Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The money isn't the issue, it's my brain. That said I'm a mess about something else. Now if I'm gonna get a custom build of the model I want, because of the Intel processor shortage, I could apparently be waiting until MARCH. I think there's a prepared one ready to ship with all the specs I want, but there's just something about the idea of getting a machine built for me that just feels so much better. But the security death of W7 is January 14, and it was one thing when I thought I might be waiting an extra couple weeks, but a month+ has me concerned. How much fire would I be playing with waiting it out?

Like, real talk, unless you're doing particularly risky stuff or are a specific target, probably not a *lot* but yeah get out of W7 ASAP. W10 is free. Just upgrade.

EDIT: I had my day ruined by this, so I'm spreading the wealth.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Like, real talk, unless you're doing particularly risky stuff or are a specific target, probably not a *lot* but yeah get out of W7 ASAP. W10 is free. Just upgrade.

EDIT: I had my day ruined by this, so I'm spreading the wealth.

I thought W10 cost now? Also realtalk I think trying to upgrade my current machine to it might make it explode because that fucker is OLD.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

You'd be fine to run W7 for a month or two after the end of life.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I saw the new Star Wars.

I really didn't like it at all :smith:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

I saw the new Star Wars.

here is where you went wrong

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Gonna go see it on Sunday. I have low expectations so hopefully that will help!

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'm really not happy about what I've heard about it but I still want to go see Star Wars because I like stuff blowing up in space

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

the last time I saw anything in theaters, it was The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. the two things I remember best from the experience are (1) like a half loving goddamned shitblasting assbiting hour of ads before the show itself (2) how thoroughly the film just completely dropped the ball in terms of characterization of some of the cast (except maybe I think Mos Def as Ford, and Marvin), which is the one thing that any adaptation of h2g2 needs to get right

maybe it’s just my depression having snuck in through a mental backdoor of mine, but there’s just not a lot of media in general that really hooks me in of late, except for professional wrestling :shrug:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The lasT HHGTTG film was disappointing because the casting was on fuckin POINT but man that movie just didn’t work at all

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

taking all the jokes out was a bold move

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

SatansOnion posted:

the last time I saw anything in theaters, it was The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. the two things I remember best from the experience are (1) like a half loving goddamned shitblasting assbiting hour of ads before the show itself (2) how thoroughly the film just completely dropped the ball in terms of characterization of some of the cast (except maybe I think Mos Def as Ford, and Marvin), which is the one thing that any adaptation of h2g2 needs to get right

maybe it’s just my depression having snuck in through a mental backdoor of mine, but there’s just not a lot of media in general that really hooks me in of late, except for professional wrestling :shrug:

why

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

avoided the last general thread for reasons i've forgotten by now
seems like an alright thread

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I thought W10 cost now? Also realtalk I think trying to upgrade my current machine to it might make it explode because that fucker is OLD.

nope, it's free as long as you still have your W7 key. something to keep in mind is that the new architecture in new compys loving hate W7 for some reason so you'll have to install W10 on it regardless. was fun finding that out when i built my newest computer.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Do not even ask posted:

avoided the last general thread for reasons i've forgotten by now

it is a cool place to just hang or whatever

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
All the Star Wars and marvel stuff is basically like church to me. It’s the part of culture I have signed up for and now I have an obligation to go whether I like it or not.

See you there Sunday bitches

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

SatansOnion posted:

Yeah, New Japan, new music releases, and an occasional video game are all the media I really get excited for anymore. My wife and I went to see Endgame mostly out of obligation and we both just wanted it to end so we could go for Indian food.

I don't know if it's ageing, depression, or being so busy that I don't have time to care, but it's a notable change from when I was younger.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Took the new car on an interstate job. Its very muscular for a civic. Didn't even wobble at 90mph.

Then I got home and got a letter that my credit app for said new car was decline? That cannot be right. Its mine now, motherfucks.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

I saw the new Star Wars.

Should have seen Cats.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Jerusalem posted:

I saw the new Star Wars.

This was me yesterday! It was really weirdly edited and paced. Even action sequences came off bad and jarring. Example of early battle scene (spoiler describes setting and camera cut):

OMG they know we're here we need to run away!

* shot of Rey, Finn, Poe, C3PO, BB8 all going away on a speeder in a long range establishing shot of a desert, with no Stormtroopers in sight besides the one person in the foreground looking at them in the faaaar far distance

* next shot is close up of a different Stormtrooper on a speeder that has caught up to them and close enough to shoot at them

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Push El Burrito posted:

Should have seen Cats.

This sounds suspiciously like a war crime, Push :colbert:

Artelier posted:

This was me yesterday!

I don't want to go into too much spoilers, but a generalized reaction to your post is yes I found the editing and pacing to be quite weird. I didn't follow any news about the actual production itself so I don't know if this is down to problems on set, creative differences re: the edit, re-shoots or anything like that. But it didn't feel like a final cut of the film to me. It was a very weird experience.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Yeah, New Japan, new music releases, and an occasional video game are all the media I really get excited for anymore. My wife and I went to see Endgame mostly out of obligation and we both just wanted it to end so we could go for Indian food.

I don't know if it's ageing, depression, or being so busy that I don't have time to care, but it's a notable change from when I was younger.

most media sucks, too much non artist melding. Music is pure and perfect though, i am going through my playlists and seeing what i really liked this year and its looking good!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I'm seeing Star Wars tomorrow night, but oof, the reviews.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I know it’s gonna be a long slog but my teen is wanting to go see it so there’s that.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

on the bright side, the stuff I can enjoy I really do enjoy, like a new Flaming Lips album, or my off-and-on attempts to improve my mediocrity at Binding of Isaac on the 3DS

it’s been a while since I’ve played it on Steam, but I used to be pretty mediocre at that version too

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Movies are still good if you watch non-blockbuster poo poo.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

decided to impulse meet up with soemone from a sex app tonight. i'm ready to die.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

yea ok posted:

decided to impulse meet up with soemone from a sex app tonight. i'm ready to die.

I'm not sure how sex works but I don't think that's right unless you're a mantis of some type?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

NienNunb posted:

Movies are still good if you watch non-blockbuster poo poo.
I think the biggest thing about BLOCKBUSTER OMG poo poo is taking them too seriously nowadays

Like I was introduced to Star Wars via grainy VHS tape and it was cool, but not life altering

I haven't watched any of the trailers or read the plots or reviews I'm just gonna go see a movie with my friends and maybe eat some pizza after. If the movie is bad, I still like my friends. Unless we start arguing about Mossad again, ugh.

I mean that people can have legitimate criticisms or enjoy or not enjoy the movies but we put too much importance behind crass to sell toys tier schlock

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

yea ok posted:

big fan of app sex here

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

I think the biggest thing about BLOCKBUSTER OMG poo poo is taking them too seriously nowadays

Like I was introduced to Star Wars via grainy VHS tape and it was cool, but not life altering

I haven't watched any of the trailers or read the plots or reviews I'm just gonna go see a movie with my friends and maybe eat some pizza after. If the movie is bad, I still like my friends. Unless we start arguing about Mossad again, ugh.

I mean that people can have legitimate criticisms or enjoy or not enjoy the movies but we put too much importance behind crass to sell toys tier schlock

I agree with this man. I anticipate probably thinking Star Wars is pretty okay because I'm easy to please. That's just me.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
The blockbuster thing is just people wanting to believe in something. It’s too hard to believe in real things because capitalism ruins everything you like sooner or later. Stories can be preserved and replicated, though.

We dress it up, but times are tough and nobody with power is really stepping up to challenge the status quo and gather up minds in an impactful way.

People are desperate to get passionate about anything; might as well be a (Star Wars) story. That’s all humans get passionate about anyway.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I just got back from seeing Star Wars and overall I think it's a mess that can be very enjoyable in very short spurts.

It's a very small thing but the lack of the star wars wipes during the scene transitions made it feel like any other action movie. I can't remember if they killed them off for Last Jedi but I missed them.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I agree with this man. I anticipate probably thinking Star Wars is pretty okay because I'm easy to please. That's just me.
I was gonna PM you but someone linked that thread about rovert and I just wanted to re-affirm the poster (I think it was motu) saying you're good posting.

But also I think after two decades on SA I think J-Ru is the mod I've enjoyed interacting with the most so people saying he's a bad mod like, ugh.

Also I'm not an easy to please person but I've accepted that putting a ton of expectation on things doesn't improve the experience. Hype is the furthest state from fun. Sometimes it's ok to pay $20 to see a movie that is just a 7/10.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yea ok posted:

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

F

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Oof the new Star Wars is an incoherent mess that seems designed to appeal solely to 40 year old men who hated The Last Jedi

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

Oof the new Star Wars is an incoherent mess that seems designed to appeal solely to 40 year old men who hated The Last Jedi

That's pretty much what I'm hearing. Might just skip it since I'm broke as hell month to month anyway currently.

Like it sounds there's good stuff to be found there but dunno if I can justify spending 13 € or whatever it is big blockbuster movie tickets cost nowadays.

Edit: Holy poo poo it's 16.9 € :stare: Just a few months ago I went to see what, seven older, non-blockbuster movies for like 7 € a pop

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 20, 2019

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Blast Fantasto posted:

So my best friend then.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Blast Fantasto posted:

From what I've seen online even the people who hated The Last Jedi hate this movie.

Aside from negative feelings towards the prequels I have no strong feelings on any Star Wars movie after A New Hope and have zero nostalgia for the series. My girlfriend and I saw some spoilers, went "oof that's a trainwreck" and after a bit of debate decided to just go and see it since we knew we'd end up seeing it someday anyway. I went in fully expecting to dislike it.I ended up liking it. Overall it was really really really dumb in a fun way. Whooooooole lot of poo poo that was dumb in a bad way though.

When I got online and saw basically everyone hated the movie I was super confused. Then I thought about how bad dumb the bad stuff was, and how it could easily sour people on what I thought was the good dumb. I read reviews online and a ton mentioned how it was so chock full of fanservice that it could only appeal to Wookiepedia editors. Not knowing Star Wars well enough to even recognize most of them (Who the gently caress is Wedge? Everyone brings them up as if I'm supposed to know them) probably helped a ton.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 20, 2019

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

TTBF posted:

Who the gently caress is Wedge? Everyone brings them up as if I'm supposed to know them)

Wedge Antilles. X-Wing pilot from the first trilogy, part of both Death Star runs, not actually that important a character in the movies but beloved by a lot of fans from spin-off media & novels.

Fun fact: Denis Lawson, who plays the character, is Ewan McGregor's uncle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Oh, I know Wedge! Who doesn’t know the name of that Magitek Soldier who brings Terra to the Narshe mines so that he and his partner could snare that esper

e: or are you talking about the dude in Norstein Bekkler’s circus/lab/dungeon? I’d want some context to narrow it down but I’m pretty sure it’s one of those two, being as expert as I am in the Space Wars movie films :smugdalek: