Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

Climate, I'd guess. Considering where they're from, I doubt budgies handle cold weather well.
But ringnecks have been comfortable in London for 150 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sextro posted:

My mother has been struggling with a female cockatiel of indeterminate age who chronically lays eggs. I've done some basic research and pointed her at all the usual guides. Fake eggs, controlling light exposure, moving her around, and diet changes have failed. She will lay broods of 7/8 eggs, and as soon as they're removed, even if she abandons them herself, or we leave them for 5-6 days she'll start laying another brood within 2 weeks. This is having deleterious effects on her health as she's losing weight and feathers.

So far the only thing that has stopped her from laying is isolation, keeping her in an otherwise unused room. My mom tried moving her work office into that room to spend time with the cockatiel, but after a week of that she laid another brood.

Is there something else I should recommend her try? She's really upset that she has to choose between keeping the bird isolated or risking her health with the egg laying.

For reference the bird is of unknown provenance, she adopted my mom while she was gardening.

Bird Crazies: I have trouble with birdth control

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Sextro posted:

My mother has been struggling with a female cockatiel of indeterminate age who chronically lays eggs. I've done some basic research and pointed her at all the usual guides. Fake eggs, controlling light exposure, moving her around, and diet changes have failed. She will lay broods of 7/8 eggs, and as soon as they're removed, even if she abandons them herself, or we leave them for 5-6 days she'll start laying another brood within 2 weeks. This is having deleterious effects on her health as she's losing weight and feathers.

So far the only thing that has stopped her from laying is isolation, keeping her in an otherwise unused room. My mom tried moving her work office into that room to spend time with the cockatiel, but after a week of that she laid another brood.

Is there something else I should recommend her try? She's really upset that she has to choose between keeping the bird isolated or risking her health with the egg laying.

For reference the bird is of unknown provenance, she adopted my mom while she was gardening.

I have discovered an excellent method that stopped Serra's laying in her tracks.

I covered the bottom of her cage in egg crates - like these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C55X4LS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cut them into strips of three rows and place them on the bottom of the cage. They get changed once a week. Serra likes to go chew on them, but she hasn't managed to make a nest out of them yet. She has made absolutely zero eggs since I've started this egg crate method.

I'm trying to think of a way to get rich packaging this solution. :derptiel: It works.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Sextro posted:

Her bird might need that birth control implant from a vet if it's leading to her stripping nutrients from her body and she can't stop. It sucks but it'll probably save the bird's life.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Captain Log posted:

I have discovered an excellent method that stopped Serra's laying in her tracks.

I covered the bottom of her cage in egg crates - like these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C55X4LS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cut them into strips of three rows and place them on the bottom of the cage. They get changed once a week. Serra likes to go chew on them, but she hasn't managed to make a nest out of them yet. She has made absolutely zero eggs since I've started this egg crate method.

I'm trying to think of a way to get rich packaging this solution. :derptiel: It works.

I'll ask her to try this!

Chaosfeather posted:

Her bird might need that birth control implant from a vet if it's leading to her stripping nutrients from her body and she can't stop. It sucks but it'll probably save the bird's life.

She hasn't had any luck finding a vet that would do this, the only one near her that even knew what she was talking about is a bird sanctuary that also won't treat any birds unless they're being surrendered to the sanctuary.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

But ringnecks have been comfortable in London for 150 years.

I wish I lived somewhere with wild parrots. I think we're too cold here even for the Carolina parakeet's original range.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

RoboRodent posted:

I wish I lived somewhere with wild parrots. I think we're too cold here even for the Carolina parakeet's original range.

We have wild parrots in Seward (Seattle area ) and Yacult as well as different parts of Seattle and they seem to be thriving even with our cold and blustery fall/winters Think they are Quakers and cherry mitered? I cant recall now...

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I'll be cleaning the cage tomorrow - I'll try to take pictures of my anti-egg method to show what I'm talking about.

I didn't have to get my bird put on birth control and have completely stopped her laying eggs.

She still constantly tries to make nests when she is out of her cage, though.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1024490957622648?view=permalink&id=3528217163916669

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Disco Salmon posted:

We have wild parrots in Seward (Seattle area ) and Yacult as well as different parts of Seattle and they seem to be thriving even with our cold and blustery fall/winters Think they are Quakers and cherry mitered? I cant recall now...

I'm considerably further north than that, alas.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
In tiel news on my end, pippu is still being fairly demonic. Scremdome 24/7. It seems to change a bit from day to day (intensifying at the moment) but we’re still powering through. The fact that the screaming bouts change character as the days go by seems to indicate that’s a phase. We’re hoping you guys were right about puberty. Thanks again for all the replies, it was motivating. <3

Also, my partner gave me an Alex Christmas sweater for Christmas! I hope the little fellow pulls through :( He’s 20+ years old though, so he’s getting old...

bad photo as I’m currently on a dimly lit train going down south the visit family for Christmas. Only 15 hours left...

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Australia, the tweet

https://twitter.com/andy_park/status/1207061039574970368

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I went out for a bit today (to the utter disgust of the birds) and when I came back, I was fumbling for my keys in the apartment hallway when my phone made a noise.

Immediately they both started flock calling frantically. They know my phone. I should not be surprised.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

confirmed

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I had a wild magpie hop onto my lap and steal an entire slice of toast once and fly off with it, the bastard

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

No bird will ever be as much of a thieving bastard as a Kookaburra. I want my sandwich back!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My friend went to a park near his work to eat a sandwich and have a little sit outdoors. Very soon, a friendly robin came hopping up and looked expectantly at him, but my rude friend told him that no, he wasn't going to share, piss off.

So the robin flew up in my friend's face, causing him to flail wildly in self-defence, and also causing large quantities of ham and coleslaw to fall out of his sandwich. The robin immediately flew back to the ground and starting stuffing itself with ham and coleslaw.

Amazed and chastened, my friend returned to work and told his colleagues about this bizarre experience, only for them to laugh, and tell him 'yeah, he does that all the time'. The park had an honest-to-god serial sandwich-mugging robin.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
A Guide : How to Make a Horny Egg Laying Ladybird Stop Eggin' It Up

Step One - Contain Bird in Bird Container

Step Two - Cut Egg Crates into Strips

Step Three - Place Egg Crate Strips in Cage Bottom

Step Four - Fill Nooks and Crannies with Small Coffee Mugs (without coffee)

Step Five - Apply Scritches

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Pookah posted:

My friend went to a park near his work to eat a sandwich and have a little sit outdoors. Very soon, a friendly robin came hopping up and looked expectantly at him, but my rude friend told him that no, he wasn't going to share, piss off.

So the robin flew up in my friend's face, causing him to flail wildly in self-defence, and also causing large quantities of ham and coleslaw to fall out of his sandwich. The robin immediately flew back to the ground and starting stuffing itself with ham and coleslaw.

Amazed and chastened, my friend returned to work and told his colleagues about this bizarre experience, only for them to laugh, and tell him 'yeah, he does that all the time'. The park had an honest-to-god serial sandwich-mugging robin.

I hope your friend realizes that he was training that robin. Every time the robin does its move, it gets rewarded with a delicious sandwich. Robbin' robin.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

theHUNGERian posted:

Robbin' robin.

tweedly deedly deet

tweedly deedly deeeee

tweedly deedly deet

tweedly deedly deeeee

tweet.

tweet.

tweedly deet.

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011
Does anyone have any leads on a legit parrot sanctuary or rescue taking donations? It'd be really nice to be able to give to some needy birds and their caregivers for the holiday. Failing goon recs, I'm thinking the local MSPCA may have some ideas as well.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

Step Five - Apply Scritches

:kimchi:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Project Perry here in VA. Accredited, really go to great lengths to take in as many homeless birds as they can while maintaining very high standards for care (and for homes they're willing to adopt out to). They once took in an egg and hand-raised the bird.

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Project Perry here in VA. Accredited, really go to great lengths to take in as many homeless birds as they can while maintaining very high standards for care (and for homes they're willing to adopt out to). They once took in an egg and hand-raised the bird.

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, thank you so much!

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Spare-Ohs posted:

Does anyone have any leads on a legit parrot sanctuary or rescue taking donations? It'd be really nice to be able to give to some needy birds and their caregivers for the holiday. Failing goon recs, I'm thinking the local MSPCA may have some ideas as well.

This is the one I donate to all the time by us. They take care of the big birds (macaws/greys/cockatoos/etc)....they can always use donations of anything. We just did a run of groceries, toys, bird food and some cash for helping them keep the power on.

https://zazushouse.org/

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
I'm really sad I didn't get a picture in time, but Mochi was just hanging around in his usual chest/neck snuggle, and I thought to myself jeeze he feels like he's standing weird, get my phone out to get an angle on him, he's laying on his loving side with his wings against me and his feet sticking out in the ultimate comfort lounging position it may be the best thing I've ever seen.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sinbad learned a long time ago to shout my name as he noticed my parents would shout it and I'd appear soon after. Do you suppose his flock call for me is just that then?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Griffball posted:

I'm really sad I didn't get a picture in time, but Mochi was just hanging around in his usual chest/neck snuggle, and I thought to myself jeeze he feels like he's standing weird, get my phone out to get an angle on him, he's laying on his loving side with his wings against me and his feet sticking out in the ultimate comfort lounging position it may be the best thing I've ever seen.

I think its a classic GCC thing lol Trevor does that a lot lol He really likes to lay in my hand on his back and just veg. My hand has fallen asleep cos of him holding onto my thumb and lounging :) He's such a poo poo but he is adorable...

The best thing for me is when he is on my desk and asks for a skritch, and the skritch is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good that he collapses in a splot of feathers with wings extended and feet out and eyes closed in a puddle of birdie bliss. This lasts about 2 seconds so we haven't been able to get a pic yet.

SuperKlaus posted:

Sinbad learned a long time ago to shout my name as he noticed my parents would shout it and I'd appear soon after. Do you suppose his flock call for me is just that then?

Could be if he associates it with you :) He might just have figured out that when that word is called, you show up...so he figured out that is your name. My flock call seems to be Cheep Cheep. Now, if it's for me alone? Its Hey Baby!! BABY?? BAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYBBBBBYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! If I have been gone a bit tho, like out of the house, Cricket always greets me with a big kiss and a Mommmmma! Thats only when I have been gone out of the house tho.

My husband gets a chorus of Birdie Bird....or Daddy's Home lol It's only used when he's around tho, so we think thats his name. The Daddy's home thing seems to be a him thing as well, but when they use it outside the house, like at the vet? We think its to tell us we want to go home to our cage, to Daddy.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

theHUNGERian posted:

I hope your friend realizes that he was training that robin. Every time the robin does its move, it gets rewarded with a delicious sandwich. Robbin' robin.

Oh he was just its latest victim; this was the robin's standard grift.

They are awesome little birds :3:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Pookah posted:

Oh he was just its latest victim; this was the robin's standard grift.

They are awesome little birds :3:

Robins rock!! <3 (yes I know what I did there)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SuperKlaus posted:

Charlie knows my actual name too! He will use it in varying tones of voice -- YELL to get me back in the room, whine if I'm ignoring him, gentle murmur if he's just enjoying my company. I respond pretty promptly to it since I enjoy that he uses it, but occasionally if I'm stoically ignoring him he'll try out "Baby!" instead, which is what Ama uses. :lol:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra is a lady cockatiel, so she just makes variations of angry screm, happy screm, alarmed screm, and hissy squeak.

If I had a bird talk to me, or even sing, it would blow my mind.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm having a bad day. Ozzy, whose normal brand of sociability is "I'm going to sit two feet away from you and fluff my cheeks at you but don't come closer unless you move real slow" has briefly and unprompted sat on my head twice in the last half hour. This is unprecedented for him. I think he's trying out a new level of comfort with his personal space bubble, trying to be physically closer in a way he's comfortable with.

This is a pretty great Christmas present, if so.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

RoboRodent posted:

I'm having a bad day. Ozzy, whose normal brand of sociability is "I'm going to sit two feet away from you and fluff my cheeks at you but don't come closer unless you move real slow" has briefly and unprompted sat on my head twice in the last half hour. This is unprecedented for him. I think he's trying out a new level of comfort with his personal space bubble, trying to be physically closer in a way he's comfortable with.

This is a pretty great Christmas present, if so.

yay Oz-man!!!

I'm so proud of you :) He does love you....he's just starting to not be afraid to show you I think. It's very sweet of him considering his story...he's a GoodeBirde :)

(and I hope you do better soon robo)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So I'm enjoying this bird video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNUV0XOTy8Y

The poor owner is trying to film her other birds but Bowie is NOT having it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Charlie knows my actual name too! He will use it in varying tones of voice -- YELL to get me back in the room, whine if I'm ignoring him, gentle murmur if he's just enjoying my company. I respond pretty promptly to it since I enjoy that he uses it, but occasionally if I'm stoically ignoring him he'll try out "Baby!" instead, which is what Ama uses. :lol:

drat smooth operators, those two.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Mochi does not like Christmas music. Hmm.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

subpar anachronism posted:

Mochi does not like Christmas music. Hmm.

poo poo, same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Alex is back in action :unsmith:

https://twitter.com/AlexTheHonk/status/1208517467066130432