Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i want a timeline where theres link and gannon babies and link steals gannons binky and makes him boom-boom in his diap so hard it sets off a pan-dimensional ten billion year war between this former baby and this manifestation of satanic pig energy

also theyre all still diaped up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Zelda 2: Epona's Island

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hey, so how about that free DLC for Cadence of Hyrule? Has anyone tried it yet?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Hey, so how about that free DLC for Cadence of Hyrule? Has anyone tried it yet?

Oh man, I saw a mention of that earlier and completely blanked on it, downloading it now.

Also if anyone's on the fence, that's a really good game, completely worth picking up as a neat reinterpretation of the Zelda world with enough tweak's to its own series' gameplay to make it playable at pretty much any skill level.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i want a timeline

This is where you’re going wrong op

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I want a timeline for future games carefully set up so that no matter which order you put the games in, including attempts to do parallel timelines, they are completely mutually contradictory. Set up so they all both must have come before every other entry but also cannot have come before them because of other details. They should spend 100% of their development resources on this.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

What's the new free cadence dlc?

E: whoa, new storyline bit and a new dungeon mode. Thought it'd be like a new soundtrack or something

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 19, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's starting off great, you get a funny new opening cutscene and act like a smug dick to the little old lady in the starting/resurrection area. You also start off in better shape, with the warp lute and a much better base weapon that damages left/right/in front of you. Seems like a great addition.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm up to the final dungeon in Octavo Mode. So far it's the same game but with no alternative weapon choices since Octavo never lets go of his lute, and some different magical spells and dialogue here and there. Things might change once I get to the end because Octavo isn't supposed to defeat Ganon after all, so, we'll see.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Dictator. posted:

three level spoiler

it's on an island

south of hateno

called tenoko

Thanks for this! I actually had pinned that shrine a while back but hadn't gotten around to it, then I noticed there was a big ol' cliff off to the side that looked perfect for paragliding down to it, and I did just that. Probably for the best that I waited because I don't know if I could have done a Major Test of Strength that early on. I also accidentally found Eventide when I went to that shrine, but I'm gonna have to put that on the backburner. I know if you're skilled enough it's certainly possible to do that island with four hearts, but I'm not that skilled, so I think it'll have to wait until I have more life to spare.

Lot of stuff in the past day or so. I was running around getting towers and for whatever reason decided gently caress it, let's just go to Hyrule Castle. So I did. I was able to take out two full strength Guardians along the way which felt really good, using two of the three Ancient Arrows I got for free. I died to a blue Lynel in one of the gatehouses, but I did at least manage to grab the memory bit outside Zelda's study by scaling that tower and jumping into the window before the flying Guardian could target me.

I also beat my first Lynel! I went to the Coliseum Ruins while grabbing a memory spot, and there was one in there I was able to kind of sneak up on, and I just went for it. It took me about twelve bomb arrows and also six or seven food items but I beat him, and it felt good.

I think these events are what finally sold me completely on this game, honestly. Not that I thought it was bad before, of course, and I still don't like every decision that was made (though I've finally accepted weapon durability as fine). But it was going into the final dungeon before I'm "supposed" to, just walking right up to the front gate through sneaking around and careful battling, that I sort of realized it. It made me remember how I posted that in the first couple of hours in the game I was able to find the Great Plateau Stone Talus and take it out with my arsenal of wooden clubs and someone else saying they had to wait until much later in the game to do it. This game really lends itself to everyone having a vastly different adventure. You play a game like OoT or LttP, which are great games, but almost everyone has the same experience, but not this game. Everyone has their own unique journey through this game, and to me that's kind of exciting.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The game actually tries pretty hard to lure you into hyrule castle before the very end of the game, and it's a wayyy better experience if you do it that way too.

There's two quests to make you go there in riverside stable, there's a guy talking about an entry route (no quest though) in the woodland stable, and (spoilered just in case)one of the memories is in there too, although that isn't as explicit unless you happen to talk to pikango in the right location.

They clearly wanted you to have the experience of sneaking into the castle underpowered and underequipped, and it's a shame many people are just naturally inclined to not do so until they can come in at the end of the game and basically skip the whole thing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah and there's scattered NPCs throughout the game who just generally talk about the treasures that lie within for those with the courage to claim them.

Getting the hylian shield 2 hours in to the game was my favorite surprise of my first foolhardy journey into the place.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

This most recent playthrough I did the glitch to get the Master Sword right off the bat and then I immediately went to go get the Hylian Shield right after. It felt good to have the good stuff for the early game, though I was disappointed that, even though you can get the sword early, you still have to "pull" the empty sword out (with 13 hearts) before being able to place it down to start the Trials. I really wanted the glowy sword for the whole game.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

More Cadence talk:

The final fight is against The NecroDancer himself rather than Ganon, and I don't know how to win. I never finished the original game, so maybe there's some gimmick I'm not getting. In the final phase the walls close in and I can repeatedly beat on him but no matter what I do the walls close completely and I'm instantly defeated. Does anyone have any advice?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I haven't done the boss fight myself yet so I'm just guessing from the original game, one of the Necrodancer fights also has walls closing in, and you're supposed to smack the Necrodancer and his minions until a wall of magma opens behind him, and then you just shove his rear end in there.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I just started Breath of the Wild again, as I never got to play the DLC as my Wii U died. God it's nice to play again, 1 minute in and I'm having so much fun going all Metal Gear Link and creatively destroying Bobokin camps.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah and there's scattered NPCs throughout the game who just generally talk about the treasures that lie within for those with the courage to claim them.

Getting the hylian shield 2 hours in to the game was my favorite surprise of my first foolhardy journey into the place.

It's odd you can complete the cooking challenge from memory/internet without ever setting foot in the castle though

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

YggiDee posted:

I haven't done the boss fight myself yet so I'm just guessing from the original game, one of the Necrodancer fights also has walls closing in, and you're supposed to smack the Necrodancer and his minions until a wall of magma opens behind him, and then you just shove his rear end in there.

The answer ended up being similar. There was a platform behind him that I needed to knock him away from in order to step on it to win the battle.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Amppelix posted:

The game actually tries pretty hard to lure you into hyrule castle before the very end of the game, and it's a wayyy better experience if you do it that way too.

There's two quests to make you go there in riverside stable, there's a guy talking about an entry route (no quest though) in the woodland stable, and (spoilered just in case)one of the memories is in there too, although that isn't as explicit unless you happen to talk to pikango in the right location.

They clearly wanted you to have the experience of sneaking into the castle underpowered and underequipped, and it's a shame many people are just naturally inclined to not do so until they can come in at the end of the game and basically skip the whole thing.

They definitely made the castle too scary and imposing.

I was also put off because a lot of people said they accidentally stumbled across Ganon while exploring the castle. I didn't want to beat the game before I was ready (or get slaughtered by a big pig).

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Twelve by Pies posted:

I also accidentally found Eventide when I went to that shrine, but I'm gonna have to put that on the backburner. I know if you're skilled enough it's certainly possible to do that island with four hearts, but I'm not that skilled, so I think it'll have to wait until I have more life to spare.

Useful tip for Eventide (and some other places): Rock Octoroks have a trick.

They suck in rusty stuff you drop in front of them and spit it out shiny and new. You do have to catch/find it afterwards though, so make sure they're not pointing towards lava/deep water/etc

Also hell yeah early game Hyrule Castle.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Speaking of the BotW DLC, I know one of them is a post-game thing, but I think the other one is new missions and stuff, if I go ahead and get the DLC now will I get anything that'll break the game too hard, or will it just give me more missions and stuff for nice rewards that aren't overpowering?

I never found the Hylian Shield when I went into Hyrule Castle, but I guess at some point I have to come back for a cookbook if I find that quest.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Speaking of the BotW DLC, I know one of them is a post-game thing, but I think the other one is new missions and stuff, if I go ahead and get the DLC now will I get anything that'll break the game too hard, or will it just give me more missions and stuff for nice rewards that aren't overpowering?

I never found the Hylian Shield when I went into Hyrule Castle, but I guess at some point I have to come back for a cookbook if I find that quest.

The miscellaneous treasures added by the DLC packs are all more useful to find earlier than later. They've got strong abilities but they can't be upgraded like normal gear.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Also, neither is postgame. One of them is set (can only be done) after getting the Master Sword, and the other is after all four divine beasts.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
In link's awakening remake, in the face dungeon, what does the owl hint enter where the eyes have walls refer to? cursory googling says the map looks like a face but I must be face blind because I see no face.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

eric ciaramella posted:

In link's awakening remake, in the face dungeon, what does the owl hint enter where the eyes have walls refer to? cursory googling says the map looks like a face but I must be face blind because I see no face.

There's a pair of "eyes" in the layout that seem to be empty space but are actually rooms, and you can bomb walls to get into them.

It's a "face" in the sense that it's got 2 eyes.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I know Majora’s Mask chat was a few pages ago but drat if it isn’t easy to get cocky and start a dungeon late into a cycle and then sweat balls as you rush blindly through it with the final countdown ticking down.

Also, the 3ds’ quality-of-life improvements are so good.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Bongo Bill posted:

The miscellaneous treasures added by the DLC packs are all more useful to find earlier than later. They've got strong abilities but they can't be upgraded like normal gear.

I think Majora's Mask is pretty game breaking early game. You can just waltz through most areas in the overworld only ever having to worry about Lynels, and even then you get a generous window of time before they turn hostile. I mean I guess chuchus and keese are still hostile but they're not exactly a threat.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

There's a pair of "eyes" in the layout that seem to be empty space but are actually rooms, and you can bomb walls to get into them.

This is one of the things the remake kind of drops the ball on, because the map is much more detailed so the "eyes" don't show up as black spots anymore like they did in the original, they show up as normal rooms, so you can't tell at a glance what the owl is talking about.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Twelve by Pies posted:

This is one of the things the remake kind of drops the ball on, because the map is much more detailed so the "eyes" don't show up as black spots anymore like they did in the original, they show up as normal rooms, so you can't tell at a glance what the owl is talking about.

Crap, I never even noticed that!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I went ahead and got the DLC, and got a bunch of side quest notifications, which I'll probably mess with later. I found a blue-maned Lynel wandering around, and fought it and beat it. It took three fairies and like five of the temporary heart dishes, but I beat it. I feel pretty good about it.

I'm also really confused and kind of upset about Farosh. So how do you get it to respawn? I flew to the top of the arch over the south end of Hylia Bridge, saved my game manually, then built a fire and rested until morning. I woke up the next day and Farosh was there, I tried to get a part from it and failed, and reloaded my save. I built a fire again, rested the night, and Farosh didn't appear again. So obviously its appearance somehow can't be reset by a save file (which is pretty bullshit IMO, that shouldn't be allowed), and I'm not sure how to get it to appear again.

I did finally go into the forest, found the Master Sword (though obviously I can't pull it at 4 hearts), and did the Korok trials. I'd heard the one where you have to follow the Korok was bad, and it was annoying but it didn't take too long. The shrines in the area also put me at max stamina so now I can start getting hearts from spirit orbs and that'll help a lot.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Farosh doesn't spawn every every night IIRC, just most nights.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
farosh can be more reliably spawned elsewhere

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

His spawn point in the forest in the southeast is the best place to get him. He's actually the easiest dragon to farm since he'll burst out of the spring immediately every time you rest till morning and you can shoot him right away.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I'd finished the game before I realised what you had to do with dragons

I thought you had to climb them

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Regy Rusty posted:

His spawn point in the forest in the southeast is the best place to get him. He's actually the easiest dragon to farm since he'll burst out of the spring immediately every time you rest till morning and you can shoot him right away.

Yeah, he's weirdly shy about spawning from Lake Hylia if you're on the arches. He seems a bit keener on it if you wait on the Lake Tower instead, but as said Riola Spring is def the best place to farm him if you've got there yet.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I'd finished the game before I realised what you had to do with dragons

I thought you had to climb them

I felt so loving guilty about shooting that first scale off Naydra - I thought I was being told to kill it.

It was such a relief to see it flying along the estuary later!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Runcible Cat posted:

I felt so loving guilty about shooting that first scale off Naydra - I thought I was being told to kill it.

It was such a relief to see it flying along the estuary later!

It's weird how games can suck you in like this.

Also never killed a fox even by horse.

Last night I realized I'd always extorted a shop keeper in AC: Odyssey in my playthroughs (by breaking pots no less) and tried not doing that and :feelsgood:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i'm pissed killing foxes just gives meat, because carnivore meat, especially scavengers of opportunity like foxes, is gross.

though, not as gross as goose meat, which is both gamey and fowl.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what about heron meat

also is there a way to get milk in BotW other than buying it off Pruce or that one wandering Hateno dude?

E: untitled pruce game is probably Hitman, look at this shady motherfucker

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

you never tried milking the boars?