Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

https://i.imgur.com/nivmCNh.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Nail Rat posted:

I feel like these are questions that won't get a satisfying answer or treatment in a property like Star Wars.
I agree, and am fine with that! There would be no "fun" answer to it other than They're totally people, but also, they enjoy serving organic people. which is maybe the worst answer possible?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

God it's so good!!

I was so surprised to see loving DeathTroopers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1207700996039880711

Mandalorian kind of reminds me of TNG or DS9 structure; mostly standalones with small nods to on-going continuity, while ending a season with a big two-parter. AND IT'S A GOOD STRUCTURE.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

TulliusCicero posted:

Considering they have humanoid slavery as well :yikes:

The Star Wars galaxy is really not a fun place to live

Yeah but that’s relegated to the hutts and imperials and other baddies. Whereas all the main protagonists own themselves a bunch of beep-boops.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah but that’s relegated to the hutts and imperials and other baddies. Whereas all the main protagonists own themselves a bunch of beep-boops.

Translating Uncle Owen's words to "That slave is ours now, I want you to take it to Anchorhead and have it lobotomized" sure makes that scene a Hell of a lot darker.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It actually goes to one of the underlying darker themes of Star Wars and something the Prequels barely touch on, and the Clone Wars did a much better job of: the Old Republic was shady and corrupt as gently caress with all sorts of problems, and the Mid and Outer Rim planets had perfectly valid reasons for wanting to leave besides "Evil Sith Lord manipulates us"

The Jedi Order just upheld the Republic doing shady poo poo, and then the Empire tried to "regulate" it (while allowing it to happen, because pissing off space slugs with unlimited money and a ton of resources is a bad plan)

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I just hope that IG-88 doesn't come flying in to save the day, because they made a big deal about he had to relearn every skill. I didn't see any ships around the old homestead for him to practice on. And it's not like he can walk fast enough to get there

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
One thing I took away from the episode seems to be that this series is all about parenting. IG-11 has an entire flashback about being raised to be gentle despite a violent nature, and it immediately contrasts with the child learning violence from his dad despite an apparent gentle nature. The carnivore comment seems like potential foreshadowing, although that may have been just to setup the ‘eating me’ quote

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Baronjutter posted:

I don't quite understand why Werner got blasted. Was it classic imperial punishment for failure?

Yeah I must've missed something here as well. Fring shot up the bar - was this only because he seemed to know the child wasn't in it? Does he want the child alive or dead? His "means more to me" comment seems like he wants the child alive, but if that's the case, why did his subordinate The Client want the child terminated in the beginning? But then was content to let him sleep when (he thought) they brought him back? Seems like something more is going on there.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

cocoavalley posted:

Yeah I must've missed something here as well. Fring shot up the bar - was this only because he seemed to know the child wasn't in it? Does he want the child alive or dead? His "means more to me" comment seems like he wants the child alive, but if that's the case, why did his subordinate The Client want the child terminated in the beginning? But then was content to let him sleep when (he thought) they brought him back? Seems like something more is going on there.

I have a feeling the Client isn't who they say they are, but I'm not sure

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tie Fighters do not seem like an ideal VIP shuttle

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Nitrousoxide posted:

depends if you fly in a wing of them instead of the blatantly obvious shuttlecraft i guess

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

According to Han the Imperial shuttle was garbo too

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mrs. Moff is taking the kids to vibrosoccer with the Lambda van so he has to go to work in the compact.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Gina Carano Esposito

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TulliusCicero posted:

I have a feeling the Client isn't who they say they are, but I'm not sure

I get the same feeling. The only real evidence we have of the Client being Imperial is his use of stormtrooper guards and Imperial tech, and Moff Gus and his troopers are all in pristine condition. We have no guarantee that he’s not a two-bit Imperial officer who decided to go warlord on a deserted planet with his personal retinue of troopers after finding out the Death Star blew up again and found out about The Child from a non-official source. Maybe Dr. Pershing is the one operating on “official” Imperial business and Herzog is butting in on the project for his own profit. Maybe Pershing is even the one who called in the Moff after the Mandalorian’s assault on the safehouse afforded an opportunity to call for rescue.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Nitrousoxide posted:

He could be a former pilot who just likes doing it. Darth Vader liked to get in the cockpit from time to time

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

He could be a former pilot who just likes doing it. Darth Vader liked to get in the cockpit from time to time

Brb hanging up a huge banner reading "mission accomplished" in aurebesh.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

chitoryu12 posted:

I get the same feeling. The only real evidence we have of the Client being Imperial is his use of stormtrooper guards and Imperial tech, and Moff Gus and his troopers are all in pristine condition. We have no guarantee that he’s not a two-bit Imperial officer who decided to go warlord on a deserted planet with his personal retinue of troopers after finding out the Death Star blew up again and found out about The Child from a non-official source. Maybe Dr. Pershing is the one operating on “official” Imperial business and Herzog is butting in on the project for his own profit. Maybe Pershing is even the one who called in the Moff after the Mandalorian’s assault on the safehouse afforded an opportunity to call for rescue.

Even if Herzog and Moff Fring are part of the same Empire, the Empire was an absolute political snake-pit of favor-currying and power games. Fring deciding to ice Herzog so as not to have to share credit is completely Imperial move.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm sure Fring's TIE some luxury poo poo like hyperdrive and "is able to take more than than two laser blasts."

Also yeah, I get the feeling that he's a former pilot.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah it's nerdy nit picky but it feels weird he arrived in a just a slightly modified standard TIE. By that point the empire had been modernizing to Tie Interceptors and all sorts of more fancy tie variants. Would have been cool to see him arrive in a Tie Advanced, which has shields and hyperdrive. But I have a feeling they wanted to go with the iconic classic tie because people know what that is, which is why even the First Order has gone back to using the exact same shape of TIE for their fighters.

Maybe the empire's remnants are just as suborn and nostalgia-fueled as Disney thinks the audience is. They've gone back to the classic first generation TIE body style as part of their desperate attempt to harken back to the height of the empire, the good old days.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

cocoavalley posted:

I'm guessing he doesn't get along with the boss, preferred the child dead to slow down whatever power building the Moff is doing. The Empire seems full of intrigue, back-stabby types. Gus found out and flew in to personally deal with it once he was sure the kid wasn't there.

(hopefully not spoilery) What I hate is the hologram clearly shows him standing to give his order with a wave of his hand, then it shows him landing. Does he fly standing up?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Everyone posted:

Even if Herzog and Moff Fring are part of the same Empire, the Empire was an absolute political snake-pit of favor-currying and power games. Fring deciding to ice Herzog so as not to have to share credit is completely Imperial move.

Lol if this is why because this Spaghetti Western in space did a loving better job then of explaining how the Imperial Remnant works than 3 loving movies did

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 19, 2019

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Pez posted:

What I hate is the hologram clearly shows him standing to give his order with a wave of his hand, then it shows him landing. Does he fly standing up?

c'mon man.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Pez posted:

I'm guessing he doesn't get along with the boss, preferred the child dead to slow down whatever power building the Moff is doing. The Empire seems full of intrigue, back-stabby types. Gus found out and flew in to personally deal with it once he was sure the kid wasn't there.

(hopefully not spoilery) What I hate is the hologram clearly shows him standing to give his order with a wave of his hand, then it shows him landing. Does he fly standing up?

He's one of those manic CEOs who demanded a standing desk. In his starfighter.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Nail Rat posted:

Carl Weathers the Star Wars character is the Carl Weathers from Arrested Development.

I made this joke after the second episode established that Carga apparently conducts all his business in the same bar booth so he doesn't have to get up or reschedule his lunch:

I also agree that this show is doing a great job of filling in the worldbuilding mortar between the original and sequel saga. All it needs is one monologue from Moff Gideon opining that palpatine gave the galaxy a shield from its center, but now needs a sword pointed from its fringes and it'll have done more than tfa and tlj did in establishing the First Order's whats and whys

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 19, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I still want to know if every single bounty hunter on Navarro got to meet with The Client, if he gave them all the same basic praise and speil tailored to their background, and if they all got offered the Beskar or if he had a culturally significant priceless payment in kind for everybody. "Ah, yes, these Trandoshan Knife-Crystals will make your Force Pike incredibly sharp, if you can find the reptile to hone them!"

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 19, 2019

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Please guest star Dave Navarro as the mayor of the planet

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

kiimo posted:

Please guest star Dave Navarro as the mayor of the planet

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks of him every time they say it

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Owlbear Camus posted:

I still want to know if every single bounty hunter on Navarro got to meet with The Client, if he gave them all the same basic praise and speil tailored to their background, and if they all got offered the Beskar or if he had a culturally significant priceless payment in kind for everybody. "Ah, yes, these Trandoshan Knife-Crystals will make your Force Pike incredibly sharp, if you can find the reptile to hone them!"

Yeah, I imagine every non-human hunter got some kind of Lovecraftian racist spiel that praised their "savage" culture.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

By that point the empire had been modernizing to Tie Interceptors and all sorts of more fancy tie variants.

Not every wing gets the new hotness, especially when your government collapses. There's billions of them laying around, like a MiG-21.

Plus, you know the design works and is cheap to build, so why not keep building them for the First Order too...like the C-130 and the projected 90 year production line.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Beskar is fungible in a world of scrip and specie

All the other bounty hunters would've sold the drat poo poo not made it into a money suit.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

zoux posted:

made it into a money suit.

You don't have to track down bounties to become rich! You just have to know about all the free money programs from the New Republic that you're already eligible for! Did you know that you can get a government subsidy to NOT herd nerfs?! Howabout 20,000 credits a month as a stipend while you attend free training for a career in Tracking Fob Repair?!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How do the tracking FOBs work? What do they track exactly? Does every being in starwars have some tracking chip implanted and if you know its secret code anyone can track you?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

How do the tracking FOBs work?

Quite well, it would seem.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

My brother just told me the latest Crazy Fan Rumor.. that Greef activated some hidden routine in IG-11 after killing his crew, who then waited for and shot Kulil as he was entering the Razor Crest, and handed Baby Yoda to the stormbikers?!

Only thing I can say that jibes with this is that they don't show any scene where the bikers are shooting Kulil, they just cut to a dropped comlink and him sprawled out on the desert near his ride.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 19, 2019

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Binary Badger posted:

My brother just told me the latest Crazy Fan Rumor.. that Greef activated some hidden routine in IG-11 after killing his crew, who then waited for and shot Kulil as he was entering the Razor Crest, and handed Baby Yoda to the stormbikers?!

Why did he throw baby yoda on the ground for the scout troopers to swoop in and pick up?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Baronjutter posted:

Why did he throw baby yoda on the ground for the scout troopers to swoop in and pick up?

He doesn't like kids? Or maybe some of Kulil's programming stuck with him (don't crush lizard babies!) or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Do you think when Baby Yoda ran up to the cockpit and started jerking the ship around, do you think it was because he'd overheard/intuited Mando/Cara's plan and didn't want to go back to Navarro?