Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

stevewm posted:

It can be a technical limitation depending on delivery medium. At least for cable providers, the communications standard used (called DOCSIS) generally allocates more channels for downstream than it does upstream, hence the huge asymmetry in speeds.

Fiber on the other hand, there is no technical reason for that delivery method to be asymmetrical. Fiber networks are basically Ethernet over fiber; they can easily go 1Gbps both directions.

My fiber provider does it too, but only with their 1Gb package which is 1g/500m. All the other packages are symmetrical.

I would imagine the real reason is cost.. It may be that bandwidth going out of the providers network is more expensive than what comes in. But that is just speculation on my part, I have no idea how bandwidth is priced for ISPs.

allegedly DOCSIS 1 was super super disgusting

all the cable infrastructure was so designed to handle "switching" (using that metaphorically since cable isn't packet switched) mpeg frames at line speed, so IP packets were encapsulated in MPEG frames so that the infrastructure could get it to the destination without having to reengineer the entire headend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Oh god, that’s equal parts amazing and horrifying.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CenturyLink dropped off a flying announcing their new gigabit fiber service but I can't shake the feeling that dumping Comcast for them would be like settling for the equal evil

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Fallom posted:

CenturyLink dropped off a flying announcing their new gigabit fiber service but I can't shake the feeling that dumping Comcast for them would be like settling for the equal evil

Changing ISPs is a pain in the rear end but if they've got a good new user package price it can be worthwhile.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CenturyLink fiber has been amazing.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Rexxed posted:

Changing ISPs is a pain in the rear end but if they've got a good new user package price it can be worthwhile.

Don't forget the option to use that as leverage to lower your rates with your existing provider.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Internet Explorer posted:

CenturyLink fiber has been amazing.

The provided router they gave out 2.5 years ago had poor wifi, despite being ac. I switched to my own router, although they probably have a newer model now. Also they call the router a "modem" to give you the impression you need it. It's not a modem, it's a router preconfigured to vlan 201. You do of course get an ONT.

I have had some trouble configuring IPv6. I think it's set as 6rd and when I enable it, Facebook is really slow loading images. I found posts on Reddit complaining about this but couldn't find a solution.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
Our local ISP here in Quebec supposedly runs Docsis 3.1 on download and still operates 3.0 on upload. Download speed is capped at 1G for download and something like 50m for upload on their fastest plan. I dont think we will see near symetrical speeds on cable until Docsis 4.0 which is supposed to be symetrical and low latency to somewhat compete with a ftth service. I think it will be a while before we see Docsis 4.0 in the field.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
I’m soon going to be leaving behind 3 years of Xfinity and heading home to Fios country. I’m thinking that since I will be moving from an apartment that I rented into a home that I’ve purchased it makes financial sense to purhase a cable modem rather than renting one from Verizon for $15 a month.

I’m eyeballing the gig package and I was hoping someone may have some recommendations for me in terms of what to purchase. The modem will be in my computer room on the 2nd floor where I’ll use a wired connection to connect it to my PC. Otherwise all additional connections will be via wi-fi.

Any suggestions?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is it a modem you need or a router? Fios goons, what kind of equipment is needed?

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Charles posted:

Is it a modem you need or a router? Fios goons, what kind of equipment is needed?

Depends. Will you be having TV service or just internet? if it is just Internet, you don't need equipment from them, they would use the ethernet from the ONT box they install in your house to your router of choice. a Ubiquiti ER-X would be my suggestion, price is right, performance is right.

If you need a Fios official router, i have one for sale. and for wi-fi a Ubiquiti UniFi AC Lite

ER-X:
https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-ER-X-Router/dp/B0144R449W/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=edgerouter+er-x&qid=1576185833&sr=8-2

UniFi AC Lite:
https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Unifi-Ap-AC-Lite-UAPACLITEUS/dp/B015PR20GY/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=unifi+ac+lite&qid=1576185867&sr=8-1

derk fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 12, 2019

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

derk posted:

Depends. Will you be having TV service or just internet? if it is just Internet, you don't need equipment from them, they would use the ethernet from the ONT box they install in your house to your router of choice. a Ubiquiti ER-X would be my suggestion, price is right, performance is right.

If you need a Fios official router, i have one for sale. and for wi-fi a Ubiquiti UniFi AC Lite

ER-X:
https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-ER-X-Router/dp/B0144R449W/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=edgerouter+er-x&qid=1576185833&sr=8-2

UniFi AC Lite:
https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Unifi-Ap-AC-Lite-UAPACLITEUS/dp/B015PR20GY/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=unifi+ac+lite&qid=1576185867&sr=8-1

I don't know quite yet if it's just internet or internet + television. It's one of those things where the tv package is just an additional $10 a month or so, and while I probably wouldn't make much use of the TV outside of watching Caps games, it may be useful to have TV for entertaining guests and such.

What model is your router?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Set up a Deco M5 mesh kit yesterday. All the devices on the network got up and running without a hitch. Although, when I enabled "Fast Roaming" in the Deco app, an older 2008 iMac couldn't connect to the mesh anymore, so had to forgo enabling that setting unfortunately.

Question though: the Deco node in the basement is placed roughly ~35 feet away from a Roku Ultra LT which has dual-band wireless AC wifi. Looking at the device in the Deco app shows it's only connecting on the 2.4GHz band. Does 5GHz band not reach that far typically?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Are you using DFS 5GHz bands? Rokus won't use those bands. Supposedly has to do with their remotes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are you using DFS 5GHz bands? Rokus won't use those bands. Supposedly has to do with their remotes.

I have no idea what DFS is, lol. I poked around the Deco settings and doesn't seem like there's anything related to that. The Roku Ultra LT spec sheet lists it has 802.11ac dual-band MIMO.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

teagone posted:

I have no idea what DFS is, lol. I poked around the Deco settings and doesn't seem like there's anything related to that. The Roku Ultra LT spec sheet lists it has 802.11ac dual-band MIMO.

https://www.networkcomputing.com/wireless-infrastructure/dynamic-frequency-selection-part-3-channel-dilemma

It's the greyed out channels listed below. You're legally allowed to use them as long as your hardware backs off as soon as it detects stuff like weather radar etc in that same frequency range.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Deco router had set the 5GHz channel to 36 from what I remember.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Das_Ubermike posted:

I don't know quite yet if it's just internet or internet + television. It's one of those things where the tv package is just an additional $10 a month or so, and while I probably wouldn't make much use of the TV outside of watching Caps games, it may be useful to have TV for entertaining guests and such.

What model is your router?

https://www.amazon.com/FIOS-Verizon-Gateway-Quantum-G1100/dp/B01ETSPPEO

Mine also says Frontier on it, pay no attention to that, lol.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

If you're getting gigabit fios, the ER-X might be too slow (at least according to what I've heard and the OP).

On the topic of gigabit upload speeds, my ATT fiber is consistently around 940 Mbps both ways. I guess it depends on the provider.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Looking for some advice! We just moved into a condo we purchased and are having some wifi issues. We previously lived in essentially a box with 4 rooms, so wifi was never an issue because of distance, and I was able to run ethernet to my PC and the PS4 for streaming and gaming. New place is a pretty long condo, one floor, and of course the only active coax line is in the front corner of the living room. WiFi networks are visible in the back bedroom and say they're connected, but there's no service. We have this combo modem/router: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IF0JAYE/ref=twister_B01N0BGGA1?_encoding=UTF8&th=1. Should also mention we have Xfinity, 300mbps.

PC will be midway through the house, and I don't have the means to run ethernet through the walls currently. Nor do I want to run a long cable through the house just for game time, because that's janky as hell. Should I be looking at a mesh system? Just a better cable modem and higher quality router? Back bedroom just needs decent wifi for laptop/streaming. Not sure if wireless will be enough for the PC or if I should be looking into something wired either. Appreciate any advice!

IntensivePorpoises
Sep 23, 2012
I have a Netgear router running OpenWRT. I have it set up as an OpenVPN server, and an OpenVPN client can connect to it just fine. My problem is that the OpenVPN client can only connect to hosts on the internet; the VPN client can't connect to hosts inside the LAN. The Netgear router is 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1. All my non-VPN devices on the network are on 192.168.1.0/24, and the VPN clients are on 192.168.2.0/24. Here's my OpenVPN server config:

verb 3
user nobody
group nogroup
dev tun0
port 1194
proto udp
server 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0
topology subnet
keepalive 10 120
persist-tun
persist-key
client-config-dir ccd
push "dhcp-option DNS 192.168.2.1"
push "dhcp-option DOMAIN lan"
push "redirect-gateway def1"
push "persist-tun"
push "persist-key"
push "route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0"

The client-config-dir has one file in it, "client", which contains the line:

iroute 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here but I'm stuck.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Do you have a firewall rule defined to allow traffic between the .1 and .2 subnets?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Logged in to the GUI only my ER-X recently in the first time in a while and chrome kept stuttering and temporarily freezing up. Tried a few times since and still the same.
So I have just logged in through Firefox instead which seems to work fine, took a config backup and upgraded the firmeware from v2.0.3 to v2.0.8 but the same thing is still happening in Chrome? It affects other tabs/windows not just the GUI page.
A cursory google search and nothing obvious seems to have come up. I'll check whether there's any chrome addon conflicting.

Anyone come across this? Hardly the end of the world, but may be a sign of some other issue?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I did a big network upgrade recently, moved from a single Netgear router w/ wifi in the basement (and multiple wifi dead zones in our 3 story townhouse) to a full Ubiquiti Unifi setup. I installed a 12U rack in the basement, punched down all of my ethernet runs to a proper patch panel, installed a USG-4-Pro router/security gateway, a 24-port PoE managed switch, a PDU, a UPS, and a few RaspberryPis (one for the Unifi controller software, one running HomeAssistant, and two running pihole/Unbound DNS/dnsmasq) plus I put an HD In-Wall AP on each of the non-basement levels. Overall I’ve been really pleased, especially with the improved wifi coverage.

I’ve only done a basic network config though, all my stuff is joining the same wifi network and in the same /24 subnet. I’d like to dig deeper into the Unifi capabilities but I’m having a hard time finding good documentation or guides/tutorials. Half the functionality in the UI is marked as Beta and best practices seem to change a lot, so a lot of the info I’m finding is out of date.

I figure that at the least I should have a 2nd wifi network with an unbroadcast SSID for IoT stuff. I don’t see a huge need for a guest network, my friends never try anything intensive that would justify rate-limiting. Not sure if carving up some VLANs would be helpful for my use case? I’d like to do some QoS stuff — wife works from home, would like the port in her office to get preference during the day while my gaming pc gets preference in the evenings so friends streaming plex don’t affect my ping — but have heard that QoS may limit my maximum throughput? I’m also curious about the IDS/IPS capabilities but not willing to limit my 1Gbps connection to 250Mbps, which seems to be the tradeoff.

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions or links to current and useful docs/guides/best practices, I’d appreciate it.

VV That's the exact info and recommendations I was looking for, thank you!

Lawen fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 19, 2019

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
The official guides are typically the first place I look for doing UniFi configurations. I wouldn't worry too much about using features marked as Beta.

Setting up a VLAN for your IoT devices (create a 2nd "Corporate" network and specify a VLAN), attaching it to a 2nd WiFi network (create a new Wireless Network, set the VLAN to the one you made previously), and preventing inter-VLAN routing would be good to do. Doing all this will completely isolate your IoT devices, preventing them from accessing any of your other network devices (you can make exceptions in the firewall if you want to directly access your IoT things).

Turning on any features that aren't hardware accelerated (QoS, IDS/IPS) means that all packets have to be processed by the CPU which causes the severe reduction in bandwidth. You may want to look into what options Plex has to limit itself if you're not willing to limit your gigabit internet connection. As for IDS/IPS, I wouldn't find much reason to turn it on for a home network as the number of ports you have exposed to the internet is typically very limited. Don't forward ports for RDP or SSH, instead create a client vpn so that you can securly connect to your network and access your devices though that.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

MeKeV posted:

Logged in to the GUI only my ER-X recently in the first time in a while and chrome kept stuttering and temporarily freezing up. Tried a few times since and still the same.
So I have just logged in through Firefox instead which seems to work fine, took a config backup and upgraded the firmeware from v2.0.3 to v2.0.8 but the same thing is still happening in Chrome? It affects other tabs/windows not just the GUI page.
A cursory google search and nothing obvious seems to have come up. I'll check whether there's any chrome addon conflicting.

Anyone come across this? Hardly the end of the world, but may be a sign of some other issue?

I am new to using the er-x. But from my reading and understanding was to stay away from any of the 2.x firmwares and just use the latest 1.x firmware. That is where I am at and have had 0 issues thus far. I also use firefox for all my networking gui stuff.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I have been using an ER-X for about 3 years now and periodically updating the firmware as it is released, and currently using the latest 2.x version with seemingly no issues.

Should I downgrade to the last 1.x firmware available?

derk
Sep 24, 2004

WarMECH posted:

I have been using an ER-X for about 3 years now and periodically updating the firmware as it is released, and currently using the latest 2.x version with seemingly no issues.

Should I downgrade to the last 1.x firmware available?

I honestly don't know for sure. from what i read is people were losing speed using the 2.x firmware, not getting full gigabit speeds. that was enough for me to stay away so i haven't tried anything but the latest 1.x firmware.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

derk posted:

I honestly don't know for sure. from what i read is people were losing speed using the 2.x firmware, not getting full gigabit speeds. that was enough for me to stay away so i haven't tried anything but the latest 1.x firmware.

You can check the release notes. The following is listed for the latest 2.x firmware:
Known issues:
Performance - Throughput degradation by 5-10% when comparing with v1.10.9 firmware with older kernel
VPN - IPsec and VLAN offloading on ER-X/ER-X-SFP and EP-R6 does not work
VPN - L2TP remote access VPN does not work with Android6/7 L2TP clients, but works with Android9 client though)
LoadBalancing - LoadBalancing sometimes fails to recover after switching to failover interface
WebGUI - Sometimes statistics in WebGUI is "freezing" and page refresh is needed in order to weke it up
DPI - Sometimes DPI is reporting wrong rx/tx counters

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Armacham posted:

You can check the release notes. The following is listed for the latest 2.x firmware:
Known issues:
Performance - Throughput degradation by 5-10% when comparing with v1.10.9 firmware with older kernel
VPN - IPsec and VLAN offloading on ER-X/ER-X-SFP and EP-R6 does not work
VPN - L2TP remote access VPN does not work with Android6/7 L2TP clients, but works with Android9 client though)
LoadBalancing - LoadBalancing sometimes fails to recover after switching to failover interface
WebGUI - Sometimes statistics in WebGUI is "freezing" and page refresh is needed in order to weke it up
DPI - Sometimes DPI is reporting wrong rx/tx counters

and that is the performance drop people were talking about that i read and stayed away from. i don't need any fancy gui or other features if the performance is going to drop. give me the basic gui with full performance anyday.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

It's not even a fancy GUI, it's a kernel update because Debian Wheezy for MIPS is out of support, which is what 1.x runs. They've been backporting security fixes but want to get away from that. I think 1.x is actually missing some security fixes right now. Not sure when or if they'll get around to updating it again.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
So will it let you go back to an older firmware?

I haven't noticed any performance/speed issues so probably just leave it as is.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, you can downgrade from 2.x to 1.10.x.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Inept posted:

It's not even a fancy GUI, it's a kernel update because Debian Wheezy for MIPS is out of support, which is what 1.x runs. They've been backporting security fixes but want to get away from that. I think 1.x is actually missing some security fixes right now. Not sure when or if they'll get around to updating it again.

I forget the specific details but basically:

1.x firmwares are based on a v3.10 kernel compiled for MIPS
2.x firmwares are based on v4.xx kernels which apparently don't have full support for the hardware acceleration portion of their specific MIPS platform (cavium Octeon)

There's a bunch of new security and feature support baked in the v4.x linux kernel which most home users would never care about, like VRF, but eventually we all have to stop using the older kernel as it stops getting updates.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

I forget the specific details but basically:

1.x firmwares are based on a v3.10 kernel compiled for MIPS
2.x firmwares are based on v4.xx kernels which apparently don't have full support for the hardware acceleration portion of their specific MIPS platform (cavium Octeon)

There's a bunch of new security and feature support baked in the v4.x linux kernel which most home users would never care about, like VRF, but eventually we all have to stop using the older kernel as it stops getting updates.

Only if you expose ports to the internet or there is a bug (security or otherwise) that happens at the packet flow processing layer (super rare). If you're doing 100% dumb NAT and don't hit any bugs there is 0 reason to upgrade a working system. It does mean you need to be more aware of what's going on from an exploit standpoint but it's likely you already are if you're savvy enough to buy one of these ER-X things.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Update yo poo poo TP-Link folks

https://lifehacker.com/update-these-tp-link-routers-to-fix-a-critical-password-1840531919

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

H110Hawk posted:

Only if you expose ports to the internet or there is a bug (security or otherwise) that happens at the packet flow processing layer (super rare). If you're doing 100% dumb NAT and don't hit any bugs there is 0 reason to upgrade a working system. It does mean you need to be more aware of what's going on from an exploit standpoint but it's likely you already are if you're savvy enough to buy one of these ER-X things.

Agreed - which is why I mentioned "VRF" as one of the "gee that would be nice but totally unnecessary for home-gamer" features.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

*ahem* i need tp-link for my bunghole

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I am looking at network equipment upgrades to put on my Xmas/wedding wishlists, and I feel like just a giant dingus trying to figure things out. Right now I have a cheap, OK wireless router doing all the duties for my home network. I'd like to upgrade to something a bit better in terms of dashboard tools and modularity, since right now my router has to sit in a non-ideal corner of the house due to how wiring has been set up. So I've been looking at Ubiquiti gear.

I feel like I kind of understand their product ranges, but I'm not sure what a person needs to buy to really get started. If I bought an EdgeRouter PoE and ran an Ethernet cable up to a Unifi AP in the middle of the house, would this be a complete system? The part that confuses me is that Ubiquiti also sells products like "Unifi Security Gateway" and I'm not sure if I need to be buying all kinds of stuff like that to get needed features. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m happy with my Edgerouter X and Unifi AP. The Microcenter employee pushed me to buy the USG but it’s quite expensive and seems to just function as a router that you can manage from the same GUI as the APs.

The ER-X took me some time to figure out but it starts with a default config that’ll get you online and basic management stuff isn’t far off from the all-in-one routers I’d used before.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 23, 2019