Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Khanstant posted:

EoE in play will be fun this time I think.

nah it'll be extremely dogshit again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I want another Chris win ruining another season

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm a little behind still.

Lauren and Noura's true colors coming out. Lauren breaking down when she doesn't feel in control AGAIN and Noura threatening to hide the machetes from her on while on a power trip. gently caress these people.

Deceptive
Dec 27, 2012
Jeff confirming that several players knew Dan was a scumbag but were keeping him as a goat just made me hate third cast even more. You know Tommy was one of them, we saw they were aligned. Yet Tommy still wins.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

gently caress, I hate these assholes and the best thing that could happen was Noura spending the whole finale torturing these entitled smug pricks and then winning the season. I think she did a really solid job explaining her logic and game sense during that tribal. Yes, she's crazy. She admits she's crazy. But there's method to the madness and she was able to explain a lot of that method when directly questioned. I was really starting to think it was possible as that Tribal went on it started to look like (a) Dean was such an rear end in a top hat and everyone saw it and (b) no one seemed to really respect Tommy's game the way people thought they might. And of course they were both such smug entitled pricks they couldn't bridge that gap.

Ah well. An rear end in a top hat won S39 as it was always going to be. Now we get to see Tommy be invisible in S40 and walk to the F8 or something. Yay.

I had to laugh at Lauren's entitled crying and whining and "I'm the best" exit immediately ending with Jeff going "she got cast because my friend asked me to." What was supposed to be the inspiring message there? Make friends with Jeff's friends? But singling her out seems unfair because they're all assholes. She just got the spotlight.

There was no good way to handle the poo poo show of this season but letting Kellee speak alone about it and Jeff admitting they hosed up in multiple ways was probably the best way possible. But...

Deceptive posted:

Jeff confirming that several players knew Dan was a scumbag but were keeping him as a goat just made me hate third cast even more.
Yeah, gently caress. gently caress this cast.

For those of you who don't pay attention to Big Brother, this summer had a similarly lovely cast who spent the entire season bullying people and being misogynistic assholes and in the opinions of many racist. The guy who won was the biggest rear end in a top hat, misogynist, and would be racist who was pulled aside multiple times by production and warned about the things he was saying and doing and who had been in two different showmances and had reduced both women to tears and emotional wrecks multiple times. The whole season was ugly and people only really talked about the horrible poo poo and on finale night right before they named the winner they addressed that stuff, let some of the victims say their peace and call it out, and informed the winner that the audience thought he was a racist, misogynistic, rear end in a top hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ9HM620eeA

I bring it up because its been a hell of a year for CBS reality tv finales.

I wanna be hyped for the season of Survivor we've been waiting for. I'll get there in time. But right now I just need time to get past these assholes.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I was rooting for Tommy but god drat that was a lovely FTC performance. I get that Dean is unlikable but Tommy had nothing but likability to defend his game. Noura owned her wacky poo poo and un-goated her self to no avail.

e: Booo, no Kim Spradlin UTR in the S40 promo. Ben is toast.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 19, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel really bad for Kelle.

Tommy’s jury talk was very effective for me. “I won and didn’t need my own idols” is my jam. But I dunno I actually think Noura might have had the most influence in the makeup of the final 5, although maybe not to her benefit. Like the goat who lead herself to slaughter or something.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well that was a zzzzfest.

I could have predicted everything that was gonna happen tonight other than I guess Noura winning immunity. But eh.

Well let's put this trashfire behind us.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Some stuff about the finale from the press:

quote:

While contestants are paid $10,000 to appear in the final broadcast, some players initially decided to forego the money.

“It was chaos there for awhile,” the production source says. “There were about eight contestants were on the fence, because there would be so much negativity.”

One contestant also tells PEOPLE that many players discussed their options via a group text. “It was like, ‘I’m going, are you? If you don’t go, I might not go, either,” one contestant says. “There was kind of an ‘all for one and one for all’ mentality there, but then it went away.”

Eventually, high-ranking producers — including show host Jeff Probst — personally reached out to the contestants to convince them to appear. One by one, most of the contestants decided to show up for the reunion.

I'm wondering who was on the fence. Jack and Elizabeth I guess, probably Missy and Aaron. I could see Jamal and Kellee - despite their positive reception - veering on not going either until they assured them that Dan wasn't gonna show up. And then... I don't even know. Elaine? Karishma?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm excited for S40 at least. Glad to see people Ethan and Danni from the older era again, and even with newer people like Ben and Wendell I'm curious to see how they play outside the specific circumstances of their original seasons.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Welp, at least now there's an unequivocal "worst season ever" of this show.

Survivor should just lean into the Sia type awards for more of the cast, eg

"Karishma, you've also won! .... dinner for 2 at the nearest Applebee's restaurant. And Noura, you've got a special invitation to join a free session at the Vytas Baskauskas Yoga Studio! And Kellee...to make it up to you, and demonstrate what CBS has learned from this and other incidents - we're inviting you to be on the next season of Love Island, where each week you can choose who will fake friend you, and who will inappropriately grope you. Don't mean to put you on the spot again in front of millions of viewers but tell us how great this is going to be for you! "

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Tommy's win will probably look better after a few seasons, because he did have a pretty impressive social game that saved him more than a few times. But just.... Dan.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm curious about karishma's marriage after everything we saw this season. I mean, I know it's not my business at all, but that whole thing was weird and I just want to know lol.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm curious about karishma's marriage after everything we saw this season. I mean, I know it's not my business at all, but that whole thing was weird and I just want to know lol.

she got so emotional at seeing her roommate at the liked ones visit

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I don't think an arranged marriage is forced; it's more like the parents playing matchmaker. Still up to the 2 people to mutually agree. And considering the divorce rate is already around 40%, it seems as valid as other set ups, like online dating / relationship sites.

Next level strategy: Rob and Amber should start out gunning for Sia money. "Ah shucks I'm just a busted can of vegan Boston baked beans with 4 young girls to feed".

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 19, 2019

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Binary Logic posted:

I don't think an arranged marriage is forced; it's more like the parents playing matchmaker. Still up to the 2 people to mutually agree.

Next level strategy: Rob and Amber should start out gunning for Sia money. "Ah shucks I'm just a busted can of vegan Boston baked beans with 4 young girls to feed".

It's not 'forced' but there is a lot of cultural and societal pressure about it. Asian cultures place a lot of emphasis on filial piety and in places which are very entrenched in conservatism, it's like a black mark when you don't go through with it or you run away halfway. There are honour killings in the really bad places.

But either way, that's not the case here. Karishma already said in exit press that her marriage wasn't arranged, she was just under a bit of pressure to marry since she was a little older and not married yet so she did it a little faster than she wanted to.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I kinda wanted Noura to win.

Terrible, terrible season but there were some positives like Jamal, Kelle, and Elaine.

Next season might be the redemption we need

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Now we get to see Tommy be invisible in S40 and walk to the F8 or something. Yay.

If it makes you feel any better, Tommy is not in season 40

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Tommy is a good winner and I thought last night was pretty enjoyable. I'm also excited for S40.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

CODChimera posted:

I kinda wanted Noura to win.

Terrible, terrible season but there were some positives like Jamal, Kelle, and Elaine.

Next season might be the redemption we need

Noura was the most fun to watch from home but was never going to get any votes. Loved when the entire cast collectively moaned and rolled their eyes when she started into her usual, "Survivor is like being on a date" spiel that they'd probably all heard many times before.

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's not 'forced' but there is a lot of cultural and societal pressure about it. Asian cultures place a lot of emphasis on filial piety and in places which are very entrenched in conservatism, it's like a black mark when you don't go through with it or you run away halfway. There are honour killings in the really bad places.

But either way, that's not the case here. Karishma already said in exit press that her marriage wasn't arranged, she was just under a bit of pressure to marry since she was a little older and not married yet so she did it a little faster than she wanted to.

Thanks for clarifying.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Binary Logic posted:

Welp, at least now there's an unequivocal "worst season ever" of this show.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Well let's put this trashfire behind us.

STAC Goat posted:

gently caress, I hate these assholes...

Zesty posted:

gently caress these people.

:rolleyes: #DontSleepOn39 :rolleyes:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't think this is the worst season but it definitely has the biggest cloud over it.

Dean might have won if he didn't talk himself into a gotcha at the end there with his final 2 alliances. Certainly would have picked up another couple votes at least.

But most importantly, my tier list was accurate :smuggo:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

Noura was the most fun to watch from home but was never going to get any votes. Loved when the entire cast collectively moaned and rolled their eyes when she started into her usual, "Survivor is like being on a date" spiel that they'd probably all heard many times before.
By far the highlight of Final Tribal.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dean single-handedly saved the guy who beat him from being voted out. Nice going!!!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

Dean single-handedly saved the guy who beat him from being voted out. Nice going!!!

It's the funny 115 guy's theory of "the worst thing you can do in survivor is come second" thing, only moreso, right. Dean worked real hard to get Tommy to the end, and he got it.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't think this is the worst season but it definitely has the biggest cloud over it.

Another (sarcastically) favourite part of the season was the big build up of the Final 5 going to IOI beach to meet the game's biggest names only to have Rob and Sandra immediately 'peace out' and leave them there.
No speeches, no advice, just the two of them boating off to pick up their pay cheques for time served.

So in retrospect, going to IOI during the game was one of the worst things that could happen to a player, and after all the mentors' advice the one who benefited most was Dean on a random coin flip. (And finding the idol they left behind. If "outluck" was part of the game's motto he would be an all star.)

And I guess this demonstrates that you should never trust Sandra and/or Boston Rob, even if they aren't playing.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 19, 2019

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The only good part of IOI was Vince's stealth mission, which was one of the best things I've seen on Survivor

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Two people at my workplace knew Tommy IRL and both said he is an amazing person

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

blue squares posted:

The only good part of IOI was Vince's stealth mission, which was one of the best things I've seen on Survivor

Wow, I completely forgot about that under the weight of everything else.

I hope they do more stuff like that in future seasons.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm amused that the person who won the Island of Idols season never actually went to IoI or had an idol all season.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

TMMadman posted:

I'm amused that the person who won the Island of Idols season never actually went to IoI or had an idol all season.

Between this and last season Chris spending 80% of the game on EoE and winning it all, I take some enjoyment that the stupid gimmicks are failing.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Survivor IoI

more like

Survivor lol

:agesilaus:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SweetJahasus posted:

Survivor IoI

more like

Survivor lol

:agesilaus:

:vince:

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hey remember when that one guy had a sleep boner and was rubbing it up against a tribemate back in like season 2-4?

I wonder why the producers didn't come up with an assault strategy after that incident. Also, I've not heard anyone bring that up in context of this season and it seems weird to me.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Tommy is (smartly) playing up the fact that he never laid hands on an idol or advantage and completely defeated the theme of the season by winning while being the one person (outside of filthy Dan) who never got any Rob and Sandra advice.

Dean in his post game stuff also seems to understand what he did wrong, and that not talking to people was not the greatest strategy. Rob even asked him, regarding his late game surge, if he thought he could've won off the game was longer, and his answer was basically "no, because I ignored relationships, and adding extra days or idol plays to my game wouldn't have changed that." Which is remarkably cogent for someone I thought had all of two brain cells for most of the game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ApplesandOranges posted:

Some stuff about the finale from the press:

I'm wondering who was on the fence. Jack and Elizabeth I guess, probably Missy and Aaron. I could see Jamal and Kellee - despite their positive reception - veering on not going either until they assured them that Dan wasn't gonna show up. And then... I don't even know. Elaine? Karishma?

Anyone who didn't do exit press. Elizabeth, Missy, Aaron.

Elaine and Karishma enthusiastically did exit press.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't think its too much of a mystery of who was debating hiding because they were afraid of negativity. Its the people who hid during the season because they were assholes on TV.

evilemu
Sep 26, 2005
Were Rob and Sandra at FTC? Their reactions at tribals were unscripted and the best moments they were on camera. I was really looking forward to seeing them when the jury had a chance to speak.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evilemu posted:

Were Rob and Sandra at FTC? Their reactions at tribals were unscripted and the best moments they were on camera. I was really looking forward to seeing them when the jury had a chance to speak.

they may have been present, but we didn't get to see them at all

FTC sucked in general, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
I think Tommy's win will become more appreciated over time, compared to say Ben or Chris. In the moment people are pretty upset about 5 straight male winners and just how poo poo the circumstances of season 39 were.