Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

What's your point?

I just laugh whenever someone posts something like "Bob Iger is gonna poo poo his pants when he sees the review scores" or "Star Wars is different from Marvel because [reason]" and I've been reading too much Star Wars stuff the last few days and I spazzed out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Maybe it's a dumb question that can't be answered but are these new movies resonating with young kids at all? Marvel seems to have a death grip on that market and the reviews of Rise make it sound like it's just a greatest hits reel catering to old fans. Even the gen z kids came to have an affinity for Anakin etc over the years.

Only slightly related, but Last Jedi clearing the table for the new cast to finally get to do something being undercut with Lando swooping in to take the Falcon back is so on-the-nose boomer poo poo

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Donovan Trip posted:

I just laugh whenever someone posts something like "Bob Iger is gonna poo poo his pants when he sees the review scores" or "Star Wars is different from Marvel because [reason]" and I've been reading too much Star Wars stuff the last few days and I spazzed out

Ah, yeah, I get that. It ain't actually possible for the film to fail hard enough to affect Disney.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Ingmar terdman posted:

Maybe it's a dumb question that can't be answered but are these new movies resonating with young kids at all? Marvel seems to have a death grip on that market and the reviews of Rise make it sound like it's just a greatest hits reel catering to old fans. Even the gen z kids came to have an affinity for Anakin etc over the years.

Only slightly related, but Last Jedi clearing the table for the new cast to finally get to do something being undercut with Lando swooping in to take the Falcon back is so on-the-nose boomer poo poo

I want to say toy sales for Star Wars were in decline for the year TLJ released and may still be down

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

well theres only so many times you can buy the same x wing

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

jisforjosh posted:

I want to say toy sales for Star Wars were in decline for the year TLJ released and may still be down

Aren't all toy sales down? Kids mostly ignore physical toys in favor of digital games now.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Are you suggesting kids are the main target demographic for star wars toys

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The toys have been mostly poo poo - a lot of the Hot Toys figures are still easy to get.

OT stuff though mostly sells out quick.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

kiimo posted:

They know all this but they are still feeling the heat from the bad reviews but yeah Aladdin made a billion loving dollars.

But it isn't like they don't know they need to make better movies.

Live posting from inside the belly of the beast, btw.

To the disney it guy tracking kiimo’s posts, y’all hiring?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Wild how many people I know that used to be Star Wars fans have told me they either aren't seeing 9 or are waiting a few weeks.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Colonel Whitey posted:

I’m not seeing the film until the day after Xmas so I’m hoping this thread will remain spoiler free. I guess I’m rolling the dice at this point but oh well

Just to make sure everyone plays nice, if people post spoilers in this thread without hiding them, they will receive some solid probations. ;)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doesn't help that the new toys are garbage and we peaked back with the likes of these:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The only Star Wars toy I have is the foam Millennium Falcon quadcopter, and I can confirm that it, in fact, loving owns.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Hello there

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"General Skywalker!"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
That must be Luuuke, the deformed clone

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/mexicansoflate/status/1207686770994876416?s=21

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Finally I understand meta humor

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Vinylshadow posted:

Doesn't help that the new toys are garbage and we peaked back with the likes of these:

Luke is DEFINITELY prepared to handle the Rise of Skywalker

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vinylshadow posted:

"General Skywalker!"

That’s what Luke and Leia would’ve made if they kept it up

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

kiimo posted:

That’s what Luke and Leia would’ve made if they kept it up

This is a cursed post and image and I hate it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Davros1 posted:

You can say that about all of them. TFA, for example: Rey could've been the abandoned child who instead was raised by Von Sydow. Kylo shows up because Von Sydow a datachip to Luke's location. Von Sydow passes it the datachip onto Rey, and tells her to escape with while Kylo orders the execution of the village.

Now Rey's being pursued by Troopers, fights some of them off with rudimentary Force use, but when it seems like she's outnumbered, she's rescued by Han and Chewie, who swoop in in the Falcon. Han, who isn't separated from Leia (because that whole plot point was pointless), has been searching for his son, and has arrived on Jakku because he heard reports of the FO's attack, and rumors that Kylo was there. Rey confirms that he was, mentions that he was searching for someone called Skywalker, and Han invites her aboard the Falcon just as TIE Fighters arrive ...

Also perhaps not having the giant gently caress you weapon shoot the entire Republic governance based on planets close enough you could see them all blow up in the sky from where ever you were

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5MTIIou56Y

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Found some costumed fans at the Arizona Mills IMAX.

Edit: Grabbed two of these just now.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 20, 2019

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So should I post my impressions in here or in the other thread?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bongo Bill posted:

So should I post my impressions in here or in the other thread?

Detailed should probably go in the spoiler thread, but in general did you have fun?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
It was fun, but man, that was a very very dumb movie

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Detailed should probably go in the spoiler thread, but in general did you have fun?

I had a really good time, but I feel like I can only praise it faintly. It is not the kind of movie that I think the other Star Wars movies are, and I realized that early enough in that I was able instead to take it for what it is (dumb).

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I thought it was solid and I really liked the inversion of the series' main themes.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Little Mac posted:

I thought it was solid and I really liked the inversion of the series' main themes.

Lol, like what?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

The Glumslinger posted:

It was fun, but man, that was a very very dumb movie

I'm glad somebody had fun. I saw it in 2D IMAX with a crowd that was full on hooting and hollering through the first quarter of the movie. Dead silence after that and everyone just kinda quietly shuffled out.

JJ Abrams has poor decision making skills.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
It's a good movie, but there's obvious script/plotting problems at the beginning of the story.

I'd see it again.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
JJ made Star Wars Into Darkness. It was bad folks

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Got out of seeing TROS an hour ago. Had some time to process my thoughts while eating...

The Rise of Skywalker is not a bad movie imo, but I think it's a mediocre Star Wars movie. If that makes sense. It's not nearly as bad as everyone on social media has been making it out to be. The initial pacing from the start does run at breakneck speed and it's like "whoa, calm the gently caress down, movie" lmao. Once they reach Pasana though, the movie does slow down a bit, and finally gives time for the character and narrative work to breath. I thought everything with Ben and Rey was great; the force connection stuff was fantastic. And fuuuck, the character dynamic between Rey, Finn, and Poe every time they were on screen together was a lot of fun; wished the ST spent more time with them as a trio. But I loved pretty much every scene and story bit with Ben and Rey. The Palpatine stuff was lame, but ehh. JJ doesn't seem like a good idea man so... Sheev being back and Rey being a Palpatine is totally what JJ would do so whatever; got to see Ian McDiarmid ham poo poo up as good 'ol Sheev again at least.

The final Skywalker Saga episode never really felt like some grand, mythic finale—even at the end of it all—but I was entertained. I'm not a huge fan of the story choices made here, but it's not like any of it was nonsensical or incoherent. Almost everything was set up and paid off. Almost. Abrams did leave several questions unanswered, but that's Abrams-isms being annoying as per usual. I'd say this is maybe a hair better than The Force Awakens for me, but it's nowhere near as good as The Last Jedi.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

teagone posted:

Got out of seeing TROS an hour ago. Had some time to process my thoughts while eating...

The Rise of Skywalker is not a bad movie imo, but I think it's a mediocre Star Wars movie. If that makes sense. It's not nearly as bad as everyone on social media has been making it out to be. The initial pacing from the start does run at breakneck speed and it's like "whoa, calm the gently caress down, movie" lmao. Once they reach Pasana though, the movie does slow down a bit, and finally gives time for the character and narrative work to breath. I thought everything with Ben and Rey was great; the force connection stuff was fantastic. And fuuuck, the character dynamic between Rey, Finn, and Poe every time they were on screen together was a lot of fun; wished the ST spent more time with them as a trio. But I loved pretty much every scene and story bit with Ben and Rey. The Palpatine stuff was lame, but ehh. JJ doesn't seem like a good idea man so... Sheev being back and Rey being a Palpatine is totally what JJ would do so whatever; got to see Ian McDiarmid ham poo poo up as good 'ol Sheev again at least.

The final Skywalker Saga episode never really felt like some grand, mythic finale—even at the end of it all—but I was entertained. I'm not a huge fan of the story choices made here, but it's not like any of it was nonsensical or incoherent. Almost everything was set up and paid off. Almost. Abrams did leave several questions unanswered, but that's Abrams-isms being annoying as per usual. I'd say this is maybe a hair better than The Force Awakens for me, but it's nowhere near as good as The Last Jedi.

This is a good post and I pretty much agree with it.

There were some pretty cool parts too I thought

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

teagone posted:

I got to see Ian McDiarmid ham poo poo up as good 'ol Sheev again at least.

Legitimately my favorite thing about the movie. The dude knows exactly what the emperor is supposed to be like and leans into it. Fuckin loved every second he was on the screen even if some of the plot points that were occurring were uhh...dumb.

I went into it with low expectations and had a good time. Some super dumb things but also some fun stuff. Better than TFA but worse than TLJ, at least on first impression.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

What a waste of 150 minutes

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The thing that made me dislike the last Jedi is that while everyone kept taking about Rian Johnson's breaking of convention, at the end of the day it teases a bunch of stuff only to pull back at the last moment. Tlj should have ended with kylo, rey, finn all saying gently caress both sides. But instead he pushed the big old reset button at the end. People talk about this movie ret conning tlj, but the ending of tlj already did that (finn learns that there's a wealthy elite that profits from both sides while enslaving children and his only reaction to that is to free the non horses and forget the whole thing).

As such, this movie did what was the only option left, which is go all in on the nostalgia. It's a big dumb movie, but it's entertaining and does the job. Overall, i rank it at about the rots level, better than 1, 2 and solo.

This series of sequels was destined to be less than satisfying. It's the Skywalker saga but no studio is going to invest billions to have movies centered around 70+ year old actors. So there need to be a hand off, which meant making someone more powerful/dangerous.

I'd love to see Luke fighting joruus cbaoth, but that wouldn't happen given hammils age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, for all my criticisms and calling TROS mediocre, I still think it's a fine movie. I think the difference between TROS and TFA, for me, is that while I know TFA is a second-rate rehash of ANH, I absolutely love it because it introduces the storylines of two characters—Rey and Ben—that I've found myself to have a huge investment in. I wasn't hugely satisfied with how those storylines concluded in TROS, but I still found the culmination of their arcs enjoyable—even if I think Ben should've lived and become "Punished Solo" wandering the galaxy as a force-wielding antihero doing good deeds to atone for his sins.