Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
The dark order is stupid and I agree with dave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I felt like the Dark Order thing would have been a lot better if the two guys being initiated were guys like Daniels and Page rather than a couple job guys that we've only seen in skits.

Dave was right in that this was a pretty WWE-rific example of 'HEAT!'

I think they can save it if it turns out that MJF decided a bunch of incels was what he needed after B&B&B failed, and so co-opted the group to use as another impediment to Cody.

I will agree that in the future they should protect Cody a bit more and make him like a Hogan who, when the faces are getting beaten down, his music hits and he comes out after everyone else is beaten down to save the day and is only himself beaten down in really serious angles. Or one thing they could do is hire some giant dude to be the 911 security guard that comes in to stop gang beat downs.

One thing I'll say that I liked about AEW this week was that the mic'ing of the crowd was WAY better. They sounded much louder than usual.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I hate the idea of making Cody "Hogan", of making MJF some "higher power", and of hotshotting big names like Daniels and Page into the Dark Order on Day 1 of the story. I don't know what a "WWE-rific example of 'HEAT!'" actually means but that all feels like a list of WWE problems to me.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i had only the fuzziest notion of who kenny and the bucks were when i started watching after not watching wrestling for a number of years and it does not really bother me if they job them out. cody is the guy, tho

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm SUPER into Cody but part of the reason I'm into him is because he loses sometimes. He's human and his struggles make his victories mean something.

I hate the idea of making him some protected Hogan character who turns the tide whenever he shows up. That would probably kill him for me. Its the opposite of what I like about him. He's Dusty's son.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

PaybackJack posted:

I think they can save it if it turns out that MJF decided a bunch of incels was what he needed after B&B&B failed, and so co-opted the group to use as another impediment to Cody.

Interesting, and you want to complain about the quality of someone else's writing?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I can't believe Dave took the money.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Dave wasn't the only one who preferred NXT this week:

https://twitter.com/PWTorch/status/1207769933691719682

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fuuuuuuuuuck.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If Tony is tired of losing, I have a recommendation for him.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

MJeff posted:

Suck it?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The only thing affected by NXT beating AEW in ratings is our collective sanity for the dumbass opinions, panic, and smugness born from it.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

nxt can only win on weirdo weeks where Big poo poo is going on outside The Bubble like certain motorcycle riders can only win in wet conditions

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

STAC Goat posted:

I hate the idea of making Cody "Hogan", of making MJF some "higher power", and of hotshotting big names like Daniels and Page into the Dark Order on Day 1 of the story. I don't know what a "WWE-rific example of 'HEAT!'" actually means but that all feels like a list of WWE problems to me.

These were mostly not things Dave as suggesting. He was saying he wished the stars of the show were more willing to protect themselves so they can be bigger stars. He made a joke about maybe they should copy Hogan, he wasn't suggesting Cody do this (I mean the guys he's clearly talking about are Omega and the Young Bucks). The reason he wants MJF behind the Dark Order is that MJF vs Cody is the hot program and that without MJF being involved this is a distraction from that program. Or that maybe Daniels and Page should be involved in the other side of the angle because they have some star power and the Dark Order as-is doesn't.

He's also not saying that the company is over forever or anything like that. Just that the show has tipped from being well booked to poorly booked. To me it sounds like Dave really wants AEW to succeed and doesn't think they're going about it the right way.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

STAC Goat posted:

I'm SUPER into Cody but part of the reason I'm into him is because he loses sometimes. He's human and his struggles make his victories mean something.

I hate the idea of making him some protected Hogan character who turns the tide whenever he shows up. That would probably kill him for me. Its the opposite of what I like about him. He's Dusty's son.

He can still lose, it's the presentation that he's the big star that comes out to make the save and runs off the heels rather than being a nameless face in the crowd that's beaten down and left laying in a corner so these no names can get heat.

Lamuella posted:

Interesting, and you want to complain about the quality of someone else's writing?

MJF in the Dark Order makes sense and B&B&B failed and now he's look for a new way to hurt Cody. MJF is the exact kind of cult leader that they would follow and he'd be much better than Evil Uno has been.

Daniels can be in as a guy that missed winning the belts then failed to get revenge and hasn't been the same since. He'll join because he's lost now, but later turns on the group and gets back with SCU.

Page joins because MJF convinces him that Cody used him the same way and he wasn't going to get back into the title picture once Cody was in it, and so Page joins DO to help destroy Cody as well.

It makes more sense than just having two jobbers join a group of nameless people that aren't over.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Can MJF just be MJF and not in command of every evil organization like Moriarty from that trash Sherlock show? It does not suit him at all to be in command of all the world’s evil at once.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yo, been asked a bunch but answers always change - what's the best podcast app for andriod? Looking for one that specifically allows to download podcasts from paid patreon feeds. Using Beyond Pod but it's such a buggy piece of poo poo, I'm considering paying for another app.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Dr. Cube's a more convincing evil mastermind

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MJeff posted:

Use his dads billions to buy Impact?

ICHIBAHN posted:

Yo, been asked a bunch but answers always change - what's the best podcast app for andriod? Looking for one that specifically allows to download podcasts from paid patreon feeds. Using Beyond Pod but it's such a buggy piece of poo poo, I'm considering paying for another app.

I'm fine with PodcastAddict.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Edit: I legit thought I was in the AEW thread :doh:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 19, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can't process what about MJF says "cult leader" to someone. Like, we're watching two completely different guys or working two completely different ideas of "cult."

But more I think my issue with these ideas is that they're all basically rooted in the idea of "make AEW more like wrestling we know, ie WWE" and like... what I like about AEW is that its doing it differently. I don't want one main Hogan face who runs off all the bad guys and one higher power heel who is behind all the evil. Both ideas seem born around the idea of creating a set pecking order and structure to things. I like the idea that the roster has a bunch of different people and them all existing at the same time with the same targets and goals makes things messy.

Whether or not I'm in the minority remains to be seen, but I ain't gonna panic week to week. One of the reasons I've never been into Meltzer is his whole ratings breakdown gimmick seems intentionally over reactive. Or those weekly rants and recaps seem designed to nitpick and obsess over single episodes. None of that strikes me as rational or fun.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
AEW already has so much dead weight

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

PaybackJack posted:

MJF in the Dark Order makes sense and B&B&B failed and now he's look for a new way to hurt Cody. MJF is the exact kind of cult leader that they would follow and he'd be much better than Evil Uno has been.

Daniels can be in as a guy that missed winning the belts then failed to get revenge and hasn't been the same since. He'll join because he's lost now, but later turns on the group and gets back with SCU.

Page joins because MJF convinces him that Cody used him the same way and he wasn't going to get back into the title picture once Cody was in it, and so Page joins DO to help destroy Cody as well.

It makes more sense than just having two jobbers join a group of nameless people that aren't over.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

STAC Goat posted:

I can't process what about MJF says "cult leader" to someone. Like, we're watching two completely different guys or working two completely different ideas of "cult."

But more I think my issue with these ideas is that they're all basically rooted in the idea of "make AEW more like wrestling we know, ie WWE" and like...

This is literally the exact opposite of what Dave is saying the problem is. The problem as he sees it is AEW is doing is too many WWE-like things.

E: and like there's no sin in not liking the show or wanting to engage with it, especially based on the bullshit Dave and Bryan have been on lately. And there are podcasts out there that have formats you probably would like more.

Rick fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 20, 2019

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

dave really wanted american new japan but from a fan perspective that is entirely pointless unless you hate japenese people

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

oh but seriously I posted:

dave really wanted american new japan but from a fan perspective that is entirely pointless unless you hate japenese people

I mean, apparently Bushiroad ALSO wants that, so...

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I think you are probably right about this, and mostly agree with your point in general, but it's harsh to digest.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

It's also impossible to square with having a weekly live TV program

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if Dave wants American NJPW, he can go hang out at the LA dojo more. Lazy bum.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

coconono posted:

if Dave wants American NJPW, he can go hang out at the LA dojo more. Lazy bum.

Cruel of you to want the Young Lions to be shamed by the inevitable comparisons to Dave's abs.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MJeff posted:

Cruel of you to want the Young Lions to be shamed by the inevitable comparisons to Dave's abs.

its good to have role models visit

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

This is something I've been thinking about and it might be some more :tinfoil: poo poo, but I think all these podcasts and wrestling sites if they see the wind blowing towards WWE tanking and something like AEW gaining traction they'll for sure roll out to help WWE. I mean at this point WWE is their bottom line and probably why they get the most traffic anyway

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone specifically, it just has to go through their heads watching WWE's business tumble as the months go by.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Except WWE is invincible and is getting paid billions for its falling ratings because live TV is in such a frenzy trying to survive.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dave ripped apart this weeks Raw though

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TheKingslayer posted:

This is something I've been thinking about and it might be some more :tinfoil: poo poo, but I think all these podcasts and wrestling sites if they see the wind blowing towards WWE tanking and something like AEW gaining traction they'll for sure roll out to help WWE. I mean at this point WWE is their bottom line and probably why they get the most traffic anyway

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone specifically, it just has to go through their heads watching WWE's business tumble as the months go by.

A wrestling war would increase interest in dirtsheets.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Bryan at least absolutely fans the flames for fans to pick sides and rile up drama. I noticed it awhile ago. Dave is too aloof and too honest for that stuff. If anything he's just playing it too safe with WWE and is too hard on AEW.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

RBX posted:

Bryan at least absolutely fans the flames for fans to pick sides and rile up drama. I noticed it awhile ago. Dave is too aloof and too honest for that stuff. If anything he's just playing it too safe with WWE and is too hard on AEW.

I JUST POSTED TWO NUMBERS

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Does F4W do a worst of as well? Hearing Sempervive go "that female body part" over and over I felt second hand embarrassment.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MJeff posted:

I JUST POSTED TWO NUMBERS

Don't forget the 3 days of complaining about his mentions on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday because of those numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dave's really taking the I have friends things to new heights.

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1208081023885430784