Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
This was from two years ago:

quote:

Coughlin told ESPN's Dan Graziano that he is indeed a tangible presence at the Jags' training camp practices and that he doesn't plan to change that.

"I'm not going to adjust who I am or how I go about it," Coughlin said. "I walk the practice fields and I say what I want to say, even to the head coach. 'I don't like this, I like this.' And it's a constant critique. And [head coach Doug Marrone] been very welcoming."

According to Graziano, some players refer to "Coach Coughlin" alongside "Coach Marrone."

Additionally, Coughlin is putting his fingerprints on the team culture. There's a dress code for practices, players are expected to arrive five minutes early to every meeting — though he set the clocks back five minutes, so it's really ten minutes early — and practices are long and padded. Coughlin said of the culture he's trying to instill:

"The culture of understanding what it takes to win? For a team that has not won anything in five years? It's not easy. It's not an easy thing. So practices are 2˝ hours long. They're fully padded. They'll be in the heat. There's a lot of contact. You work your way into the understanding that nothing good has ever been accomplished without sacrifice — sacrifice, self-denial and discipline, the discipline that goes with it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

SI released a list of head coaching candidates: https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/17/nfl-head-coaching-candidates-to-watch

The list, but if you click the article there's brief analysis blurbs for each candidate.

quote:

Bret Bielema, defensive line coach, New England Patriots

If loving Bert gets an NFL HC job after driving Arkansas into the ground I'm going to laugh a whole lot.

e: He hasn't even loving done anything else until this year. In 2018 he was a 'consultant to the head coach' which means he did jack poo poo other than maybe sit there and let Belicihick bounce some ideas off of him.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 19, 2019

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I would be really really surprised if anyone from the Rams offensive staff gets an interview this year

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Sports, and the NFL's one-and-done playoff format in particular, are awesome in that some small stroke of luck, maybe the right few players getting hot at the right time, can change a team's fortunes and a 9-7 team can beat perhaps the best overall team in history

However, a bunch of people might take that randomness as irrefutable validation that everything they do is right and correct and out comes Tom Coughlin

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1207754456818835456?s=20

quote:

The clocks in Duval are back to standard time.

Tom Coughlin, ever the stickler for punctuality, had the clocks set five minutes ahead at the Jacksonville Jaguars' facility, aka "Tom Coughlin Time." After his Wednesday firing, the timekeepers were changed back to normal time.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The logic of setting all your clocks five minutes fast is just so mind numbingly stupid. I can understand asking people to be five minutes early for meetings. But then setting all the clocks ahead is just pointless. Just loving ask people to be 10 minutes early if that's what you loving want.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The logic of setting all your clocks five minutes fast is just so mind numbingly stupid. I can understand asking people to be five minutes early for meetings. But then setting all the clocks ahead is just pointless. Just loving ask people to be 10 minutes early if that's what you loving want.

if you don't have oodles of stupid, stupid rules nobody else would ever have how are you ever going to take credit for your team getting lucky/doing well by saying it was the result of one of your idiot rules instead of the players

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I hate Tom Coughlin

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Positional coaches getting head coaching jobs after this year is so counter intuitive that it has to be true.

Kitchens headed to 7-9 at best looking like a lost disaster
Zach Taylor has 1 win and will likely finish that way while looking hapless. He's got the next Hue Jackson written on him tank or not.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Out of SI's list the only ones I have any confidence on actually performing well as a head coach: Saleh, Roman, Toub, Leftwich, Frazier. McCarthy will be OK if he actually did genuinely revamp himself instead of going through the motions. Rivera probably needs a year off. Everyone else really hasn't shown any indication that they can lead an entire team as opposed to, like, putting together packages and calling plays.

Bielema on that list is hilarious. There's no chance he'll get any NFL players to respect him.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

My work laptop is somehow 4 minutes fast, and helpdesk can't fix it. It's driving me crazy.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Apparently Mike McCarthy hired some ex-coaches to hang around with this season and pretend they are the 33rd NFL coaching staff. They have been really getting into analytics and game planning as if they are coaching, it sounds like a really good idea and I think he should be a top guy for hiring this year.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I love that they immediately undid this as soon as he was shitcanned. Everyone was obviously beyond done with his incompetent drill sergeant schtick.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think McCarthy to the Jags would be actually a really good fit. You have Foles and Minshew who both stand to benefit a lot from his QB school, and there's enough pieces still on the defense that he can focus on the offense. Fat Mike also isn't really that much of a hardass (hotels aside) so it'd be a nice change of pace after Coughlin.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Tom Coughlin is so toxic and awful that the Jags are going to embrace The Patriot Way in the hopes of escaping that which is about all that needs to be said about him ever again.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Out of SI's list the only ones I have any confidence on actually performing well as a head coach: Saleh, Roman, Toub, Leftwich, Frazier. McCarthy will be OK if he actually did genuinely revamp himself instead of going through the motions. Rivera probably needs a year off. Everyone else really hasn't shown any indication that they can lead an entire team as opposed to, like, putting together packages and calling plays.

Bielema on that list is hilarious. There's no chance he'll get any NFL players to respect him.

Ron always looked more like one to delegate and focus on the big picture than play calling (until he took over the defense). I think he'd do fine coming back next year if he doesn't stick with His Guys as coordinators.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The clock thing cant be true. Thats so loving stupid I cant handle it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Barudak posted:

It's true, he was known for it with the Giants.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ches Neckbeard posted:

How the gently caress do you justify giving this another year?

https://twitter.com/ByNateUlrich/status/1207722894576488449

continuing to work on. something about that phrase is just funny. it's got the stench of failure

DariusLikewise posted:

Apparently Mike McCarthy hired some ex-coaches to hang around with this season and pretend they are the 33rd NFL coaching staff. They have been really getting into analytics and game planning as if they are coaching, it sounds like a really good idea and I think he should be a top guy for hiring this year.

Don't let him fool you so easily man. The idea is good, until you remember that it's just a ridiculous ploy by McCarthy to get another job. I wouldn't hire that dude for any position

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

DariusLikewise posted:

Now that's what I call fantasy football

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Hopefully they'll have it all ironed out and fixed in time for week 17.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

Hopefully they'll have it all ironed out and fixed in time for week 17.

Or at least the wildcard round!

They're still alive for the playoffs!

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

That's been a Jarvis Landry thing for a long while now.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

SKULL.GIF posted:

SI released a list of head coaching candidates: https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/17/nfl-head-coaching-candidates-to-watch

The list, but if you click the article there's brief analysis blurbs for each candidate.

jesus christ i remember watching kellen moore and mike kafka play in college and now they’re gonna be head coaches?

like holy poo poo when did i get so fuckin old

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

DariusLikewise posted:

Seems like a good idea to stay in coaching "shape" but how would you even judge your game plans?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Kellen Moore is only included because he was a hot name in the first 3 weeks of the season before everyone realized the Cowboys were frauds who had only beaten cupcakes.

That 12-10 game against New Orleans ended any hope he had of getting a job this year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Barudak posted:

I believe it. I had a boss who used to say that "five minutes early is on-time, and on-time is late," so he had the clock in the executive conference room set five minutes off.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Simplex posted:

Kellen Moore is only included because he was a hot name in the first 3 weeks of the season before everyone realized the Cowboys were frauds who had only beaten cupcakes.

That 12-10 game against New Orleans ended any hope he had of getting a job this year.

Kellen Moore is going to be promoted to be the Cowboys' Head Coach after Jerry promotes Jason Garrett to a front office job.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

King Hong Kong posted:

Tom Coughlin is so toxic and awful that the Jags are going to embrace The Patriot Way in the hopes of escaping that which is about all that needs to be said about him ever again.

They're going to cheat?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Kalli posted:

Or at least the wildcard round!

They're still alive for the playoffs!

Nah, they needed Indy to win vs N.O this past Monday in order to be mathematically alive.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Timby posted:

I believe it. I had a boss who used to say that "five minutes early is on-time, and on-time is late," so he had the clock in the executive conference room set five minutes off.

The Army was notorious for "14 minutes early is one minute late". It was also notorious for succeeding levels of supervision wanting their people 15 minutes prior to the next level.

The worst I've seen was PT at 6, platoon sergeant wanted them there at 5:45, section sergeant said 5:30, and a team chief said "15 minutes prior to SSG -" and was told to go gently caress himself by everyone on and many people not on his team.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Timby posted:

I mean this sincerely, this person is so awful and stupid that Ive decided they cant exist

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Nah its pretty common. In film we often say "10 minutes early is on time", because that gives you time to get a snack and chat, then when the crew call actually happens you start work right away

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its not the "be early to everything" thats getting me, its changing the time on clocks because its literally impossible for that to create the result they want.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GD_American posted:

The Army was notorious for "14 minutes early is one minute late". It was also notorious for succeeding levels of supervision wanting their people 15 minutes prior to the next level.

The worst I've seen was PT at 6, platoon sergeant wanted them there at 5:45, section sergeant said 5:30, and a team chief said "15 minutes prior to SSG -" and was told to go gently caress himself by everyone on and many people not on his team.

Hurry up and wait

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Barudak posted:

Its not the "be early to everything" thats getting me, its changing the time on clocks because its literally impossible for that to create the result they want.

Oh yea def, thats psycho

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

DariusLikewise posted:

:lol: what the gently caress is this

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
25% of all player grievances filed with the NFLPA this year were by Jaguars players

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Squinky v2.0 posted:

25% of all player grievances filed with the NFLPA this year were by Jaguars players

for reference, that means that jaguars players were more than ten times more likely to file a grievance than a member of any other team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

SHOAH NUFF posted:

:lol: what the gently caress is this

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/16/mike-mccarthy-coaching-nfl-fmia-week-15-peter-king/