Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

No cause if the rules are clear about one thing that they were never clear about that means that they're even less clear about some other things because of reasons I just made up.

(It's a loving crime we didn't get 4.5e with siloed mechanics for like social and exploratory classes that you could mix and match, where they payed the same amount of attention to those as they did combat. Something like Burning Wheel but actually able to fit into a human brain. I can dream. I want to make a Tiefling Warlock Extrovert Grave-Robber, drat it. )

D&D has always been a combat game with some very crudely bolted-on role-playing things. For better or worse. 4e made the combat in itself a fun game.

Would I be interested in a game that was less invested in combat and had more role-playing caked into the system? Hell yes. I already play several. Is that any version of D&D or a retroclone that I know of? gently caress no. Half of them haven't even figured out their basic math. What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
as somebody who started with 3.5, 4e had way better lore in the core book. the 3.5 player handbook didn't even have a write up of whom the gods were that the cleric was supposed to worship

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

CitizenKeen posted:

You'll never run Lancer again? Because it's too crunchy? Please go on.
My style of GMing is just not entirely compatible with a game that focuses on positional combat and encounter-building like that is all. It's not a flaw with the game, I still love the game, but I'm pretty sure I'd have the same problems with 4e considering my own grasp issues with Lancer and Gamma World 7e. I'm more of a narrative and reactive GM.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Elfgames posted:

as somebody who started with 3.5, 4e had way better lore in the core book. the 3.5 player handbook didn't even have a write up of whom the gods were that the cleric was supposed to worship

Huh? Yes it did. It’s in the background chapter with alignment and the height/weight tables.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hostile V posted:

My style of GMing is just not entirely compatible with a game that focuses on positional combat and encounter-building like that is all. It's not a flaw with the game, I still love the game, but I'm pretty sure I'd have the same problems with 4e considering my own grasp issues with Lancer and Gamma World 7e. I'm more of a narrative and reactive GM.
Yeah it's not weird to say that D&D 4E is a combat focussed game, it's only grog if someone thinks that makes it some kind of outlier edition. Similarly "I prefer games that are low crunch" or "I prefer more narrative focussed mechanics" or "I'm more into abstract combat positioning" - fine. "D&D <any edition> is such a game" - brain worms

e: not trying to imply you hold either view BTW, I'm agreeing with you, not trying to rebut you

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 19, 2019

Warthur
May 2, 2004

01011001 posted:

In what way is 4E less designed for Not Combat than any other edition?
The major novel idea it brings to the table for Not Combat is the Skill Challenge system, which was so broken RAW, and broken in the patches, and kept being patched (but remained broken) over the course of 4E's life. Which suggests one of two things:

- Dullbrain option: Turns out that the 4E team were in fact fallible and that designing a game system intended to operate in tandem with a virtual tabletop only for your virtual tabletop project to go off the rails due to a traumatic murder-suicide committed by one of your work colleagues isn't conducive to producing a robust game, and really we should be more astonished that they got as much of 4E as right as they did, with Skill Challenges and monster HPs being notably janky exceptions, rather than the entire game being janked from top to bottom.

- Enlightened galaxy brain option: the genius 4E designers made Skill Challenges bad on purpose, so that they would act as a deterrent for Not Combat; as a result of the horror of Skill Challenges, 4E players were trained to avoid Not Combat because they knew that's where the risk of encountering a Skill Challenge was.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Warthur posted:

The major novel idea it brings to the table for Not Combat is the Skill Challenge system, which was so broken RAW, and broken in the patches, and kept being patched (but remained broken) over the course of 4E's life. Which suggests one of two things:

- Dullbrain option: Turns out that the 4E team were in fact fallible and that designing a game system intended to operate in tandem with a virtual tabletop only for your virtual tabletop project to go off the rails due to a traumatic murder-suicide committed by one of your work colleagues isn't conducive to producing a robust game, and really we should be more astonished that they got as much of 4E as right as they did, with Skill Challenges and monster HPs being notably janky exceptions, rather than the entire game being janked from top to bottom.

- Enlightened galaxy brain option: the genius 4E designers made Skill Challenges bad on purpose, so that they would act as a deterrent for Not Combat; as a result of the horror of Skill Challenges, 4E players were trained to avoid Not Combat because they knew that's where the risk of encountering a Skill Challenge was.

Wait what?

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

oh hey, Olivia Hill's #iHunt rpg is out. As the tagline says, it's about hunting monsters in the gig economy.

http://machineage.tokyo/2019/12/19/ihunt-the-rpg-now-live-for-sale/

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Len posted:

Wait what?

Exactly as it says. As I recall, the developers of the 4e virtual tabletop were a husband and wife duo, then the husband went berserk, killed her, then himself.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

potatocubed posted:

Exactly as it says. As I recall, the developers of the 4e virtual tabletop were a husband and wife duo, then the husband went berserk, killed her, then himself.

I was really hoping it was some sort of murdered (the project) and suicide (their career) thing. And not an actual murder suicide

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

My experience of trying to read the D&D 4e Player's Handbook was that my eyes started glazing over sometime around the fifth power of each class. Since the really interesting parts of the game appear to be in those powers, it made the game really difficult to comprehend. I have similar issues with the long lists of Charms in Exalted, and spells in Mage: the Awakening. There's just so much to take in at once, which is a barrier to my comprehension of the game and what's so fun about it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah that whole mess is one of the big factors into why 4e didn't do as well as WOTC wanted it to do, and thus part of why they ended up going in such a radically different direction for 5e

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arivia posted:

Huh? Yes it did. It’s in the background chapter with alignment and the height/weight tables.

Now, now you can't expect anyone to remember Greyhawk deities in this day and age

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

LatwPIAT posted:

My experience of trying to read the D&D 4e Player's Handbook was that my eyes started glazing over sometime around the fifth power of each class. Since the really interesting parts of the game appear to be in those powers, it made the game really difficult to comprehend. I have similar issues with the long lists of Charms in Exalted, and spells in Mage: the Awakening. There's just so much to take in at once, which is a barrier to my comprehension of the game and what's so fun about it.
Yeah, I can see that. It works much better if you read and select powers for your current level only without trying to plan ahead much, treating the basic class entry without powers as your main decision factor. But then 4E doesn't really do a good enough job of telling you upfront "this is what this class does and how it plays" for that. A much better one than any other edition, if only by virtue of having options that actually do play noticably differently outside of "melee/caster" or "prepared/spontaneous caster", but still not a good enough one.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

potatocubed posted:

They weren't working together and were separated at the time, but otherwise that's right. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_and_Melissa_Batten

Joseph Batten was working on all 4e's virtual tools, which severely hamstrung DDI and meant that the full virtual tabletop they'd promised would hook into the character builder never materialized.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Hostile V posted:

This is entirely fair and valid. I'm obviously a huge Lancer fan but you're absolutely correct, it's a game that is very specifically focused on a certain mode of play and it's not something narrative.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Magnusth posted:

oh hey, Olivia Hill's #iHunt rpg is out. As the tagline says, it's about hunting monsters in the gig economy.

thank you for the notice, it had fallen off my radar and I am very glad to have it fall back on

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

LatwPIAT posted:

It's incredibly dry, yeah. Compare it to something like 13th Age or Strike, which has loads of little asides and commentaries about how you can style things, or reskin them. Something like that would have helped give it a bit more oomph.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I keep forgetting if 4e is terrible because it describes things, or because it doesn't describe things. Did ENWorld ever reach a consensus on that?

Dec 26, 2012

It's both, and neither (because it was terrible due to being WoW on paper, obviously)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Hostile V posted:

Perfect. Thanks. I'm using a total conversion of Lancer to D&D-adjacent fantasy to get back to what I wanted a DDI-less 4E to be, so I'm on the lookout for Lancer criticisms. "That style of game is not the game for me" is an easy one to solve. Thank you again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Have you checked out Let Thrones Beware yet?

I also recommend Empire of Dust, though that's a bitch to find.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Halloween Jack posted:

Have you checked out Let Thrones Beware yet?

I also recommend Empire of Dust, though that's a bitch to find.

I have not. Thank you!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Magnusth posted:

I wish I understood FATE because this sounds very neat

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Thinking about the GURPS Transhuman Space Erotopus and I would like to stop.

I'm a day late but I want to remind everyone of the Thigh Gap Shark from HC SVNT DRACONES.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
What are y’all’s favorite core book just from a reading perspective? I like 13th Age’s authors chiming in and saying “we do it this way but you can do it this other way” and the way that it has a lot of plot hooks that it leaves up to the GM to fill in, like the way it says “things would get real bad if the High Druid and the Orc Lord ever teamed up, hint hint”

I also adore Tenra Bansho Zero, I read both the rule book and the setting book cover-to-cover, but I doubt I’ll ever get my group to run it

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Spire has the best single Core Book I've read because you don't need anything more than it to have a rich setting with the right mix of detail and hook to get you going and empty space for you to work with. Also, really fun classes that immediately make people want to play as them.

There are a lot of other games with decent core books, or lines that I've enjoyed, but for a single book? Spire is probably the best I've read.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Pretty much anything Jenna Moran has ever written. I find her breezy style highly entertaining. (So I bought her novels too. Unclean Legacy is my favourite.)

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

What are y’all’s favorite core book just from a reading perspective? I like 13th Age’s authors chiming in and saying “we do it this way but you can do it this other way” and the way that it has a lot of plot hooks that it leaves up to the GM to fill in, like the way it says “things would get real bad if the High Druid and the Orc Lord ever teamed up, hint hint”

I also adore Tenra Bansho Zero, I read both the rule book and the setting book cover-to-cover, but I doubt I’ll ever get my group to run it

The original Dresden Files RPG (Accelerated is almost as good and far better to play). The original is written as an in-universe artifact from memory by Billy the Werewolf from the Dresden Files universe to teach the rest of the pack about the supernatural world. And you've a mix of "post it notes" and writing in the margins by Billy, Harry Dresden, and Bob the Skull that are a mix of asking for explanations, expanding on lore, and just plain snarking at each other.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The Dying Earth RPG (by Robin Laws) is probably my favorite done-in-one RPG core book. A complete (and very innovative) game, fun to read, and written in a lot of ways to evoke the feeling of the setting it's engaging with.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Dresden Files was such a fun book to read that it's a real pity that the one game I played in it was so awful I never want to touch it again.

Seconding Tenra Bansho Zero as well, and L5R 4e is just gorgeous to page through.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Abyssal Squid posted:

I'm a day late but I want to remind everyone of the Thigh Gap Shark from HC SVNT DRACONES.

Honestly, kinda wish you didn't. :barf:

thetoughestbean posted:

What are y’all’s favorite core book just from a reading perspective?

Gotta go with the crowd, both 13th Age and Dresden Files were really well done books, even if the actual systems themselves ended up not being my jam.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
MÖRK BORG. Everything, from the crazy font use to art that is simultaneously simplistic and masterful to the d66 table where each set of six is a six-line psalm, evokes the image that it's going for. It's just a specific type of pleasure to read.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

thetoughestbean posted:

Troika is gorgeous. I don't love the system in general but Dirk Leichty's art is extremely evocative and the writing makes my imagination run wild.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Leraika posted:

Dresden Files was such a fun book to read that it's a real pity that the one game I played in it was so awful I never want to touch it again.

Yeah it really takes the big mechanical flaws with FATE and drives them up to 11.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Flail Snail posted:

MÖRK BORG. Everything, from the crazy font use to art that is simultaneously simplistic and masterful to the d66 table where each set of six is a six-line psalm, evokes the image that it's going for. It's just a specific type of pleasure to read.
I unironically believe that games which use d66 (such as Troika!) are superior to games which do not.

Dec 26, 2012

36 values is a pretty solid number for a randomized table.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

01011001 posted:

36 values is a pretty solid number for a randomized table.

True fact.

Interesting related fact: Pathfinder 2e has nothing that uses a d100 roll so far but does have it defined. I'm interested to see if they bring it back just for random tables in the GameMastery Guide, which would be a mistake considering all the other better dice math they have throughout the system.

Also I have a copy of Nobilis 2e and it's the prettiest RPG core rulebook I own, even if I probably won't ever run it. My vote for most inspiring definitely goes to the 1e DMG, though.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Godlike is the best core book to read from cover to cover, because it correctly assumes anyone who wants to play a gritty superhero game in WWII is in it for the historical details and weird stories about superpowers. Also, the rules are pretty good and presented well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

potatocubed posted:

Pretty much anything Jenna Moran has ever written. I find her breezy style highly entertaining. (So I bought her novels too. Unclean Legacy is my favourite.)
I can't learn her games from the books. That's a step more important, imo, though I also love paging through Chuubo's.