Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Neo Survivor is awesome and I wil

(spends 10 in game days making tannin tea]

l argue anyone about game balance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Neo Survivor is awesome and I wil

(spends 10 in game days making tannin tea]

l argue anyone about game balance

I really need to actually get Neo Survivor during a sale, one of these days. I totally forgot to get it, during the Black Friday sales. :( Ah well, URW scratches all my survival itches. I'm slowly making progress on my hybrid kota-house! (The main thing that's slowing me down is that I don't like using fine furs on the kota, rather than trading them. Dammit, I can't help if my character is somehow a miracle archer! :D )

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Neo Survivor is very much one of those games that is better to read about than play because the stories gloss over stuff like the early game struggle to find a loving pair of god damned shoes.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Neo Survivor couldn't decide if it was an RPG or an open world RPG, and it shows.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I've started on Cataclysm:DDA and it's starting to sink it's claws in. It's got the usual roguelike frontloaded complexity, but the loop of raiding houses while evading a zombie horde that's on your scent is extremely satisfying. Game also gives no fucks how you kill your enemies. Lure an unbeatably tough enemy into a minefield? Lock a dozen zombies in a house and set it on fire? Honk your car's horn while round the corner from an automated turret? Go right ahead! So of course, on my last run, I ran into a barricaded house to avoid a high level zombie and since that was distracting me I didn't notice that it was filled with landmines and blew myself to gently caress. What a game.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 12, 2019

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

We have so many stupid gamey things to show you in the CDDA thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553436

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bug Squash posted:

I've stated on Cataclysm:DDA and it's starting to sink it's claws in. It's got the usual roguelike frontloaded complexity, but the loop of raiding houses while evading a zombie horde that's on your scent is extremely satisfying. Game also gives no fucks if house you kill your enemies. Lure unbeatably tough enemy into a minefield? Lock a dozen zombies in a house and set it on fire? Honk your car's horn while round the corner from an automated turrer? Go right ahead! So of course, on my last run, I ran into a barricaded house to avoid a high level zombie and since that was distracting me I didn't notice that it was filled with landmines and blew myself to gently caress. What a game.
Cataclysm DDA is a game someone pitched to me as being obtuse by its design rather than its actual mechanics. It took me maybe a dozen dead characters before I finally realized what the game actually wanted me to do, how I was supposed to interact with it, but once that finally made sense I was off like lightning. It's so broad and so deep, and as you said, the core loop of building, exploring, looting and returning is done so well that I inevitably forgive all the game's other flaws. It takes a special kind of understanding to get on board with but if you can get past that first wall it'll probably have its teeth in you.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I've been playing The Long Dark since the update and I've noticed a few things seem to have changed. (Or maybe I'm just oblivious)

It seems like wolves will actually charge you now. If you keep walking they will eventually get bored and charge anyway instead of just following you forever. Need to test this more.

Harvesting clothes now uses up sewing kits/line and tackle. It was dropping by 5% for ever item I broke down. I dropped all my kits and line and could till harvest stuff so I'm assuming its a bug.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the sewing kit thing was explicitly fixed in the hotfix, the wolf thing is just the new behavior since the last chapter came out.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
just crack a flare or hold a torch

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Dandywalken posted:

playing unreal world for the first time. What am I missing with active hunting? I see more animals outside daily than I see over a week in this.

Animals can be pretty unpredictable in that game. Sometimes I will go days or weeks barely seeing anything until I'm on the verge of starvation, and other times I will see ridiculous numbers of them, like several days in a row I will see herds of animals go by and there will be elk and reindeer falling into my pit traps over and over again. I might not even have time to finish harvesting one giant elk carcass before another one falls into a pit trap a little ways down the line.

Another thing about that game is that there are a lot more animals walking around than your character can see. You can sometimes find more animals by traveling on the zoomed-in map than you can on the zoomed-out wilderness map. It seems that when traveling on the zoomed-out map, your character's skills and stats like eyesight will determine the chances of seeing something or not, and it's not always very reliable. Sometimes you will walk right by a big herd of reindeer just one tile over without even seeing it. If you travel on the zoomed-in map though, you can run into or hear animals nearby, or you can come upon their tracks while your character might miss the tracks on the wilderness map. Sometimes I'll see multiple species of animals interacting with each other in a small area, and I will lose sight of them if I zoom out. It can be a pain in the rear end walking around zoomed-in all the time though, since you have to keep moving around all the trees everywhere, so I like to alternate between the different zoom modes now and then.

The best way to do active hunting IMO is to stay away from the heavily forested areas of the map. You want to find wide open bog areas where you can see for multiple kilometers at a time across open ground. It will be easier to see animals and also much easier to chase them down. Strip down until you are naked and pack as light as possible so your character can run long distances without getting tired. Then the animals will get hung up and exhaust themselves on the small ponds everywhere around open bogs, allowing you to run up and stab them in the face. Hills and mountains can be good areas too.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Bhodi posted:

the sewing kit thing was explicitly fixed in the hotfix, the wolf thing is just the new behavior since the last chapter came out.

drat that was fast. It was doing it the morning I was playing and was patched by that evening. Cool.

I figured it was part of the update. Timberwoves definitely charge, but I did some more testing and I was able to walk away from regular wolves. I've been in Bleak Inlet almost exclusively so I'll play with it more now that I'm headed back home.

I have plenty of bullets now in case they get uppity. :)

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I wish there was some way to specifically turn on feat accumulation stuff while in a custom game. I want to play interloper but with access to a gun god drat it.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
There was a mod for that but it's probably broken with the update. The existing mods for TLD are all pretty good but are a pain to set up.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Feeling quite accomplished with myself. Can't figure out hunting for poo poo because I keep almost starving to death while looking for an animal, but after several grueling days, I have built a raft and managed to get it out onto the water so I could set my nets out. I can only hope that not having to manually fish as often will let me spent time building up wood reserves and start thinking about other things than 'do I have enough wood and fish to not die today'.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 17, 2019

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

General hunting tips: find big contiguous marsh areas (talking like ~10 screens worth, best area for these is usually the southeast part of the map) and do a big circle patrol of them. Go from hill go hill, stopping at each vantage point to do a big 360 of the surrounding area. Don't bother looking around from anywhere other than a hill, it's not really worth it. Your ideal target is a herd of elk in the middle of a marsh. Don't bother going after anything in the woods unless you're a crack shot or have a dog, otherwise you'll just waste arrows. Marshes are by far the best hunting area because if you hit an animal you'll slow it and there's a very good chance it'll bleed out/go unconscious before it can make it to the surrounding woods and escape. It can also get trapped by the marsh pools where you can corner it. Also, if its spring it can hilariously fall through the ice and drown if it's panic sprinting away. Mechanically it's also far easier hunting in a marsh because you dont have to give yourself a headache tracking a dying deer around 900 trees from a top down perspective.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I'll keep those in mind, even if hunting an elk is a bit beyond me, but that'll likely have to be done later, on another character. Was out looking around my little camp and ended up jumped by a robber. Tried to fight and thought it was going well until I was suddenly knocked out. Now I have no bow, no knife, and no clothes :sigh: That's pretty much a death knell for this guy.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

I'll keep those in mind, even if hunting an elk is a bit beyond me, but that'll likely have to be done later, on another character. Was out looking around my little camp and ended up jumped by a robber. Tried to fight and thought it was going well until I was suddenly knocked out. Now I have no bow, no knife, and no clothes :sigh: That's pretty much a death knell for this guy.

You'd think that, but some of my best games have resulted from near death experiences: Like this one

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

That is a great story, but I don't think I can emulate it. Scrabbled back to my camp just now to take stock. My only clothing is a rough nettle cloak and some mail mittens. No pants, no shirt, no shoes. I've got a few roasted fish and my nets are out in the water, but my only shelter is still the basic one as I only have a stone axe to work with. It's almost halfway through summer, I think, and I have yet to kill anything other than fish, so I have no hides to even think about making clothes. No idea where the closest settlement is because I can't travel very far from home without risking death as I have no way to carry water and not much in the way of food for just how often you need to eat in this game. Not to mention my injuries from the robbers.

And looming above it all, I have no knife, so I don't think I could even craft most things now. This guy was never going to be very long term, just being my first go at seriously learning the game, but it does kinda suck to lose him now, when I was certain he'd at least make it to winter before freezing and/or starving.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

That is a great story, but I don't think I can emulate it. Scrabbled back to my camp just now to take stock. My only clothing is a rough nettle cloak and some mail mittens. No pants, no shirt, no shoes. I've got a few roasted fish and my nets are out in the water, but my only shelter is still the basic one as I only have a stone axe to work with. It's almost halfway through summer, I think, and I have yet to kill anything other than fish, so I have no hides to even think about making clothes. No idea where the closest settlement is because I can't travel very far from home without risking death as I have no way to carry water and not much in the way of food for just how often you need to eat in this game. Not to mention my injuries from the robbers.

And looming above it all, I have no knife, so I don't think I could even craft most things now. This guy was never going to be very long term, just being my first go at seriously learning the game, but it does kinda suck to lose him now, when I was certain he'd at least make it to winter before freezing and/or starving.

I'm not saying the odds are great, don't get me wrong. However, this game more than most survival games I've played, can really shine when you triumph over adversity.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Or at least provide an entertaining doom

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Well what would be step one to even try and continue living? Got a handful of roast fishes for food, and my camp on the shore of a little lake at the border between thick pine woods and a mire. Don't know where any settlements are, but I believe I was somewhere in the south, possibly somewhat east as well, I can't remember exactly.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

Well what would be step one to even try and continue living? Got a handful of roast fishes for food, and my camp on the shore of a little lake at the border between thick pine woods and a mire. Don't know where any settlements are, but I believe I was somewhere in the south, possibly somewhat east as well, I can't remember exactly.
You can accomplish most tasks with your stone axe, even if they're a lot slower than if you had the right tool for the job. At this point you mostly have a lot of time on your hands while you heal anyway. You've got nets out, so harvest them once you can reasonably do so. If you don't have any already, set some snare traps on top of any nearby bushes if you can. Getting your hands on some sort of leather is definitely a priority. You said it's only midsummer so the basic shelter should be just fine. Worst case use your crappy axe to fell any saplings nearby to burn for warmth at night. It'll be slow going for a bit, but as long as you can keep yourself fed you'll heal and be able to prosper eventually.

Finding a nearby settlement can be helpful, but the game leaves plenty of options to get by with just the basics, even if they aren't 100% optimal. As you've already noted a new knife is a top priority, as it makes everything else easier. Clothing is another big thing as you mentioned, but you've got time before it's really important. A trap fence or some way to reliably trap large animals makes all the difference. If memory serves you can build a wooden shovel with the stone axe, which you can use to build deadfall traps. Being near a lake means animals will wander nearby, so set a couple small trap lines near your area at the waterline while you recuperate. Again, it'll be slow, but time is on your side.

The worst part will be snagging your first big kill without any way to reasonably cure the meat, which sucks. If you pull it off, just smoke the meat quickly and find some high ground nearby to scout out a settlement to sell the bulk of it at. Depending on luck you'll either be able to snag some good tools or an animal to make the rest of your game easier. From there on out, build a smokehouse and better shelter and the rest of the game is boring.

Don't get me wrong, it's gonna suck and luck will play a large part in whether or not you make it, but that's really the heart of the game. If you pull it off it feels great though, there aren't many games out there where even the smallest victories can feel so significant.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

NatasDog posted:

You'd think that, but some of my best games have resulted from near death experiences: Like this one

Hot drat, my old thread :3: I'm retardedly in love with URW.

being without a knife right at the start is a good candidate for a restart since I don't think there's a way to make a stone knife without mods and you have to trade/steal/loot for a new one; you CAN eke out a living with just a stone-axe but it will be miserable, and unless there's a relatively quick way to find a new knife - either killing some poor random guy walking by, or trading for it in a village - it will hamper progress a whole lot. I hate robbers for this very reason, it might seem "nice" that they leave you alive but if they snag all your tools it's pretty much just killing you slowly. Clothes are a non-issue unless you're getting frostbite regularly, which will only happen at worst in the early autumn I think even for naked characters, you've got time and it's not like your willy is going to get frostbitten. Actually, it probably could, it just never happened to me despite trying - I died first of all the other frostbites to hands, feet, arms and legs.

Anyway trying to salvage a character in such a lovely situation can be a fun learning experience (I had a pretty harrowing encounter with a bear on an island once, right after spawning on said island the bear attacked and I managed to kill it but getting my legs smushed in the process which left me stranded for many days while I tried to heal my legs and find enough food so I could survive and get off the drat place but didn't manage it in the end :( ), so I also say go for it. Honestly, it's not likely that you'll get very far along anyways if you can't find, steal or trade for a knife :v:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 19, 2019

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Clothes are a non-issue unless you're getting frostbite regularly, which will only happen at worst in the early autumn I think even for naked characters, you've got time and it's not like your willy is going to get frostbitten. Actually, it probably could, it just never happened to me despite trying - I died first of all the other frostbites to hands, feet, arms and legs.

I love how you've put time and effort into this, haha :D

But yeah, I agree with the others - it's gonna be a challenge, but drat it'll end up leaving you with a great story in the end, even if you die! I'd say keep going at it - at least until/unless it starts getting a bit tedious, anyway.
I'd definitely recommend finding a village to trade with, though. Then trade whatever you can (Like a roast trout or two, seeing as I think you said you had nets) for a knife and get back in the figurative saddle.
I definitely recommend checking the map (WITH the cultire colours enabled, since that's off by default) and try wandering to/around the nearest tribe's turf, for a village. (Definitely prioritize getting some roast meat prepped first though)

Also, can you craft javelins with an axe, or do you NEED a knife for the sharpening bit? Since if you can make do with only a stone axe and a fire, I'd recommend making at least a few. They're 'free' to make from slender trees, and they're solid weapons for ranged AND melee (acting as a short spear) in a pinch. You could also trade them away, when needed.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Well, I just started playing again, ready to at least try the advice. Unfortunately I can't make any rope, and thus any snares, because a stone ax doesn't work for peeling bark from a tree.

edit: and without a knife, all I could build would be entirely empty pit traps with no fences, because it takes a stone ax multiple hours to carve a simple wooden stake.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 20, 2019

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I believe you can turn small saplings into cord now on the latest update

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

dylguy90 posted:

I believe you can turn small saplings into cord now on the latest update

Withes, yeah. I have like 10 feet of those that I made way back at the character first being made. They don't count as cord for the purposes of snare traps, or for making rafts.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

Well, I just started playing again, ready to at least try the advice. Unfortunately I can't make any rope, and thus any snares, because a stone ax doesn't work for peeling bark from a tree.

edit: and without a knife, all I could build would be entirely empty pit traps with no fences, because it takes a stone ax multiple hours to carve a simple wooden stake.
It does take a long time, I've had to do it before. That said, what else are you going to be doing with your day other than sitting around after you clear your nets and slowly starve to death? Empty pit traps are my recommended setup. Spike traps can kill the animal and if you're looking to skill up your weapon skills it's better to beat whatever falls in to death with whatever you have on hand. Also, I'm really bad about falling into my own traps; a broken/sprained limb is a hell of a lot easier to recover from than getting a puncture wound and possibly bleeding out in your own trap in one of the most embarrassing ways to die in URW.

I'd use some of your downtime to try and get a bead on a nearby village too, since you'll be spending at least some of your time building completely exhausted. Once you have a couple small L shaped fences along the water's edge you'll snag something relatively quickly, and you can use the roasted meat to trade for a knife.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
A pretty surefire emergency food source is a line of 5 loop snares along a North/south shoreline. They don't even need to be baited, they will catch birds as they fly or waddle through. You can also do this along the sides of your camp, as the game seems to love to spawn birds to interrupt whatever you're doing.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Sadly, I'm officially forced to declare this character a dead man walking. You need a knife to carve a shovel, so no pit traps can be made. There's just too much that needs a knife to live without one, especially when I'm still trying to learn.

Off to a new character, I suppose.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

My suggestion would be to find some villages ASAP and maybe trade one of your fishing nets for a knife and fishing rod or whatever else you can get. Maybe they might offer some easy quests as well. You can also use village smokehouses for smoking your meat and fish. The game is much easier when you're around a cluster of good villages. That is definitely a very punishing start for a new player though.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Is Wayward on Steam any good, still too EA to tell or not worth bothering with?

Edit: looked through thread more, seems I'll wait a bit.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 29, 2019

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Has anyone played Generation Zero? Seems too good to be true. To me this looks like a better version of Sir, You Are Being Hunted? That game also looked good on the surface, but once you play it for about 10 minutes you start to realize that it sucks.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 13, 2020

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Has anyone played Generation Zero? Seems too good to be true. To me this looks like a better version of Sir, You Are Being Hunted? That game also looked good on the surface, but once you play it for about 10 minutes you start to realize that it sucks.
I've got quite a lot invested in the game so here's a big effortpost about it:

You want to know if there's a catch, and there is: it's very buggy in a specific all or nothing way. This is the same reason Steam reviews are so negative, and rightfully so. General performance is surprisingly good, but it's plagued with crashes, depending on the machine. You might be one of the people like me who never runs into trouble. But I tried playing with a friend who would get crashes at absolutely random intervals, sometimes after an hour of play, sometimes after 2 minutes. Apparently the game is essentially never stable on Win7 so if you're using an old version of Windows be forewarned. There's a library of tips and tricks for how to 'solve' the crashes from across the internet, but no agreed-upon single solution. Also a few sidequests here and there that are reportedly problematic.

For those for whom the game does work there's a lot to like, I think. The way guns handle and fire feels solid and satisfying, looting is enjoyable and you gradually get a sense of what items are more likely to be found in what kind of locations, and the enemies and resulting fights are a lot of fun to deal with.
The game heavily emphasizes gear, as weapons come in a variety of types, but also quality levels, which affect basic stats as well as non-numerical aspects. For instance, a dilapidated scope will be cracked and dirty, while a high quality one will be polished and clear. Weapons are moddable with a variety of pickups like silencers, scopes, expanded mags, and so on. Loot is random, and also slightly weighted (so you'll find less ammo when you're carrying tons, but if you're running on empty you'll find a bit more) which speaks to the game's overall desire to keep things rolling. You start off with a crappy pistol that you come to lean on heavily, but once you get your first shotgun or rifle you'll taste real power, and the balance is such that weapons really feel significantly different in power and versatility. Handling matters here more than most games I've seen. Most guns also have multiple types of ammunition, which matters for more than most games I've seen. Shotguns for instance can have birdshot, buckshot, and slugs. Most guns will have a choice of soft/hollow and armor piercing rounds. The former does bonus damage to weak spots, the latter does higher damage overall, and the difference is actually very pronounced.
The enemies are very deadly. Even the very first enemy you encounter can kill you from full health in just two volleys or so, if it catches you out in the open. And the next strongest thing you fight is such a step up in power you will easily get blown over if you don't take proper precautions, like stronger weapons, flanking maneuvers, heavy cover, etc. All enemies have a few weak points, which vary between robots and may not be immediately obvious (some will), but the rest of them is heavily armored because they're made of metal. A well aimed shot is the difference between taking down a starter enemy in literally 2 shots vs easily 15-20. Weak spots count for a lot. Some enemies will have temporary weak points, such that once destroyed, won't take any further damage even if the enemy isn't dead yet. Most enemies have breakable parts - for instance you can shoot the gun off some enemies, which saves you the threat at range, but then they might switch to melee and be even more unpredictable. And especially for bigger enemies, the way you take them down determines the loot you get. For instance, blowing the fuel tank can be a quick way to destroy a bot, but if you leave it intact you have a chance to salvage it as an explosive for use in later fights. Leaving a gun undamaged means a better chance at salvaging more ammo. That kind of thing.
Enemy AI isn't perfect (they are robots after all) but I'm frequently surprised by how often a pack of foes will catch me with a surprise flank, and more than once I've been pinned down by a heavy unit not eager to reveal its weak points. Flanking them, however, or using combat items (which are consumeable but frequently found) can turn the tide in your favor.

All these systems naturally flow together to make for a very strong feeling of guerrilla warfare. You have to pick your shots, you have to hit and run, you have to divide and conquer, you have to strike unexpected. Maybe more than any other game I've ever played, the game emphasizes how important first strikes and careful tactics are, all as a natural consequence of how things like weak points, enemy lethality, and gear considerations work. It doesn't force you to play a certain way by making you restart a sequence if you're spotted, but being stealthy, careful, picking your shots, and maybe setting some traps is the difference between a clean ambush you can handle in a few shots, and a protracted firefight that'll cost you tons of first aid packs and ammo. And when that ambush goes right, goddamn do you feel good.

Lastly, the game is absolutely enormous. I'm about 10-12 hours in and I've not started to get bored, but I still feel like I've just scratched the surface. You'll almost definitely run out of interest before you run out of content.

The biggest caveat I'll put here is that it's a game you almost need to play multiplayer. I know "it's fun with friends!" is a lame defense, but because of the game's emphasis on ambushes, having at least two players opens things up a lot for tactics like multi-pronged attacks, human bait/diversions, flanking, etc. This is a game where "cover me!" and "lay down some distracting fire, I'm going around" are tactics I've only ever really used against computer opponents to show off, but in this game they're make or break. And I don't have many better digital war stories than the time I staked out an old farmhouse with two others as robots bore down on the place, charging through the kitchen among the flying glass from the exploding window, as I made for the back door in the hopes of breaking to the barn and getting a sniper's position to cover my besieged friends. This is really a game where we want to talk about every fight after it's over, just recounting the cool poo poo we all did. You could make it work in singleplayer but I doubt it'd have the staying power.

Oh, and that's not even to mention all the updates the developers have been pushing out since release. They've added vehicles (mostly bikes), new weapons and areas, new threats, and even a Shadow of Mordor-inspired "rival" system against special, generated robots that'll hunt you down specifically. The patches have been frequent, too, so performance and crashes are getting significantly better. A long-standing (since release) multiplayer loot bug was patched up just last time I played. Probably why the trend in Steam reviews has gotten more and more positive over time, as more of these performance problems are finally fixed.

So bottom line: If the core gameplay isn't enough for you, it's liable to get repetitive over time since there's not a whole lot else to the sandbox, and if it doesn't work right on your machine you'll probably only get frustration. But if it does work, you can get into the flow, and especially if you've got a friend or two to bring along, there's a whole island's worth of some really fun guerrilla combat against cool robots with scrounged-up weaponry, salvaged gear, and tactics that feel like they matter. Works as advertised, if it works.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

loving UnReal World snagging me again after the anticlimactic end to my first proper go of things. Started up a fresh gal, on the dead dad start vs the fisherman I did last time (wanted to be sure I got an axe.), stripped pops for everything and ran the gently caress away. Wandered a little bit til I found a spot where the forest bordered a lake. A settlement happens to be right by just a few tiles away which is nice, but kinda useless, they don't have much to trade.

Got the basic stuff down, and went and made a couple of traps down along the shore, pit and the basic lever trap, vaguely hoping either an elk runs over a pit or one of the ducks I can hear set off a lever trap. Starting to really hope one does, because I am real poo poo at actually catching fish with this pole.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

ShootaBoy posted:

loving UnReal World snagging me again after the anticlimactic end to my first proper go of things. Started up a fresh gal, on the dead dad start vs the fisherman I did last time (wanted to be sure I got an axe.), stripped pops for everything and ran the gently caress away. Wandered a little bit til I found a spot where the forest bordered a lake. A settlement happens to be right by just a few tiles away which is nice, but kinda useless, they don't have much to trade.

Got the basic stuff down, and went and made a couple of traps down along the shore, pit and the basic lever trap, vaguely hoping either an elk runs over a pit or one of the ducks I can hear set off a lever trap. Starting to really hope one does, because I am real poo poo at actually catching fish with this pole.

Make some loop snares, they're pretty quick and cheap requiring only tying equipment, setting them up is instantaneous ([a]pply it from your inventory), don't strictly require bait and seem to have a much higher success rate than light lever traps in catching birds. If you want to improve your chances you can throw a fistful of berries, seeds or a turnip on top to increase chances of getting something.

I have a line of like, 7 loop snares spaced out 2-3 tiles from each other (in the zoomed-in map) and super close to my camp; hares usually don't come near but birds don't care - actually I think they're more attracted to places with human activity? Anytime I do something birds start flying by all the time - and I usually get 1 bird (or more) every 2 days; might not be enough to keep yourself fed but it's a super easy and cheap way to supplement fishing / active hunting.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 30, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, loop snares are amazing. I'll normally have like, three near my house in/by bushes and the like, and I end up getting birds all the time, without any real effort.

Also, I've had WAY more luck with using nets over other fishing equipment, personally. I'd see if you could set up camp by (or near) some rapids, so that the ice doesn't freeze over, then put out a couple of nets and check them every day or so.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I didnt realise there were TLD mods, I guess thats what I get for using steam workshop exclusively (it appears to only have language mods)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

So I cut up my dead dad's clothes for cord and made like a dozen loop snares spread out along the shore and in the nearby berry bushes. Baited them all too, but still haven't caught any of the drat ducks that I still hear around there.

But! I went out on a short jaunt around some nearby forest just down the road from my camp. Didn't have much luck with the few bits of small game I ran into, they all fled before I got a good shot. Until I literally stumbled into a small herd of reindeer. Somehow they didn't see me when I dropped in nearly right on them. I hid and snuck a little closer before they spotted me. I took a chance, and let an arrow loose at the closest one, hoping to maybe hurt it so I could chase it down. Game had other ideas, because I hit it square in the thorax and killed it in one shot.

So now I have 124 pounds of reindeer meat to deal with. Thankfully there's like 5 settlements within an easy walk. Still wanna try and build a cellar to see if I can keep some stored.