Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Also doesn't Turkey actually have a good army? If the heads of the IDF decide to kick some country about I'm sure it'll be something much weaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

By popular demand posted:

Also doesn't Turkey actually have a good army? If the heads of the IDF decide to kick some country about I'm sure it'll be something much weaker.

This precise conversation is going on in the Turkish army as well regarding Israel.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

At least on paper.

It has suffered from Erdogan purging it of all the officers who were deemed potentially dangerous (for example, by being competent and/or popular with the troops), so who knows how good it actually is now.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I sure hope we don't end up with open warfare between Israel and what is still, technically, a NATO member.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Turkey has pissed off:
-Greece (also a NATO member)
-Israel
-Egypt
-Cyprus

And has on their side:
-A fraction of Libya

Don't think Israel would have much to worry about diplomatically on this one.
Hell you'd have an All Star Abrahamic Team up of Jews, Christians and Muslims to take down the dread Turk. Nice publicity spin on that.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Grape posted:

Turkey has pissed off:
-Greece (also a NATO member)
-Israel
-Egypt
-Cyprus

And has on their side:
-A fraction of Libya

Don't think Israel would have much to worry about diplomatically on this one.
Hell you'd have an All Star Abrahamic Team up of Jews, Christians and Muslims to take down the dread Turk. Nice publicity spin on that.

Turkey didn't piss off cyprus, they merely illegally annexed half of it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Drone_Fragger posted:

To be fair, it was to stop Greece (a fascist military dictatorship at the time which actually ended due to the pressure from the war with Turkey) from illegally annexing the whole of it, not just to be dicks.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cypriot_intercommunal_violence#Crisis_of_1963%E2%80%931964

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_Cypriot_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enosis

Obviously they are being the bigger dicks about the unification now.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Drone_Fragger posted:

They're pissing them off further.

DarkCrawler posted:

To be fair, it was to stop Greece (a fascist military dictatorship at the time which actually ended due to the pressure from the war with Turkey) from illegally annexing the whole of it, not just to be dicks.

You're leaving out some rather important details that establish they were also enormous horrific dicks back then too.

Grape fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 19, 2019

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
love that The Forward is running hit pieces on bernie being anitsemitic. what poo poo rag

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
American Jewish media is hilariously lovely

though as bad as the Forward is, I think they have yet to top the Tablet piece slamming Holocaust survivors as villainous scum who were asking for it

https://mobile.twitter.com/ericuman/status/225363256636751873

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

though as bad as the Forward is, I think they have yet to top the Tablet piece slamming Holocaust survivors as villainous scum who were asking for it

holy poo poo that's worth a click

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
we've only got a few years left to get in our shoah takes before the survivors aren't here to read them!

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Main Paineframe posted:

Holy loving poo poo that is bananas. You have to click that link it is so goddamn out there. Enormously vile stuff.

That loving Tablet article posted:

I wondered if anyone had alerted Hitler that in the event that the final solution didn’t pan out, only the handful of Jews who actually fulfilled the stereotype of the Judenscheisse (because every group has a few) would remain to carry on the Jewish race—conniving, indestructible, taking and taking.

:chloe:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

Holy loving poo poo that is bananas. You have to click that link it is so goddamn out there. Enormously vile stuff.

:chloe:

yeah the We Had It Coming school of Likudnik thought is a fascinating study in cultural pathology. you can see how the chain of logic works. we must reforge ourselves as a people, casting out all of what made us weak and victimlike, including any inexplicable taboos against "committing genocide ourselves."

it's part of why you see Netanyahu's kids gleefully throwing around what anyone in the west would call antisemitic poo poo; they understand that the subject of those isn't ISRAELI jews. Israelis are a new people, to whom none of those old slurs apply. unlike those scum in the diaspora who have yet to bring themselves to the place where you've gotta sterilize the untermenschen to preserve Israeli purity.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Literally dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Am I illiterate, because that read like "Hitler's greatest crime was inadvertently making all the lies he told about German Jews come true like they are today"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You are illiterate in Bullshit.
The statement is clearly: I'm a horrible monster and I'm looking for excuses for hurting people.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

You are illiterate in Bullshit.
The statement is clearly: I'm a horrible monster and I'm looking for excuses for hurting people.
Debate & Discussion > Israel/Palestine 2020: You are illiterate in Bullshit

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Am I illiterate, because that read like "Hitler's greatest crime was inadvertently making all the lies he told about German Jews come true like they are today"

To me it reads more like "only some Jews are scheming traitors like Hitler thought they were, but he didn't realize that if his extermination program failed to kill all the Jews, then clearly the wily and conniving ones he railed against would be the ones most likely to survive and avoid death". Which is absolutely loving bonkers.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Main Paineframe posted:

To me it reads more like "only some Jews are scheming traitors like Hitler thought they were, but he didn't realize that if his extermination program failed to kill all the Jews, then clearly the wily and conniving ones he railed against would be the ones most likely to survive and avoid death". Which is absolutely loving bonkers.

This is my reading also.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm not quite sure how that's different from what I thought it said, either way they're saying that the Nazi propaganda about German Jews which was mostly false in 1934 is mostly true now (because Hitler inadvertently artificially selected for them)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

yeah the We Had It Coming school of Likudnik thought is a fascinating study in cultural pathology. you can see how the chain of logic works. we must reforge ourselves as a people, casting out all of what made us weak and victimlike, including any inexplicable taboos against "committing genocide ourselves."

it's part of why you see Netanyahu's kids gleefully throwing around what anyone in the west would call antisemitic poo poo; they understand that the subject of those isn't ISRAELI jews. Israelis are a new people, to whom none of those old slurs apply. unlike those scum in the diaspora who have yet to bring themselves to the place where you've gotta sterilize the untermenschen to preserve Israeli purity.

It's Israeli Man vs Diaspora Boy.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i like this but whats up with the islamophobic caricature at the end, its hard to tell to what extent that is a joke

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I've heard about rocket attacks my entire life and I kept wondering how they managed to build and hide Katyushas or the equivalent with Israel probably watching every inch of Palestine 24 hours a day. But it turns out the rockets are just beefed up fireworks basically?

Also I saw this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zQ6uxQSL3U

He's throwing out so many names I can't really check all of them. But he's so drat smug that I'm surprised anyone paid to have this done in the first place. Couldn't they have given the script to just anyone else?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i like this but whats up with the islamophobic caricature at the end, its hard to tell to what extent that is a joke

The entire comic is a parody of how the Israeli supremacists see themselves and the world, so how else could muslims be portrayed? Basically this is one of the rare examples where it actually is real satire.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Katt posted:

I've heard about rocket attacks my entire life and I kept wondering how they managed to build and hide Katyushas or the equivalent with Israel probably watching every inch of Palestine 24 hours a day. But it turns out the rockets are just beefed up fireworks basically?

They're literally powered with piss.

This is the threat that requires dumping white phosporous on schools to keep under control.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Orange Devil posted:

They're literally powered with piss.

This is the threat that requires dumping white phosporous on schools to keep under control.

I don't think the rockets that reach Tel Aviv are powered with piss.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
still sucks to get hit with one regardless

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Argas posted:

It doesn't help that beyond outright violence, there's still tons of poo poo like

https://twitter.com/xeIphaar/status/1206210580585078784?s=20

that get overlooked.

https://twitter.com/justin_halpern/status/1206707950737219589 read the rest of the thread, duder

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Doesn't really make it any better

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

It doesn't make it better or worse; it makes negative reactions to it understandably toothless.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Debate & Discussion > Israel/Palestine 2020: You are illiterate in Bullshit

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Ultramega posted:

It doesn't make it better or worse; it makes negative reactions to it understandably toothless.

lol at how naive this is

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

really constructive, thanks

Permit some qualifications here; it's totally understandable to have a very strong reaction to something that could be read as racism. But when you have a person who was intimately involved with the creation and management of the show clarify things, then acting like you still have some sort of unchecked grievance seems really performative.

https://twitter.com/xeIphaar/status/1206712696307097601 like, is it beyond the pale to call this person a loving crybaby? Sorry!

Ultramega fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 22, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
All they're saying is 'half the creators are Jews here' not 'here's why this isn't anti-semitic'. Stephen Miller is Jewish, does that somehow make the alt-right movement any less anti-semitic?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Homestuck strikes again

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Zanzibar Ham posted:

All they're saying is 'half the creators are Jews here' not 'here's why this isn't anti-semitic'. Stephen Miller is Jewish, does that somehow make the alt-right movement any less anti-semitic?

this is loving sophistry.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ultramega posted:

this is loving sophistry.

No it's not. They should have known better than to make Penguin Jewish and throw in all the negative stereotypes they could think of into the mix.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

No it's sophistry because you're using the fact that the entirety of the writing staff or whoever aren't all jews, therefore implicitly allowing the possibility of antisemitic stereotypes to work their way into the show which is demonstrably not true. Again, I'm not saying "you don't get to be mad about this", i'm saying "this ain't it, chief."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That isn't at all what I said, even if 100% of the staff were Jews, making Penguin Jewish and putting in all the negative stereotypes they could think of for a laugh would be terrible and make the work anti-semitic.