Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Jurgan posted:

Y is this generation twice as long as all the others?

It will be an ever expanding time gap that just represents "all people younger than me." Give it a couple decades and they'll be bitching about everyone born between 1980 and 2030.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Dude who shared this was born in 83, which is probably not too long before this image was first scanned

More like:
Y should I get a second job on top of the 60 hours/week I work already?
Y should I be forced to pay more than half my salary in rent to some baby boomer fucks fourth house just to line their pockets?
Y should I get a car when I can take public transportation/walk/ride a bike?
Y should I clean my room when I have crippling depression from reality and it hurts to wake up because you realize that every day the world get's more expensive compared to what I am earning?
Y should I wash and iron my clothes? See above.
Y should I buy any food when I can't afford any?

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Why do we call the second group - Boomers?

Boom! There goes your chance at ever retiring, but gently caress you I got mine!
Boom! There goes affordable education, but gently caress you we got ours!
Boom! There goes affordable healthcare, but gently caress you we got Medicare!
Boom! [The last sound your kid ever heard because he was in math class when somebody who never should have had an AR-15 easily obtained one and picked your kid's room first]
Boom! There goes the entire loving planet!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Y should I entertain the opinions of someone who thinks I can even afford clothes that need ironing, let alone that I could be lazy enough to not iron them, instead of washing my one t-shirt and two sets of scrubs every loving day for my two jobs

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

tek79 posted:

Why do we call the second group - Boomers?

Boom! There goes your chance at ever retiring, but gently caress you I got mine!
Boom! There goes affordable education, but gently caress you we got ours!
Boom! There goes affordable healthcare, but gently caress you we got Medicare!
Boom! [The last sound your kid ever heard because he was in math class when somebody who never should have had an AR-15 easily obtained one and picked your kid's room first]
Boom! There goes the entire loving planet!

Nah, pretty sure they're called Boomers because they spew toxic bile at you nonstop and they try to do as much collateral damage as they can when they die.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Nah, pretty sure they're called Boomers because they spew toxic bile at you nonstop and they try to do as much collateral damage as they can when they die.
they're called Baby Boomers because one tiny little pinch and BOOM they turn into babies.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Maybe it's just my lovely family or where I live, but I don't even see the line between most Gen X'ers and Boomers anyway. My parents are just as loving dumb and racist as my grandparents. And people around my parents' age have been mostly poo poo at any job I've had.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Grimdude posted:

Maybe it's just my lovely family or where I live, but I don't even see the line between most Gen X'ers and Boomers anyway. My parents are just as loving dumb and racist as my grandparents. And people around my parents' age have been mostly poo poo at any job I've had.

I saw a graph of Trump approval by age and Gen X is just a fairly steep slope between the Boomers and Millenials

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I feel like Boomerism has evolved beyond an age group to being a state of mind.

It's become it's own unique flavor of FYGM selfishness and disregard for anything/anyone else, and there are plenty of people who aren't Boomer age but still share that particular evil ideology.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

the_steve posted:

I feel like Boomerism has evolved beyond an age group to being a state of mind.

It's become it's own unique flavor of FYGM selfishness and disregard for anything/anyone else, and there are plenty of people who aren't Boomer age but still share that particular evil ideology.

The key part is a total inability to accept that other people might have it worse than they do. Boomers grew up in economical boom (hah) times and refuse to accept that not only are those times gone, they are largely responsible for them disappearing.

But that doesn't have to be a generational thing, as you said. 22yo trust fund babies whining about how persecuted they are, those folks are boomer as gently caress. And so on.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Tarezax posted:

I saw a graph of Trump approval by age and Gen X is just a fairly steep slope between the Boomers and Millenials

There's a hell of a difference between early Gen X and late Gen X. Pre-vs-Post Reagan maturity.

edit: vvvv Also kids can be rather cut-throat little shits. The idea that they don't know that a participation trophy isn't a win is pretty insulting.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 19, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If I had to distill Boomerism down to its essential, I would say "lack of self-awareness"

My Ur-Boomerism example is "millenials are entitled weaklings who demand participation trophies for losing". When, of course, participation trophies were something Boomers wanted in the first place that's why THEY gave them to US. Even if they're bad, it's 100% on the Boomers who gave them out, not on the kids. loving obviously.

Any honorary Boomers you meet have that exact total lack of self-awareness about pretty much everything no matter what age they are.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

CuddleCryptid posted:

The key part is a total inability to accept that other people might have it worse than they do. Boomers grew up in economical boom (hah) times and refuse to accept that not only are those times gone, they are largely responsible for them disappearing.

But that doesn't have to be a generational thing, as you said. 22yo trust fund babies whining about how persecuted they are, those folks are boomer as gently caress. And so on.

Maybe the dividing line isn't generational but instead something else. Wonder how we could possibly classify it...

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

If I had to distill Boomerism down to its essential, I would say "lack of self-awareness"

My Ur-Boomerism example is "millenials are entitled weaklings who demand participation trophies for losing". When, of course, participation trophies were something Boomers wanted in the first place that's why THEY gave them to US. Even if they're bad, it's 100% on the Boomers who gave them out, not on the kids. loving obviously.

Any honorary Boomers you meet have that exact total lack of self-awareness about pretty much everything no matter what age they are.

And any kid old enough to understand what a competition is knows that participation trophies are 100% bullshit. They exist only to make the parents happy.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Not to mention that they're pretty much cliche at this point and don't really exist for kids of any significant age. Or, at least, that's my impression.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I mean really it was probably for the trophy manufacturers who made a ton of sales to local peewee sports leagues every year. The kids didn't care, maybe the parents care although I think the kind of parent who wants a trophy isn't satisfied with a participation trophy, they're the kind of toxic midlife-crisis parent trying to vicariously live out all their failed dreams and unfulfilled expectations through their kid and they want their kid to be the champion and get the real trophy.

Participation trophies themselves are wasteful and just end up in landfills so that's p bad, but the idea behind them, that there can only be one champion, it's almost certainly not going to be you, and that's okay and you should just be happy you had a fun time with your friends and proud of what you did and get pizza together even if you lost, is a positive one.

It's always funny how that self-awareness came naturally to most kids, it was obvious that we were probably not going to beat 100 teams and be state champs or whatever, but how many loving parents think their kid has to be the champion.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

totalnewbie posted:

Not to mention that they're pretty much cliche at this point and don't really exist for kids of any significant age. Or, at least, that's my impression.

No they still exist for children of a certain age:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mentholmoose posted:

No they still exist for children of a certain age:

lmao

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Participation awards are really useful to motivate the kids who are too young to be really competitive. It keeps them playing the game long enough to develop basic skills. But really a pizza party accomplishes nearly the same goal.

After that, yeah, it's just for the parents.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

It's always funny how that self-awareness came naturally to most kids, it was obvious that we were probably not going to beat 100 teams and be state champs or whatever, but how many loving parents think their kid has to be the champion.

A lot of it is also not teaching pride in what you've accomplished, and that if you aren't first you're just another loser.

Wish I could find the quote stm, but American Gods has a brief passage on small towns that proudly put up their local school's sport accomplishments. "Third place in the regional middle school softball" and the ilk that truly spoke to me.

The point should never have been trophies, but rather a game well played. Do your best and take pride in your accomplishments.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They are very upset over what a child said.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Orange Devil posted:

Maybe the dividing line isn't generational but instead something else. Wonder how we could possibly classify it...

I think the dividing line is somewhere between shoulder and chin height

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Wrecking your own engine to own the libs!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Aren't most of those wrong anyways?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Taerkar posted:

Aren't most of those wrong anyways?

Yes, they're wrong.

I mean, sure, you CAN but at hilarious costs.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
After a quick google I think I found the source of this nonsense because it regurgitates the pro bullet points vebatim. Amusingly some of the con points in the article seem to directly contradict several of the pros. Like it has "better gas mileage" as a pro but "reduces fuel economy" as a con and "exaust sounds better" as a pro but "Creates more noise" as a con. There's also this little gem tucked away in there:

quote:

Federal law in the United States prohibits the removal of a catalytic converter which is functioning properly. A replacement converter is permitted if there is a documented failure of the original one. Serious fines may result if your vehicle is found to be without this device.

Seems like a pretty big loving con right there.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I grew up in Arkansas and I can assure you that HUGE swathes of the American South routinely cut the catalytic converters out of their vehicles. The volume of your truck is directly tied to the size of your dick.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

This seems like grasping at straws.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I feel like “President O’Bama” has to be intentional rather than a typo but I can’t fathom what it means. Obama is a secret Muslim Kenyan from....Ireland?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
His dad was a subject of the British Empire, much like Ireland, so he can't be president, just like how Kennedy had a direct line to the Vatican?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

You know who else was a subject of the British Empire?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

XIII posted:

I grew up in Arkansas and I can assure you that HUGE swathes of the American South routinely cut the catalytic converters out of their vehicles. The volume of your truck is directly tied to the size of your dick.

This is true, just not with the relationship they think it is.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Imagine how many world problems would be solved if we could make a pill that made everyone who wanted to have a big dick.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Dehry posted:

This seems like grasping at straws.

You know what President O'bama did!!!!????!!!!!!!!!

[posts a list of poo poo that Obama didn't do]

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

tek79 posted:

You know what President O'bama did!!!!????!!!!!!!!!

[posts a list of poo poo that Obama didn't do]

But imagine if he did. Be pretty hosed up then huh

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Orange Devil posted:

Imagine how many world problems would be solved if we could make a pill that made everyone who wanted to have a big dick.

We do. It's blue and gives you a big dick nearly on command.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

RagnarokAngel posted:

But imagine if he did. Be pretty hosed up then huh

Yeah, like how he made saying "Merry Christmas" punishable by death.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

You know who else was a subject of the British Empire?

That's right, George Washington. Owned much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

We do. It's blue and gives you a big dick nearly on command.

That's not really how it works.