Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Lol did someone from this thread change my av.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Doomsday Clock #12 is out today! I read it!

If you didn’t like the show or it’s ending, this will give you the closure you want.

Just kidding, you’re going to poo poo yourselves with rage when you see what the last page is.

I will literally never read it, wanna put it in spoiler tags for the peanut gallery to laugh at

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

I will literally never read it, wanna put it in spoiler tags for the peanut gallery to laugh at

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Wolfsheim posted:

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

By popular demand.

A few things you need to know (not spoilers because old):

- New Rorschach is the son of the prison therapist and was mentored by Moth Man.

- Two new villains, the Marionette and the Mime are introduced. At one point DM was going to vaporize them but stopped when he realized their child was important.

- Veidt’s plan was outed and in 1992 Earth-Watchmen is having a wee nuclear war.

- Doctor Manhattan has been loving with the history of the DC Universe in the process learning that it is actually a “Metaverse” that reforms itself to protect and preserve Superman, the ur-superhero.

-Jon, Veidt, Rorschach 2, Mime and Marionette are all in the DC Universe where Adrian has been manipulating the superheroes into a giant confrontation with Jon.

- Jon believes either Superman will kill him or he destroys the universe since he can no longer see the future.

And away we go:

- Superman does not kill Manhattan. He shows him the power of hope and franchise comic books.

- Jon decides what his universe needs is an inspirational hero like Superman instead of the deadwood shits he is stuck with.

- Manhattan cannot be like Supes since he is not the orphaned son of a superior species raised by loving parents in the heartland. They literally say this out loud.

-Mime and Marionette are now permanent residents of the DC Universe.

- Veidt gets shot but Nu-Rorschach saves his life so he can stand trial.

- Manhattan returns to his universe with everyone else and steals the baby of the Mime and Marionette. Yeet!

-He then gifts him his powers and peaces-out after destroying all the remaining nuclear weapons in the world. He has been inspired by Superman to actually do something proactive. There is not a 10-page derail about agency vs free will.

- the child presents himself to Dan Dreiberg and not-Agent-Blake-in-this-timeline and their daughter Sally. “A friend of your parents sent me, he said your folks would know what to do.

- Kid has a Manhattan logo on his head and says “Jon always called me Clark”

FIN

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

By popular demand.

- New Rorschach is the son of the prison therapist and was mentored by Moth Man.

- Two new villains, the Marionette and the Mime are introduced. At one point DM was going to vaporize them but stopped when he realized their child was important.

- Veidt’s plan was outed and in 1992 Earth-Watchmen is having a wee nuclear war.

- Doctor Manhattan has been loving with the history of the DC Universe in the process learning that it is actually a “Metaverse” that reforms itself to protect and preserve Superman, the ur-superhero.

-Jon, Veidt, Rorschach 2, Mime and Marionette are all in the DC Universe where Adrian has been manipulating the superheroes into a giant confrontation with Jon.

- Jon believes either Superman will kill him or he destroys the universe since he can no longer see the future.

And away we go:

- Superman does not kill Manhattan. He shows him the power of hope and franchise comic books.

- Jon decides what his universe needs is an inspirational hero like Superman instead of the deadwood shits he is stuck with.

- Manhattan cannot be like Supes since he is not the orphaned son of a superior species raised by loving parents in the heartland. They literally say this out loud.

- Manhattan returns to his universe with everyone else and steals the baby of the Mime and Marionette. Yeet!

-He then gifts him his powers and peaces-out after destroying all the remaining nuclear weapons in the world. He has been inspired by Superman to actually do something proactive. There is not a 10-page derail about agency vs free will.

- the child presents himself to Dan Dreiberg and not-Agent-Blake-in-this-timeline and their daughter Sally. “A friend of your parents sent me, he said your folks would know what to do.

FIN

Lmao

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Lol did someone from this thread change my av.

i think they got me too.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

i think they got me too.

It’s not even good red text! I’m disappointed drat y’all could’ve roasted me hard. Oh well next time

Caros
May 14, 2008

It is loving spectacular in a way that I feel such a description can't quite cover. A twelve issue comic series put out over the course of two years as ostensibly a follow up to watchmen and its introduction into DC comics, and the final issue is nothing but wanking over how great superman is.

There is one amazing part that didn't get mentioned for sure:

While they are listing out all of the alternate universes (Superman appears in 38, wait, we mean the 60's. The 80's? 90's? Post Crisis, new 52, who loving knows.) Manhattan sees into the future into wacky future DC teamups:

It is January 2020 and earth 5G is born. Superman goes on a quest to find Bruce Wayne's lost daughter so she can save Bruce's Son.

It is July 10th 2030, Superman fistfights Thor and a 'green behemoth' stronger than doomsday.

April 2038 superman appears in public for the first time. No, wait, the kents find him on their farm. It is 2045 ad the kents get their only child. 2162, they find Clara Kent in a rocket (seems accurate given comic trends).

It is 2965, Superman appears in metropolis for the first time.

I just about died on my coffee at the fact that DC let one of their writers admit in a flagship comic that they will still own copyright and be writing the same loving story for the next millenia.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

By popular demand.

And away we go:

FIN

Incredible

And to think people used to say comics weren't art

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
So they wrote a Watchmen story with the message of “wow, isn’t Superman great?” That is some wild poo poo

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

Incredible

And to think people used to say comics weren't art

Interesting stories:

What happened on Earth-Watchmen after 1985? How did their society change?

What would happen if we told a story about contemporary politics using the world of Watchmen?

Do the Watchmen characters have more to say through a different medium like cinema or television?

Gratuitous:

What would happen if Batman fought Rorschach?

Let’s reboot our comics universe for the X time in N years and blame all the weak poo poo this time on Doctor Manhattan manipulating time and space.

I will say that Gary Frank’s art was gorgeous and epic and he draws truly beautiful Watchmen characters without being a Dave Gibbons clone.

His is really the modern definitive Superman and Lois Lane. Top-shelf art talent on this book.

It really wasn’t bad, but “Watchmen meet the DC Universe” is going to look REALLY different if Geoff Johns does it rather than Alan Moore.

They would never had dared, and it would have literally killed Alan Moore, but I would like to see Grant Morrison write this story.

Also, was worth it to see Guy Gardner (a MAGA CHUD rear end in a top hat who is a Green Lantern) say he’s “going to put some underpants on this rear end in a top hat” and then sucker punch Jon, breaking his neck. Might be the DC Comics scene of the decade, if not the Century.

The HBO show is the sequel, Doomsday Clock is DC vs Watchmen.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

anothergod posted:

The show's main character is black and was duped into doing the bidding of her secretly KKK police chief, defends him against her own family, and ultimately loses the one person she loves. Also, Episode 6 is literally about being a disillusioned black cop and how that wrecks poo poo. I get that this isn't like... The Wire or whatever, but it is miles ahead of literally any leisure media I have seen since. There aren't solutions, but holy poo poo, seriously what is your bar for "hard look at racism"

It's a pulpy look at racism, which fits in with the fact that this is a comic book show, but if you think this it's a hard look rather than just some writers throwing every racism trope they can think of into the show (KKK, hanging, cops are bad/ racist etc) without saying much at all, then you need to up the bar imo.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

holky fcuk
FIN

idk this might actually own if it was illustrated by Ditko and dot-printed on pulp

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I just want to reiterate that the finale was boring and stupid. I am not trolling or being disingenuous. It barely held my attention with its lazy plotting and ham-fisted imagery.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

On a positive note, I want to say that the best thing about this show is that it made me pull the book off the shelf and read it again, for the first time in about ten years. Somehow, it just gets better and better every time.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

MrMojok posted:

On a positive note, I want to say that the best thing about this show is that it made me pull the book off the shelf and read it again, for the first time in about ten years. Somehow, it just gets better and better every time.

Completely agreed. It’s been a true joy re-reading it again

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Arglebargle III posted:

I just want to reiterate that the finale was boring and stupid. I am not trolling or being disingenuous. It barely held my attention with its lazy plotting and ham-fisted imagery.

You must be mistaken - this thread is about the TV show Watchmen, not your posting.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Hey guys, just wanted to chime in that I'm very disappointed that a writers room filled with POC decided to talk about the Black Experience in American rather than solving racism in a scifi tv show about a naked blue man. In the next hour and fourteen minutes, I will explain exactly why the show failed and how it cou...

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Hey guys, just wanted to chime in that I'm very disappointed that a writers room filled with POC decided to talk about the Black Experience in American rather than solving racism in a scifi tv show about a naked blue man. In the next hour and fourteen minutes, I will explain exactly why the show failed and how it cou...

You're only saying that because you were always going to say that. Free will isn't a thing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but:

Arglebargle III posted:

It barely held my attention with its lazy plotting and ham-fisted imagery.

So, you probably just don't know this, but the phrases "lazy writing" and "ham-fisted" in particular are kind of TVIV bugbears because they're essentially meaningless nothing criticisms that can be lobbed at anything and don't make any sense. Accusations of laziness are dumb because writing and creating things is incredibly loving difficult on pretty much any level, and "ham-fisted" is just a hackneyed platitude that conveys absolutely nothing.

The problem isn't with your opinion, it's that what you're saying is not, in and of itself, a coherent criticism. You have to expand on what you mean by that. When I accuse people of trolling this thread, it's because they refuse to do that.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I just wanna give a shoutout to the scene in the finale where the list of grievous offenses of a decade+ long liberal "regime" as catalogued by a white supremacist senator is
1. Took our guns.
2. Made us apologize
and that's it.
That is absolutely 100% accurate and spot on about how loving petty and childish these people are.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
It did well to keept it aimed at the “It’s so hard to be white and navigate a world where your superiority isn’t default” crowd.’

To ask a question again, the song from the theatre in the finale, it’s bugging me and I can’t find it or twig what it is. Does anyone know?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Total Meatlove posted:

To ask a question again, the song from the theatre in the finale, it’s bugging me and I can’t find it or twig what it is. Does anyone know?
looks like an original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNkpkBnaYQQ

lincoln tunnel, vol 3 dropped today
https://nin.lnk.to/Watchmen3

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I just wanna give a shoutout to the scene in the finale where the list of grievous offenses of a decade+ long liberal "regime" as catalogued by a white supremacist senator is
1. Took our guns.
2. Made us apologize
and that's it.
That is absolutely 100% accurate and spot on about how loving petty and childish these people are.

Remember how the Republicans kept saying that Obama went around apologizing for all the bad poo poo GW Bush did? This poo poo isn't created out of nothing, its just taking what has and is happening in the real world.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Colonel Whitey posted:

So they wrote a Watchmen story with the message of “wow, isn’t Superman great?” That is some wild poo poo

Every loving Superman story has to be about how loving great and pure and selfless he is, it's why that character is a complete dead-end in terms of storytelling, even the revered Superman comics are all telling the same story over and over with different stakes. I don't get it and I never will, it never comes off as inspirational so much as insufferably smug with the writer more or less overtly lecturing the reader about the dangers of questioning anything.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I refuse to believe that anyone who's written Watchmen adaptations, sequels and spin offs has actually read the comic.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Every loving Superman story has to be about how loving great and pure and selfless he is, it's why that character is a complete dead-end in terms of storytelling, even the revered Superman comics are all telling the same story over and over with different stakes. I don't get it and I never will, it never comes off as inspirational so much as insufferably smug with the writer more or less overtly lecturing the reader about the dangers of questioning anything.

Superman’s been continuously published for 80 years, maybe they are on to something with this “very good man who always does the right thing” premise.

Two of the greatest and most iconic Superman stories of all time, both involving “he is a very good man who always does the right thing”, were written by one A. Moore of Northampton, England.

Perhaps you are familiar with some of his other works.

You know what’s actually bullshit? Archie. Just gently caress both girls, bro.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hakkesshu posted:

Okay Zack

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I liked the Superman story where this mind controlling villain called domino or something like that convinces supes he has to be a fascist dictator if he is to save humanity from itself. I remember reading it as a teenager so like 16 years ago.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Superman’s been continuously published for 80 years, maybe they are on to something with this “very good man who always does the right thing” premise.

Two of the greatest and most iconic Superman stories of all time, both involving “he is a very good man who always does the right thing”, were written by one A. Moore of Northampton, England.

Perhaps you are familiar with some of his other works.

Oh yeah that guy, he's the dude who wrote that comic about Alice in wonderland loving Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz right

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Oh yeah that guy, he's the dude who wrote that comic about Alice in wonderland loving Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz right

you're thinking of Neil Gaiman lmao

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Arist posted:

Okay Zack

The problem isn't with your opinion, it's that what you're saying is not, in and of itself, a coherent criticism. You have to expand on what you mean by that. When I accuse people of trolling this thread, it's because they refuse to do that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

you don't get to do this and also whine about how mean this thread is to you

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Sulky subversive morally ambiguous Superman is also insanely played out

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, in case you thought you were actually making some kind of point there, me jokingly comparing someone who self-admittedly doesn't get Superman to Zack Snyder, director of Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice does not contradict my appeal for actually trying to articulate an argument instead of making GBS threads all over this thread and also yourself.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Farm Frenzy posted:

Sulky subversive morally ambiguous Superman is also insanely played out

It definitely is, and is also not what I want from that type of story. That's why a character like Dr. Manhattan is a good subversion of the Superman concept - I just think great superhero fiction generally has more to say than "man he sure did overcome the odds by being great and never compromising his morals, what an inspiration". Even that concept has been done in much more interesting ways outside of Superman comics.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Everyone loving loves Mr Rogers put the minute you give him superpowers it's "oh no this is terrible how can you make something worth reading/watching with this?!"

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

It definitely is, and is also not what I want from that type of story. That's why a character like Dr. Manhattan is a good subversion of the Superman concept - I just think great superhero fiction generally has more to say than "man he sure did overcome the odds by being great and never compromising his morals, what an inspiration". Even that concept has been done in much more interesting ways outside of Superman comics.

Superman enjoys a unique position as the original costumed powered superhero. The entire genre is derivative of him.

People in real life often compromise their morals and don’t overcome the odds, that’s why it’s interesting to read about someone who is ‘more than human’ and can overcome human nature.

Personal taste is a thing, nothing wrong with not enjoying Superman. But I think it’s a fundamental misread of the character and genre to say he is not interesting and all his stories are the same.

Every top comics author of the last 50+ years who works in the superhero genre has wanted to write Superman or worked him into their other works somehow.

Kirby. Miller. Morrison. Gaiman. Moore. Busiek. Waid. Starlin.

They ALL wanted to write Superman.

Also, the best character in Watchmen is Ozymandias and I will fight you Veidt Haters(tm). 🐙

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Superman rules.
But it's funny that Geoff Johns wanted to do a story about how Watchmen made superheroes bleak (even though they got out of that bleakness for a bit, went back in, etc) got an incredible talent to draw it and also made it about Crisis-ish multiversal stuff but gotten SO LATE in delivering that book.
Not only the current Superman books are not bleak (and in fact got hindered by what Johns wanted to reveal) but his Crisis-y Watchmen sequel ends just in time to be in the shadow of the tv adaptations of those stories.