Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
They should remove the ball entirely and just have each team pick a champion who fight in the middle of the field, MMA rules. The rest of the team is there just to go party with the fans after they win, or to sprinkle ash on themselves if their champion loses. Soccer players already know how to dive and writhe in pain so maybe they can get some kinda bonus points for most convincing cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
People who watch combat sports weird me out. Its pretty deranged to be excited by watching people beat each other up

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The cello is the best musical instrument and it's not an especially close contest.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

docbeard posted:

The cello is the best musical instrument and it's not an especially close contest.

This is far from an unpopular opinion. It’s just a straight up fact.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

docbeard posted:

I don't know if this opinion is unpopular, but it certainly shouldn't be.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Cellos are cool but nothing beats a bass guitar for me

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The Synthesizer is the best instrument, because it can be any instrument.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
You just gotta tip it on its side, and chello~o you got a bass.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Gripweed posted:

The Synthesizer is the best instrument, because it can be any instrument.

Going all the way back to the first instrument that could do Additive Synthesis - the Pipe Organ.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Euphonium > cello > baritone horn > bass guitar > tuba > all other instruments

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Culturally speaking, the 2010s ended with those Youtube videos where a woman talks about a true crime story while dong her makeup. And the 2020s will begin with Cats

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

docbeard posted:

Actually it's a French Horn because they have the uncanny ability to sometimes sound a lot like a cello, but then they can also sound like a regular brass instrument.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

JollyBoyJohn posted:

People who watch combat sports weird me out. Its pretty deranged to be excited by watching people beat each other up

All sports are weird. With combat sports you at least have reduced the rules to a minimum so the test of skill and physical fitness is as real as you can make it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Same but with e-sports

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
e-sports are the most laughable "sports" there are. not because of the video games themselves, but rather the people who want to be taken seriously. they're either the biggest clowns imaginable, pedophiles, or wife beaters. i understand that sports players are no strangers to beating/murdering their wives (looking at you, OJ), but clearly such a similarity shouldn't be shared between the two. the worst clownology we get from sports players is that guy who kneeled during the national anthem, but even then that was such a "who gives a poo poo" situation. oh no, the man didn't stand up. who cares.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

docbeard posted:

Nthing

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

spit on my clit posted:

e-sports are the most laughable "sports" there are. not because of the video games themselves, but rather the people who want to be taken seriously. they're either the biggest clowns imaginable, pedophiles, or wife beaters. i understand that sports players are no strangers to beating/murdering their wives (looking at you, OJ), but clearly such a similarity shouldn't be shared between the two. the worst clownology we get from sports players is that guy who kneeled during the national anthem, but even then that was such a "who gives a poo poo" situation. oh no, the man didn't stand up. who cares.

I was going to say "the problem with e-sports is that it's rife with corruption, bullshit, and inflating numbers to make it look better than it is" but realized that regular sports does the same thing. There are obviously enough people paying attention to it for it to be A Thing but so far it's just as much of a mess as regular sports.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't care about real e-sports people. If you want to make a non-living on games where skill is only a part of what determines who wins, go for it if you want/can afford to.

My issue is with "streamers". The ones who agonize over where they put their giant red arrow on their youtubes, the ones who do super fake interactions with their viewers. It's just so superficial. Why support someone who views you as just another number in their wallet? Why enable them to keep staying at home living a life most people would envy of doing absolutely nothing but recording themselves clicking buttons for a few hours a day?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I don't care about real e-sports people. If you want to make a non-living on games where skill is only a part of what determines who wins, go for it if you want/can afford to.

My issue is with "streamers". The ones who agonize over where they put their giant red arrow on their youtubes, the ones who do super fake interactions with their viewers. It's just so superficial. Why support someone who views you as just another number in their wallet? Why enable them to keep staying at home living a life most people would envy of doing absolutely nothing but recording themselves clicking buttons for a few hours a day?

You and I both know that making a living from streaming takes a hell of a lot more work than that

Also, why the gently caress is sending 5 bucks a month to some person who talks to chat about things they care about while playing video games weird and childish and KIDS THESE DAYS, but sending 200 bucks a month to a company so you can watch Everybody Loves Raymond and Teen Titans Go reruns 24/7 in between ads just to see Serious People having Serious Discussions about Donald Trump’s latest tweet the thing adults do?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You and I both know that making a living from streaming takes a hell of a lot more work than that

Also, why the gently caress is sending 5 bucks a month to some person who talks to chat about things they care about while playing video games weird and childish and KIDS THESE DAYS, but sending 200 bucks a month to a company so you can watch Everybody Loves Raymond and Teen Titans Go reruns 24/7 in between ads just to see Serious People having Serious Discussions about Donald Trump’s latest tweet the thing adults do?

The thing is, the guy I hypothetically send 5 bucks a month to is going to give me the content whether I pay for it or not. I'd rather just not. They don't give a gently caress about me, they get most of their money from other sources. gently caress them. If they don't give me the content I want I'll find it somewhere else. They aren't special, they're just some guy. If no content for that game exists, whatever, i'll watch something else.

I pay my cable subscription because I get to see a wide variety of whatever I choose. If I had to pay a per month subscription for each channel individually, i'd probably only pay for 1-5 of them, but that's not how it works. With TV you can't watch a channel and decide hey, I like this, I'm going to support it (outside of special promotional events). You either pay for it up front or you don't see it at all.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

i dont know if you noticed but basically nobody uses cable tv any more, thanks to the immense amount of streaming services with exclusive content. if anything it's sending 200 bucks a month divided between twenty different streaming services just so you can watch the poo poo you want to.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

2020: The Return of :filez:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The thing is, the guy I hypothetically send 5 bucks a month to is going to give me the content whether I pay for it or not. I'd rather just not. They don't give a gently caress about me, they get most of their money from other sources. gently caress them. If they don't give me the content I want I'll find it somewhere else. They aren't special, they're just some guy. If no content for that game exists, whatever, i'll watch something else.

Then you're watching lovely streamers.

I like watching Day[9], because he is, himself, very entertaining. It's not just watching a game being played, where the game is the content - he is the content. I don't even watch live. I'm happy to pay him $5 a month for that, and I think it's a fair exchange.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
You fools, paying these people for their time and effort so that they can have free time in which to create content that you enjoy. You should simply watch the streams for free, and not support the activities you enjoy watching.

Fake edit: I personally don’t watch streamers or care about watching video games or sports being played, but writing paragraphs of text trying to shame people for paying the people who make stuff they like to watch is real silly to me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

You fools, paying these people for their time and effort so that they can have free time in which to create content that you enjoy. You should simply watch the streams for free, and not support the activities you enjoy watching.
And don't forget to use that money you've saved to pay giant corporations, because watching their shows for free would be unethical.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Because its not that easy or we'd all be doing it. Plenty people stream for months or years without having a significant enough audience. Its not just a case of "switch on camera, play game, get paid". Plenty people streaming on twitch right now playing obscure games with 5 viewers just because they want to. I've currently got a guy called MCanning playing Starcraft 2 on my telly, its not really something I'm watching intently but its good background noise when I'm getting ready for work in the morning. He probably makes around $3-4000 dollars a month from streaming but he also has to play Starcraft 2 for 8-12 hours a day which sounds horrific.

The guys who have this audience usually have it because they have worked to build it up. Yeah you have guys like PewDiePie or Ninja but these kind of people could donate to charity, be evangelical christians, house the homeless and feed the 5000 and some folk on here would still be "rich white guy got rich from playing videogames, it is my duty to despise him".

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yeah you have guys like PewDiePie or Ninja but these kind of people could donate to charity, be evangelical christians, house the homeless and feed the 5000 and some folk on here would still be "rich white guy got rich from playing videogames, it is my duty to despise him".

did you forget about when pewdiepie blurted out the n word on stream? yeah he profusely apologized for the following month and did whatever he could to make up for it, but its 2019 and your sins never wash away in the eyes of me and the boys. now to watch my favorite streamer Destiny, who shot down racist youtuber Jontron and has never ever said the n word so much that he had to be confronted about his frequent use of the word

if you have a problem with what im saying, just remember that i'm the one on the right side of history here.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 10:24 on Dec 19, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

did you forget about when pewdiepie blurted out the n word on stream?
I believe it was JollyBoyJohn's intent to use PewDiePie as an example of a streamer who there are valid reasons to dislike as contrast to their hypothetical "blameless" streamer who, JollyBoyJohn claims, "some folk on here" would hate anyway. Although it is confusing that they included "evangelical Christian" as one of this hypothetical streamer's (positive?) traits.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tiggum posted:

I believe it was JollyBoyJohn's intent to use PewDiePie as an example of a streamer who there are valid reasons to dislike as contrast to their hypothetical "blameless" streamer who, JollyBoyJohn claims, "some folk on here" would hate anyway. Although it is confusing that they included "evangelical Christian" as one of this hypothetical streamer's (positive?) traits.

Evangelical Christians are the most attractive Christians. See: Joel Osteen, whose last name rhymes with "mangosteen"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

Evangelical Christians are the most attractive Christians. See: Joel Osteen, whose last name rhymes with "mangosteen"

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I just Googled that guy and he is real weird-looking.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
There's also the other considerations of being a sustainable but not prolific steamer. Any holidays you take is lost income, theres no pension or other benefits eg staff discount. You generally have to play just the one game which depending on your personality is either a nightmare or a dream.

I'd still quit my job and steam starcraft 8 hours a day for less money than i earn now but I'd probably be sick of it in 3 weeks.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You generally have to play just the one game which depending on your personality is either a nightmare or a dream.

Or, if you're really lucky, you're one of those unicorn streamers like Vinesauce or Moonmoon who gets to stream whatever games they want.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

spit on my clit posted:

Or, if you're really lucky, you're one of those unicorn streamers like Vinesauce or Moonmoon who gets to stream whatever games they want.

Or northernlion who i will always have a soft spot for given his videos gave me the confidence to finish dark souls 1.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

JollyBoyJohn posted:

There's also the other considerations of being a sustainable but not prolific steamer. Any holidays you take is lost income, theres no pension or other benefits eg staff discount. You generally have to play just the one game which depending on your personality is either a nightmare or a dream.

I'd still quit my job and steam starcraft 8 hours a day for less money than i earn now but I'd probably be sick of it in 3 weeks.

I mean, that's true of hourly work in general...and I make a hell of a lot less than $4k a month.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Uncle Lloyd posted:

I mean, that's true of hourly work in general...and I make a hell of a lot less than $4k a month.

Very true but you also didn't start at zero and have to build up every penny over 8 years.

I can only speak of my lovely office jobs but there's a fair amount of downtime. Lunch/ toilet breaks/having 5 minutes on your phone. If a steamer does any of this they lose engagement and possibly income.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Do you think when Twitch streamers dream of retirement they thing of doing nothing all day but working on spread sheets and going to sales meetings?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
What the gently caress is retirement?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Britain is an absurd cartoon country that deserves nothing but mockery and scorn

https://twitter.com/RoyalCentral/status/1207611283392073728?s=20

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Britain is an absurd cartoon country that deserves nothing but mockery and scorn

https://twitter.com/RoyalCentral/status/1207611283392073728?s=20

*ffffffffff*

What if... what if we could make it so we, like, never had to stop LARPing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

this is true in general but it seems they're trying to fix that at least, so ya gotta give em props