as much.

If you're talking about using transfers to put a checked pattern on a model, give up now and just do it with masking. That's some miserable poo poo right there, and freehanding the whole thing would take less time and be less frustrating.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

queef anxiety posted:

I normally wash the daemonette hide 2:1 medium/hide and the screamer pink really watered down at 4:1. The gauss blaster green is pretty important and a really underrated paint in general imo

baharroth blue might be a cool but very bright alternative ?

Thanks again but it's probably a lack of skill combined with the model I'm testing it on being flatter than the plague marine. I'll keep at it tho.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Doing some terrain

Those are excellent. I really like the colors you chose

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

A few youtubers did some extensive seasonal testing with rattlecan primers (Miniac comes to mind) and concluded that as long as the cans were kept indoors and you dried the minis indoors the application outdoors in heat/cold dryness/humidity was negligible if not altogether unnoticeable.

That's essentially what I've been doing. I tac the models down to some cardboard, take it outside, spray it with white or black matte krylon paint, and bring it inside for priming. I'd hate to leave them out in the garage to dry though. Although I haven't been bringing the cans indoors, I might try that.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Not quite on topic but since this thread is brand agnostic I figured someone might know. Does anyone recognise this StarCraft mini?

I found this article that says there was a StarCraft WotC line shown at GenCon in the early 2000s, but I can't find any additional info about it or the game. I guess I can try contacting WotC or Blizz, but thought I'd try here first.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The article says they were "on their way" to happening, suggesting they didn't reach full production.

There's a similar-ish Dark Templar action figure that ended up coming out at one point, but it's not an unpainted mini.
http://www.wecollectgames.com/dc-unlimited-starcraft-ii-series-1-10%E2%80%B3-collector-action-figure-protoss-dark-templar-zeratul/

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Its a bit before my time but, WotC produced a Starcraft tabletop RPG around 2000, these were probably part of that line, but the product flopped and so I'm guessing the minis never went to market.

There are Starcraft minis as part of the Starcraft Board Game, they're not very large but they're still cool (and it's a pretty good big box strategy game).

There was also a couple of attempts by Upper Deck to create Starcraft collectible minis back when Wizkids was killing it with Heroclicks, but the market (and Upper Deck) collapsed before anything beyond prototypes were created.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Brinty posted:

Yes there is! Using a brush is cheating, finger painting is the only true way.

Premade paint is also cheating, go out to smush some berries, grind up some rocks and ores and stop being such a cheater.

Just lol if you use pigments that weren't produced by your own body.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

The Moon Monster posted:

Writing a stipulation in my will that I am to become Mummy Brown in death and used to paint some rad skeletons or maybe a cool hydra.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am getting 16 new paints coming in the mail today. :toot:

Kislev Flesh
Stegadon Scale Green
Thunderhawk Blue
Fenrisian Grey
Seraphim Sepia
Ushabti Bone
Evil Sunz Scarlet
Carroburg Crimson
Fire Dragon Bright
Temple Guard Blue
Baharroth Blue
Yriel Yellow
Ironbreaker
Stormhost Silver
Lahmian Medium
White Scar

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
A little bird told me that I'll be receiving an airbrush this holiday. One of the Iwata Neo gravity feeds with a decent but cheap tanked compressor. Is there anything I need to know before binge watching youtube tutorials on how to use it? One thing I've always wondered is how long it takes to switch colors, do you need to run cleaner through it every time or can you just drop some water in?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The Moon Monster posted:

I've been painting with my own earth tones since I was a baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Finally finished an Intercessor squad: