Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ranter posted:

OK buddy I was being nice but since we're gonna do this

This is a dumb post.

Here I thought they were talking about the squeeze a lot of SF restaurants are feeling with rent and labor, and that they resulted in closures of some amazing places, which I could have been onboard with!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Ranter posted:

OK buddy I was being nice but since we're gonna do this

This is a dumb post.

You gunna name all these great pizza places in the city who’s honor your defending?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
You're really dumb if you think SF has "no good pizza."

Rusty's Southern has good BBQ specials! Also owned by the nicest folks. I thought 4505 was pretty good *shrug* Front Porch also does BBQ specials that are quite good. Pete's in the MIssion is more of a hof brau style BBQ joint, but their rotisserie chicken is bomb. Southpaw had pretty okay BBQ ($1 rib specials, etc.) but they closed. SF is hard for BBQ not because they have sauce options but because almost every type of smoker is banned due to air quality regs. I opened Lazy Bear's brick and mortar and we had this incredible 15k smoker in the basement leftover from Hi-Lo BBQ that we couldn't use because of air regs. I went to Smokin Warehouse in Bayview once and thought it was good Texas style!

Nara on Haight is weirdly one of my favorite sushi joints, although I've had really, really fantastic meals at Hamano & Ishi. Nara is more chill and has better booze selection. That $14 big rear end grilled collar can't be beat and their specials board always has interesting things going on.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 20, 2019

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

You're really dumb if you think SF has "no good pizza."

I never said there was no good pizza, especially cause there is an Arizmendi making the kind of pizza I’m talking about on Valencia.
I just think those are the best places cause they aren’t emulating a different region’s style.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Arizmendi's pizzas are a real weird style to hyper focus in on as being "the best" but okay boo, you do you.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

My friends run a coffee roastery in the sunset and the air quality regs were pretty insane to deal with when they put in their new roaster. Apparently it has an afterburner to clean up the emissions

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I'm sure there's good pizza in SF, but everyone always orders Escape From New York for events, and that poo poo is an affront to pizzakind.

Dunno about 4505's pork and beef stuff, but their chicken sandwich is definitely good poo poo.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

That’s good because their burger I had was not good. Way too salty

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Growing up goat hill was always a great place, I haven't been to the original location in a while, but it definitely was a defining pizza taste for me.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
golden boy is good

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

luminalflux posted:

My friends run a coffee roastery in the sunset and the air quality regs were pretty insane to deal with when they put in their new roaster. Apparently it has an afterburner to clean up the emissions

Wrecking Ball?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Ranter posted:

Which east bay pizza place makes better pizza than every single Sf pizza place? And what do they do differently?

A Zachary's thin crust cheese and pesto pizza is the only great pizza in Northern California

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Zachary’s is good if you like white bread pizza.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Wrecking Ball?

Andytown

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

El Mero Mero posted:

A Zachary's thin crust cheese and pesto pizza is the only great pizza in Northern California

Yikes yikes yikes, what a terrible hot take

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

It's great and better than cheeseboard.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Is Square Pie Guys as good as the hype makes it out to be?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Nara on Haight is weirdly one of my favorite sushi joints, although I've had really, really fantastic meals at Hamano & Ishi. Nara is more chill and has better booze selection. That $14 big rear end grilled collar can't be beat and their specials board always has interesting things going on.

Nara on Haight is dope af. I used to go there all the time because the Lower Haight used to be a horrible sushi wasteland, and their sushi was good plus their staff were all super nice and super fun. One of their main chefs used to do dope little Korean sides as extras, and they'd also do some cool cuts - stuff like 3-day, 5-day, 7-day aged halibut sashimi, little finicky salmon belly or halibut wing/fin stuff.

I was in once when a Korean family came through for their 10-yo son's birthday, the front of house manager snuck around giving everyone else a heads-up and then they blasted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0uZ73b8X4s Turbo's Happy Birthday and it was amazing

edit: NOPA does dope-rear end California pizza, it's just called flatbread instead (troll/not troll)

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

What are some good sushi spots around the mission/castro? So far I've been disappointed by sushi time, warakabune and we be sushi. Eiji is ok but service is a bit slow.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

El Mero Mero posted:

It's great and better than cheeseboard.

That’s because the only thing “good” about Cheeseboard is the hippie background story.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 21, 2019

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

luminalflux posted:

What are some good sushi spots around the mission/castro? So far I've been disappointed by sushi time, warakabune and we be sushi. Eiji is ok but service is a bit slow.

Ichi if you want to drop some serious money. I haven't been in a few years though and went with a BF that was a famous chef so they were for sure pulling out all the stops. Hamano is more Noe Valley but is FANTASTIC, either at a table or the omakase counter, also very weirdly cheap. It looks like a tourist trap from the outside but that's because Saison's former sushi guy bought a 35+ year old joint and changed all the food but not the decor. We Be Sushi is not good but as an SF native I have a lot of nostalgia for it and the lunch specials are a good bargain. Shizen is quite good if you're into vegan/veggie food. I like it much more than Cha-Ya's vegan sushi. Bon, Nene may not be what you're looking for, but it's a French/Japanese fusion and was at one point Michelin rec'd, but not starred. It's interesting and has nice breakfast. Also, Mission and 23rd is where Sun Fat is located and it's the only place I'll buy fish or shellfish to cook at home. Also, it's definitely the supplier for many restos in the area. If you're nice, they will sell you lots of fun treats as well. I really like their packaged seaweed salad they make in house. One time, one of the ladies I'd made friends with brought me out a cup of hot clam broth (much like they serve at Old Clam House) to sip on while I shopped. If you're closer to Zeitgeist, Izakaya Rintaro was good and I like the booth seating they have, kinda like little horse stalls. Might be not the neighborhood you're looking for, but Ijji on Divis is also very good. Sorry if that is too much. I've worked in/run/consulted in restaurants for almost 20 years so food is my partner & I's passion. I like talking about it.

TobinHatesYou posted:

That’s because only thing “good” about cheeseboard is the hippie background story.

100%%%%%%% I grew up in Sebastopol, although now I've moved back to SF I'm like, a third gen San Franciscan or some poo poo so I grew up eating hippie food like that, I wouldn't mark it as the "best" of any particular style.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Ichi if you want to drop some serious money. I haven't been in a few years though and went with a BF that was a famous chef so they were for sure pulling out all the stops. Hamano is more Noe Valley but is FANTASTIC, either at a table or the omakase counter, also very weirdly cheap. It looks like a tourist trap from the outside but that's because Saison's former sushi guy bought a 35+ year old joint and changed all the food but not the decor. We Be Sushi is not good but as an SF native I have a lot of nostalgia for it and the lunch specials are a good bargain. Shizen is quite good if you're into vegan/veggie food. I like it much more than Cha-Ya's vegan sushi. Bon, Nene may not be what you're looking for, but it's a French/Japanese fusion and was at one point Michelin rec'd, but not starred. It's interesting and has nice breakfast. Also, Mission and 23rd is where Sun Fat is located and it's the only place I'll buy fish or shellfish to cook at home. Also, it's definitely the supplier for many restos in the area. If you're nice, they will sell you lots of fun treats as well. I really like their packaged seaweed salad they make in house. One time, one of the ladies I'd made friends with brought me out a cup of hot clam broth (much like they serve at Old Clam House) to sip on while I shopped. If you're closer to Zeitgeist, Izakaya Rintaro was good and I like the booth seating they have, kinda like little horse stalls. Might be not the neighborhood you're looking for, but Ijji on Divis is also very good. Sorry if that is too much. I've worked in/run/consulted in restaurants for almost 20 years so food is my partner & I's passion. I like talking about it.

Thanks for all the recs! I'm right by the Dolores cathedral so some of it is a trek. I've heard good things about Shizen from my vegan friends but usually a wait from what I can tell and will probably check it out since my partner doesn't do fish. I've been to Rintaro's pop-up yakitori and loved it, we keep meaning to try their real menu.

My partner used to work in coffee and we keep in touch with her industry friends, but we're both not missing the 4am wake-up because PG&E decided to shut off power to block and lose temp for a weeks worth of dairy and pastry prep.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

luminalflux posted:

Thanks for all the recs! I'm right by the Dolores cathedral so some of it is a trek. I've heard good things about Shizen from my vegan friends but usually a wait from what I can tell and will probably check it out since my partner doesn't do fish. I've been to Rintaro's pop-up yakitori and loved it, we keep meaning to try their real menu.

My partner used to work in coffee and we keep in touch with her industry friends, but we're both not missing the 4am wake-up because PG&E decided to shut off power to block and lose temp for a weeks worth of dairy and pastry prep.

Hi neighbor! I'm at 19th & Dolores. Luckily, many of those are pretty easy via MUNI. Seriously, try Hamano if nothing else.

E: the 22 will drop you like, two doors from the Lower Haight NARA as well. Carefully read the specials board before ordering and get the Tako with squash dish and the hmachi collar with dipping ponzu if nothing else.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
thanks for sharing your knowledge here dude, it's very much appreciated

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

luminalflux posted:

Generally speaking I think a vegan restaurant's reputation should be taken with a grain of salt, but Shizen is pretty good, actually. I went to Wild Seed a couple weeks ago and it was good as well. The best vegan restaurants are unapologetically but incidentally vegan, if that makes sense :shobon:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Toe Rag posted:

Generally speaking I think a vegan restaurant's reputation should be taken with a grain of salt, but Shizen is pretty good, actually. I went to Wild Seed a couple weeks ago and it was good as well. The best vegan restaurants are unapologetically but incidentally vegan, if that makes sense :shobon:

I agree with that sentiment. I was vegan for 10+ years because I was a punk rock kid in a hippie town and that's what we did in the 90s. I haven't been to WIldseed yet but I've heard good things.

I eat everything now although I don't LOVE cooked eggs or wasabi, but will eat them. I've also eaten at 80%+ of Michelin starred joints in the US, so feel free to ask me anything. I use "dude" as a gender neutral, but I am a woman, just FYI. I have earned three stars in two separate restaurants while I've worked in them, as well as a number of individual awards for bev programs. I'm excited because I'm taking my partner to Meadowwood and neither of us have ever been, so I'm very excited to experience that with him and a liquor company is paying for it, which makes it even better.

I'm happy to talk food any time, so folks feel free to posit questions here if you have any. I also have the industry perspective which is helpful. I think I'm good at describing the sort of experiences you'll have in a joint, so feel free to pick my brain before you drop the cash.

E: Sun Fat regularly has huge tuna heads and collars for $1 a pound. They've had the usual cuts taken off, but still have a ton of meat and the eyes intact. A deal that cannot be beat.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 21, 2019

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

snyprmag posted:

Is Square Pie Guys as good as the hype makes it out to be?

I missed this earlier - I liked it. I also liked the "detroit style" pizza I ate in Traverse City while visiting my partner's family, but they savagely tore it apart for reasons that still don't make sense to me. I've eaten pizza all over the world but I find Arinells, Delfina, Una Pizza Neopolitana (RIP) Golden Boy and Tony's to be good in their own ways. I cannot abide people that think their's is the "one true" whatever. What a boring life. I also have a weird nostalgia for Round Table but I'd never be like, THIS IS THE ONE TRUE PIZZA@!!!!!!!

E: Alamo Drafthouse also has the little pepperonis that curl up and pool all the grease in the center, I sometimes order the mushroom pizza add peps and it's very good, although the crust isn't my favorite.

I promise I don't weigh 500lbs. I'm just a big viking lady.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 21, 2019

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Tried Mozzeria? I haven't been to Delfina in the city, but the ones in Burlingame and Palo Alto didn't blow me away. Down the peninsula, I like Centro in Burlingame for napoletana. Speederia in Redwood City is great for a quick slice of NY-style pizza. I prefer Little Star / Blue Line for Chicago-style, but the quality has gone down over the past few years. It's still better than Patxi's, but Zachary's probably beats them on consistency. I wish I could love Terun because I'm a cyclist and the owners are bigtime cyclists too, but their pizza menu is pretty ... eclectic.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Mozzeria is a block down from me and we just started getting pizza from there. Picking up from them reminds me of being a monitor mixer at a concert - lot of hand signals. I like their salumi and margherita but delfina has a better salsiccia pizza.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

For pizza worth sitting down for and not eating out of a box Lucia's in Berkeley is also quite good

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I’m not from New York so I can’t compare it to actual NY pizza but I’ve always liked A Slice of NY in South Bay.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

recommend me some legit hawaiian poke! anywhere in the bay is fine.

I just came back from HNL and had poke at Ono's seafood and I am in dire need of something that comes close to it...

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I haven’t tried Mozzeria actually! When I’m on that block I usually get Deja Vu pizza because it’s a great deal, huge double slice with crust all around for the price of one slice or go to Pak Wan. If you dig it, I’ll check it out!!

I forgot all about Little Star, as well! A friend of mine works there and it’s very enjoyable to eat at the bar. Strangely, their BBQ chicken pizza is my favorite.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
The general Bay Area thread mentioned Round Table several weeks back, so I got some out of nostalgia. That night I contracted gastroenteritis and proceeded to puke and poo poo violently for 2 days straight. I'd be able to drink water up to a point, but then I'd attempt to drink more and I'd puke it all out. 30 hours after I started making GBS threads continuously, my subsequent shits were pure, clear water...probably cleaner than Aquafina. I lost about 10lbs in water weight in 48 hours.

Would eat again.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Pakwan has cleanliness issues unfortunately, their last score was 71.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Development posted:

recommend me some legit hawaiian poke! anywhere in the bay is fine.

I just came back from HNL and had poke at Ono's seafood and I am in dire need of something that comes close to it...

There is no poke in the Bay Area that is close to Ono's Seafood.

The closest to actual Hawaiian poke you'll get is probably Santo Fish Market in San Jose Japantown. Apart from that everywhere else I've tried is not as good.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

RoyalScion posted:

I’m not from New York so I can’t compare it to actual NY pizza but I’ve always liked A Slice of NY in South Bay.

Slice of New York is also employee owned which is cool and good

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

TobinHatesYou posted:

The general Bay Area thread mentioned Round Table several weeks back, so I got some out of nostalgia. That night I contracted gastroenteritis and proceeded to puke and poo poo violently for 2 days straight. I'd be able to drink water up to a point, but then I'd attempt to drink more and I'd puke it all out. 30 hours after I started making GBS threads continuously, my subsequent shits were pure, clear water...probably cleaner than Aquafina. I lost about 10lbs in water weight in 48 hours.

Would eat again.

It was me! I have a weird nostalgic love of Round Table!! I’m glad you enjoyed.

I will still eat Pakwan. I also still eat Tu Lan and Pho 2000.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Honestly if I was strict about health scores I wouldn’t be able to go to very many immigrant-owned businesses. I check scores just to know, but with the understanding that this pattern indicates an educational mismatch when it comes to those standards. It’s a tough one for me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
It’s definitely a dilemma. If I were immunocompromised, I’m sure I’d care more. I’m super diligent about cross contamination at work but in my personal life I’m pretty ambivalent about it and very very rarely have any issues. Maybe it’s all the booze?