Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Frankston posted:

What the gently caress was that weird slug thing in the falcon at the start that never really popped up again for the rest of the movie

Dunno what it is, but it showed up again in the end celebrations. Me and my girlfriend like to laugh at the silly alien designs in Star Wars and that one was a favorite from this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

mastershakeman posted:

The rathtar in tfa? I saw jack Allison post that that's where tfa nosedives and never recovers (maz castle right after) and he's right

Well, you had to have that scene, because what else are you going to do? Have Han and Chewie show up in the Falcon, and cut out the "We're home" line?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

All you need is love and some proton torpedoes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nobody is under the impression that comic book movies are some sort of cinematic masterpieces. That’s why no one has a stick up their urethras about Endgame or whatever being schlock. They are schlock, comic books are schlock. No one is surprised or disappointed because they’re getting exactly what they expect.

On the other hand, Star Wars is somehow Jesus and also Shakespeare, so garbage like TROS hurts extra badly.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

SolarFire2 posted:

"I mean, it would be better if we had the 400 or so people who died in the past couple of hours but yeah. Everything we need."

The everything we need, hope and spark speeches would make sense if they were concerning a group of underdogs that need a morale boost to beat a stronger enemy. However, they somehow come from a leader of the establishment that just got punked by the evil underdogs. It makes no sense. Leia, Holdo and other resistance leaders should be reflecting on how did they let this poo poo happen.

Pollyanna posted:

Nobody is under the impression that comic book movies are some sort of cinematic masterpieces. That’s why no one has a stick up their urethras about Endgame or whatever being schlock. They are schlock, comic books are schlock. No one is surprised or disappointed because they’re getting exactly what they expect.

On the other hand, Star Wars is somehow Jesus and also Shakespeare, so garbage like TROS hurts extra badly.

Star Wars are not Jesus and Shakespeare. They are Star Wars. I know you somehow managed to just notice them like two weeks ago for the first time but they are a cultural icon of their own. ANH and ESB are actual great, well regarder movies. ANH was a groundbreaking film when it came out and still holds up.

Captain Jesus fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 19, 2019

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Leia should have been couped for being the worst leader in history , solely responsible for the entire new republic being destroyed and then the rebellion too

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pollyanna posted:

Ummm, have you just discovered the internet?

Endgame was considered a life changing event to a lot of people. And stories of people in tears over Spidey's death or Tony's. How it was the most important movie in such a long time and more general over fawning. People worship the MCU as the greatest thing ever.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Nobody is under the impression that comic book movies are some sort of cinematic masterpieces.

I have bad news for you friend

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The new Some More News Star Wars edition is loving fantastic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5MTIIou56Y

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pollyanna posted:

Nobody is under the impression that comic book movies are some sort of cinematic masterpieces.

Take it to the Snyderdome!

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

I can't be assed to find the poster who said this gem, but it was spot on:

quote:

"Leia's blithe, smug assertion that she, someone who can barely walk or speak, has everything she needs to restore herself to power- after ~99.99% of her forces have been killed and the entire galaxy has been conquered by nazis- will remain the most perfect and crystalline expression of a particular political moment

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Vintersorg posted:

Endgame was considered a life changing event to a lot of people. And stories of people in tears over Spidey's death or Tony's. How it was the most important movie in such a long time and more general over fawning. People worship the MCU as the greatest thing ever.

:psyboom: ok

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Popelmon posted:

The new Some More News Star Wars edition is loving fantastic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5MTIIou56Y

Why is whenever I click on a Star Wars fan video it's always 45 loving minutes long?

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Why is every Star Wars fan video longer than Star Wars?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Arkhams Razor posted:

It might have gotten messed with a little bit, but I'm inclined to believe that most of the thematic incoherency originates from Johnson himself, if only because similar issues cropped up in Looper when he had full creative control. And despite how bad a hand he was dealt, several of the worst decisions that TLJ made (starting off immediately after TFA, the details of the chase/mutiny plot, the absurd handling of child slaves) were done entirely on his own volition. For all his talk of subverting surface-level expectations, Johnson possesses the same ideological commitment to contemporary liberalism that results in the sort of thematic contradictions that ultimately show up on Crait: ideological sacrifice isn't as important as personal survival, entrenched authority should be respected even as they become increasingly incapable of effective governance, and that the moral righteousness of one's cause makes all material losses irrelevant. This doesn't mean that he is incapable of making good films, just that his specific form of "risk-taking" was entirely compatible with the studio's vison to the extent that it would never truly challenge what it was presenting, or even rise to the level of what the Lucas films were able to say. The only point where I could see major studio interference would be separarting Finn and Poe due to homophobia, but that separation doesn't entail changing the thematic thrust of those scenes, and I don't think Johnson is being insincere when he claims that Rose allows him to better realize those.

I think the primary revisionist force in RoS comes from Abrams' personal distaste for the previous film's characterization choices. And while I agree that this is less interesting (by a matter of marginal degrees), I'm having a hard time pointing to any specific ideological position it actually walks back on that TLJ didn't already do during it's runtime. The roots of this problem come from the fundamental vision of how Disney treats its own properties, but that doesn't mean we should give any of the individuals down the chain a pass; they're happily complicit in this standard themselves.

I completely agree with this

I'm just saying that's it clear TLJ has some wierd as gently caress pacing and editing
It's still pretty mediocre

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 19, 2019

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Disney can

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Dude people in my theater were sobbing and poo poo and I couldn’t help little out a lil laugh. It was just way too funny watching everyone be silent and then grown adults just cry for this movie.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm just saying that's it clear TLJ has some wierd as loving pacing and editing

TLJ is overall disappointing, made worse by being able to see where it could have been so much better. It makes me really sad.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Dude people in my theater were sobbing and poo poo and I couldn’t help little out a lil laugh. It was just way too funny watching everyone be silent and then grown adults just cry for this movie.

Imagine if they were hip and with it, like goons.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

all of these bad movies would have been at least slightly better if they weren't forced into such a tight schedule

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The NMNM correct post zone

No Mods No Masters posted:

The dark, grody embrace of Reylo is the only way forward for star wars. Many have complained that the sequel trilogy lacked the weird sex vibes of the lucas era- well, prepare for course correction :unsmigghh:

Rey's parents will matter again, snoke's ghost will have a role interchangeable with if he had lived in the first place, the arms sellers masterminding all star wars will quietly go in the memory hole, and the rebellion will be staffed up from 10 people to the original amount again offscreen. And so RIP star wars 8, killed effortlessly by JJ being a hack

I wouldn’t overthink it. Rey was the force awakening and the last jedi, might as well assume she’s the rising skywalker too. Embrace the endless trash

I feel Rose is a good character in an unintentional way, insofar as her pablum perfectly reflects the essential hollowness of the resistance in the context of the films and disney wars in the context of reality

[Rey's] a wildly powerful, basically amoral being, deemed noble or righteous more due to fiat of the universe than having any positive character traits. I guess the closest point of comparison is a greek god really

For good or for ill, there has been no clearer illustration of the psychology of the hillary man put to film than star wars 8. It may be a dire film but in this respect it is unquestionably a significant historical artifact

Leia's blithe, smug assertion that she, someone who can barely walk or speak, has everything she needs to restore herself to power- after ~99.99% of her forces have been killed and the entire galaxy has been conquered by nazis- will remain the most perfect and crystalline expression of a particular political moment

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

clown shoes posted:

Why is every Star Wars fan video longer than Star Wars?

You do know what fandom this is right?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zoran posted:

:hmmyes:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zoran posted:

:worship:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Imagine if they were hip and with it, like goons.

It’s a burden we must all carry

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Zoran posted:

respect

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Zoran posted:

It’s a hell of a called shot

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Popelmon posted:

45 minutes of a snarky Star Wars fan reading bad jokes in front of a green screen

No loving thanks

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm just saying that's it clear TLJ has some wierd as gently caress pacing and editing

I know I said it in one of the Star Wars threads before, but TLJ felt like they came up with two separate story outlines and couldn't decide between them so they mashed them together at the cost of characterizations and pacing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zoran posted:

impeccable

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Zoran posted:

This is the most correct series of posts ever written.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

George H.W. oval office posted:

It’s a hell of a called shot

One might say that was one in a million

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The REAL Goobusters posted:

"HAHAHAH, NEEERDS!!!" I scream at them while hiding the fact that I was wiping the tears from my eyes when I thought Batman died in The Dark Knight Rises.

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

mastershakeman posted:

They're both super hot

That's it and I'm gonna holler insanely hard during the makeout scene

No Adam Driver is ugly as gently caress and has a really big snoz and should really have plastic surgery to correct it I'm sorry.

He's not hot. Unless you have a nose sex fetish.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Adam Driver is a gorgeous man.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

riseofmydick posted:

No Adam Driver is ugly as gently caress and has a really big snoz and should really have plastic surgery to correct it I'm sorry.

He's not hot. Unless you have a nose sex fetish.

Hey. This is dumb. No one NEEDS to have plastic surgery, and Driver's look works for him in the roles he gets. I don't think he's a handsome man, but different strokes for different folks.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Vintersorg posted:

Adam Driver is a gorgeous man.

Hayden is relentlessly handsome.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Wild Horses posted:

Hayden is relentlessly handsome.

I guess he got his looks from the Sal-Solo side of the family.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Adam Driver is tall, which counts for a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

adam driver is like one of those dog breeds that manages to be ugly and cute at the same time